Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Australia

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Looking for the inside knowledge on finding the least stressful and inexpensive flights to Sydney.

My father in law hasn't got many years left with us, he lives in Australia, and my wife has never been there. I want her to get to see him before he's gone. Very emotional night last night.

Thanks in advance fabbers

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *iamondjoeMan
over a year ago

Glastonbury

It's a sod of a long way - it's gonna be a bitch any way you do it.

The usual routes are via Dubai or Singapore, with a stop-over/refule.

It's about 22hrs, if memory serves.

Beats 4 months in a boat.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Sorry to hear about your F-I-L

Make it a good un when you're over there

By *uietlykinkymeWoman
over a year ago

kinky land

Hugs.

Unfortunately the least stressful routes will be the dearer routes.

Multi stops can be cheaper but take longer and more organising

over a year ago

"It's a sod of a long way - it's gonna be a bitch any way you do it.

The usual routes are via Dubai or Singapore, with a stop-over/refule.

It's about 22hrs, if memory serves.

Beats 4 months in a boat. "

Around the world cruise on offer in my high Street.

Takes 34 days!

Concorde did it in 11 hours! And they reckon son of Concorde could do it in 4!

over a year ago

Unfortunately I won't be able to go with her. I'm self employed so I don't get paid anything if I don't work.

It'll be her first flight too!!!!

over a year ago

"Hugs.

Unfortunately the least stressful routes will be the dearer routes.

Multi stops can be cheaper but take longer and more organising

"

when I've been I've always done a night stop in Singapore or Bangkok to break up the journey but personally the slightly more expensive reasonably direct routes are the ones I'd take!

By *carlet_heavenWoman
over a year ago

somewhere in the sticks

Flying to Australia is roughly 21 hrs in the air, but whichever way you do it it'll take you at least 36 hours with waiting times & stops & you won't be able to sleep. Prepare yourself for a very long journey!

The most comfortable way to do it, I've found is Heathrow to Singapore with BA or Quantas, a night in Singapore, then on to Sydney. You can do it in 3 smaller trips Bham (or london airports)-dubai-singapore-sydney…but that's 3 lots of boarding & waiting times & going via Dubai is a pain as the distance between gates is immense.

Best advice I can give for cost is to avoid the peak times (school holidays) & ring the airline company direct for their price, then compare using travelocity/expedia etc.

The other way to do it is buy a round the world ticket, but unless you want to visit other places this will work out more expensive.

over a year ago

"Flying to Australia is roughly 21 hrs in the air, but whichever way you do it it'll take you at least 36 hours with waiting times & stops & you won't be able to sleep. Prepare yourself for a very long journey!

The most comfortable way to do it, I've found is Heathrow to Singapore with BA or Quantas, a night in Singapore, then on to Sydney. You can do it in 3 smaller trips Bham (or london airports)-dubai-singapore-sydney…but that's 3 lots of boarding & waiting times & going via Dubai is a pain as the distance between gates is immense.

Best advice I can give for cost is to avoid the peak times (school holidays) & ring the airline company direct for their price, then compare using travelocity/expedia etc.

The other way to do it is buy a round the world ticket, but unless you want to visit other places this will work out more expensive. "

Thank you. Googling now

By *uietlykinkymeWoman
over a year ago

kinky land

Remember if doing online searches clear your cookies otherwise you won't get best price as the site knows/remembers you've been. Also Tuesdays used to be the cheapest days to book airlines x

Leave tabs open to compare prices instead of closing and reopening x

over a year ago

I never knew the cookie thing.

I'll do my price checking Tuesday then.

I need to ensure I'm working more locally so I can get home if my father falls and to be home earlier for the dog. The neighbours will love it. They love borrowing our springer during the day

By *olgateMan
over a year ago

on the road to nowhere in particular

Best way, BA or Quantas. Choose your stopover, Bangkok Hong Kong, or Middle East. Suitable alternatives... Emirates, Qatar, Singapore

Cheaper alternatives like Garuda exist but you will have several stopovers with extended families from third world countries to contend with. Not the most ideal way for such a long way.

C...

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 20/12/15 13:18:12]

over a year ago

"When I went earlier this year I flew Cathay Pacific from Manchester to Sydney via Hong Kong for £750

No overnight stop just a 3 hour or so on the ground break

Worth looking at flights from non London airports as they can work out cheaper even if they transfer vai a London airport

eg one of the options I looked at was with BA (I think it was) was Manchester to London to Dubai to Sydney and it worked out £100 cheaper than booking the same flight direct from London!"

Although I did book 9 months in advance which sadly It doesn't sound like you have the luxury of doing

Flying in the next month or so I reckon you should budget between £900 & £1200 for the flights

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 20/12/15 13:46:20]

over a year ago

So from the sound of the posts you need to fly soon - if flying before Xmas Qantas airlines - keep seats for emergency to go go to family in Oz and visa versa.

Cheapest time to fly is March /April - with making booking between now and mid Jan.

Cathay Pacific airlines through Hong Kong will help during stop over and have great facilities so its less stressful - if flying straight through - she can get a massage etc for her back.

Singapore is a smooth trip too and as a woman it's a very safe place for an overnight stop over - she can be picked up and accommodated and driven back to airport.

Emirates through Dubai is also very accommodating if flying straight through if you advise she is a new flyer and needs guidance whilst at stop over... It's a big airport so allow two / three hours to get to next flight.

Most importantly is to let airline know the reason she is flying to Oz and that it's her first flight and ask that to be noted. Don't choose seats at back of plane - choose ones immediately after business class - a little dearer however better flight .... As previously stated allow 36 hours door to door .... Flight is usually 22 - 24 .... However u have the before and after and breaks during ....

Each of those airlines above are more expensive however u have better quality seating and screens and facilities.....

Hope that helps as I fly home a lot xx

V

PS ring airlines direct as well - if u tell them ur story u may be pleasantly surprised with pricing and position on plane - they can sort it all for you and I gave sometimes found the prices to be better - in fact they will hold the price and seats for 24 hours at no cost and then u can do ur comparisons online ..

These are just my opinions

Mwah x

By *lovisMan
over a year ago

Twickenham

One of the cheapest routes is with Royal Brunei but it involves 2 stops. Be aware it's a dry airline so no drink to steady nerves

over a year ago

I flew via Delhi with Air India. Business class £1800 ish. Not amazing but a positive experience overall. Comfy seat. Nice food. Not big on the freebies but I would go again. Their airport lounges are basic.

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

When I fly there I take a break in the middle and sleep in a hotel for a night. This means staying at somewhere like Singapore. You'll be stopping en route anyway, but it means you get plenty of exercise and a decent lie down, before rejoining the airport to fly on.

Look out for flight deals, sign up for special offers with the airlines and travel companies. You'll get a feel for pricing fairly quickly.

over a year ago

I'm not sure if it works with flights but you can get split tickets on trains, you buy out bound journey by buying one half way, then one from half way to your destination and the same on the way back.

But this is just a knee jerk reaction to your question.

Have a look at Martin Lewis mint saving web site there might be a solution there.

And all the best to you

over a year ago

I've done the journey a couple of times as a single female although not as a new flier. My suggestion would be to look at options via Singapore. It's been a few years since I was there but it seemed easy to navigate. It's also very safe for female travellers and it's a good distance into the journey to take a break. Having said that I've been with Emirates to Dubai recently and although the airport is huge there were plenty of Emiates staff around to assist. Emirates have their own terminal which possibly helps.

Post new Message to Thread