Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Broadband dongles

Jump to newest

By *aughtyNurse999 OP   Woman
over a year ago

Fabville !!!

I am looking at buying a pay as u go dongle, any indeas on which is best and which to avoid ????

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

I have a vodaphone dongle for when I'm away but tbh, it's pretty shit. I'd appreciate someone letting me know of a good alternative too.

over a year ago

Check the coverage for the service provider before you buy.

I have a 3 Mobile BB dongle for a while now, and its coverage has improved in the past couple of years for certain!

By *ingleguy1973Man
over a year ago

peterborough

ive got a t-mobile one... works quite well since they did a deal with orange to share networks. you can check coverage on most of the major networks websites. if your mobile contract is due for renewal, try getting a deal for mobile broadband at the same time.

over a year ago

I have a Vodafone dongle....have no problems with it except when I am in Wales...but then what do you expect over there

over a year ago

Fabville !!!

will have a look at coverage. i am with 3 network for me mobile phone contract. but did not want another direct debit so hence asking about pay as you go...

over a year ago

I initially tried 3,which didn`t work at all.....after asking around I switched to Vodaphone,and although I suffer from a perennial poor signal, I`ve rarely had a problem with it ...I`d recoommend Voda...tho where you live may reflect in yer quality o service....

Best of luck....

over a year ago

I use t-mobile £15 a month unlimited great value the others all go on usage and can drain them very quickly. Ps I have two one for me and one for the kids as they come with content lock

By *ingleguy1973Man
over a year ago

peterborough

"will have a look at coverage. i am with 3 network for me mobile phone contract. but did not want another direct debit so hence asking about pay as you go... "

worth asking... you may get the PAYG dongle free, then if its no good, you havent lost anything.

By *iceguydaveMan
over a year ago

Monmouth

I bought a 3 dongle because the spotty youths in the shop said it offered the best local coverage round here, but it is pretty temperamental.. to be fair to the acned ones, they did say if coverage was really bad they'd give me my money back..

over a year ago

Fabville !!!

"I use t-mobile £15 a month unlimited great value the others all go on usage and can drain them very quickly. Ps I have two one for me and one for the kids as they come with content lock"

if they come with content lock, how do you go about unlocking so that you can still access fab lol ???

By *urreyfun2008Man
over a year ago

East Grinstead

T mobile payg (me), and a vodafone contract (work).

The T Mobile is a more reliable device, causes less problems for the computer. Found the o2 software a pain, the vodafone is not bad, but poor coverage on train line I use a lot into London.

If a serious traveller, then you will end up with payg from several providers.

over a year ago

There are still pockets of land where there is no reception of any kind - mobile phone or broadband.

Luckily, these are mainly places in the middle of nowhere!

When I choose campsites nowadays, I look for those with site WiFi in case I cannot get a signal on my dongle.

By *andKCouple
over a year ago

Norfolk

This mesage is being posted via a T-Mobile dongle. Reception can be sparodic and even moving a few inches in the hotel room can make a huge difference. Had Vodaphone before but think this one is marginally better (note it doesnt help with spelling though )

over a year ago

Fabville !!!

"This mesage is being posted via a T-Mobile dongle. Reception can be sparodic and even moving a few inches in the hotel room can make a huge difference. Had Vodaphone before but think this one is marginally better (note it doesnt help with spelling though )"

lol i have looked at all options and think the T mobile seems a bargain..

over a year ago

"

if they come with content lock, how do you go about unlocking so that you can still access fab lol ???"

You have to either have the shop where you buy the dongle phone the provider and get it unlocked, you will need proof of ID or you phone yourself but have to have a credit card for them to run any ID check on you

over a year ago

P.S I have been using a vodaphone dongle for the last year and hardly have any probs but as from next month they are reducing it from 3GB a month to 2GB a month but still charging £15

over a year ago

I use a T Mobile dongle when I'm working away, and it's been ok except for when I was in West Yorkshire. It was totally useless there.

I pay £15 per month unlimited access and think it's quite good deal.

Pay as you go can be quite pricey if you use it a lot. I used £20 worth when I was away on holiday for a week, and I wasn't on all the time either. I switched to the monthly deal when I got home.

over a year ago

I use a 3 mobile dongle when away from home and it works pretty well even in remoter parts of Scotland although serious Teuchterland can be problematic.

It came with a USB 'extension' cable which allows me to suspend it from somewhere slightly higher up than the laptop. In hotels I'll hang it from a light fitting and in the car I'll hang it from the interior mirror. It makes quite a difference in some locations.

By *umourCouple
over a year ago

Rushden

You would be better off getting a mobile contract with an inclusive internet allowance. It would be much cheaper and all you do is plug in a usb and connect! for the extra cost, it is so much cheaper than two seperate accounts, whether payg or contract.

I use Virgin (only way I will get close to one!!! ) and have good reception most places. It is T-Mobile who provide the service and you can pay 25 per month and have 600 minutes, unlimited texts and 1gig of mobile web. On top at that, a free HTC Desire, One of the best phones you can get!

Payg is no longer worth having unless you spend nothing on calls and texts (in my view)

over a year ago

I have pay as you go on 3, £15 gives 3 gig of bandwidth.

Add I also have a my3 on a 12 month contract at £16.29 a month 8 gig bandwidth per month. (use this as main connection/shared to 2 laptops and a pc)

Both give me great coverage with no problems.

