Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

A dilemma....

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

A railway carriage is running out of control down a track.In its path are a young family of five people who have been tied to the track by a mad scientist.Fortunately,you could flip a switch,which will lead the carriage down a different track to safety.Unfortunately,there is a elderly single person tied to that track.

Should you flip the switch or do nothing?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

let the oldie have it they have had there life

By *randmrsfreakyCouple
over a year ago

alfreton near chesterfield

flip

By *unky monkeyMan
over a year ago

in the night garden

Is the old person female?

I like gummy blow jobs is all, and she would be very grateful.

over a year ago

What if its your Nan?????

over a year ago

Flip the switch. Women and children first always

over a year ago

Untie the old person then flip the switch and save everybody.

over a year ago

"What if its your Nan????? "

over a year ago

Obviously, I would wait until the carriage had entered the section of rai-track containing the track-change points. I’d then flip the tack-change switch many times in rapid succession thus causing the carriage to derail subsequently saving everyone…

Struth,,, I mean what else,,,, its not like it hard ….is it…

Tuh.....

By *he_original_poloWoman
over a year ago

a Primark shoebox in Leicester

Save the old person... if they have no family they'll need someone to leave their money to.

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 14/01/11 11:40:48]

over a year ago

"Obviously, I would wait until the carriage had entered the section of rai-track containing the track-change points. I’d then flip the tack-change switch many times in rapid succession thus causing the carriage to derail subsequently saving everyone…

Tuh..... "

beat me to it

over a year ago

untie the old person and tie them up next to the family. I am nothing if fair!

Forum Mod

over a year ago

"untie the old person and tie them up next to the family. I am nothing if fair!"

Hahahaha!

over a year ago

The ingenuity of the mad scientist knows no bounds .....posted next to the switch is a note, upon which is written ....

Any attempt to flip this switch with any rapidity,will result in a bomb exploding underneath the floor of the local community centre.....

Yours Favourably.....Ichabod

over a year ago

"The ingenuity of the mad scientist knows no bounds .....posted next to the switch is a note, upon which is written ....

Any attempt to flip this switch with any rapidity,will result in a bomb exploding underneath the floor of the local community centre.....

Yours Favourably.....Ichabod "

You evil master criminal

over a year ago

"The ingenuity of the mad scientist knows no bounds .....posted next to the switch is a note, upon which is written ....

Yours Favourably.....Ichabod "

Now I need to know what time of day it is, so I can work out who will be using the community centre.

over a year ago

Well pardon me all over that place…. But as anyone who knows anything about the eratic actions of a Mad Scientists, would simply set fire to the note without reading it. Thus cause the mad scientist to enter a fit of rage at the sheer audacity of your action, he will then simpley abandon the plan to blow up the community centre as no-one would ever know him who caused it because all evidence of his involvment would have burned with the note

over a year ago

Now I need to know what time of day it is, so I can work out who will be using the community centre."

Its the weekly weightwatchers class..ahem!!!...who meet at 9.00 am...the same time as the toddlers group..

over a year ago

"Obviously, I would wait until the carriage had entered the section of rai-track containing the track-change points. I’d then flip the tack-change switch many times in rapid succession thus causing the carriage to derail subsequently saving everyone…

Tuh..... "

I see a flaw in your thinking here. What about the poor buggers on the train - unless it is a goods freight train which only has a driver, and in THAT case the ASLEF militant bastard can make like a captain and go down with his loco.

over a year ago

press the emergency brake on the train then it will stop and then people are saved

over a year ago

"Well pardon me all over that place…. But as anyone who knows anything about the eratic actions of a Mad Scientists, would simply set fire to the note without reading it. Thus cause the mad scientist to enter a fit of rage at the sheer audacity of your action, he will then simpley abandon the plan to blow up the community centre as no-one would ever know him who caused it because all evidence of his involvment would have burned with the note "

The flip switch is an empty room, with a security camera positioned 20 ft high ....guarded by laser beams....and sensor pressure mats unerneath.....the images are being sent to the local police station

over a year ago

"

