Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Second daft question of the shortest day

Jump to newest

By *icecouple561 OP   Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

I have a dab radio in the kitchen and the living room. Why is the one in the kitchen about ten seconds behind?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *rightonsteveMan
over a year ago

Brighton - even Hove!

Because it's on a different longitude

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Daft answer. I don't know

over a year ago

and that the shortest day is tomorrow

Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"Because it's on a different longitude "

Of course! Why didn't I think of that. Does it mean our kitchen is in a different time zone?

By *ouple in LancashireCouple
over a year ago

in Lancashire

its the fluctuation..

Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"and that the shortest day is tomorrow "

Damn is it!? I thought it was today

Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"Daft answer. I don't know "

Thank you

Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"its the fluctuation.."

It nearly always is

over a year ago

Your kitchen is in a kink in the space time continuum.

Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"Your kitchen is in a kink in the space time continuum. "

I think it must be as its the shortest day in there and its tomorrow everywhere else

By *ouple in LancashireCouple
over a year ago

in Lancashire

"its the fluctuation..

It nearly always is "

true, except when its the whatchamacallit..

or the thingumymajig..

over a year ago

"Your kitchen is in a kink in the space time continuum.

I think it must be as its the shortest day in there and its tomorrow everywhere else "

Stay there,you'll be forever a day younger....I think

over a year ago

Take the plug out the sink

Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

I think it must be as its the shortest day in there and its tomorrow everywhere else

Stay there,you'll be forever a day younger....I think "

I'm prepared to risk a day to keep out of the kitchen as much as possible.

over a year ago

"Daft answer. I don't know

Thank you "

Always happy to help

over a year ago

Stay there,you'll be forever a day younger....I think

I'm prepared to risk a day to keep out of the kitchen as much as possible. "

I was just thinking what a stupid thing to say to a woman

over a year ago

Its down to the flux capacitor not working properly!

And I thought it was the shortest day today too.

over a year ago

"Its down to the flux capacitor not working properly!

And I thought it was the shortest day today too."

It depends. Are you in the kitchen?

Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

And I thought it was the shortest day today too."

I should know better I honestly thought today was 22nd. I put it down to my radio being in a different time zone.

Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

It depends. Are you in the kitchen?"

Rarely

over a year ago

It depends. Are you in the kitchen?"

Not right now. Laying on the bed....but I did pass through the kitchen...

Or did I?

over a year ago

I should know better I honestly thought today was 22nd. I put it down to my radio being in a different time zone. "

Giggle its ok I thought today was Saturday , ha ha its being off. I blame the time circuits on my tardis

over a year ago

Have you tried winding up the one the kitchen?

over a year ago

"Have you tried winding up the one the kitchen?"

What,like telling it it's useless and not worth listening to?

Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"Have you tried winding up the one the kitchen?"

Now I hadn't thought of that. Where should I put the key?

Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"Have you tried winding up the one the kitchen?

What,like telling it it's useless and not worth listening to? "

Snigger

By *rightonsteveMan
over a year ago

Brighton - even Hove!

"Because it's on a different longitude

Of course! Why didn't I think of that. Does it mean our kitchen is in a different time zone? "

Clearly. By 10 seconds. Don't call it 'kitchen' call it 'Hawaii' - it will make making a cup of tea more of an adventure. Anyway, the day after tomorrow, this present time will be in the past. So think ahead to that.

over a year ago

Turn them on at the same time instead of 10 seconds after the other.

over a year ago

It is not hard to understand. The kitchen in the radio is part of the U^3*S/4 = M/E over 1.00041 by arg{l/c*pi} equilibrium. Your lounge is outside those parameters.

Turn either one off.

Give them both a kck.

Alternatively, close the door so you can only hear one at a time.

Thank you,

Dixons Help Line

(Closed now until January 32)

over a year ago

"Have you tried winding up the one the kitchen?

What,like telling it it's useless and not worth listening to? "

Something along those lines, though comparing it with the speaking clock seems a little harsh.

By *azNdavCouple
over a year ago

barnsley

Make the walk to the kitchen take ten seconds. Then you don't miss anything or hear a bit repeated

But run back into the lounge in the talking bits.

