Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Mobile 'phone upgrade

Jump to newest

By *ee Viante OP   Woman
over a year ago

Somewhere in North Norfolk

I am due an upgrade soon and my current 'phone is playing up so ideally, I'd like to get a new one.

I'm on a mid-range plan, with a contract 'phone, so the range available to me should be reasonable. I'll have to pay an upfront amount for some of the higher end 'phones. I'm willing to pay, say, £50, but not £100+.

I have been with my mobile service provider for 16 years so they usually offer me a fairly good deals.

So, I need some suggestions from you all, please.

I have a Galaxy S4 (I-9505), which I like a lot. I have no complaints about it whatsoever and if it wasn't acting up, I'd be happy to keep it.

I've looked at the S6, which seems to be the most obvious choice but there are two things I don't like at all. The first is it doesn't take a memory card and the second is that the battery is not removable.

My criteria (that I can currently think of) are:

- I do not want an Apple 'phone of any sort. I would strongly prefer to stick with Android.

- must be 16Gb minimum AND take a memory card.

- the battery must be removable.

- must have a decent camera

- must fit with what I am willing to spend

- must be something I'm likely to be happy with for two years, until my next upgrade.

As I said, the S4 is great and I'd probably be happy with another of those if they were still available.

I'll be doing some research, of course, but suggestions and recommendations are welcome, please.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *ee Viante OP   Woman
over a year ago

Oops. I meant - must be 32Gb minimum AND take a memory card.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Why not just go for the S5 ?

Removable battery and expandable memory to 128gb

By *thwalescplCouple
over a year ago

brecon

Go for a sim only contract, and buy a second hand android phone that fits what you want off Ebay?

over a year ago

Try the new Samsung that's recently come out I'm

Told it's very good.

If you have been with your service provider 16 years you have a good bargaining tool, I've been with o2 13 years when my contract finished last year I intended to switch eventually they gave me a iPhone 6 Plus 64gb the for the same price as a iPhone 5 so saved me about £350 And my monthly price plan stayed the same.

Get some prices online then call the companies asking them to better the offers then call your service provider see if they will better it.

over a year ago

Iv just got the samsung s6 edge im very happy with it

By *ee Viante OP   Woman
over a year ago

"Why not just go for the S5 ?

Removable battery and expandable memory to 128gb "

I might, if I can still get one. I wondered if there's anything newer that fits my purposes. I've stuck with Samsung for several years now. I'm looking around to see if there's anything else

By *ee Viante OP   Woman
over a year ago

"Go for a sim only contract, and buy a second hand android phone that fits what you want off Ebay?"

I'd prefer to have something new with a warranty. A second hand 'phone could break at any time with no recourse. And there's no way to know what's happened to it in its life.

By *ee Viante OP   Woman
over a year ago

"Try the new Samsung that's recently come out I'm

Told it's very good.

If you have been with your service provider 16 years you have a good bargaining tool, I've been with o2 13 years when my contract finished last year I intended to switch eventually they gave me a iPhone 6 Plus 64gb the for the same price as a iPhone 5 so saved me about £350 And my monthly price plan stayed the same.

Get some prices online then call the companies asking them to better the offers then call your service provider see if they will better it. "

I said in the OP why I don't want the new Samsung - the battery is not removable.

By *ee Viante OP   Woman
over a year ago

"Iv just got the samsung s6 edge im very happy with it"

It doesn't fit my criteria though, or I'd get one too.

By *ee Viante OP   Woman
over a year ago

Has anyone got an LG G4?

over a year ago

"I am due an upgrade soon and my current 'phone is playing up so ideally, I'd like to get a new one.

I'm on a mid-range plan, with a contract 'phone, so the range available to me should be reasonable. I'll have to pay an upfront amount for some of the higher end 'phones. I'm willing to pay, say, £50, but not £100+.

I have been with my mobile service provider for 16 years so they usually offer me a fairly good deals.

I have a Galaxy S4 (I-9505), which I like a lot. I have no complaints about it whatsoever and if it wasn't acting up, I'd be happy to keep it.

I've looked at the S6, which seems to be the most obvious choice but there are two things I don't like at all. The first is it doesn't take a memory card and the second is that the battery is not removable.

- I do not want an Apple 'phone of any sort. I would strongly prefer to stick with Android.

- must be something I'm likely to be happy with for two years, until my next upgrade.

As I said, the S4 is great and I'd probably be happy with another of those if they were still available.

I'll be doing some research, of course, but suggestions and recommendations are welcome, please.

"

You do to many threads.

