Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Animal Lovers

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

No, not like that - you dirty, DIRTY bastard...

It's a simple question, has anyone ever had a pet, they genuinely loved like a family member? Is it possible to love an animal as intensely as you would a person, and if you don't believe so, or at least don't feel it personally, then why not?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *eryBigGirlWoman
over a year ago

East Yorkshire

[Removed by poster at 12/12/15 23:17:23]

By *eryBigGirlWoman
over a year ago

East Yorkshire

Yes I do. I got my baby Basset when I found out I couldn't have children and I loved him and still miss him every single day. The day I let him go will haunt me forever despite knowing I did the right thing

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

I've never loved a pet in the way that I love people but I have felt strong love for them.

By *inky-MinxWoman
over a year ago

Grantham

"has anyone ever had a pet, they genuinely loved like a family member? Is it possible to love an animal as intensely as you would a person"

Yes, definitely

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Pooch

He is family , its his birthday on Tuesday . So I will get him a card and the nook of sixteenth century Italian poetry he asked for

By *inky-MinxWoman
over a year ago

Grantham

It's safe to love them fully. Not people.

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 12/12/15 23:20:18]

over a year ago

"has anyone ever had a pet, they genuinely loved like a family member? Is it possible to love an animal as intensely as you would a person

Yes, definitely "

I agree. The only time they break your heart is when they cross the rainbow bridge.

over a year ago

I love my dog like the son I never had and don't care who knows it as he's my bessie mate

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

"has anyone ever had a pet, they genuinely loved like a family member? Is it possible to love an animal as intensely as you would a person

Yes, definitely

I agree. The only time they break your heart is when they cross the rainbow bridge."

My old cat would regularly break my heart by peeing on my bed when she was annoyed with me.

over a year ago

I always had dogs growing up and loved each of them, and have very recently adopted 3 abandoned kittens. Yes I love them but there is a pecking order it's important and good for an animal to understand the hierarchy in a household

over a year ago

"I always had dogs growing up and loved each of them, and have very recently adopted 3 abandoned kittens. Yes I love them but there is a pecking order it's important and good for an animal to understand the hierarchy in a household "

2 kittens

over a year ago

Yes,

We had a dog growing up, She was with us for 12 years of my life, She never spent a night in the yard and slept in my parents bedroom, I can still remember the day she died I came home and knew instantly something was wrong, She was more like a sister then a animal, I still have dreams about her to this day

over a year ago

I love my dogs. I think the love I have for humans is different than the love I have for animals, though.

Having said that, I generally don't like people very much and don't want children. My dogs are my family and I love them as such.

-Courtney

By *adybee77Woman
over a year ago

MAMOBA, miles and miles of bugger all (Aberdeenshire)

I love my wee Border Terrier. He is an amazing wee dog. Broke my heart when I had to rehome him - after I became a single mum (my son was only just one) he started running away in the evenings, escaping from the garden... so I took the immensely hard decision to look for a new home.

Thankfully, my dad took him on, so we still see the amazing wee poochy! Love him to bits and so glad he is somewhere now where he can get all the attention he needs, and selfishly, we still get to have a share in his time and affection!

over a year ago

"I always had dogs growing up and loved each of them, and have very recently adopted 3 abandoned kittens. Yes I love them but there is a pecking order it's important and good for an animal to understand the hierarchy in a household "

Yes that is jolly correct and a hierarchy should quickly be established. Pooch has the brains , the looks and charisma ha ha i know my place he also dictates all my postings

By *oward1978Man
over a year ago

Rotherham

"No, not like that - you dirty, DIRTY bastard...

It's a simple question, has anyone ever had a pet, they genuinely loved like a family member? Is it possible to love an animal as intensely as you would a person, and if you don't believe so, or at least don't feel it personally, then why not?"

Yes. Maybe a slightly different kind of love, but then I guess everyone you love, you love in a different kind of way.

I had a cat who was everything to me for a long time. I did love him. And I understand it probably sounds daft to people who've never been in that situation. He was the best friend I ever had and he got me through some hard times. I miss him, and I know I always will.

over a year ago

It's a simple question, has anyone ever had a pet, they genuinely loved like a family member? Is it possible to love an animal as intensely as you would a person, and if you don't believe so, or at least don't feel it personally, then why not?"

