Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Xmas Holiday preference if you have kids

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Wandered into work today to find a full on argument going on.

One of the ladies was passionately defending the point that she feels her husband should have preference getting time off at Xmas over people who don't have children!

Not having kids and having a job where you are off anyway it's never really crossed my mind. But I was quite surprised how divisive this issue was.

Do you think parents should have preference? I can see it throws up a lot of factors but I'm in the treat employees the same unless compassionate circumstances dictate camp.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

little house on the praire

It depends, where my son works they've done it between themselves, those with children are having Christmas day and those that want to go on the razz new years eve are having new years day..

I do think they should be treated equal, but I also think that if possible and people are agreeable shifts should be able to be swapped about.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

I used to get this every year when I worked in retail. I was the only one on my department who didn't have kids so always ended up working Christmas Eve and Boxing Day. I would then have new year off but I never used to go out anywhere so wasn't really a bonus. Plus I had all the stress of getting everything ready for the Boxing Day sales

over a year ago

It can be hard especially for single parents, child care is the biggest issue, if you have to work Christmas Day and you have to find childcare it can be a nightmare, but then again it's probably worth finding a job where you can have those days off

But let's take a moment to think off the people that make sure our Christmas goes well and safe, police, fire brigade, ambulance crews, nurses, doctors, coastguard and care staff, they can't all have the day off, but they do the job with only the passion for helping people driving them, because let's face it, it ain't the money

over a year ago

I'd like to think that those with young children where it's still 'magic' would get priority because you don't ever get that time back.

I had to work Xmas eve and Boxing Day of my son's first Xmas. I was gutted.

I now work somewhere I can have the entire Xmas period off if I want to, which is what I've done now.

over a year ago

"It can be hard especially for single parents, child care is the biggest issue, if you have to work Christmas Day and you have to find childcare it can be a nightmare, but then again it's probably worth finding a job where you can have those days off

But let's take a moment to think off the people that make sure our Christmas goes well and safe, police, fire brigade, ambulance crews, nurses, doctors, coastguard and care staff, they can't all have the day off, but they do the job with only the passion for helping people driving them, because let's face it, it ain't the money"

This!

over a year ago

"I'd like to think that those with young children where it's still 'magic' would get priority because you don't ever get that time back.

I had to work Xmas eve and Boxing Day of my son's first Xmas. I was gutted.

I now work somewhere I can have the entire Xmas period off if I want to, which is what I've done now."

the kids are only young once so I kind of agree with you although even for those without children it might be the one time of year they get to see all of their family in the same place at the same time so I would hope that a happy compromise can be sorted in most cases

By *ola.Woman
over a year ago

Just where I need to be.

My work I don't have holiday periods.People with small children do not get preferential treatment as nearly everyone wants to spend time with loved ones.I ask what everyones choices are and tried to cater for all.I am actually working a 14 hr shift Christmas day as my children are adults and I have been lucky to spend Christmass with them when they were little.This allows people with young children the day off.I get a break after and celebrate on Boxing Day with all my family.

over a year ago

As a single mum my work were really good. I work in a care home so it's 24/7 care. As I have children and live alone with them they gave me xmas day and boxing day off. Some of the younger staff and staff without young children offered to work those days so us parents could spend the day with our kids. Think I'm lucky to work with lots of lovely people though. Xx

By *aneandpaulCouple
over a year ago

cleveleys

Love school holidays can get my car out the drive with out some parent parking there while they take there fat little child to school if they walked with there child they would not carry so much weight they have no consideration about peoples drive ways,s and blocking people in

By *awandOrderCouple
over a year ago

SW London

"Love school holidays can get my car out the drive with out some parent parking there while they take there fat little child to school if they walked with there child they would not carry so much weight they have no consideration about peoples drive ways,s and blocking people in "

They may be on their way to work, so not always time to walk their child to school??

By *manda63Woman
over a year ago

Southampton

My daughter works in a nursing home. She has no children but it seems that most years she is rostered on to work Xmas day. It's her choice of job but she still has family and I think the home should split it fairly each year.

By *aneandpaulCouple
over a year ago

cleveleys

"Love school holidays can get my car out the drive with out some parent parking there while they take there fat little child to school if they walked with there child they would not carry so much weight they have no consideration about peoples drive ways,s and blocking people in

They may be on their way to work, so not always time to walk their child to school??"

so we don,t have to get our car,s out and go to work

over a year ago

"Love school holidays can get my car out the drive with out some parent parking there while they take there fat little child to school if they walked with there child they would not carry so much weight they have no consideration about peoples drive ways,s and blocking people in "

Whilst I understand that blocking someone's drive is unacceptable, your post is a) irrelevant and b) rude.

