Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Having an opinion on everything

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

I perfer peeps who have a mind of their own and have an opinion on everything, than those who sit on the fence anyday.

However, one needs to appreciate other peeps can have their opinions too, and their opinions should be respected even when they are very different to their own.

Not too much to ask for I believe, or am I being naive and expect too much from peeps?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *unterslickCouple
over a year ago

tullamore

not wanting to sit on the fence here,,,,,,,,i have to agree,lol

seriously everyone is entitled to their own opinions/beliefs and as people in general we can better ourselves by listening to others beliefs/opinions,we might not always like them or agree with them,but thats what makes us all human and uniqe

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

If we didn't all have our own, different opinions then these forums would be a very dull place

over a year ago

"If we didn't all have our own, different opinions then these forums would be a very dull place"

Same with what we like and dislike!

over a year ago

Be crap on here if we all agreed wouldn't it

over a year ago

"Be crap on here if we all agreed wouldn't it"

yes i agree

By *i 1 Get 1 FreeCouple (MM)
over a year ago

birmingham

Having an opinion is fine, providing that opinion is not offensive some just don't know the difference

over a year ago

"Having an opinion is fine, providing that opinion is not offensive some just don't know the difference "

Or the difference between having an opinion and being opinionated!

over a year ago

birmingham

"Having an opinion is fine, providing that opinion is not offensive some just don't know the difference

Or the difference between having an opinion and being opinionated! "

love you pearly

over a year ago

No Pearl your wrong. Wrong Wrong Wrong.

Everybody should agree with me - or else !!!

So there !!!!!

over a year ago

"Having an opinion is fine, providing that opinion is not offensive some just don't know the difference

Or the difference between having an opinion and being opinionated!

love you pearly "

MWAH to you!

over a year ago

"No Pearl your wrong. Wrong Wrong Wrong.

Everybody should agree with me - or else !!!

So there !!!!!"

I disagree, so there, bite me!

By *unterslickCouple
over a year ago

tullamore

"Having an opinion is fine, providing that opinion is not offensive some just don't know the difference "

offensive opinions is still an opinion,we dont have to agree with it or like it,not even respect it,,,as long as we let people have their opinion thats all that matters

over a year ago

What makes an opinion offensive?...who decides?

over a year ago

"What makes an opinion offensive?...who decides?"

The way it is said/written, being condescending/rude and show no respect to the others perhaps?

over a year ago

birmingham

"as long as we let people have their opinion thats all that matters"

Oh really?

So anyone should be allowed to express their opinion on sex / race etc., etc., regardless whether it's offensive?

By *unterslickCouple
over a year ago

tullamore

its an opinion may not be right but its there right as a human to express their opinion

over a year ago

"What makes an opinion offensive?...who decides?

The way it is said/written, being condescending/rude and show no respect to the others perhaps? "

Genuinely...sometimes I think there can be a problem, as in all written communication, that some may read a post differently to that in which it is intended.Or certainly more strongly than it is intended.

over a year ago

"as long as we let people have their opinion thats all that matters

Oh really?

So anyone should be allowed to express their opinion on sex / race etc., etc., regardless whether it's offensive? "

It may be offensive, however, it should still be respected IMHO!

By *unterslickCouple
over a year ago

tullamore

"as long as we let people have their opinion thats all that matters

Oh really?

So anyone should be allowed to express their opinion on sex / race etc., etc., regardless whether it's offensive?

It may be offensive, however, it should still be respected IMHO! "

i dont respect offensive opinions,but i would never say to anyone you arent entitled to one,,,,,well except my kids,,,they dont have one till i say so,lol

over a year ago

Surely 'offensive', like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder!

over a year ago

The way it is said/written, being condescending/rude and show no respect to the others perhaps? "

What one person sees as rude, another sees as plain speaking, so I do agree with the question, who decides!

over a year ago

Some people are more easily offended than the others, and we need to respect that too, IMHO.

over a year ago

birmingham

"I do agree with the question, who decides!"

Rugby or Honeypot?

over a year ago

I agree with you Pearl, plus sitting on the fence gives me splinters!

Also is the word 'offensive' derived from removing said self from that fence, ie. off-fence-ive?

over a year ago

"I perfer peeps who have a mind of their own and have an opinion on everything, than those who sit on the fence anyday.

However, one needs to appreciate other peeps can have their opinions too, and their opinions should be respected even when they are very different to their own.

Not too much to ask for I believe, or am I being naive and expect too much from peeps? "

Its impossible to have a researched opinion on everything. You would need more hours than god gave you to live just to do a small percentage of things.

over a year ago

I'll just have to ask someone what my opinion is I'll be back in a mo

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman
over a year ago

evesham

"

Its impossible to have a researched opinion on everything. You would need more hours than god gave you to live just to do a small percentage of things. "

it would seem that not everyone has been told this little tit bit

over a year ago

I have an opinion on everything. It might not be right or terribly well informed however it's an opinion.

