Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Ignorance corner with Mr J

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Right let me be the first to ask something I have always wondered but never asked because I "should already know"

What is the difference between miss & ms?

Mr J

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Miss is an unmarried woman, Ms is deliberately not determined by marital status.

By *r mrs pCouple
over a year ago

taunton

"Right let me be the first to ask something I have always wondered but never asked because I "should already know"

Mr J"

An i and 2 s's

By *inky-MinxWoman
over a year ago

Grantham

To me it is:

Miss = never married

Ms = was married but isn't now, how dare you call me Miss, a catchall in case you don't know if they are a Miss or Mrs.

over a year ago

"Right let me be the first to ask something I have always wondered but never asked because I "should already know"

Mr J"

Miss is normally an unmarried, not been married lady. Ms, a lady who is divorced or in a civil partnership and no longer wishesnti use the title miss or Mrs. That is how I have always defined it myself.

over a year ago

Mr J

Miss is normally an unmarried, not been married lady. Ms, a lady who is divorced or in a civil partnership and no longer wishesnti use the title miss or Mrs. That is how I have always defined it myself."

I thought Ms could just be if you chose to use it. I know a Ms who has never been married.

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 07/12/15 21:24:21]

over a year ago

"To me it is:

Miss = never married

Ms = was married but isn't now, how dare you call me Miss, a catchall in case you don't know if they are a Miss or Mrs.

"

No, I've chosen Ms as my title since I was 16 and opened my first bank account.

over a year ago

Mr J

Miss is normally an unmarried, not been married lady. Ms, a lady who is divorced or in a civil partnership and no longer wishesnti use the title miss or Mrs. That is how I have always defined it myself.

I thought Ms could just be if you chose to use it. I know a Ms who has never been married. "

Quite probably yes, but I've never met a Ms who hasn't been married or in a partnership

over a year ago

Mr J

I thought Ms could just be if you chose to use it. I know a Ms who has never been married. "

Yep this!

By *angerousEyesMan
over a year ago

weston

Mr J

this is correct.

over a year ago

Mr J

I thought Ms could just be if you chose to use it. I know a Ms who has never been married.

Quite probably yes, but I've never met a Ms who hasn't been married or in a partnership "

I know plenty.

over a year ago

"To me it is:

Miss = never married

"

Most of the ladies i know who have been married kept the Mrs title.

By *trawberry-popWoman
over a year ago

South East Midlands NOT

My mum was a Ms throughout her marriage and kept her own surname. So her name hasn't changed at all, ever.

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

little house on the praire

Miss = someome who isn't currently married

Ms= can be anyone

Mrs= someone who!is married or like me to lazy to change it back

over a year ago

Mr J

Miss is normally an unmarried, not been married lady. Ms, a lady who is divorced or in a civil partnership and no longer wishesnti use the title miss or Mrs. That is how I have always defined it myself."

I believe this to be correct too. Although since I got divorced recently I've decided I want to be a miss again so I am!!!

By *hortieWoman
over a year ago

Northampton

I always tell people off when they refer to me as Ms.. I freaking HATE it!!

Mrs for me. When I officially go back to my maiden name, I will be referred to as Miss again.

over a year ago

Ms,someone who doesn't want to be defined by her marital status

over a year ago

Mr J

I would see it this way too but would say the title Ms would be maybe used more by women in their the mid 20's upwards.

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

"I always tell people off when they refer to me as Ms.. I freaking HATE it!!

Mrs for me. When I officially go back to my maiden name, I will be referred to as Miss again.

"

over a year ago

I'm greedy I have all 3 titles of Miss Mrs and Ms currently in operation

over a year ago

Mr J

I believe this to be correct too. Although since I got divorced recently I've decided I want to be a miss again so I am!!! "

I want to be a miss again, and I would be if the courts hadn't lost my divorce paperwork

over a year ago

Mr J

I believe this to be correct too. Although since I got divorced recently I've decided I want to be a miss again so I am!!!

I want to be a miss again, and I would be if the courts hadn't lost my divorce paperwork "

I changed my name by deed pill hun. Before my divorce papers came through. It's very easily done online.

over a year ago

* poll. Ffs. Auto carrot!!!

over a year ago

Mr J

I want to be a miss again, and I would be if the courts hadn't lost my divorce paperwork

I changed my name by deed pill hun. Before my divorce papers came through. It's very easily done online. "

I may well do thay then

over a year ago

When I finally get round to divorcing him I'm going to go for Ms and a double barrelled surname, my maiden name and my old married one, only so I still have part of the same name as my kids x

over a year ago

"Ms,someone who doesn't want to be defined by her marital status "

over a year ago

"When I finally get round to divorcing him I'm going to go for Ms and a double barrelled surname, my maiden name and my old married one, only so I still have part of the same name as my kids x"

If I did that I would have a 16 letter surname,plus the hyphen. I would hate having to sign my name.

over a year ago

"When I finally get round to divorcing him I'm going to go for Ms and a double barrelled surname, my maiden name and my old married one, only so I still have part of the same name as my kids x

If I did that I would have a 16 letter surname,plus the hyphen. I would hate having to sign my name."