By *aneandpaulCouple
over a year ago

cleveleys

"Love school holidays can get my car out the drive with out some parent parking there while they take there fat little child to school if they walked with there child they would not carry so much weight they have no consideration about peoples drive ways,s and blocking people in

Whilst I understand that blocking someone's drive is unacceptable, your post is a) irrelevant and b) rude."

if it happened to you every day would you not be rude some park and don,t come back for a long time

By *irtyGirlWoman
over a year ago

Edinburgh

I don't know how you work that out in a fair way but if it were me then I wouldn't argue over it. I don't have kids so it's a no brainer, I'd take the shift and let the families have Christmas with their kids.

over a year ago

Whilst I understand that blocking someone's drive is unacceptable, your post is a) irrelevant and b) rude.if it happened to you every day would you not be rude some park and don,t come back for a long time"

I know you shouldn't have to, but is it worth investing in a couple of cones and using them over your driveway? I can imagine it's a right royal pain in the arse if you're stuck in due to someone else's inconsiderate parking.

By *irtyGirlWoman
over a year ago

Edinburgh

How did we get from who works Christmas to parking?

By *manda63Woman
over a year ago

Southampton

Whilst I understand that blocking someone's drive is unacceptable, your post is a) irrelevant and b) rude.if it happened to you every day would you not be rude some park and don,t come back for a long time"

I'm a school lollipop lady and agree with both your posts. Some parents do park inconsiderately, and drive when they could walk. I know this because I know where most of them live and some could walk as they don't work. They block the drop kerbs, preventing me from doing my job safely and I can't always ask them to move as they aren't in their car.

over a year ago

"

How did we get from who works Christmas to parking? "

You got to love it. We have had a moment for the emergency services and now parking. I wonder where next?

By *aneandpaulCouple
over a year ago

cleveleys

Whilst I understand that blocking someone's drive is unacceptable, your post is a) irrelevant and b) rude.if it happened to you every day would you not be rude some park and don,t come back for a long time

I know you shouldn't have to, but is it worth investing in a couple of cones and using them over your driveway? I can imagine it's a right royal pain in the arse if you're stuck in due to someone else's inconsiderate parking."

We have tried that they just move them we have a long drive they have even backed onto it we can not see the end from our house the drive way curves

By *ola.Woman
over a year ago

Just where I need to be.

"

You got to love it. We have had a moment for the emergency services and now parking. I wonder where next? "

I can't get a meet as all the women are working or spending time with their families.

By *ove bi guysWoman
over a year ago

Birmingham

I don't have children but my family are as important to me and I want my time with them. I lost my nan and great aunt last Christmas /New Year and I am so glad for the Christmases I did have with them.

Christmas is a time for everyone, babies, kiddies, family and friends.

I'm happy to do my share of bad shifts but I don't agree people with children should have a first dips on time off.

By *oddyWoman
over a year ago

between havant and chichester

Iam working for a workmate who should be on xmas night but has a 5 yr old plus she has no transport and would cost her 100,00 in taxis to get in and home again she is covering a weekend off for me in jan next yr xmas and new yr fall on all my shifts and you can bet no one will offer to do any for me

By *aneandpaulCouple
over a year ago

cleveleys

"I don't have children but my family are as important to me and I want my time with them. I lost my nan and great aunt last Christmas /New Year and I am so glad for the Christmases I did have with them.

I'm happy to do my share of bad shifts but I don't agree people with children should have a first dips on time off."

it,s worse when you employ people with kids you have got to let them have the first dip or they just ring in sick and you have no one working for you in the pub trade many year,s stopped asking them to work or do extra shifts

By *ove bi guysWoman
over a year ago

Birmingham

"I don't have children but my family are as important to me and I want my time with them. I lost my nan and great aunt last Christmas /New Year and I am so glad for the Christmases I did have with them.

I'm happy to do my share of bad shifts but I don't agree people with children should have a first dips on time off.it,s worse when you employ people with kids you have got to let them have the first dip or they just ring in sick and you have no one working for you in the pub trade many year,s stopped asking them to work or do extra shifts"

Grrrr.... that really gets my goat !

over a year ago

"

You got to love it. We have had a moment for the emergency services and now parking. I wonder where next?

I can't get a meet as all the women are working or spending time with their families. "

I can't get to a meet as I can't get my car off the drive

By *aneandpaulCouple
over a year ago

cleveleys

I'm happy to do my share of bad shifts but I don't agree people with children should have a first dips on time off.it,s worse when you employ people with kids you have got to let them have the first dip or they just ring in sick and you have no one working for you in the pub trade many year,s stopped asking them to work or do extra shifts

Grrrr.... that really gets my goat ! "

does it happen were you work

over a year ago

In my opinion I feel people with children aged between 5-10 should get Christmas Eve (evening/night) and Christmas morning off. This is the ages that count down to the day and get excited about the magic of Christmas.