Even if sometimes that opinion can come across as sitting on the fence. There are some things that I just really don't care or mind either way about.

over a year ago

"What makes an opinion offensive?...who decides?"

according to chris rock...those with shit can't say shit about those without shit, but those without shit can say shit about those with.....

and thems the rules....so, unless you got no shit, you can't say shit

Forum Mod

over a year ago

according to chris rock...those with shit can't say shit about those without shit, but those without shit can say shit about those with.....

and thems the rules....so, unless you got no shit, you can't say shit"

I love Chris Rock

By *arambarMan
over a year ago

swindon

There's a Spanish proverb which goes along the lines of "Three Spaniards, four opinions"

over a year ago

and thems the rules....so, unless you got no shit, you can't say shit

I love Chris Rock "

My favourite comedian!

over a year ago

Peter Kay is pretty good too

over a year ago

sometimes it is best to stand back, wait for the moment. say something and calming retire as all hell breaks loose.

over a year ago

"I perfer peeps who have a mind of their own and have an opinion on everything, than those who sit on the fence anyday.

Not too much to ask for I believe, or am I being naive and expect too much from peeps? "

I agree entirely Pearl. Nothing interests me more than group dynamic. Listening to others is a tremendous passtime and it's always a buzz to hear what others have to say on any subject.

I get a lot of out being thrown into disequilibrium when intelligent informed comments are made that eventually change my thinking.

How different that is to someone who simply hurls insult or wails like a wounded child when someone doesn't agree with them or gives them food for thought. Those types appear to think a slanging match is a bright passtime.

In the main I think the ability to listen to others with grace - whether you agree or not - comes from experience.

I have a lot of respect for quite a few posters here as they are resilient , bouncy , fun and can move from the prophetic to the ridiculous and give opinions without a display of histrionics.

over a year ago

"sometimes it is best to stand back, wait for the moment. say something and calming retire as all hell breaks loose. "

Best for who ?

By *emmefataleWoman
over a year ago

dirtybigbadsgirlville

"sometimes it is best to stand back, wait for the moment. say something and calming retire as all hell breaks loose. "
shit stir n fuck off ya mean?

By *ig badMan
over a year ago

Up North :-)

Well given a choice i prefer to sit on the fence and pounce when i think the time is right

over a year ago

"Well given a choice i prefer to sit on the fence and pounce when i think the time is right "

Like a pussy ?

over a year ago

cat

By *ig badMan
over a year ago

Up North :-)

"Well given a choice i prefer to sit on the fence and pounce when i think the time is right

Like a pussy ?"

Naaa my pussy doesn't pounce Mind you its too fat to gey up on the fence. More like a magpie me waitin with a beady eye

over a year ago

"Well given a choice i prefer to sit on the fence and pounce when i think the time is right

Like a pussy ?"

Mine only does that to the dog!

over a year ago

I would never sit on the fence. I will give my opinion, however Im not one for sarcastic quips and I always challenge them. Sometimes I feel that quips are given to make or break a thread, I believe in freedom of speech. Noone has the right to shut down anyone elses thoughts, but they do have the right to disagree and challenge. Not keen on the sarcastic quips and waiting for the applause from friends thing.

Im happy to be challenged myself. Im not one of these dish out but cant take back types. I also take ownership of my own comments and I dont expect others to jump in and agree with me just because they are friends.

The thing that irritates me the most is when a discussion on a thread becomes heated and then a brand new thread is opened taking the piss out of someones comment on the first thread. I feel that is immature. Whats said on a particular thread should never be carried across to other threads.

None of us are perfect, we all piss people off, we all get the wrong end of the stick, we are all aware how the written word is misinterpreted. Some of us dont always type the opening thread well and it can be misinterpreted and things picked up on which wasnt the focus of the thread. I dont like the thought of anyone sitting waiting for a chance to take a pop to get someone back for a previous comment they may not have liked (thats crap grammar but you know what I mean).

We cant all agree, we all have a voice, maybe some people have bigger voices than others, lets have the opinions, say whatever you feel is right at the time, but accept challenge and dont let disagreements linger. I certainly make mistakes, a lot of them in fact, mainly my "dog with a bone syndrome" that I tend to suffer from, but if someone was to disagree in a constructive manner, then Im more likely to look at what Ive said and analyse it and think, yeah your a bit defensive, admit its wrong. When I see sarcasm, I cant focus on anything other than a sarcastic comment back, its wrong of me I know.

The people who make the forum interesting are those who have the courage to post whatever they feel, not follow the crowd.

I lose a bit of respect for those who post after a particular controversial statement - oo this will get interesting, lets get the popcorn. They are like the kids at school who form the circle shouting, scrap scrap scrap

By *irtyGirlWoman
over a year ago

Edinburgh

*resists urge to post popcorn comment*

Seriously though... I don't know that I'm a fence sitter or a plain speaker. I would absolutely stand up for something I believe in but equally I'm quite happy to learn from other people. I know lots about some things and not a lot about others. I generally have opinions on most things but I don't always feel the need to share them. Not for any other reason that the subject doesn't poke me enough to want to respond.

