Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Adult learning...

Jump to newest

By *irtyGirl OP   Woman
over a year ago

Edinburgh

I'm going to sign up for a night class this week. I want to do a creative writing course. I've done a couple of stories and the people who've read them seemed to appreciate them so I thought I'd go and learn how to make them better.

The last couple of years I've done silversmith courses at night school and before that I did a pottery class. I'd really like to get into the woodwork course but it's full this time round so that's going on the list for next time and after that upholstery.

I'm putting off the maths class.

Have you ever done a night class? If so... what was it in? Did you enjoy it? What did you make?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
Forum Mod

over a year ago

I did a Maths and English GCSE a few years ago,I was planning on going back to uni and just wanted to get into the habit of writing and using my brain instead of a calculator again

I loved it,so then I went to uni,graduated just over a year ago,ive had a year of getting used to my new job but now im thinking that I need to do something else and im not sure what I want to do yet...........Hubby would say learn to cook.........I say fuck off thats boring

over a year ago

Spanish.I loved it but had to stop because of the hours at work.Will go back to it sometime.

By *irtyGirl OP   Woman
over a year ago

Edinburgh

I'm much more of a practical sort... I like making stuff so I did think about cooking but the one I wanted to go to was full. I should have been sharper with it so I'll have to be on the ball next term.

I'm better at english than maths but it frustrates the life out of me that I just don't get it. That's sort of my plan for the year so I bought a couple of books to try and teach myself. I don't think I want to go to a class and make a tit of myself in public. Maybe next year I'll have a grasp of the basics and then take that step.

over a year ago

You won't ever make a tit of yourself at an adult learning course.Everyone there is in the same boat.

Forum Mod

over a year ago

"I'm much more of a practical sort... I like making stuff so I did think about cooking but the one I wanted to go to was full. I should have been sharper with it so I'll have to be on the ball next term.

I'm better at english than maths but it frustrates the life out of me that I just don't get it. That's sort of my plan for the year so I bought a couple of books to try and teach myself. I don't think I want to go to a class and make a tit of myself in public. Maybe next year I'll have a grasp of the basics and then take that step.

"

You can do a level 2 maths course online,its the equivilent of a GCSE and it just covers the basics,maths has never been my strong point,I hated it at school to the point where I just gave up with it and was scared to even attempt it,but I wanted to beat those feelings as an adult and it was easier than I thought so give it a go

I don't feel that im any sort of acedemic I just did what I had to do to get where I wanted to be so the next course I do will be for fun and probably a more creative subject,Im crap at photography so may have a go at a photography course

By *r-MissCouple
over a year ago

Derbyshire

I (miss) did a evening class in cooking a few years ago, it was really good and had a go and making dishes that I would never normally attempt. The course was free you just had to bring your own ingrediants.

Would have liked to have done it again, but no longer finnish work in time, would like to try a language class next.

By *irtyGirl OP   Woman
over a year ago

Edinburgh

"I'm much more of a practical sort... I like making stuff so I did think about cooking but the one I wanted to go to was full. I should have been sharper with it so I'll have to be on the ball next term.

You can do a level 2 maths course online,its the equivilent of a GCSE and it just covers the basics,maths has never been my strong point,I hated it at school to the point where I just gave up with it and was scared to even attempt it,but I wanted to beat those feelings as an adult and it was easier than I thought so give it a go

I don't feel that im any sort of acedemic I just did what I had to do to get where I wanted to be so the next course I do will be for fun and probably a more creative subject,Im crap at photography so may have a go at a photography course

"

I did a mock entrance exam for the Police and got 100% in the written section and gave up at question 3 in the maths part.

It's uber frustrating. I'm not stupid but I just don't get it and I've spent so many years avoiding it, it's turned into a big mental block.

Determination is appearing now though!

over a year ago

A level Sociology a few years back

no use to me but what the hey!

