Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

How true to yourself are you

Jump to newest

By *iamondsmiles. OP   Woman
over a year ago

little house on the praire

Would you ever do something just to please someone else, because its expected of you or worried about what others think.

I'm not must talking sexually but generally

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Yes I would do things just to please others and wouldn't think it was not being true to myself.

By *rwchcpleCouple
over a year ago

norwich

I do it all the time. I very rarely do what I want to do.

By *ola.Woman
over a year ago

Just where I need to be.

Yes I would if it was expected of me. I don't believe it's not being true to myself. Sometimes we have to do things that we don't want to but life doesn't always revolve around what we want.I wouldn't do something just so people think better of me.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

In certain circumstances yes I would. It would be being true to myself though because I would have made a conscious decision not do it. I would never compromise strongly held principles though.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

To do it I mean.

over a year ago

Yes I would do something purely for somebody else, never because its expected of me but simply because I have no problem going out of my way for others, that is of course depending on who the person was

over a year ago

I do it on a daily basis,it's part of my selfless personality.

over a year ago

"Yes I would if it was expected of me. I don't believe it's not being true to myself. Sometimes we have to do things that we don't want to but life doesn't always revolve around what we want.I wouldn't do something just so people think better of me."
but that is being true to yourself if your happy doing it.

I think I worded it wrong, I ment things that are against your principles or beliefs, maybe I forgot to type the important bit

over a year ago

"Yes I would if it was expected of me. I don't believe it's not being true to myself. Sometimes we have to do things that we don't want to but life doesn't always revolve around what we want.I wouldn't do something just so people think better of me."

I think, from business perspective, I do some things just so customers think better of me. I wouldn't do them if I didn't think the reputation that I gained wouldn't be helpful to the business

By *ivemeyoursoulWoman
over a year ago

Easter just around the corner!

"Yes I would do things just to please others and wouldn't think it was not being true to myself."

By *rightonsteveMan
over a year ago

Brighton - even Hove!

I'm quite easy going so go along with stuff even if it's not my choice. Give and take....

By *iamondjoeMan
over a year ago

Glastonbury

I have difficulties doing things that I regard as pointless or against my core beliefs.

I would, of course, help a friend, someone in need or do a favour.

over a year ago

Isn't doing things for other people a positive side of human nature? Putting others before yourself is rarely a bad thing?

#beinghuman

over a year ago

"Yes I would if it was expected of me. I don't believe it's not being true to myself. Sometimes we have to do things that we don't want to but life doesn't always revolve around what we want.I wouldn't do something just so people think better of me.but that is being true to yourself if your happy doing it.

I think I worded it wrong, I ment things that are against your principles or beliefs, maybe I forgot to type the important bit "

Sometimes it may be against one of my principles but serves a higher order principle in my mind.

over a year ago

I always used to do what was expected of me and generally put others before myself.......... But just recently following some changes in my life and I suppose getting older I have started to put myself first even if it raises a few eyebrows and annoys folk........ Tough!

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 24/01/16 10:32:39]

over a year ago

these days pretty true to myself. I wont do something that's 'expected' if I don't agree with it or think its right.

Depends on the situation though, as others have said.

F

By *iewMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Angus & Findhorn

over time, I set myself from the expectations of others.

it's a great place to be.

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

I'm generally pretty true to myself as I dislike not being. I have done occasional things, such as whilst working, to keep things ticking over a little more smoothly.

over a year ago

"Isn't doing things for other people a positive side of human nature? Putting others before yourself is rarely a bad thing?

#beinghuman"

but would you do it because it was nature instinct or just because people might feel better of you?

By *ola.Woman
over a year ago

Just where I need to be.

"Yes I would if it was expected of me. I don't believe it's not being true to myself. Sometimes we have to do things that we don't want to but life doesn't always revolve around what we want.I wouldn't do something just so people think better of me.but that is being true to yourself if your happy doing it.

I think I worded it wrong, I ment things that are against your principles or beliefs, maybe I forgot to type the important bit "

No I wouldn't just to please someone.I would listen to their request but ultimately I can only go with what I feel is right for me.

over a year ago

On the other had I have done plenty of selfish things where I wasn't being true to myself

over a year ago

*hand

over a year ago

I lived most of my life that way till i was about 27. Always doing things to keep people happy or duty etc.

Then i had an ephihany and thought fuck it. Since then ive been alot more selfish and a lot happier xx

over a year ago

I don't think I do anything that goes against my principles or beliefs.

over a year ago

Yup spent years doing what I thought pleased others. Truth sets you free every time.

over a year ago

"I lived most of my life that way till i was about 27. Always doing things to keep people happy or duty etc.

Then i had an ephihany and thought fuck it. Since then ive been alot more selfish and a lot happier xx"

I'm wondering if selfish people are happier, I'm starting to see evidence that they are.

over a year ago

I think I worded it wrong, I ment things that are against your principles or beliefs, maybe I forgot to type the important bit

I don't think I do anything that goes against my principles or beliefs. "

there you go then.

over a year ago

"I lived most of my life that way till i was about 27. Always doing things to keep people happy or duty etc.

Then i had an ephihany and thought fuck it. Since then ive been alot more selfish and a lot happier xxI'm wondering if selfish people are happier, I'm starting to see evidence that they are."