I know your life story

over a year ago

I've just got a Samsung Galaxy Core Prime. Not sure if it meets all of your requirements (not technically mined here ) might be worth a look?

By *ub_liminalTVTV/TS
over a year ago

Belfast

"I am due an upgrade soon and my current 'phone is playing up so ideally, I'd like to get a new one.

"

The Huawei mate s..

Decent camera, Good powerful innards (octa core.. I think? )

Fingerprint sensor for added security, 3/4gbs of ram - meaning zippy loading for apps / games.

It's a feature packed phone at a mid range price. Huawei make Google's present and highly lauded nexus flagship device..

Xx.

By *ub_liminalTVTV/TS
over a year ago

Belfast

The Huawei mate s..

Fingerprint sensor for added security, 3/4gbs of ram - meaning zippy loading for apps / games.

It's a feature packed phone at a mid range price. Huawei make Google's present and highly lauded nexus flagship device..

Xx. "

Really does seem like a compelling, feature packed phone considering the mid-range price point.

Here's the Android authority YouTube review..

https://youtu.be/jm9LvVsAr4U

By *ee Viante OP   Woman
over a year ago

The Huawei mate s..

Xx.

Really does seem like a compelling, feature packed phone considering the mid-range price point.

.."

That's not a 'phone I was familiar with. It looks good but the battery isn't removable, apparently.

I think it's between the Galaxy S5 Neo and the LG G4.

I've got a few weeks before I can upgrade anyway, so I've got some time to decide.

By *oddyWoman
over a year ago

between havant and chichester

I have the Huawei and have a memory card and battery removes and is easy to use

By *ub_liminalTVTV/TS
over a year ago

Belfast

The Huawei mate s..

Xx.

That's not a 'phone I was familiar with. It looks good but the battery isn't removable, apparently.

I think it's between the Galaxy S5 Neo and the LG G4.

I've got a few weeks before I can upgrade anyway, so I've got some time to decide."

You'll be hard pressed to find something current with a removable battery, it unfortunately seems most manufacturers are going the apple route by restricting what can be easily replaced and thus pushing the planned obsolescence thing even more blatantly.

The LG g4 quad hd screens are gimmicky power guzzlers , not certain if LG rectified the issue or not but a friend had a g3, terrible screen lag, awful temperamental antenna that registered "no network " sporadically even when in full coverage areas, flimsy cheap plastic construction.

Don't be seduced by meaningless gimmicks or branding.

Good luck!..

By *ee Viante OP   Woman
over a year ago

I'm not looking for gimmicks or branding. My criteria were clear (and don't include branding or gimmicks). It must accommodate an external memory card and the battery must be removable.

If I'm going to abandon those requirements, (which I'm not), the choice would be simple because I'd go for a Galaxy S6.

I'm not bothered about it being the most up-to-date, cutting edge 'phone. I don't want anything that will be obsolete before the 2 year contract is up, but currently available smartphones should be ok.

I'm aware manufacturers are moving away from removable batteries. However the LG G4, Galaxy S5 Neo and the Galaxy Note 4 all have them, as do a few others.

The G4 does get criticism for the battery life. I'm less bothered about battery life than I am about the battery being removable.

The S5 Neo is better for battery than the G4 but there isn't a clear cut winner for me at the moment.

Ideally I'd like to hear from people who own one or the other, or who can suggest another 'phone that fits my criteria.

Thanks for your suggestion though.

By *ee Viante OP   Woman
over a year ago

"I have the Huawei and have a memory card and battery removes and is easy to use"

Really?

I know it takes a memory card but the tech specs say the battery isn't removable.

Clearly I need to look into this further.

By *ee Viante OP   Woman
over a year ago

You do to many threads.

I know your life story "

Since I've only been back on the fora for a week, following a prolonged break, I very much doubt that.

By *izzabelle and well hungCouple
over a year ago

Edinburgh.

Phones with removable batteries are sub standard. A battery is just another component why stop at the battery? Mic, speaker, motherboard, buttons, make them all modular and user replaceable. Oh no that would compromise the structural integrity of the phone and make the design more prone to damage.

By *oddamnCouple
over a year ago

leicestershire

Stick to Samsung S5 if you have been happy with your S4. Otherwise you might kicking yourself.

By *ee Viante OP   Woman
over a year ago

"Phones with removable batteries are sub standard. A battery is just another component why stop at the battery? Mic, speaker, motherboard, buttons, make them all modular and user replaceable. Oh no that would compromise the structural integrity of the phone and make the design more prone to damage. "

Thank you for your opinion.