By *mumaWoman
over a year ago

Livingston

never done a nightclass, but got my degree through the Open University

By *etillanteWoman
over a year ago

"

I'm brill at what they used to call mental arithmatic, but was useless at algebra and geomatry and was therefore not allowed to take O level Math.

It has always frustrated me

Oh and did a GCSE in French a few years ago. I thought I'd gone for conversational French till they asked me if I was taking the exam lol

over a year ago

Anyone planning an evening class should probably get signed up ASAP. The way further education funding is going there's either going to be fewer classes, higher fees, or both.

over a year ago

I did an access course at my local college, they put you through higher maths, english, history, philosophy psychology IT and geography, in a year. Once those exams are passed you can then apply to uni, that's how I got into St. Andrews uni, don't know if there is an equivalent course in your area, might be worth enquiring. It was an adult only course.

By *ruitWoman
over a year ago

near kings lynn

"Anyone planning an evening class should probably get signed up ASAP. The way further education funding is going there's either going to be fewer classes, higher fees, or both."

I began to do maths and english and was due to be free due to the benefits I am on but then the funding was cut and was going to cost me a large amount to do the training and test etc.

By *ibrosMan
over a year ago

harrow

A foreign language, provided you are going to use it. Did O level Italian several years ago and became quite proficient. Sadly didn't keep it up and now have nightmares about not being understood. Would like to try again, perhaps Spanish next time.

Anyway, all credit to anyone who strives to learn. Education doesn't end with school.

By *edangel_2013Woman
over a year ago

southend

I've just started my first module in a degree with the OU.

Haven't decided where I'm going with it yet. Still haven't decided which degree I'm actually doing yet.

over a year ago

To the OP ... I'm currently undertaking an Access to Creative Writing course and it is the best move I ever made.

If you have the creative flair for writing in any form, I would highly recommend partaking in a course associated with it.

You have to remember that everyone on the course is there for the same reason ... to develop their skills!

I lacked in confidence totally when I walked into the classroom in September and now I am already looking into having my work published!

Take that step forward and you will never look back.

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 17/01/11 17:14:06]

over a year ago

If you like hands on - how about learning to make jewellery? I bought books on it and learned the basic techniques and wirework. I then discovered a local beadstore with all of the supplies (do buy most from internet) and the lady at the shop ran evenign classes for beadwork too so I went to that. I made some gorgeous charm bracelets and my girls ask me to make up accessories for their new outfits instead of paying the prices in shops - they cost about a third of the price to make. Go around the stores and see whats en vogue to make up your designs.

over a year ago

i life everyday is a school day.

over a year ago

not so much night school

but I love to cook so I have signed up for a weekend cookery course in Liverpool

By *nkednkinky_bbwWoman
over a year ago

cannock

I will be going to college from September to do an Access into Health Professions course, followed by 2yrs at uni studying paramedic services. Haven't studied in nearly 20 yrs so I'm as nervous as hell bu I am looking forward to it.

over a year ago

I did French, got to AS level, then a few life-changing events occurred, and I had not had the chance to pick it up again.

over a year ago

I did my apprentiship in plumbing at night. Was still working full time but because we were soo stacked out with work I couldn't go to college in the day!

Although I'm now fully qualified i'm now a sales manager for a stationery business just to be different

By *he_original_poloWoman
over a year ago

a Primark shoebox in Leicester

I am a bit of an OU addict... but I have been thinking about evening classes in something arty, may be pottery.

By *emmefataleWoman
over a year ago

dirtybigbadsgirlville

"I'm going to sign up for a night class this week. I want to do a creative writing course. I've done a couple of stories and the people who've read them seemed to appreciate them so I thought I'd go and learn how to make them better.

The last couple of years I've done silversmith courses at night school and before that I did a pottery class. I'd really like to get into the woodwork course but it's full this time round so that's going on the list for next time and after that upholstery.

I'm putting off the maths class.

