over a year ago

Woodthorpe

Wear double lycra

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *alandNitaCouple
over a year ago

Scunthorpe

"Be extra careful out there today, very strong winds "

There's been strong winds all week, I just adopt a tuck position and lean in.

Cal

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Yes Yes calling all cyclists "Stay at Home today"

Would be nice just for one day to not have to stop suddenly when one decides to just ride straight accross the front of me LoL.

But on a seriouse side I do like to give them space!

But do be carefull out there!!!!

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Just got a bloody puncture, now waiting roadside for someone to pic me up, does still work in inner cities?

over a year ago

Not good I will fab a few of your pics for u xxxxxx

over a year ago

I'm lay in bed in an airport hotel thinking I'd much rather stay here than go flying today !

over a year ago

Caught the train today, 15 miles in to that wind isn't my idea of fun!

over a year ago

Gertrude sounds like a bitch!

over a year ago

"Caught the train today, 15 miles in to that wind isn't my idea of fun!"

Aye but coming home with it in your back would be a hoot!

By *igmac68Couple
over a year ago

WAKEFIELD

The wife is full of strong wind

over a year ago

I have visions of the tornado scene in wizard of oz with the witch on the bike.

Seriously as a motorist I hate driving in strong winds. I'd hate to be a cyclist in it, hats off to people who are mad enough to ride in it.

Be safe

By *olgateMan
over a year ago

on the road to nowhere in particular

I will drive in any conditions within reason except wind. I really don't like the feeling of being buffeted out of control.

over a year ago

"Caught the train today, 15 miles in to that wind isn't my idea of fun!

Aye but coming home with it in your back would be a hoot!"

Not really I ride a single fixes gear. I dread to think ho fast I'd be spinning!

over a year ago

Got to work eventually, bloody dodgy cycling though, gave the flyovers a miss this time and went under them instead.

By *heBirminghamWeekendMan
over a year ago

here

I wonder if there will be an increase today in the number of cyclists getting clipped by wing mirrors, and the motorist blaming it on the gusting winds ...

By *riskynriskyCouple
over a year ago

Essex.

I wonder how many accidents will happen because some cyclists don't know when to get off and walk?

By *obbytupperMan
over a year ago

Menston near Ilkley

"I wonder how many accidents will happen because some cyclists don't know when to get off and walk?"

over a year ago

"I wonder if there will be an increase today in the number of cyclists getting clipped by wing mirrors, and the motorist blaming it on the gusting winds ...

"

Wonder how many cyclist will be doing the same

over a year ago

Well this could get out of hand with the cyclist bashing I think lol. Being a cyclist myself I see both sides but if people actually used indicators then things wouldnt be so bad. The good thing with the wind is that you can get some king of the mountains on strava lol

over a year ago

Just back after a flat ride on a cycle route and had the wind in my face on a 4 mile segment I normally nail in 10-15 minutes and it took me 35 minutes. I felt like just falling off and lying there

over a year ago

"Just back after a flat ride on a cycle route and had the wind in my face on a 4 mile segment I normally nail in 10-15 minutes and it took me 35 minutes. I felt like just falling off and lying there "

Years ago cycling against a strong head wind, people where walking faster than I could cycle, I ended up getting off and walking for a bit till I was sheltered more from the open

over a year ago

Be better directed at people in high sided vehicles surely

over a year ago

Cycling into a head wind builds character lol. And kets face it it doesn't matter what direction the wind is going in generally it's in your feckin face

By *heOwlMan
over a year ago

Altrincham

"Be extra careful out there today, very strong winds "

Had strong winds most of this week, helped me get to work but I really feel sorry for those following, oops

By *riskynriskyCouple
over a year ago

Essex.

"Well this could get out of hand with the cyclist bashing I think lol. Being a cyclist myself I see both sides but if people actually used indicators then things wouldnt be so bad. The good thing with the wind is that you can get some king of the mountains on strava lol"

As a cyclist, I no longer ride in London. It's far too dangerous due to taxi's, buses and cyclists.

As someone who drives in London, I find a lot of cyclists have no regard for their safety.

By *irty Girty From No 30Woman
over a year ago

Burbage

"Just got a bloody puncture, now waiting roadside for someone to pic me up, does still work in inner cities?"

After my last puncture i invested in puncture proof tires, no more roadside assistance from me

over a year ago

Burbage

"Well this could get out of hand with the cyclist bashing I think lol. Being a cyclist myself I see both sides but if people actually used indicators then things wouldnt be so bad. The good thing with the wind is that you can get some king of the mountains on strava lol

As a cyclist, I no longer ride in London. It's far too dangerous due to taxi's, buses and cyclists.

