Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Tips of staying free of cigs?

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Decided to quit as from today and looking for tips to stay quit. Do the e-cigs really work I hear some people say yes and others go back to cigs.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Good luck to you everyone will be different in how they stop. I find the e cig helps me cut down.

over a year ago

Stay away from e cigs. You'll become addicted to them

over a year ago

Find a new psychological crutch - nailbiting, compulsive masturbation, internet forums.....

over a year ago

"Stay away from e cigs. You'll become addicted to them"

That's what I was wondering as don't want one addiction to lead to another.

By *hick33Woman
over a year ago

Essex

nicotine patches and the inhalator are good. see if your local chemist can help you with monitoring your progress

over a year ago

"Find a new psychological crutch - nailbiting, compulsive masturbation, internet forums....."

Haha

over a year ago

"nicotine patches and the inhalator are good. see if your local chemist can help you with monitoring your progress"

Might try the patches if it get hard, but so far 13 hours in and ok

over a year ago

I read an artice recently on fish oils helping w cravings when giving up smoking. Use a good quality one though as some are shite. Good luck

By *hick33Woman
over a year ago

Essex

also have chewing gum handy or maybe some sweets. good luck and well done

By *adystephanieTV/TS
over a year ago

glos

I went to a hypnotist worked like a dream seriously it was so easy no craving for a cig at all and no mood changes but only lasted for 8 months, I got intoxicated at a party and someone offered my a cig which I smoked and continued down that horrible road again. I'm thinking of trying it again but with top up sessions every 6 months which is what I should have done before I guess

over a year ago

someone I used to work with years ago got addicted to the nicotine patches whilst trying to give up smoking...

he lived in Liverpool but worked in Manchester and he was banned from every chemist within a 5 mile radius of his home and his workplace...

he finally decided to go cold turkey when he realised he was spending most of his earnings on patches and petrol in an attempt to break the 5 mile embargo to find sympathetic chemists who would help him feed his habit

over a year ago

Youll end up addicted to the ecig instead of the fags.. im 27 months off them and i used champix tablets, dont agree with everyone just like all medication but i found them brill, freeze some grapes and eat when u have a craving

over a year ago

"I went to a hypnotist worked like a dream seriously it was so easy no craving for a cig at all and no mood changes but only lasted for 8 months, I got intoxicated at a party and someone offered my a cig which I smoked and continued down that horrible road again. I'm thinking of trying it again but with top up sessions every 6 months which is what I should have done before I guess "

Always wondered if hypnotism.

over a year ago

"someone I used to work with years ago got addicted to the nicotine patches whilst trying to give up smoking...

he lived in Liverpool but worked in Manchester and he was banned from every chemist within a 5 mile radius of his home and his workplace...

he finally decided to go cold turkey when he realised he was spending most of his earnings on patches and petrol in an attempt to break the 5 mile embargo to find sympathetic chemists who would help him feed his habit

"

Didn't know you could get addicted to patches as well

over a year ago

I quit using the tablets and an inhalator. Just find a smoking clinic and have a chat with them.

E cigs weren't out then but I probably would of tried them.

P's keep busy.. mornings and evenings are the worst time.

over a year ago

Thankyou for all your suggestions Appreciated.

By *anchestercubMan
over a year ago

manchester & NI

You can wean yourself off using e-cigs.

But when you have a smoking habit (as in a smoking routine) it's very hard to fill that time and not get tempted.

By *r TriomanMan
over a year ago

Chippenham Malmesbury area

Take up running (that's if you don't already) - you'll soon start to realise that smoke free lungs means that it's easier to run and that your performance improves - you won't to go back to smoking as it'll undo all your hard work.

By *adystephanieTV/TS
over a year ago

glos

"I went to a hypnotist worked like a dream seriously it was so easy no craving for a cig at all and no mood changes but only lasted for 8 months, I got intoxicated at a party and someone offered my a cig which I smoked and continued down that horrible road again. I'm thinking of trying it again but with top up sessions every 6 months which is what I should have done before I guess

Always wondered if hypnotism."

It works and a lot cheaper than cigs and patches I would say, I paid £120 for 2 sessions to actually quit top up sessions are £50

By *adystephanieTV/TS
over a year ago

glos

There are basically two types of smokers

Addictive. Much harder to give up not always successful with hypnotism

Habitual. Easier as it only involves breaking habits which hypnotism seems to work for.