You don't have to be selfish....just truthful and firm about your own principles,beliefs and feelings. As a species we seem to struggle with that at times.

over a year ago

"Would you ever do something just to please someone else, because its expected of you or worried about what others think.

"

Is that no just life?? Thinking of others is an every day thing.....well unless ur in government

By *inaTitzTV/TS
over a year ago

Titz Towers, North Notts

Yes, it's nice to be nice. Or if in Zummerzet, noice to be noice.

over a year ago

Then i had an ephihany and thought fuck it. Since then ive been alot more selfish and a lot happier xxI'm wondering if selfish people are happier, I'm starting to see evidence that they are.

You don't have to be selfish....just truthful and firm about your own principles,beliefs and feelings. As a species we seem to struggle with that at times.

"

maybe not selfish but putting yourself first. Why are other people more important than doing what's best for you

over a year ago

then no if its against my principles be for you added this it would have been yes the same as most people do

over a year ago

"I have difficulties doing things that I regard as pointless or against my core beliefs.

I would, of course, help a friend, someone in need or do a favour."

Have you read "the power of the powerless" by Havel? Before you tell us the answer; my guess is you have

over a year ago

Then i had an ephihany and thought fuck it. Since then ive been alot more selfish and a lot happier xxI'm wondering if selfish people are happier, I'm starting to see evidence that they are."

Its worked for me. Im not super selfish but im not going out of my way for someone who doesnt deserve it just because its the nice thing to do. Some people just take take take friends and family.

Xx

By *iamondjoeMan
over a year ago

Glastonbury

"I have difficulties doing things that I regard as pointless or against my core beliefs.

Have you read "the power of the powerless" by Havel? Before you tell us the answer; my guess is you have"

Nope, sorry. Never heard of it

over a year ago

Have you read "the power of the powerless" by Havel? Before you tell us the answer; my guess is you have

Nope, sorry. Never heard of it"

Seriously? You'd like it (seriously)

over a year ago

"Would you ever do something just to please someone else, because its expected of you or worried about what others think.

"

Yes it's called compromise.

If there's something that is important to another person, ie family dinner or going out with their friends, that i dont particuarly like or enjoy I'll do it.

It doesnt hurt me but it makes them haply so why not.

over a year ago

"

Yeah almost the whole of last year was dedicated to my friends wedding and being a bridesmaid, pow wows about wedding, numerous fittings and bollocks, money, time, organising 2 uk hen parties, 1 hen weekend in Marbella then the actual wedding in August, raped my purse and my patience, finally got my life back in September only to have to have money for all new back to school stuff then my daughters birthday in October then Xmas. Done so much for other people last year that I forgot I had a birthday in June and turned 32! That's a massive thing for me to forget something. Last year was a cunt, this year I ain't doing fuck all for anyone (apart from my child!)

By *its_n_piecesCouple
over a year ago

he also wrote "toward a civil society" where he criticises the mis-interpretation of "the power of the powerless" and the confining of the notion of dissidence as being solely anti-communist by modern ecomomists. he also sets out the ideas of dissent aimed at globalization and laissez faire capitalism in favour of demark democracy over the interests of business.

By *adystephanieTV/TS
over a year ago

glos

I would not do anything that is against my principals just to please someone as that would make me a hypocrite.

If that's what your question means op

over a year ago

"I would not do anything that is against my principals just to please someone as that would make me a hypocrite.

If that's what your question means op "

it is, although I made a hash of putting it across

over a year ago

I would, of course, help a friend, someone in need or do a favour."

Same as above

It's good to please but I would never do anything I wasn't happy to

I always trust my gut instinct

over a year ago

"he also wrote "toward a civil society" where he criticises the mis-interpretation of "the power of the powerless" and the confining of the notion of dissidence as being solely anti-communist by modern ecomomists. he also sets out the ideas of dissent aimed at globalization and laissez faire capitalism in favour of demark democracy over the interests of business."

I like his notion of dissidence and being true to ones self, possibly the predecessor to 'keeping it real?'

We might chose to apply it to different things though!

By *its_n_piecesCouple
over a year ago

"he also wrote "toward a civil society" where he criticises the mis-interpretation of "the power of the powerless" and the confining of the notion of dissidence as being solely anti-communist by modern ecomomists. he also sets out the ideas of dissent aimed at globalization and laissez faire capitalism in favour of demark democracy over the interests of business.

I like his notion of dissidence and being true to ones self, possibly the predecessor to 'keeping it real?'

We might chose to apply it to different things though! "

exactly what he speaks in towards a civil society ...... to make a choice of what bits to cherry pick is naive and self serving .... dissidence should however be applied to everything about the machinary of the cetralised political state and the parts of it that are run on the states behalf by for-profit business

over a year ago

"he also wrote "toward a civil society" where he criticises the mis-interpretation of "the power of the powerless" and the confining of the notion of dissidence as being solely anti-communist by modern ecomomists. he also sets out the ideas of dissent aimed at globalization and laissez faire capitalism in favour of demark democracy over the interests of business.

We might chose to apply it to different things though!

exactly what he speaks in towards a civil society ...... to make a choice of what bits to cherry pick is naive and self serving .... dissidence should however be applied to everything about the machinary of the cetralised political state and the parts of it that are run on the states behalf by for-profit business"

OK well I said Joe would like it, not that I live by it. But thanks for bursting my bubble!

over a year ago

I'm a gentleman so I always please others before myself

Post new Message to Thread