Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Amp

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

What does amp means ? I keep seeing that on some profile and wonder the meaning of it ?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Ampersand or & - often not recognised by the site

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

The site software corrects and abbreviates "&" (ampersand) to amp.

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Thank you thought it was a sexual term and was trying to figure out the meaning.

Thanks

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"Thank you thought it was a sexual term and was trying to figure out the meaning.

Thanks "

I read once that & used to be tacked on to the end of the alphabet and when children recited it they would say "and per se &" or when said quickly "ampersand". .

By *obbytupperMan
over a year ago

Menston near Ilkley

"Thank you thought it was a sexual term and was trying to figure out the meaning.

Thanks

I read once that & used to be tacked on to the end of the alphabet and when children recited it they would say "and per se &" or when said quickly "ampersand". . "

The word ampersand is a corruption of the phrase "and (&) per se and", meaning "and (the symbol &) intrinsically (is the word) and".[2]

Traditionally, when reciting the alphabet in English-speaking schools, any letter that could also be used as a word in itself ("A", "I", and, at one point, "O") was repeated with the Latin expression per se ("by itself").[3][4][5] This habit was useful in spelling where a word or syllable was repeated after spelling; e.g. "d, o, g—dog" would be clear but simply saying "a—a" would be confusing without the clarifying "per se" added. It was also common practice to add the "&" sign at the end of the alphabet as if it were the 27th letter, pronounced as the Latin et or later in English as and. As a result, the recitation of the alphabet would end in "X, Y, Z, and per se and". This last phrase was routinely slurred to "ampersand" and the term had entered common English usage by 1837.[4][6][7] However, in contrast to the 26 letters, the ampersand does not represent a speech sound—although other characters that were dropped from the English alphabet did, such as the Old English thorn, wynn, and eth.

Who said blondes were thick?

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

Thanks

I read once that & used to be tacked on to the end of the alphabet and when children recited it they would say "and per se &" or when said quickly "ampersand". .

The word ampersand is a corruption of the phrase "and (&) per se and", meaning "and (the symbol &) intrinsically (is the word) and".[2]

Traditionally, when reciting the alphabet in English-speaking schools, any letter that could also be used as a word in itself ("A", "I", and, at one point, "O") was repeated with the Latin expression per se ("by itself").[3][4][5] This habit was useful in spelling where a word or syllable was repeated after spelling; e.g. "d, o, g—dog" would be clear but simply saying "a—a" would be confusing without the clarifying "per se" added. It was also common practice to add the "&" sign at the end of the alphabet as if it were the 27th letter, pronounced as the Latin et or later in English as and. As a result, the recitation of the alphabet would end in "X, Y, Z, and per se and". This last phrase was routinely slurred to "ampersand" and the term had entered common English usage by 1837.[4][6][7] However, in contrast to the 26 letters, the ampersand does not represent a speech sound—although other characters that were dropped from the English alphabet did, such as the Old English thorn, wynn, and eth.

Who said blondes were thick?

"

Nobody in my earshot.

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 17/12/15 00:26:09]

over a year ago

"The amp usually comes up on a profile or similar as people use emoticons/emoji direct from their device which is corrupted by the software translation...

eg. A emoji off my fone = ?? when it appears on this forum

xx

"

Post new Message to Thread