By *anchestercubMan
over a year ago

manchester & NI

"There are basically two types of smokers

Habitual. Easier as it only involves breaking habits which hypnotism seems to work for."

What if you're both?

By *adystephanieTV/TS
over a year ago

glos

Habitual. Easier as it only involves breaking habits which hypnotism seems to work for.

What if you're both?

"

I'm not sure you can be but I never asked that question I'm an habitual smoker

over a year ago

What if you're both?

I'm not sure you can be but I never asked that question I'm an habitual smoker "

I would say its the habit for me not because I actually like it...when you first get up or have a coffee otherwise I'm not too bothered.

By *adystephanieTV/TS
over a year ago

glos

What if you're both?

I would say its the habit for me not because I actually like it...when you first get up or have a coffee otherwise I'm not too bothered."

Habitual is usually a lower number of cigs and not far off the same amount each day, addictive smokers tend to smoke a lot more and can vary dramatically due to other factors such as alchahol or activity.

over a year ago

What if you're both?

I would say its the habit for me not because I actually like it...when you first get up or have a coffee otherwise I'm not too bothered.

Habitual is usually a lower number of cigs and not far off the same amount each day, addictive smokers tend to smoke a lot more and can vary dramatically due to other factors such as alchahol or activity."

Definitely habitual then as its always between 7 and 10 a day.

By *dventureslayerMan
over a year ago

London

I went from smoking to chewing tobacco, then cold turkey. I still occasionally want one even to this day.

By *ingle Beds LassWoman
over a year ago

Bedfordshire

"Youll end up addicted to the ecig instead of the fags.. im 27 months off them and i used champix tablets, dont agree with everyone just like all medication but i found them brill, freeze some grapes and eat when u have a craving"

Me too! 28 months for me. Sadly I'm 2 stone heavier but now I have the smoking habit kicked, I can now change my eating habits

over a year ago

"Youll end up addicted to the ecig instead of the fags.. im 27 months off them and i used champix tablets, dont agree with everyone just like all medication but i found them brill, freeze some grapes and eat when u have a craving

Me too! 28 months for me. Sadly I'm 2 stone heavier but now I have the smoking habit kicked, I can now change my eating habits "

I done slimming world at the same time and lost 3 stone lol, sadly put 2 back on due to health and new shifts at work but back to grindstone il loose it again lol

over a year ago

Try changing your routine.

That's what helped me the most.

Figure out when you are likely to smoke the most, what generally happens around that time and just jiggle things around a bit to take your mind off it.

Yes the stop smoking aids can be addictive, it's because they contain nicotine as do cigs. But it's the other chemicals in cigs that cause the problems. Much better to be addicted to something like patches or gum or ecigs as they don't contain all those killer chemicals!

Good luck, I gave up for 8 years then stupidly went back to it but I'm aiming to stop again soon

over a year ago

Ok I gave up 3 days shy of 11 years, my advice is simple.

1. You must want to quit most of the time doing it on a whim just wint work out. Plan a date to stop

2. Try patches I did for a few days then one morning one fell off and I went the whole day not needing a cig. I found out when I got home and thought don't need them. Stopped and never used the other 4.

3. Chewing gum as soon as i craved I popped one in my mouth would chew for hours soon forgot I wanted a ciggy. Don't have too many otherwise they can cause laxative effects

4. Sniff an ash tray. Jesus makes my stomach churn.

5. Find something to do with hands the habit of holding a fag is hard to kick I still struggle at times.

6. E-cigs bad! I know people who got addicted to the cartridge thingy. You're substituting one habit for another.

Good luck

By *ingle Beds LassWoman
over a year ago

Bedfordshire

"Youll end up addicted to the ecig instead of the fags.. im 27 months off them and i used champix tablets, dont agree with everyone just like all medication but i found them brill, freeze some grapes and eat when u have a craving

Me too! 28 months for me. Sadly I'm 2 stone heavier but now I have the smoking habit kicked, I can now change my eating habits

I done slimming world at the same time and lost 3 stone lol, sadly put 2 back on due to health and new shifts at work but back to grindstone il loose it again lol "

I'm working on SW too but from home with my friends support

By *emmabTV/TS
over a year ago

Leicestershire

"Find a new psychological crutch - nailbiting, compulsive masturbation, internet forums....."

All of those but free of the fags. Just stopped one Monday morning and didn't buy any more.

Post new Message to Thread