The flip switch is an empty room, with a security camera positioned 20 ft high ....guarded by laser beams....and sensor pressure mats unerneath.....the images are being sent to the local police station "

However unbeknown to the mad scientist he has left such a catastrophic trail of evidence while planting out the software and hardware used for his dastardly but miserably failing attempts to perpetuate evil doings,,, The very police from the Police station where the camera is located apprehend him and he is brought in for questioning at that very local police station. Ironicly, he is held in a cell with very large Nigerian chap who happens to be incarcerated there while awaiting deportation having previously been jailed for coincidentally performing sex crimes against mad scientist. As all this take place, the explosive devices have been rendered safe by army bomb disposal experts…. And totally by chance rail-workers call strike action thus the rail-carriage never even left the rolling stock yard….……

By *orestersCouple
over a year ago

The Forest

Run over the family and save the country a fortune in child benefits

over a year ago

Part of the mad scientists plan is to test your morality......

By doing nothing, you could argue you are just bearing witness..

However by flipping the switch you commit an act .....in this case,one of murder......

Would it be morally right to save the 5 people in favour of the one ?

By *emima_puddlefuckCouple
over a year ago

hexham

I would call for captain underpants,he always saves the day!

I would flip,you are not committing murder,the scientist is,you are reacting to his plan.

over a year ago

Now I need to know what time of day it is, so I can work out who will be using the community centre.

Its the weekly weightwatchers class..ahem!!!...who meet at 9.00 am...the same time as the toddlers group.. "

Oh no question about it then... flick the switch like crazy!

9am.... fat bastard jobless single mums *boom*

over a year ago

"I would call for captain underpants,he always saves the day!

I would flip,you are not committing murder,the scientist is,you are reacting to his plan."

You`re responsible for your own actions aren`t you ......he made me do it, isn`t gona cut it I fear?

over a year ago

Hmmmm….. The idea of testing people morality by presenting them with hypothetical situations,,,, is just that,,, a test that provides conclusions based on something that may or may not happen in reality.....

It could be argued that if someone sets a test of people reactions to hypothetical situations…. The very act of the person setting the test suggests that any subsequent conclusion drawn based on the answers received would be a damming acknowledgement of the test setters limited ability to further stretch their own imagination in considering those answers,,,,, This may or may not indicate the person setting the test might not be the right person to proffer a hypothetical test in the first place….. ….

Hypothetically speaking of course,,,, and I have been known to get it wrong in the past…. After all I once though I’d made a mistake, then found I hadn’t……….

over a year ago

OH my..... whats up with me today....

over a year ago

this single person?

is it a single male?

it is?

flip

over a year ago

"Hmmmm….. The idea of testing people morality by presenting them with hypothetical situations,,,, is just that,,, a test that provides conclusions based on something that may or may not happen in reality.....

It could be argued that if someone sets a test of people reactions to hypothetical situations…. The very act of the person setting the test suggests that any subsequent conclusion drawn based on the answers received would be a damming acknowledgement of the test setters limited ability to further stretch their own imagination in considering those answers,,,,, This may or may not indicate the person setting the test might not be the right person to proffer a hypothetical test in the first place….. ….

Hypothetically speaking of course,,,, and I have been known to get it wrong in the past…. After all I once though I’d made a mistake, then found I hadn’t……….

"

haha yeah...I love game theory s`well...

over a year ago

"this single person?

is it a single male?

it is?

flip "

Its the kiddies Granny

Forum Mod

over a year ago

NOOOOOO!!!!!!!

over a year ago

"NOOOOOO!!!!!!! "

Muahahaha

over a year ago

Seems this thread has run its course, which is fine.But for anyone remotely interested in knowing a liitle more about this classic thought experiment by Phillipa Foot can browse `trolley problem` on Wiki...

ps...another is The Lady and The Tiger ..

Cheers...happy swinging ..x

over a year ago

"Seems this thread has run its course, "

Hmmmm......now....remind me.... would that be called an inconclusive conclusion or not....

over a year ago

"A railway carriage is running out of control down a track.In its path are a young family of five people who have been tied to the track by a mad scientist.Fortunately,you could flip a switch,which will lead the carriage down a different track to safety.Unfortunately,there is a elderly single person tied to that track.