Have you ever done a night class? If so... what was it in? Did you enjoy it? What did you make? "

I did night classes for sugarcraft , twas great fun, got very sticky lol

over a year ago

no

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman
over a year ago

evesham

i did a course in British Sign Language Stage 1 years ago but sadly i never took it any further.

my mum keeps saying i should as you can earn a lot doing translation etc

By *arambarMan
over a year ago

swindon

Nope, I've never done a night class at college but I am supposed to be studying in the evenings for a certification related to my career. Trouble is that after working all day, the last thing I want to do is read up on all the technical stuff I do during the day. Instead I find that I prefer to chat to people on here and get d*unk

over a year ago

"i did a course in British Sign Language Stage 1 years ago but sadly i never took it any further.

my mum keeps saying i should as you can earn a lot doing translation etc"

Your mums a wise owl. I honestly believe this should be taught in school rather than a modern foreign language. We are more likely to meet deaf people we would like to communicate with or develop deafness ourselves than use the language we learned.

By *emima_puddlefuckCouple
over a year ago

hexham

I finally got my maths GCSE 2 years ago,i was so proud i cried when the certificate came.

i am currently taking counselling level 1,and hope to move into it as a career.

i am glad u are enjoying your courses DG

By *irtyGirl OP   Woman
over a year ago

Edinburgh

Well we got expelled on the first night!

Forum Mod

over a year ago

you rebel!

over a year ago

I did yoga and I made time.

By *irtyGirl OP   Woman
over a year ago

Edinburgh

"you rebel! "

Sadly I can't take that claim... the class was over-subscribed and they picked names out of a hat for someone to leave. There were 17 instead of 16 and the woman who did the registrations asked the tutor if it was okay and she said no and then when the whole class complained about it they started banging on about health and safety and how another class had to be cancelled cause there was one person too few. My mate and I both left so someone else piped up about how they'd have to cancel that class cause it wasn't full now. She said that wouldn't be necessary. Might write a stroppy email to the council tomorrow.

Some woman came in later than us and her name didn't go into the hat cause she knew the tutor. It's not what you know!

Wasn't meant for me! Disappointing all the same.

By *ig badMan
over a year ago

Up North :-)

I have not done anything in a few years which is a shame. Lack of time dosnt help but i fancy learning something new.

By *emmefataleWoman
over a year ago

dirtybigbadsgirlville

Pogo sticking- whatever its called i always fall off, id like to learn how to stay on

By *irtyGirl OP   Woman
over a year ago

Edinburgh

"Pogo sticking- whatever its called i always fall off, id like to learn how to stay on "

I could teach you that!

What would you like to teach me?

By *emmefataleWoman
over a year ago

dirtybigbadsgirlville

"Pogo sticking- whatever its called i always fall off, id like to learn how to stay on

I could teach you that!

What would you like to teach me? "

im quite good at making sugaercraft things would that do?

By *irtyGirl OP   Woman
over a year ago

Edinburgh

"Pogo sticking- whatever its called i always fall off, id like to learn how to stay on

I could teach you that!

What would you like to teach me? im quite good at making sugaercraft things would that do? "

What would I do with them? Like for cakes and stuff? That sounds cool! Masterclass at your house?

By *emmefataleWoman
over a year ago

dirtybigbadsgirlville

I could teach you that!

What would you like to teach me? im quite good at making sugaercraft things would that do?

What would I do with them? Like for cakes and stuff? That sounds cool! Masterclass at your house? "

yeah, we could spend an afternoon making willies of all shapes n sizes out of sugar

over a year ago

I'm currently back at uni. Finish in the summer but I was just thinking the other day that I enjoy learning and will do something else part time once I finish this full time course.

My course is pretty practical but would like to maybe further my photography skills. But I'd really like to get into something academic, like pyschology or maybe some history again.

By *irtyGirl OP   Woman
over a year ago

Edinburgh

I could teach you that!

What would you like to teach me? im quite good at making sugaercraft things would that do?

What would I do with them? Like for cakes and stuff? That sounds cool! Masterclass at your house? yeah, we could spend an afternoon making willies of all shapes n sizes out of sugar "

Can we have wine? Mind you, that might hinder the pogo lesson... well the one with the stick!