By *issyyourbadWoman
over a year ago

Dorset

"and that the shortest day is tomorrow

Damn is it!? I thought it was today "

no it is today

over a year ago

Are they both definitely receiving digital signals? Is one DAB+?

By *iamondjoeMan
over a year ago

Glastonbury

I've been looking in to this as I have noticed the same phenomenon...

If you sit an analogue FM radio and a DAB digital radio next to each other, both tuned to the same radio station, you’ll notice a one or two second time difference.

The main cause of the delay is down to the way that radio channels are combined together (multiplexed) and compressed. The digital technology is used to squeeze loads of channels onto a single frequency. Your digital radio receiver is receiving the encoded and compressed signals, and using an onboard microprocessor to decode the incoming data and convert to video & audio. This encoding and decoding process takes a little processing time, hence the delay.

DAB is encoded using a system called MUSICAM before it is transmitted, and your radio decodes this for playback.

If you’re technically-minded, the detailed explanation is that the time interleaver introduces a 384 microsecond delay and the audio coder/decoder introduces a delay of several tens of milliseconds.

By *iamondjoeMan
over a year ago

Glastonbury

* PS - the 22nd is the shortest day this year.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/science/12061231/When-is-the-shortest-day-of-the-year-the-winter-solstice-2015.html

over a year ago

Does this mean when you go from the lounge to the kitchen you time travel?

over a year ago

"I've been looking in to this as I have noticed the same phenomenon...

If you sit an analogue FM radio and a DAB digital radio next to each other, both tuned to the same radio station, you’ll notice a one or two second time difference.

The main cause of the delay is down to the way that radio channels are combined together (multiplexed) and compressed. The digital technology is used to squeeze loads of channels onto a single frequency. Your digital radio receiver is receiving the encoded and compressed signals, and using an onboard microprocessor to decode the incoming data and convert to video & audio. This encoding and decoding process takes a little processing time, hence the delay.

DAB is encoded using a system called MUSICAM before it is transmitted, and your radio decodes this for playback.

If you’re technically-minded, the detailed explanation is that the time interleaver introduces a 384 microsecond delay and the audio coder/decoder introduces a delay of several tens of milliseconds.

"

But that didn't explain two DAB radios playing the same station being ten seconds apart in the audio stream.

over a year ago

Are they the exact same model of radio?

By *nleashedCrakenMan
over a year ago

Widnes

"

Thanks, you saved me the effort of writing all that myself.

In effect a DAB is a small computer (as is a digital TV). Some will decode the signal faster than others. This can also cause a difference in the final audio output (or video) between two different pieces of equipment.

By *nleashedCrakenMan
over a year ago

Widnes

But that didn't explain two DAB radios playing the same station being ten seconds apart in the audio stream.

"

Read above

By *rightonsteveMan
over a year ago

Brighton - even Hove!

"

Sounds like you're a DAB dabbler and a dab hand at it too

over a year ago

Read above "

Yes, I'd already deduced that it's the decoder speed, possibly coupled with the streaming cache used. They only decode from MP2, so the units don't have much processing power.

Hence my question about if they were the same make and model.

over a year ago

Short answer... Are you sure there both tuned to dab!

I often tune mine to fm without thinking because when you power it up it automatically chooses fm and not dab

Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"Are they both definitely receiving digital signals? Is one DAB+? "

Possibly, one is much newer than the other.

Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"Because it's on a different longitude

Of course! Why didn't I think of that. Does it mean our kitchen is in a different time zone?

Clearly. By 10 seconds. Don't call it 'kitchen' call it 'Hawaii' - it will make making a cup of tea more of an adventure. Anyway, the day after tomorrow, this present time will be in the past. So think ahead to that. "

Making a cup of tea is always an adventure round here

Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"

Thank you and yes, I know it's tomorrow now I can only blame my mistake on my advanced age and living in a time warp

Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"Are they the exact same model of radio?"

No, one is quite a few years older than the other.

Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"Short answer... Are you sure there both tuned to dab!

I often tune mine to fm without thinking because when you power it up it automatically chooses fm and not dab"

Oh! Now I hadn't realised that. I'll give a go.