Tony

By *lack_BoltMan
over a year ago

oxford

I have a contract with a 3 dongle, which is much faster than pay as you go. Also at only £15 a month I get 15 Gb of data, but the best part for me is that, with the addition of the 3 wireless router, I can plug my dongle into it and get wireless access throughout the house. The only downside is that it can be affected by the weather. However most of the time it works just fine.

over a year ago

"I have a contract with a 3 dongle, which is much faster than pay as you go. Also at only £15 a month I get 15 Gb of data, but the best part for me is that, with the addition of the 3 wireless router, I can plug my dongle into it and get wireless access throughout the house. The only downside is that it can be affected by the weather. However most of the time it works just fine. "

Omg, I pay over £16 for 8 gig.

Time a changed my contract!

Tony

over a year ago

"I have a contract with a 3 dongle, which is much faster than pay as you go. Also at only £15 a month I get 15 Gb of data, but the best part for me is that, with the addition of the 3 wireless router, I can plug my dongle into it and get wireless access throughout the house. The only downside is that it can be affected by the weather. However most of the time it works just fine. "

Well I can whistle dixie and stick a feather up me arse, the downside my reception is shite

Time for a change here too

By *arambarMan
over a year ago

swindon

"You would be better off getting a mobile contract with an inclusive internet allowance. It would be much cheaper and all you do is plug in a usb and connect! for the extra cost, it is so much cheaper than two seperate accounts, whether payg or contract.

I use Virgin (only way I will get close to one!!! ) and have good reception most places. It is T-Mobile who provide the service and you can pay 25 per month and have 600 minutes, unlimited texts and 1gig of mobile web. On top at that, a free HTC Desire, One of the best phones you can get!

Payg is no longer worth having unless you spend nothing on calls and texts (in my view)"

Yep, that's what I do... I pay £15 per month to T-Mobile and get (iirc) 600 minutes of talk, 600 texts and 3GB bandwidth per month. The phone, however, wasn't free as I had to pay £90 for it up front. I then use my HTC Desire and "tether" so that it acts like a wireless router and I can use that to get online.

over a year ago

Fabville !!!

I dont need or want a phone i am already on a contract.. but seems like a lot of pro's n con's for dongles... will do some more searching

over a year ago

"will have a look at coverage. i am with 3 network for me mobile phone contract. but did not want another direct debit so hence asking about pay as you go... "

you can get pay as you go network 3 dongles from carphone warehouse, Curry's, PC world for £19.99

over a year ago

"ive got a t-mobile one... works quite well since they did a deal with orange to share networks. you can check coverage on most of the major networks websites. if your mobile contract is due for renewal, try getting a deal for mobile broadband at the same time."

Dont know how, the sharing that they do is only 2g, not for 3G that the dongle needs for fast data

S.

over a year ago

Fabville !!!

eee we getting all techincal now lol

over a year ago

I have or have had dongles from all networks, as I work all over the uk I have found Three to be the best, orange second then the others all about the same.

I use a mifi from three, basically a portable wifi hotspot. Switch in on, it connects to the three network and then creates it's own wifi network that you can connect upto five devices too and share the data allowance. You could leave this by the window if needed and use your laptop etc the far side of the room.

As well as payg and contract, all the networks do 30 day rolling contracts, basically sign up on a contract that renews every month but only need to give 30 days notice to cancel at anytime, minimum term is only 30 days. Obviously if you sing up for a longer deal you get more data or less monthly charge, but I pa 15.99 for 5gb.

Even been away from home a lot I find 5gb. Ore than enough.

Steve

By *urreyfun2008Man
over a year ago

East Grinstead

"You would be better off getting a mobile contract with an inclusive internet allowance. It would be much cheaper and all you do is plug in a usb and connect! for the extra cost, it is so much cheaper than two seperate accounts, whether payg or contract.

"

Be careful if doing this, not all mobile phone contracts allow for tethering, i.e. they are only expecting mobile phone internet type usage.

By *edo CplCouple
over a year ago

Glasgow

We have 3 mifi for out and about use we get 15GB for £17.00 a month the mifi router was free for signing up to a contract

so far so good with it and usually our download speeds on that are faster than our home broadband connection although it does have it`s moments but i suppose that`s to be expected with mobile broadband

HEDOCPL

xxx

By *oddyWoman
over a year ago

between havant and chichester

im with voda and its very good for coverage

if you get this one ask for it to be unlocked or you wont be able to access sites like fabit just takes them a few mins to do that for you

over a year ago

i have a 3 dongle, it works really well just about everywhere i travel to.

they have this new thing now called mifi, which is pretty good becuase its more like a portable wifi router than a dongle so you can connect ipads, or more than one computer to it at once

By *ustyWoman
over a year ago

inverclyde

i have orange and its the best for me and the coverage is very good

over a year ago

"I am looking at buying a pay as u go dongle, any indeas on which is best and which to avoid ????"

Check your area coverage to see which has the best signal. If they are all the same then T mobile lets you pay for a day, a week or a month if you only want to use it occasionally.

over a year ago

Fabville !!!

The only one i have checked so far is T mobile and signal for my area is "Good"

over a year ago

Fabville !!!

[Removed by poster at 16/01/11 10:49:42]

over a year ago

Fabville !!!

"The only one i have checked so far is T mobile and signal for my area is "Good""

o2 also says "Good"

over a year ago

Hmmm, with 3 Mobile, it tells you what speed/type of connection you are likely to get, not just average/good/excellent etc...

By *inky CyclerMan
over a year ago

Bristol

I've got a 3 dongle which allows me 1Gb for 30 days for a tenner but I've still got my old Niokia handset on Virgin which gives unlimited PAYG Data for 30p/day to connect to the netbook. If I drain the credit on that then I'll go over to my contract phone.

over a year ago

as our profile states 'every now and then we like to meet up with single men with broadband dongles'

over a year ago

Fabville !!!

hahaha pmsl

Post new Message to Thread