As someone who drives in London, I find a lot of cyclists have no regard for their safety. "

I find no one in london, drivers or cyclists have any regards for anyones safety

over a year ago

"Well this could get out of hand with the cyclist bashing I think lol. Being a cyclist myself I see both sides but if people actually used indicators then things wouldnt be so bad. The good thing with the wind is that you can get some king of the mountains on strava lol

As someone who drives in London, I find a lot of cyclists have no regard for their safety. "

I rode in London for years and you get desensitised to the danger. Now I only do it occasionally I feel much more vulnerable.

The standard of sone cyclists and their lack of awareness scares the shit out of me to watch

over a year ago

Burbage

As someone who drives in London, I find a lot of cyclists have no regard for their safety.

I rode in London for years and you get desensitised to the danger. Now I only do it occasionally I feel much more vulnerable.

The standard of sone cyclists and their lack of awareness scares the shit out of me to watch"

Its not just cyclists though, some of drivers need to learn to drive with caution

over a year ago

"Just back after a flat ride on a cycle route and had the wind in my face on a 4 mile segment I normally nail in 10-15 minutes and it took me 35 minutes. I felt like just falling off and lying there

Years ago cycling against a strong head wind, people where walking faster than I could cycle, I ended up getting off and walking for a bit till I was sheltered more from the open"

I did consider walking, but walking in cycling shoes cripples me and I don't want to destroy my cleats

By *riskynriskyCouple
over a year ago

Essex.

The standard of sone cyclists and their lack of awareness scares the shit out of me to watch

Its not just cyclists though, some of drivers need to learn to drive with caution"

I totally agree...And a fair few pedestrians need to up their game...

over a year ago

"Just back after a flat ride on a cycle route and had the wind in my face on a 4 mile segment I normally nail in 10-15 minutes and it took me 35 minutes. I felt like just falling off and lying there

Years ago cycling against a strong head wind, people where walking faster than I could cycle, I ended up getting off and walking for a bit till I was sheltered more from the open

I did consider walking, but walking in cycling shoes cripples me and I don't want to destroy my cleats"

I never had cleats back then, do now mind.

over a year ago

It mite be blowing a hooolie out there but it's lovely sat in my armchair with my pussy on my lap n watchin the sea crashin against the beach ??

over a year ago

Its not just cyclists though, some of drivers need to learn to drive with caution"

Oh I totally agree. But motorists are nowhere near as vulnerable as cyclists and pedestrians some of whom seem to have a death wish

By *ntimatediscretionMan
over a year ago

eaglescliffe

well after listening to the local news saying two cyclists were blown off on the high street i went straight home and got my bike out.... no suck fuckin luck though.....

over a year ago

Pmsl Greg

over a year ago

Burbage

Its not just cyclists though, some of drivers need to learn to drive with caution

Oh I totally agree. But motorists are nowhere near as vulnerable as cyclists and pedestrians some of whom seem to have a death wish"

Tell me about it, I was in a cycle lane in Leicester, 6.30am, wore high vis, two red lights on back of bike (one flashing, one not flashing), two lights on front, again one flashing, one not flashing, and two small LEDs lights on spoke of wheels,yet some dumb blind Renault driver couldn't not only see me, but couldn't stay in his lane either, proceed to knock me off my bike and drive off leaving me laying in the road

over a year ago

Was very windy out there in my part of the world also.

I've only ever once turned back because of the weather and am determined never to be defeated again. What I do though is alter my route and go through the back streets where I'm shielded a little on both sides by the houses and trees rather than out in the open on the busy A roads I normally ride.

I also tend to avoid the bypass which is a flyover for a long stretch and I can easily be blown out of the cycle lane.

Extra time for re-routing I have loads of if I plan right in advance. I think its gonna be a real grinder of a slog against the wind for the return journey at 6pm for me tonight because its always worse in the home direction.

over a year ago

Burbage

"Was very windy out there in my part of the world also.

I've only ever once turned back because of the weather and am determined never to be defeated again. What I do though is alter my route and go through the back streets where I'm shielded a little on both sides by the houses and trees rather than out in the open on the busy A roads I normally ride.

I also tend to avoid the bypass which is a flyover for a long stretch and I can easily be blown out of the cycle lane.

Extra time for re-routing I have loads of if I plan right in advance. I think its gonna be a real grinder of a slog against the wind for the return journey at 6pm for me tonight because its always worse in the home direction."