By *andy_tomMan
over a year ago

wolverhampton

Its ferther away ,

Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

Thanks all. The funny answers made me laugh

By *nleashedCrakenMan
over a year ago

Widnes

Read above

Yes, I'd already deduced that it's the decoder speed, possibly coupled with the streaming cache used. They only decode from MP2, so the units don't have much processing power.

Hence my question about if they were the same make and model.

"

In my experience the same make of about the same age seem to be mire in sync with each other than different makes or especially different aged models.

over a year ago

Damn is it!? I thought it was today "

I made that mistake earlier!

Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

Damn is it!? I thought it was today I made that mistake earlier! "

It seems the people who turned up at Stonehenge did too

over a year ago

"Turn them on at the same time instead of 10 seconds after the other. "

How long do you think her arms are????????????

Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"Turn them on at the same time instead of 10 seconds after the other.

How long do you think her arms are???????????? "

At last! A use for the giant dildo.

over a year ago

At last! A use for the giant dildo. "

Unless we managed to get rid of it for you........

By *ohnaronMan
over a year ago

london

Basically DAB is crap. The audio quality is poor compared to FM. Radio designers struggle to achieve half decent performance. A number have passed through my hands. A couple were junked and the rest went to charity shops. And the God awful BBC intend to abandon FM in favour of DAB.

Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"

No, I'm stirring my bucket of Bailey's with it

over a year ago

No, I'm stirring my bucket of Bailey's with it "

Are you licking it off or putting it in your mouth and slowly drawing it out, allowing the cream to run down your chin, gently dripping onto your naked breasts?

Hold on, be right back......

Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

Are you licking it off or putting it in your mouth and slowly drawing it out, allowing the cream to run down your chin, gently dripping onto your naked breasts?

"

I'd never get that thing in my mouth . I'm using it stir in the lime juice for the gorilla cement mixer snots.

over a year ago

I'd never get that thing in my mouth . I'm using it stir in the lime juice for the gorilla cement mixer snots. "

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh huh and I'm back. What were we talking about?

over a year ago

I thought people were supposed to have profile names that described them.

I'm proper disillusioned with the OP.

over a year ago

"I thought people were supposed to have profile names that described them.

I'm proper disillusioned with the OP. "

I think that Baileys gained potency over the years. She's d*unk!

Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

I'd never get that thing in my mouth . I'm using it stir in the lime juice for the gorilla cement mixer snots.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh huh and I'm back. What were we talking about?

"

Giant dildos and gorilla snot, yer typical Christmas chat.

Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

I'm proper disillusioned with the OP. "

Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

I think that Baileys gained potency over the years. She's d*unk! "

By *inky-MinxWoman
over a year ago

Grantham

Woooo hoooo, the days get longer after tomorrow

over a year ago

We're supposed to be having Baileys cheesecake for dessert on Christmas day. I've gone off the idea.

over a year ago

I think that Baileys gained potency over the years. She's d*unk! "

Just from taking the lid off?!

Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

Just from taking the lid off?! "

It's good stuff that Bailey's and I'm a cheap date

over a year ago

Just from taking the lid off?! "

I think she sniffed it

Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

I think she sniffed it"

Oi you lot! I'm sitting right here you know, gorilla snot in one hand, cement mixer in the other.

over a year ago

I think she sniffed it

Oi you lot! I'm sitting right here you know, gorilla snot in one hand, cement mixer in the other."

Told you she's d*unk

Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

over a year ago

I think she sniffed it

Oi you lot! I'm sitting right here you know, gorilla snot in one hand, cement mixer in the other."

So where's the giant dildo?

Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

I think she sniffed it

Oi you lot! I'm sitting right here you know, gorilla snot in one hand, cement mixer in the other.

So where's the giant dildo? "

Erm...

over a year ago

I think she sniffed it

So where's the giant dildo? "

over a year ago

I think she sniffed it

Where's the dildo?

over a year ago

I think she sniffed it

Where's the dildo? "

Feck!!!!!!

Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

I think she sniffed it

Where's the dildo? "

See above.

over a year ago

I think she sniffed it

Where's the dildo?

See above. "

Sorry, I'm a bit slow. I blame the fumes from all the Bailey's.

Post new Message to Thread