Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Crap digital signal...

Jump to newest

By *nvictus OP   Man
over a year ago

Beeston

Is it just me or does anyone else loose some of their digital channels (usually 3, 4 and 5) when we have bad weather such as heavy rain or fog? The neighbours do as well.

If digital's the future I ain't impressed. I rang the help line and got told we are in a poor reception area but, hey don't worry, the signal will be much stronger in August.

ffs, August!!

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

can happen, with heavy cloud/rain combination,as it blocks the incoming signal,still get loss of signal with my 80cm dish receiving Hotbird, mind you the lnb is only held on with elastic bands...agree the blocking is anoying though.

By *eighleedsMan
over a year ago

leeds

digital signals are at low power on transmitters that have not had the switch over yet, I.E still broadcasting analogue,

Once the analogue signal is switched off, the digital signal is broadcast at a higher power, i guess thats why they are telling you August if thats when the siwtchover happens in your area

over a year ago

We've lost channel 1 = old virgin, ITV 3, quest, fiver + fiver US.& a few other channels we used to get them all till about 4 months ago.

* Creeps round graveyard *

over a year ago

we got snowed in last month and I had to get on the roof to clear the snow off the dish. which was interesting. even filmed it in case of a 'you've been framed' moment

over a year ago

"we got snowed in last month and I had to get on the roof to clear the snow off the dish. which was interesting. even filmed it in case of a 'you've been framed' moment"

I take it you didn't do a 'Nigel Pargetter' then?

over a year ago

I'm delighted to see this thread - I was beginning to think the problem was with my digital box and was wondering if I ought to replace it.

While on the subject (sorta) does the poor weather signal drop out apply to digital (DAB) radio signals?

By *inktherapyCouple
over a year ago

Gloucester

No - but crap weather seems to affect our (Virgin Media) broadband

Forum Mod

over a year ago

The only thing that affects ours is really heavy rain and thunder

By *eighleedsMan
over a year ago

leeds

"I'm delighted to see this thread - I was beginning to think the problem was with my digital box and was wondering if I ought to replace it.

While on the subject (sorta) does the poor weather signal drop out apply to digital (DAB) radio signals?"

yes, all radio signals can be affected by the weather, they can also be affected by the construcion of the building you are in, ,

try moving the aterial a few inches, this can make a huge difference to the reception

over a year ago

Same here. Got bad rain so crap single

By *nvictus OP   Man
over a year ago

Beeston

Thanks for the posts, I'm glad it's not just me. Ho-hum, see what happens in August then, either that or pay £50 for a call out

By *eighleedsMan
over a year ago

leeds

you can by a signal strentght meter from Maplin or B&Q for about £18

As long as you or you have someone who can climb a laddder to makeany adjustments you do not need to spend £50

over a year ago

Are we talking Digital via a dish or digital via an aerial ?

If it's a dish and you are losing signal in poor weather you'll find that it probably hasn't been correctly aligned - possibly the skew angle of the LNB or general misalignment of the dish itself. Don't try to adjust it yourself without a signal strength meter - you'll never do it. A quarter inch in either direction can result in a no signal situation. If the dish is old then the surface may have deteriorated which again will give you a poor bit error rate, resulting in freezing, drop out etc

If we're talking about freeview then the problem could still be caused by poor aerial alignment or an aerial which is either not digitally compatible or has insufficient gain to attract a strong enough signal. Also poor grade or old coax cable will cause massive attenuation of the signal so make sure it's good quality cable. Cheap nasty cable usally has a very poor level of screening also, which will allow spurious signals from other sources and general electrical noise to enter the downlead and corrupt the digital signal

over a year ago

"I'm delighted to see this thread - I was beginning to think the problem was with my digital box and was wondering if I ought to replace it.

While on the subject (sorta) does the poor weather signal drop out apply to digital (DAB) radio signals?

yes, all radio signals can be affected by the weather, they can also be affected by the construcion of the building you are in, ,

try moving the aterial a few inches, this can make a huge difference to the reception"

Thanks. I haven't bought a digital radio yet simply because of the problems I've been having with my television signal which comes from a big aerial on an adjacent building via a cable to a DVD recorder with a Freeview box built in.

Most of the time it's absolutely fine but when the weather's crap the signal can drop out.

over a year ago

"No - but crap weather seems to affect our (Virgin Media) broadband "
.... How it's cable connection??????????

*creep round graveyard *

By *harpDressed ManMan
over a year ago

Here occasionally, but mostly somewhere else

I get a bad digital signal all the time.

Every time I ask to borrow a fiver...

over a year ago

"No - but crap weather seems to affect our (Virgin Media) broadband "

That could be water ingress somewhere. Either at the junction box on the wall outside your house, or in the chamber by the street cabinet somewhere near your house (it feeds all the houses nearby).

Get VM to check it out.

S.

By *arambarMan
over a year ago

swindon

When I had a Dreambox I needed a signal booster that connected between the digibox and the cable, otherwise I had problems with the HD channels. Was quite a common problem with the Dreambox DM800HD boxes, but luckily the booster was only about £3.

Post new Message to Thread