By *emmefataleWoman
over a year ago

dirtybigbadsgirlville

I could teach you that!

What would I do with them? Like for cakes and stuff? That sounds cool! Masterclass at your house? yeah, we could spend an afternoon making willies of all shapes n sizes out of sugar

Can we have wine? Mind you, that might hinder the pogo lesson... well the one with the stick! "

lol, dont be putting stuff like that up in a public forum they will all want to come

By *irtyGirl OP   Woman
over a year ago

Edinburgh

I could teach you that!

What would I do with them? Like for cakes and stuff? That sounds cool! Masterclass at your house? yeah, we could spend an afternoon making willies of all shapes n sizes out of sugar

Can we have wine? Mind you, that might hinder the pogo lesson... well the one with the stick!

lol, dont be putting stuff like that up in a public forum they will all want to come "

No means no!

They can't come! It's a private pogo lesson!

over a year ago

Not sure if its the same but i do both family literacy and numeracy and with my youngest its great fun. Methods have changed a lot since I was at school and it helps with homework and stuff.

By *eighleedsMan
over a year ago

leeds

"never done a nightclass, but got my degree through the Open University"

same here

And can highly recomend that route if you can not do a full time degree course

By *edhotminxWoman
over a year ago

Turn left at the Singing Ringing Tree

I studied for my Teaching Certificate at evening classes, so that I could be qualified to teach ..... evening classes! All of us on the course were people who were skilled in a craft, but before we could teach it to adults, we had to have a Teaching Certificate! One lady had 30 years experience in lace making, but if she didn't get the Certificate then they would cut her pay by 50% as she wouldn't be properly qualified.

It was quite an expensive course to do, and we all passed. With the new College year scheduled to come in, the Government then changed the rules and would only subsidise courses that had an exam at the end of it - so all the craft courses were then cut (unless they were City & Guilds).

So the College would no longer offer courses in metal work, lace making, quilting, hedge laying, yoga, stain glass etc. 12 newly certified Adult Education Teachers and only 4 could use it for courses at the College.

over a year ago

I had to do my PTTLS for my last job, so I could teach adults for their NVQ courses

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

If I have read this right, and forgive me if I haven't, is that you believe that the government should have continued subsidising people to take courses in crafts like Lace Making and Glass Painting?

To what end?

What benefit is it to the country or the economy for people to have subsidised hobbies?

So I would say that unless it may lead to either employment possibilities or promotion within a current job then why should it be subsidised by the general public so someone can learn to make lace tablecloths?

By *edhotminxWoman
over a year ago

At that time all courses were subsidised, and the only place that you could do evening classes were at College facilities. A lot of people want to learn a new skill, but the prospect of doing an exam at the end of it puts them off.

With regards your specific question, you could then apply that to all the City & Guilds courses that they do in Upholstery, Quilting, Blacksmithing, Embroidery. Skills like embroidery, lace making and other crafts are becoming very specialised, as these are being lost because people assume they don't have a place. If people don't learn these skills, then who will be able to restore tapestries in National Trust buildings, who will be able to replace items for English Heritage, or repair churches. Just because it doesn't fit into a criteria that will advance someone's job, doesn't mean that is less valuable to society.

We all take course that we fancy doing, and from there new careers can and do follow.

over a year ago

European policy

The value of adult learning to employability and mobility is widely acknowledged across the EU, but it still needs greater recognition and resources. At present, adult participation in ‘lifelong learning’ varies greatly and is unsatisfactory in many EU countries. The European Union set a target for average participation in lifelong learning throughout the EU at 12.5% by 2010 for adults aged 25-64. In 2008, average participation was 9.5%.