My criteria are still the same.

My current 'phone has a removable battery. I've had it for 2 years and until recently it's been problem free.

My previous 'phone had a removable battery. I had that for more than 2 years and it's still working.

In fact, every 'phone I've had, over 17 or 18 years has had a removable battery and I haven't had a problem with the structural integrity of any of them. I still actually own my first mobile 'phone and it's still in excellent condition.

My laptop has a removable battery and doesn't seem to have any structural problems despite being 8 years old and having been upgraded several times.

My camera, guess what? Removable battery and yet no other electronic components are removable. I'll have had it 16 years in April. It's in perfect condition, perfect working order and seems quite structurally sound.

Maglite in kitchen...batteries are removable. It hasn't fallen apart yet.

In fact, I can think of far more electronics that I own with removable batteries than without.

On this basis I'm going to dispute that a battery is just another component. As far as I can see, it's a component with characteristics that mean it can very often be removable.

What is it with people telling me what I need, or what I should need? I *know* what I need from a 'phone.

Still, at least nobody has tried to tell me I need an iAnything.

over a year ago

Most manufacturers wont be making removal battery phones anymore shortly. They are phasing it out.

I thought id miss being able to swap out my battery for a fully charged one but i dont. Especially as it charges wirelessly xx

Also the s6 memory i have 100s and of pics and music and havent filled mine so far. Howevee i do put most of mine on google play music now to free up space on the phone xx

By *ylonSlutTV/TS
over a year ago

Durham

I recently dropped my S4, and my replacement had pretty much the same requirements as the OP

removable battery

take SD cards

not an apple phone.

looked around and at few and ended up with an S5. Pretty happy with it too, better battery life, and quicker than my S4.

By *illwill69uMan
over a year ago

moston

"

Dont know if it will work for you or not...

but...

I have just (last month) rung my provider (3) to say I was cancelling my contract and they are now falling over themselves to offer me a better deal to keep my custom! In fact they are offering me stuff that they don't even have on display in their online store or high street shops!

Maybe your supplier has the same sort of deals to keep its long-term customers.

By *ee Viante OP   Woman
over a year ago

"I recently dropped my S4, and my replacement had pretty much the same requirements as the OP

removable battery

take SD cards

not an apple phone.

looked around and at few and ended up with an S5. Pretty happy with it too, better battery life, and quicker than my S4."

Thank you

By *ee Viante OP   Woman
over a year ago

but...

I have just (last month) rung my provider (3) to say I was cancelling my contract and they are now falling over themselves to offer me a better deal to keep my custom! In fact they are offering me stuff that they don't even have on display in their online store or high street shops!

Maybe your supplier has the same sort of deals to keep its long-term customers."

I'll do this if necessary but generally I can negotiate good deals without threatening to leave. Usually they say, 'I can see you've been with us for x years, let me see what loyalty discounts we have available'.

Failing that, I find a good deal from another supplier/on a different network and ask them to match it.

over a year ago

If a removable battery is your priority then the choice is simple.

Galaxy S5, does everything your S4 did only faster and sometimes better. Plus you'll have familiarity too. The fact they're still available from service providers tells you that they aren't an out of date old spec phone

over a year ago

we are a samsung family - S5 and S6 edge- son has the s6 and wishes he had gone for the 5 - he was swayed by the curved edge which looks good

By *illwill69uMan
over a year ago

moston

but...

I'll do this if necessary but generally I can negotiate good deals without threatening to leave. Usually they say, 'I can see you've been with us for x years, let me see what loyalty discounts we have available'.

Failing that, I find a good deal from another supplier/on a different network and ask them to match it."

Was not threatening to leave, I have 2 accounts phone and mobile broadband. A change in circumstances means I no longer need the mobile broadband so I was giving them notice that I am cancelling the contract at its termination in April.

I am just astounded with the offers they are making to keep my business.

By *ee Viante OP   Woman
over a year ago

but...

Failing that, I find a good deal from another supplier/on a different network and ask them to match it.

Was not threatening to leave, I have 2 accounts phone and mobile broadband. A change in circumstances means I no longer need the mobile broadband so I was giving them notice that I am cancelling the contract at its termination in April.

I am just astounded with the offers they are making to keep my business."

Ah ok.

over a year ago

meh to contracts.

I bought a Chinese phone (Be Touch 2) 6 months ago for £160 inc shipping & customs

5.5" screen

4G Dual SIM

16gb

SD Card

Removable battery

Android

Cameras not bad but it's not the best but that's not a deal breaker for me

Post new Message to Thread