I don't have a problem in admitting when I'm wrong or apologising if I've spoken out of turn. I quite like sarcasm and there are a few posters that I admire hugely for their forthright responses. I'm always honest and I like to laugh. If something is worth a giggle then I'm more likely to respond.

I dare say we all have different levels of humour and what we find offensive. I'm rarely offended by stuff on a forum cause lets face it, whilst there is someone at the other keyboard, they don't make a big impact on my real life. Maybe I have a thicker skin, or maybe it's cause I don't feel the need to have the last word which I often think is the problem.

By *empnbunkCouple
over a year ago

south coast

opinions ? I dont know if i'm allowed them i'l need to go ask temptress if i dont post here soon you'll know she said noooo

over a year ago

As I`ve got older I`m far more comfortable saying .....I don`t know!!

A great freedom for me......and lead me to be more open minded,and think for myself...I was stuffed full of second hand opinions, most of which I hadn`t really examined or arrived at with alot of thinking ...most were reactionary ...anyway I`m waffling .....

Ps..some really thoughtful posts on the thread.....and given me alot of pleasure..thanks

over a year ago

Sometimes..... the aroma of paranoia is palpable.

Making comparisons between 'fence sitters' and 'free speakers' is no where near an adequate method to use in summary.

Some make tactless juvenile remarks as they simply don't know the difference between being forthright and lacking tact and decorum. They assume a nasty remark wins them Brownie points and makes their statements correct. Depends who they run with I guess. Shit sticks with shit in my experience.

Sometimes it's best to say nothing even when opinions are strongly held.

There's never anything to be gained from a tit for tat with a simple mind. They take the rope and hang themselves.

over a year ago

Granny is in good form as usual!

Someone had said that you loose the upperhand once you start to name call, as it shows you have run out of the ability to formulate a polite and logical response.

Therefore, the sooner you start to name call, the lower the intellegence etc...

I believe that is "generally" true, and certainly applies to "some" people.

However, it feels good to call a "twat" a "twat" when it is blatantly obvious that the person is one!

By *ingleguy1973Man
over a year ago

peterborough

the forums would be boring if everyone agreed with each other. we all have opinions and are entitled to them. however, i think it is important that people put their opinion across backed up by some sort of reasoning and accept that others will disagree.

over a year ago

"Granny is in good form as usual!

Someone had said that you loose the upperhand once you start to name call, as it shows you have run out of the ability to formulate a polite and logical response.

Therefore, the sooner you start to name call, the lower the intellegence etc...

I believe that is "generally" true, and certainly applies to "some" people.

However, it feels good to call a "twat" a "twat" when it is blatantly obvious that the person is one! "

Made me laugh out loud Pearl. Yep ... sometimes it's sublime to state the obvious .. I haven't let go yet tho..... am i sexually repressed ?

over a year ago

"the forums would be boring if everyone agreed with each other. we all have opinions and are entitled to them. however, i think it is important that people put their opinion across backed up by some sort of reasoning and accept that others will disagree."

Well said that man xx

By *ensualfire88Man
over a year ago

Edinburgh

I have no opinion on this thread.

over a year ago

"I have no opinion on this thread."

What???

What's wrong with you?

Why change the habit of a lifetime at YOUR age???!!!

Had a brain transplant or something like that perhaps?

... runs and hides

over a year ago

"I have no opinion on this thread."

Fence sitter !

over a year ago

I am keeping my opinions to myself that way I dont need to hide

over a year ago

Well if you ask me .......

over a year ago

I keep certain opinions to myself, and do not engage in discussions on certain subjects, such as politics, religion, race and immigration.

over a year ago

"Well if you ask me ......."

oooooooooo gooo onnnnnnnnnnn

over a year ago

"Well if you ask me .......

oooooooooo gooo onnnnnnnnnnn "

hahaha.....

over a year ago

"I keep certain opinions to myself, and do not engage in discussions on certain subjects, such as politics, religion, race and immigration.

"

Its a sign of intelligence . Knowing when to stay quite .

over a year ago

Despite popular opinion, most people don`t have an opinion. They think(sic) they have an opinion, but in reality thet `aven`t, nor the smarts or time to generate one of their own....

Rather they scrabble around with the lemmings...

They read the Sun..Daily Star..and Dan Brown and Richard Littlejohn or Christopher Hitchins and the plethora of hacks paid to beslubber some hackneyed and asinine ill considered " opinion"

They watch Good Morning and Question Time and Loose Woman et al

They spout opinions that fit in with their friends....Fuck princples or daring to be different.....

Principles before personalities .....MY ARSE.....

Yeah ..I think you`ll find ....If you ask me .....

Jeez...I`m so deeply worried I`m one of these people....anyone got a moggie pls....

Post new Message to Thread