Action has been taken at the EU level to address these shortcomings. The European Commission adopted a Communication on Adult Learning in October 2006, followed up by an Action Plan that was endorsed by national education ministers in May 2008

Five urgent issues are identified:

•To reduce labour shortages due to demographic changes by raising skill levels in the workforce generally, and by upgrading low-skilled workers (80 million in 2006);

•To address the persistently high number of early school leavers (nearly 7 million in 2006), by offering a second chance to those who enter adulthood without any qualifications;

•To reduce poverty and social exclusion among marginalised groups. Adult learning can both improve people's skills and help them achieve active citizenship and personal autonomy;

•To increase the integration of migrants in society and labour markets. Adult learning should offer tailor-made courses – including language learning – to help the process. Adult learning can help migrants to secure validation and recognition of their qualifications;

•To increase participation in lifelong learning, particularly to address the decrease in participation over the age of 34. With the average working age rising across Europe, there should be a corresponding increase in adult learning by older workers.

over a year ago

I am doing a few things on open university at the moment..

I am never not learning something.. I am addicted to getting new qualifications..

Learning Latin and doing a module on mental health at the moment.

Katie.x

over a year ago

i have done two evening classes beauty therapy and jewellery making i enjoyed the practical in beauty therapy as we did waxing lol

By *edhotminxWoman
over a year ago

"i have done two evening classes beauty therapy and jewellery making i enjoyed the practical in beauty therapy as we did waxing lol "

Was the practical on a man?

I know it's cruel to laugh at someone else's pain, but I remember watching a Graham Norton show where a man volunteered to do something and ended up having a back, crack and sack waxing on live TV. I had tears of laughter running down my cheeks by the time they had finished - I don't think his tears were of laughter.

over a year ago

lol i wish it was a female only class but a guy would have been such fun any volunteers lol

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 26/01/11 14:43:11]

over a year ago

"European policy

The value of adult learning to employability and mobility is widely acknowledged across the EU, but it still needs greater recognition and resources. At present, adult participation in ‘lifelong learning’ varies greatly and is unsatisfactory in many EU countries. The European Union set a target for average participation in lifelong learning throughout the EU at 12.5% by 2010 for adults aged 25-64. In 2008, average participation was 9.5%.

Action has been taken at the EU level to address these shortcomings. The European Commission adopted a Communication on Adult Learning in October 2006, followed up by an Action Plan that was endorsed by national education ministers in May 2008

Five urgent issues are identified:

•To reduce labour shortages due to demographic changes by raising skill levels in the workforce generally, and by upgrading low-skilled workers (80 million in 2006);

•To address the persistently high number of early school leavers (nearly 7 million in 2006), by offering a second chance to those who enter adulthood without any qualifications;

•To reduce poverty and social exclusion among marginalised groups. Adult learning can both improve people's skills and help them achieve active citizenship and personal autonomy;

•To increase the integration of migrants in society and labour markets. Adult learning should offer tailor-made courses – including language learning – to help the process. Adult learning can help migrants to secure validation and recognition of their qualifications;

•To increase participation in lifelong learning, particularly to address the decrease in participation over the age of 34. With the average working age rising across Europe, there should be a corresponding increase in adult learning by older workers.

"

policy - politic - rhetoric - classes are being cut back continually and have been for some time.

over a year ago

"At that time all courses were subsidised, and the only place that you could do evening classes were at College facilities. A lot of people want to learn a new skill, but the prospect of doing an exam at the end of it puts them off.

With regards your specific question, you could then apply that to all the City & Guilds courses that they do in Upholstery, Quilting, Blacksmithing, Embroidery. Skills like embroidery, lace making and other crafts are becoming very specialised, as these are being lost because people assume they don't have a place. If people don't learn these skills, then who will be able to restore tapestries in National Trust buildings, who will be able to replace items for English Heritage, or repair churches. Just because it doesn't fit into a criteria that will advance someone's job, doesn't mean that is less valuable to society.

We all take course that we fancy doing, and from there new careers can and do follow. "

totally agree, but most "funded or part funded" courses are now only paying colleges out from the fun on "hits", that means if someone gets a certificate. This was introduced under the "so-called" Labour Government.

Post new Message to Thread