I do this too, I've not yet had any weather condition forcing me to abort my cycling journey

over a year ago

We have a guy cycles to work lives 8 miles away does it all weathers

Trouble is he cuts it fine most days so no time for a shower so some days he honks

I just dont understand why people torture themselves before and after a shift at work

over a year ago

Before the lycra brigade get all uppety i sort cycle myself i do mountain bike trails but only as a hobby i dont see the point in risking my life cycling to and from work

over a year ago

"Wear double lycra "

Nah, floaty dress please ladies

over a year ago

"Before the lycra brigade get all uppety i sort cycle myself i do mountain bike trails but only as a hobby i dont see the point in risking my life cycling to and from work"

I guess it comes down to opinion and how you feel about these things but I actually enjoy the commute regardless of the weather and I certainly don't see it as risking my life. I suppose that while you can't take into account other people's actions/traffic etc and luck etc I've never really felt at risk although it has been suggested I'm probably too thick to notice

But stinking?? Theres no excuse for it I'm sure but cyclists are far from alone in that ..

By *etitesaraTV/TS
over a year ago

rochdale

"Before the lycra brigade get all uppety i sort cycle myself i do mountain bike trails but only as a hobby i dont see the point in risking my life cycling to and from work"

Statistically you are more at risk from a sedentary lifestyle than you are from regularly cycling to work.

Coming myself from a MTB background I have to say that most MTB'ers (I include my former self in this) are pretty damned unfit when compared to those who put the miles in on the road.

I've been cycle commuting for 30yrs but taking up road riding has seriously improved my stamina and CV system, much more than MTB alone ever did. Does mean that the MTB is also more enjoyable now (should the hills ever dry out!)

By *heOwlMan
over a year ago

Altrincham

For me the 8 mile journey to work is the only good bit about work. Work is just an anoying waste of time till cycling the 8 miles back home that pays the bills.

If I drove to work, I would arrive pissed off with the traffic. As it is I get to work quicker, and keep fit. To me comuting to work in a car is frustrating dead time. So i guess we all have different perspectives.

By *heOwlMan
over a year ago

Altrincham

"Before the lycra brigade get all uppety i sort cycle myself i do mountain bike trails but only as a hobby i dont see the point in risking my life cycling to and from work

Statistically you are more at risk from a sedentary lifestyle than you are from regularly cycling to work.

Coming myself from a MTB background I have to say that most MTB'ers (I include my former self in this) are pretty damned unfit when compared to those who put the miles in on the road.

I've been cycle commuting for 30yrs but taking up road riding has seriously improved my stamina and CV system, much more than MTB alone ever did. Does mean that the MTB is also more enjoyable now (should the hills ever dry out!)"

Found something similar when I started rowing, cycling helps keep me fit, but for performance and stamina I spend an hour a day on a rowing machine after work and about 2 hours training on the water a day at the weekend.

over a year ago

"We have a guy cycles to work lives 8 miles away does it all weathers

Trouble is he cuts it fine most days so no time for a shower so some days he honks

I just dont understand why people torture themselves before and after a shift at work "

15 miles each way here, t;s far from torture

It's also a recognised fact that people who cycle/run commute are generally more productive and have less time off sick.

No excuse for poor personal hygene though

over a year ago

"We have a guy cycles to work lives 8 miles away does it all weathers

I just dont understand why people torture themselves before and after a shift at work

15 miles each way here, t;s far from torture

It's also a recognised fact that people who cycle/run commute are generally more productive and have less time off sick.

No excuse for poor personal hygene though"

28 miles a day, fortunately, where I work they do have a shower, so i'm quite fresh for the day ahead after sweating buckets on the way in.

over a year ago

I thought he was going to say there's a new bicycle tax coming in.

By *ust RachelTV/TS
over a year ago

Horsham

I know it was a nice tail wing going to the coach, kept above 35 most of the way.

Not so good with the head wind, I was struggling like mad.

over a year ago

"Before the lycra brigade get all uppety i sort cycle myself i do mountain bike trails but only as a hobby i dont see the point in risking my life cycling to and from work

I've been cycle commuting for 30yrs but taking up road riding has seriously improved my stamina and CV system, much more than MTB alone ever did. Does mean that the MTB is also more enjoyable now (should the hills ever dry out!)"

fitness aint an issue here i used to do a lot of running including 3 london marathons and countless half marathons and played football to a high level only eased off in the past ten years as found other distractions

Post new Message to Thread