Yes. My last Springer Spaniel (Penny). She helped me through some very dark times. I had to have her put to sleep on my birthday 4yrs ago and since then I've never celebrated it.

I can't currently imagine life without the mutt that is currently cuddled up on my left side either.

By *oxy_minxWoman
over a year ago

Scotland - Aberdeen

When my Guinness died of a heart attack in my arms, I have never felt my heart break in so many places and that was over ten years ago now, he was my best friend and went though many situations together x

over a year ago

Never had a pet but if a meet has a cat or a puppy then I'm probably gonna completely forget the reason I was there and end up playing with the fluffy thing

over a year ago

"I always had dogs growing up and loved each of them, and have very recently adopted 3 abandoned kittens. Yes I love them but there is a pecking order it's important and good for an animal to understand the hierarchy in a household

Yes that is jolly correct and a hierarchy should quickly be established. Pooch has the brains , the looks and charisma ha ha i know my place he also dictates all my postings "

Glad you guys have figures out what works for you lol

over a year ago

"Never had a pet but if a meet has a cat or a puppy then I'm probably gonna completely forget the reason I was there and end up playing with the fluffy thing"

Aawwwhhh

over a year ago

"Never had a pet but if a meet has a cat or a puppy then I'm probably gonna completely forget the reason I was there and end up playing with the fluffy thing

Aawwwhhh"

You how when a little kid is playing with a dog when they visit family and aftwr aboit an hour the dog kinda looks at its owner with that "I've done my part you deal with him now" look?

Yeah that's what they do to me

By *rtemisiaWoman
over a year ago

Norwich

We have two cats and a dog and I love them all. As is the way with animals, they die via accident, disease or old age. They are missed and yet I don't mourn for them the way I would for a person. Ted Hughes once wrote a poem about cats and said that when we come home tired from the world, stroking them is therapeutic. 'Into our hands flow the powers of the beasts who ignore these ways of ours' is what he said. I think we love them for their innocence and simplicity.

over a year ago

I think it's possible. It's never happened to me, but relatives and friends all have pets they love dearly.

My partner's cats are totally in love with him. I've never seen cats act that way before, he's like a kitty God. Think one gets a bit jealous when we close her out of the bedroom.

By *oxy_minxWoman
over a year ago

Scotland - Aberdeen

When I was with my ex, we kept pet rats, and he was like the bloody pied piper.....we had one ratty that my Guinness tolerated and they even used to share a bowl of rice pudding...the other ratties? Guinness was very wary of them

By *risky_MareWoman
over a year ago

...Up on the Downs

It's a simple question, has anyone ever had a pet, they genuinely loved like a family member? Is it possible to love an animal as intensely as you would a person,"

God yes, the horse I bred was like a child to me - I loved him from the moment I saw his heartbeat on the 21 day scan, and we were so closely bonded we could feel each others thoughts. Most beautiful creature ever to walk this earth.

By *asokittyWoman
over a year ago

Nr Worksop

I prefer my cats to the majority of people!

By *unloversCouple
over a year ago

rotherham

over a year ago

I have the most frustrating dog in the world and as much as I would love to send her back to the RSPCA some days I couldn't be without her. She looks out for me and not long after I rescued her she stopped me from being mugged by 3 lads while I was out walking her.

By *unloversCouple
over a year ago

rotherham

Keep her

By *ire_bladeMan
over a year ago

Manchester

2 dogs a parrot and a rabbit need it say more

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

little house on the praire

For me its a different kind of love, but my cats are my babies and my family.

I think it's hard for people who don't have pets to understand

over a year ago

They are like 3 other children I never had. Just like family.

over a year ago

2 German shepherds that are part of the family and wouldn't part with them for the world

By *oodbuddy 51Man
over a year ago

Rosslare

Our last German Shepherd was 13 when her back hips gave out. She was my youngest sons dog and he couldnt get home for 3 days and the vet said she wasnt in pain so we kept her until he got home. he and his brother dug a grave in the garden and the vet came out and gave her an injection so she's buried in the garden now and even has her own head stone. She will always be with us and I shed a tear for her as I write this after 6 years.

over a year ago

I think that people absolutely can love a pet as much as, or more than, a person.

I haven't though, much as I love them.

over a year ago

This is a hugely emotive subject .