Before that age Christmas can be done on any day and after they are old enough to understand. I'm lucky in that I have not had to work the Christmas morning yet, I've done lates and I've worked the nights, this year I'm on Christmas Eve.

At the end of the day Christmas can be celebrated on any day for adults so I do parents of children of certain ages should get it off.

By *ove bi guysWoman
over a year ago

Birmingham

I'm happy to do my share of bad shifts but I don't agree people with children should have a first dips on time off.it,s worse when you employ people with kids you have got to let them have the first dip or they just ring in sick and you have no one working for you in the pub trade many year,s stopped asking them to work or do extra shifts

Grrrr.... that really gets my goat ! does it happen were you work "

Not in this job because they have a lot of term time workers so mostly it's avoided but it did in a prev job.

My old boss got so annoyed he refused to pay anyone who was 'sick' without a Dr's note and anyone 'sick' was refused overtime for rest of the month ... kept majority in line

By *ove bi guysWoman
over a year ago

Birmingham

"In my opinion I feel people with children aged between 5-10 should get Christmas Eve (evening/night) and Christmas morning off. This is the ages that count down to the day and get excited about the magic of Christmas.

Before that age Christmas can be done on any day and after they are old enough to understand. I'm lucky in that I have not had to work the Christmas morning yet, I've done lates and I've worked the nights, this year I'm on Christmas Eve.

At the end of the day Christmas can be celebrated on any day for adults so I do parents of children of certain ages should get it off. "

I can't go to Christmas morning mass on any other day but Christmas

over a year ago

Marc and I don't have kids. I have been in the siuation where we have had to decide who gets off Christmas. It can get a bit frustrating if it happens every year.

With that in mind, in most cases, I would just work it and let those with little kids have the day off. But once your kids are older, then I think you lose the "I have kids so I should get Christmas off" argument.

When I lived in NY it was never an issue because people who don't celebrate Christmas (Jewish people, Muslims, etc.) would usually volunteer for the Christmas shifts.

-Courtney

over a year ago

I've been very lucky in my working life that I only ever worked one Christmas Day and that was in my first job and I was 17 since they I haven't worked Christmas Day since, I've either worked in places that close for the day or I have had the option to have the day off, at my old job in a care home we could choose our shifts over a two week period and getting people to work Christmas Day was never a problem the only problem was everyone wanted the early shift not the late one.

I have three kids and I've always said if 'I have to work I would' but always been very, very lucky; I have worked Boxing Day in plenty of my jobs but I find that a non day really!!

I always work New Year's Eve and day if required too as all the youngesters want to go out and have fun, which I think is quite a fair thing to do really; they work Christmas so those that have kids or whatever can enjoy the day and we work the most hungover day of the year so they can do their thing

By *om and JennieCouple
over a year ago

Chams or Socials

Whilst I understand that blocking someone's drive is unacceptable, your post is a) irrelevant and b) rude.if it happened to you every day would you not be rude some park and don,t come back for a long time

I know you shouldn't have to, but is it worth investing in a couple of cones and using them over your driveway? I can imagine it's a right royal pain in the arse if you're stuck in due to someone else's inconsiderate parking.We have tried that they just move them we have a long drive they have even backed onto it we can not see the end from our house the drive way curves"

Contact your council to paint a single white line across your access & complain to the school every time it happens - give reg numbers. I live 3 doors from my son's school but he walks 0.7 miles from childminders

& back again in the afternoon. He is overweight/fat/obese whatever you choose to call it due to a hereditary under active thyroid problem so please think before you moan about fat children again as it's the 2nd time this week you've mentioned it.

By *od ThrusterMan
over a year ago

Newport Pagnell

Depends on the job. If a skeleton staff is acceptable then it seems fair to rotate it equally.

I think parents with kids (is there another kind?) should have priority during school holidays generally if they are going away as they cannot go at other times these days with fines etc. Plus those without kids get the cheaper times out of school holidays!

over a year ago

Single parents have protection under workers rights coz of the child care issue mentioned above.

Maybe everyone could just work a couple of hours xmas day then everyone gets almost the whole day off?

over a year ago

Nothing more annoying than people with children expecting they should get preferential treatment, you had them, you took a job knowing it involves working Christmas so you arrange life to suit and stop expecting everyone else to...

xx

By *aneandpaulCouple
over a year ago

cleveleys

"Nothing more annoying than people with children expecting they should get preferential treatment, you had them, you took a job knowing it involves working Christmas so you arrange life to suit and stop expecting everyone else to...

xx "

true

over a year ago

"Nothing more annoying than people with children expecting they should get preferential treatment, you had them, you took a job knowing it involves working Christmas so you arrange life to suit and stop expecting everyone else to...

xx "

As a parent, I totally agree.

