Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Burns night

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

With Burns night approaching, and my recent trip up to Scotland, to stock up on haggis, square sausage and other traditional scottish fare, I was surprised to find that none of the supermarkets had any fruit pudding, my o/h loves this kind of stuff.

My question is who makes the best fruit pudding and where can you get it south of the border

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

you cant its illegal in england

over a year ago

Scotland... Fruit... Same sentence...

Nurse me meds are wearing off...

over a year ago

You normally get fruit pudding in breakfast packs from supermarkets.

I love the stuff.

over a year ago

" ................

My question is who makes the best fruit pudding and where can you get it south of the border"

There's plenty of small local butchers who'll sell you their own make of all of the above over the counter.

Probably the best way to get fruit pudding (not my favourite) is by mail order from Ramsays of Carluke via ramsayofcarluke.co.uk

No customs declaration required - no duty to be paid.

By *orestersCouple
over a year ago

The Forest

As groundskeeper Willie commented on haggis - "chopped heart and lungs... boiled in a real sheep's stomach... tastes as good as it sounds!"

By *irtyGirlWoman
over a year ago

Edinburgh

Haggis rocks!!

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 21/01/11 11:39:40]

over a year ago

"Haggis rocks!! "
We brought a live one back and it is now running round the hill at the back of our garden

By *mumaWoman
over a year ago

Livingston

"Haggis rocks!! We brought a live one back and it is now running round the hill at the back of our garden"

Haggis is rank!!!! and you're much better with clootie dumpling than the usual fruit pudding

over a year ago

"Haggis rocks!! We brought a live one back and it is now running round the hill at the back of our garden

Haggis is rank!!!! and you're much better with clootie dumpling than the usual fruit pudding"

I don't agree with your comment re haggis but you're spot on about clootie dumpling. The problem is that, unless you make it yourself, really good clootie dumpling is hard to find.

Anyone want my recipe?

over a year ago

I worry about a nation that has caber tossing as it's national sport. How the fook did that come about? "Oh' look, a tree, I think I'll just chuck it over there!"

They must get freaked out when they see a set of cricket stumps, "Ah, Travel Cabers, ain't they cute!"

By *mumaWoman
over a year ago

Livingston

"Haggis rocks!! We brought a live one back and it is now running round the hill at the back of our garden

Haggis is rank!!!! and you're much better with clootie dumpling than the usual fruit pudding

I don't agree with your comment re haggis but you're spot on about clootie dumpling. The problem is that, unless you make it yourself, really good clootie dumpling is hard to find.

Anyone want my recipe?"

I just personally don't like haggis, I rate it alongside liver and tripe. There's a brilliant butcher near me that sells fantastic clootie

over a year ago

"I worry about a nation that has caber tossing as it's national sport. How the fook did that come about? "Oh' look, a tree, I think I'll just chuck it over there!"

They must get freaked out when they see a set of cricket stumps, "Ah, Travel Cabers, ain't they cute!" "

Well would you want to fight someone that lobs trees at you

over a year ago

"I worry about a nation that has caber tossing as it's national sport. How the fook did that come about? "Oh' look, a tree, I think I'll just chuck it over there!"

They must get freaked out when they see a set of cricket stumps, "Ah, Travel Cabers, ain't they cute!" Well would you want to fight someone that lobs trees at you"

That's the point I was making. No I bloody wouldn't, and that's just the women!

I jest, of course. I was semi raised by a scottish family. I say semi raised but what I mean is I invaded my mates house every weekend for years and years. His folks were Glaswegians and at first I couldn't understand a word they said, but I soon got the jist that it wasn't what they said, it was the context in which they said it. Once I understood what was an insult and what was normal conversation I managed to string a couple of words together in reply. Most of the time I just sat there shitting myself.

over a year ago

If we had a "burns night" round here, they would think it was an instruction and the whole place would go up

over a year ago

"If we had a "burns night" round here, they would think it was an instruction and the whole place would go up "
We do. It's called bonfire night

By *mumaWoman
over a year ago

Livingston

They must get freaked out when they see a set of cricket stumps, "Ah, Travel Cabers, ain't they cute!" Well would you want to fight someone that lobs trees at you

That's the point I was making. No I bloody wouldn't, and that's just the women! "

Aye Wishy, yer no far wrong there. So beware!!!!

over a year ago

I still have some clootie dumpling left over from christmas.... anyone fancy a fry up?

over a year ago

"I still have some clootie dumpling left over from christmas.... anyone fancy a fry up? "

4 weeks? It disnae last 4 hours around here

over a year ago

are we talking spotty dick here?

By *empnbunkCouple
over a year ago

south coast

"Haggis rocks!! We brought a live one back and it is now running round the hill at the back of our garden"

i hope you got the special haggis removal license to remove said beast from its native land and you didnt just pop over the border and smuggle it doon to englandshire

over a year ago

i hope you got the special haggis removal license to remove said beast from its native land and you didnt just pop over the border and smuggle it doon to englandshire "

Following a recent decision at Holyrood the aforementioned licence is only required if you're intending to breed the haggis

over a year ago

An Englishman is being shown around a Scottish hospital.

At the end of his visit, he is shown into a ward with a number of patients who show no obvious signs of injury. He goes to examine the first man he sees, and the man proclaims:

Fair fa' yer honest, sonsie face,

Great chieftain e' the puddin' race!

Aboon them a' ye tak your place,

painch tripe or thairm:

Weel are ye wordy o' a grace

as lang's my arm.

The Englishman, somewhat taken aback, goes to the next patient, and immediately the patient launches into:

Some hae meat, and canna eat,

And some wad eat that want it,

But we hae meat and we can eat,

And sae the Lord be thankit.

This continues with the next patient:

Wee sleekit cow'rin tim'rous beastie,

O what a panic's in thy breastie!

Thou need na start awa sae hasty,

wi' bickering brattle.

I wad be laith to run and chase thee,

wi' murdering prattle!"

"Well," the Englishman mutters to his Scottish colleague, "I see you saved the psychiatric ward for the last."

"Nay, nay," the Scottish doctor corrected him, "this is the Serious Burns unit."

over a year ago

i hope you got the special haggis removal license to remove said beast from its native land and you didnt just pop over the border and smuggle it doon to englandshire "

It jumped in the back of the car and would not leave, just kept giong round in circles due to it's shorter legs on the left hand side

over a year ago

"I still have some clootie dumpling left over from christmas.... anyone fancy a fry up?

4 weeks? It disnae last 4 hours around here "

My pal makes lovely big ones for me. Xx

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

okay... i have to ask the following question...

clootie dumpling?????

over a year ago

"okay... i have to ask the following question...

clootie dumpling?????"

Google's your best bet. It'd be really tricky to explain.

over a year ago

"I still have some clootie dumpling left over from christmas.... anyone fancy a fry up? "
Only if you do square sausage and a tattie scone with it

Post new Message to Thread