Should you flip the switch or do nothing?"

We got given this on our first year in psychology, we were doing on how actions effect emotions.. except in the version we had.. it was one child or 5.

Katie.x

over a year ago

"Seems this thread has run its course,

Hmmmm......now....remind me.... would that be called an inconclusive conclusion or not....

"

A definite mabye mucks

over a year ago

A definite mabye mucks "

Ahh,,,, I see,,,,,,,,, conclusively inconclusive eh!

over a year ago

"A railway carriage is running out of control down a track.In its path are a young family of five people who have been tied to the track by a mad scientist.Fortunately,you could flip a switch,which will lead the carriage down a different track to safety.Unfortunately,there is a elderly single person tied to that track.

Should you flip the switch or do nothing?

We got given this on our first year in psychology, we were doing on how actions effect emotions.. except in the version we had.. it was one child or 5.

Katie.x"

Yeah ...its common as muck really ....I tinkered with it,as the implication of young family,elderly relative attached emotions to the dnamic...just playing around tbh...

over a year ago

It does.. for me I was more interested in listening to how people justified their action or inaction..

Katie.x

over a year ago

A definite mabye mucks

Ahh,,,, I see,,,,,,,,, conclusively inconclusive eh! "

Paralysis analysis

over a year ago

"It does.. for me I was more interested in listening to how people justified their action or inaction..

Katie.x"

Yeah..it raises all sorts of questions....being already in a amoral situ et al....and could I play God ...do I have a moral obligation ...loads really ..

over a year ago

"

Paralysis analysis "

Is that like another way of saying,,,,

"Before the experiment we must conclude, inconclusive finding may or may not provide either conclusive or inconclusive evidence that will support our original conclusion to conclude either conclusive or inconclusive conclusions will be conclusive unless this conclusion is of course found to be inconclusive

over a year ago

"

Paralysis analysis

Is that like another way of saying,,,,

"Before the experiment we must conclude, inconclusive finding may or may not provide either conclusive or inconclusive evidence that will support our original conclusion to conclude either conclusive or inconclusive conclusions will be conclusive unless this conclusion is of course found to be inconclusive "

Which we could conclude posits room fer some determinism ....hereupon I could congratulate you with a big * raspberry*....yer conclusion proved conclusive with my own

over a year ago

"

Which we could conclude posits room fer some determinism ....hereupon I could congratulate you with a big * raspberry*....yer conclusion proved conclusive with my own "

I shall cordially accept your Raspberry and verily return a gustier of Touché …….

over a year ago

How about if you flick the switch after the family are squished to take in the pensioner too, and then repeatedly flick it till the train derails, preferably onto the community centre, whereupon it slides into the mad scientists lab, killing him too?

Too much?

over a year ago

"How about if you flick the switch after the family are squished to take in the pensioner too, and then repeatedly flick it till the train derails, preferably onto the community centre, whereupon it slides into the mad scientists lab, killing him too?

Too much? "

Its certainly a solution with merits... infact I can see lots of people going with that option…

Your obviously someone that like to see problems solved quickly and effectively …….

I salute your ingeniously creative perspective

over a year ago

Of course the slower option is for the brakes to be applied on said carriage, and all live to fight, (or in the case of the mad scientist- plot murder) another day.

Was watching Hot Fuzz last night so in reality, it would be the oldie, "For the greater good".

over a year ago

"How about if you flick the switch after the family are squished to take in the pensioner too, and then repeatedly flick it till the train derails, preferably onto the community centre, whereupon it slides into the mad scientists lab, killing him too?

Too much? "

The mad ever industrious and lisping Ichabod is circling overhead in a helicopter...stroking his swamp frog...General Bugmeister.....whose condign yomping foresaw some erstwhile earthling clocking the brakes ....unfortunately they`re disabled..cue the maniacle laugh

Post new Message to Thread