Although when you agree to something you don't often see the link term consequences.

For example, this summer I had 2 (non-weekend) days off with my wife. This Christmas I'm having 2 Christmas day and 2 days off next week with my wife.

Parents who are forced to take time off at set times (kids holidays) for 10+ years may appreciate a little understanding from coworkers who are more flexible and less constrained.

over a year ago

xx

As a parent, I totally agree.

Although when you agree to something you don't often see the link term consequences.

For example, this summer I had 2 (non-weekend) days off with my wife. This Christmas I'm having 2 Christmas day and 2 days off next week with my wife.

Parents who are forced to take time off at set times (kids holidays) for 10+ years may appreciate a little understanding from coworkers who are more flexible and less constrained. "

You sound like the type of person I would quite happily swap a shift with so you wouldn't have to work Christmas day, it's the expecting it as a right that's so off putting with some people...

xx

over a year ago

I belive in equality for everyone!

over a year ago

I've always just volunteered to work. ( The Mr. ) Our Anniversary fall 3 days later and I would rather have that off. ( Plus there is the premium pay for working the holiday.)

over a year ago

We have 4 days off this Christmas (Friday-Monday) and finish lunchtime tomorrow. The week after Christmas is historically one of our busiest as is the week after new year and it's all hands to the deck. One of my colleagues had the mother of all tantrums because she couldn't have Tuesday off as leave. She doesn;t have kids, she just wants to to spend 'Christmas with her boyfriend' who is off all week. So I agreed to work Monday as overtime and as a result she;s getting the Tuesday off as leave. And her reaction, not gratitude, but annoyance at what I am being paid!

Some people are just selfish, having kids isn't what defines that trait

over a year ago

"We have 4 days off this Christmas (Friday-Monday) and finish lunchtime tomorrow. The week after Christmas is historically one of our busiest as is the week after new year and it's all hands to the deck. One of my colleagues had the mother of all tantrums because she couldn't have Tuesday off as leave. She doesn;t have kids, she just wants to to spend 'Christmas with her boyfriend' who is off all week. So I agreed to work Monday as overtime and as a result she;s getting the Tuesday off as leave. And her reaction, not gratitude, but annoyance at what I am being paid!

Some people are just selfish, having kids isn't what defines that trait"

Wow that's just rude! -.- some people!!

By *ust4fun26Couple
over a year ago

West Yorkshire

Everyone should be treated exactly the same. I used to work for a company which was open 24 hours a day including Christmas Day and if this applied it would be the same people working Christmas Day every year, we would usually come to some arrangement between us so the ones with smaller kids could work the night shifts and spend the day with their children but everyone else wanted to spend the day with their families too. Ultimately though if it is so important and circumstances at work mean you have to work Christmas then look to move on - I did as I couldn't get the time off I needed and the hours were too demanding so I got a new job so I can spend time with my family.

By *ikeC81Man
over a year ago

harrow

"I don't know how you work that out in a fair way but if it were me then I wouldn't argue over it. I don't have kids so it's a no brainer, I'd take the shift and let the families have Christmas with their kids. "

I am the same though this Xmas as I am in Manc on the 28th, I wanted the 29th of as well

So the agreement I said was I would work from office and be face of the team for the 23rd, and 24th as the other two people have kids.

I am the same in the summer never have July or August of but I want first / middle 2 weeks of June it works for most teams I have been in.

Also today and tomorrow have been quite / will be quiet - got a fair bit done

over a year ago

After having spent all my Christmas days with my children I would gladly work Christmas day now. I'd have new years day off instead

over a year ago

"In my opinion I feel people with children aged between 5-10 should get Christmas Eve (evening/night) and Christmas morning off. This is the ages that count down to the day and get excited about the magic of Christmas.

At the end of the day Christmas can be celebrated on any day for adults so I do parents of children of certain ages should get it off. "

By *urvymamaWoman
over a year ago

Doncaster

I've always believed that Christmas is for children and parents with them do deserve the time off over ones that don't have them, before I had my own I worked Christmas Eve, Christmas Day and Boxing Day every year for 10 years straight to allow colleagues with children to be with them and now it some of those same colleagues that remember me doing that for them that return the favour now there's have grown and I have my little ones.

By *om and JennieCouple
over a year ago

Chams or Socials

My dad has always worked Xmas morning so those with younger kids can be there to see them open his presents. He also loved helping Santa on the children's ward. The ward has now closed. My dad has Xmas day off for the 1st time in 20 years - I can't wait to eat at a sensible time & spend some proper time with him rather than a quick dinner then he falls asleep.

I hate being off in the school holidays - yes I have kids but I'm not fond of other people's!!

Post new Message to Thread