As a kid , I grew up with Labradors and they really were like my best friends . As I got older , my duties included taking them for their daily walk , come rain or shine , and as a teenager I did begin to resent the fact that I had to get home to walk them before I could do anything else . By the time I was 15 and wanted to spend more time with mates , I had a bust up with my parents over it , and never felt the same again about pets .

So while I fully understand those who love their pets , it's not for me . An unnecessary responsibility as far as I am concerned , so I'm out .

over a year ago

"This is a hugely emotive subject .

As a kid , I grew up with Labradors and they really were like my best friends . As I got older , my duties included taking them for their daily walk , come rain or shine , and as a teenager I did begin to resent the fact that I had to get home to walk them before I could do anything else . By the time I was 15 and wanted to spend more time with mates , I had a bust up with my parents over it , and never felt the same again about pets .

So while I fully understand those who love their pets , it's not for me . An unnecessary responsibility as far as I am concerned , so I'm out ."

I agree especially with the last part. I didn't really want another dog after the bulldog I had with my X got put down but he pestered and he ended up choosing the dog I'm now a little bit stuck with. She has a few issues and when we split he took her back to the RSPCA. I had suggested to him it would've been better to put her to sleep instead of passing the problem on. I found out what he had done and let my heart rule my head and rescued her back. The 2 years I had spent previously trying to iron out all her issues completely ruined and she was back to being the frightened dog she was when we first rescued her. As much as I love my dog sometimes I wish I didn't have the responsibility.

By *imiUKMan
over a year ago

Hereford

"This is a hugely emotive subject .

So while I fully understand those who love their pets , it's not for me . An unnecessary responsibility as far as I am concerned , so I'm out ."

I get that.

I have three dogs and I can't go anywhere overnight without arranging someone to come and let them out. I feel guilty if I'm out too long in the day...

They are like slightly annoying relatives in my book.

over a year ago

"Our last German Shepherd was 13 when her back hips gave out. She was my youngest sons dog and he couldnt get home for 3 days and the vet said she wasnt in pain so we kept her until he got home. he and his brother dug a grave in the garden and the vet came out and gave her an injection so she's buried in the garden now and even has her own head stone. She will always be with us and I shed a tear for her as I write this after 6 years."

I find them incredible dogs and I was the same as you when I lost my old English sheepdog. She's been cremated and sits on the dining room unit ready to be laid to rest with me when I'm gone. God knows what I will be like when these 2 go. But I've decided not to have anymore. Hurts to much

over a year ago

I love my cat more than I love any person x

over a year ago

Male here - have a love for all animals - utterly hate to see any suffer - I seem to have attracted cats all my life - wherever I go, cats come to me like a magnet - it's quite weird and drives the missus nuts! We have 3 rescue cats living with us in the house - another one in the garage and 3 or 4 that we feed regularly on the patio (as well as the 3 legged fox, baby hedgehog, the birds etc.) - your sincerely - Dr Dolittle (and yes I truly love them all!)

By *rtemisiaWoman
over a year ago

Norwich

"When I was with my ex, we kept pet rats, and he was like the bloody pied piper.....we had one ratty that my Guinness tolerated and they even used to share a bowl of rice pudding...the other ratties? Guinness was very wary of them "

We had two pet ratties, Remy and Howard. They were great. Such clever little fellows. They both died of old age a long time ago and now we have a python called Monty. Still weirds me out that he eats rats every week for his dinner.

over a year ago

I love our dog more than Mrsdpt.

If I locked them both in the garage for an hour and went to the pub, who'd be happier to see me when I let them out

over a year ago

I've loved all of my dogs as much as,if not more than,my family.my vet said to me once that if you aren't prepared to treat your dog as one of the family,you shouldn't have one in the first place!!

over a year ago

Definitely.

We had a boy cat called Poppy - don't ask! - from when I was eighteen months old and he was five months old. He died just after I turned 16, ten years this month, and I still think about him and miss him.

Then we got two sister kittens the year after - they were born exactly two weeks after Poppy's birthday - called Lily & Ruby. Ruby was run over just after they turned 1, but Lily's sat next to my head as I speak, purring away. She's an utter pain but I wouldn't change her for the world, cos she's my Lou Lou

By *inky-MinxWoman
over a year ago

Grantham

"I love our dog more than Mrsdpt.

If I locked them both in the garage for an hour and went to the pub, who'd be happier to see me when I let them out "

That's like an experiment so it's science and means it's true

Post new Message to Thread