Mine is 14 (15 with the hyphen!) my maiden name is a weird one too lol

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

I think next year I will get round to changing my name back, its just laziness that has stopped me but I will definetly be miss I think ms sounds like a dried up old spinister

By *om and JennieCouple
over a year ago

Chams or Socials

I kept Mrs married surname because of the boys & work but I absolutely hate it. It's very short though

I may go back to my maiden name when boys are older. Eldest wants to change to my lovely maiden name too

By *adybee77Woman
over a year ago

MAMOBA, miles and miles of bugger all (Aberdeenshire)

"I think next year I will get round to changing my name back, its just laziness that has stopped me but I will definetly be miss I think ms sounds like a dried up old spinister

"

One very happy dried up spinster here.

I'm a Ms. Miss did not feel right and sure as hell did not want to stay Mrs, but wanted the same surname as my son still.

over a year ago

I've gone back to miss from Mrs

By *otForSoftiesWoman
over a year ago

The North / Party Hard Everywhere

In the age of equality women should only have one like men do and not a choice to denote age and/or marital status. Miss should be like Master and end in childhood and not continue to show someone is unmarried - I find it disrespectful to label grown women like this. We shouldn't have to change it when circumstances change. Or be asked which one whenever there's a form to complete. Or have to correct it when there's the inevitable incorrect assumption. It annoys me obviously

over a year ago

Mr J"

One you badly miss & the other you only just ms ....... by the skin of your teeth...sort of...

over a year ago

"In the age of equality women should only have one like men do and not a choice to denote age and/or marital status. Miss should be like Master and end in childhood and not continue to show someone is unmarried - I find it disrespectful to label grown women like this. We shouldn't have to change it when circumstances change. Or be asked which one whenever there's a form to complete. Or have to correct it when there's the inevitable incorrect assumption. It annoys me obviously

"

over a year ago

Ms = you're about to get a long protracted rant about feminism, how men are bastards, and how you're personally oppressing women everywhere by using anything else.

General is my experience with any women who uses the term to refer to herself.

By *yrdwomanWoman
over a year ago

Putting the 'cum' in Eboracum

I'm very definitely a Miss!

By *igeiaWoman
over a year ago

Bristol

"In the age of equality women should only have one like men do and not a choice to denote age and/or marital status. Miss should be like Master and end in childhood and not continue to show someone is unmarried - I find it disrespectful to label grown women like this. We shouldn't have to change it when circumstances change. Or be asked which one whenever there's a form to complete. Or have to correct it when there's the inevitable incorrect assumption. It annoys me obviously

"

. Men are just Mr. Why on earth are women titled depending on their current proximity to a man?

By *lligator3Man
over a year ago

Dundee

I believe the French use the nonspecific madam, a term of respect and social status not involved when addressing her.

Sounds the way forward but you lot might use that term here already for something else

over a year ago

. Men are just Mr. Why on earth are women titled depending on their current proximity to a man?"

.it's so the postman knows if he can hit on you or not

over a year ago

"Ms = you're about to get a long protracted rant about feminism, how men are bastards, and how you're personally oppressing women everywhere by using anything else.

General is my experience with any women who uses the term to refer to herself. "

Only when questioned why on earth you're using that title, when "women should be happy with Miss or Mrs". Sigh.

By *ohnaronMan
over a year ago

london

I know this will be terribly unfair to many but we used to avoid girls who were Mz because they were not the best looking and often seemed to be unhinged.

By *lligator3Man
over a year ago

Dundee

"

Can see what you mean and it shouldn't matter having marital status define how your are addressed but it's a drop in the ocean equality problem when you consider surnames change on getting married for most women.

Ms or Mrs seems small time when you go from Whyte to Black overnight.

over a year ago

I call myself Ms simply because I felt when I was in my thirties I didn't feel young enough to call myself Miss. And I've never been married and unlikely to happen so I will continue to call myself Ms until I die

over a year ago

Out of curiosity isn't it purely choice to change it when you get married it's not law or anything?

over a year ago

"

Can see what you mean and it shouldn't matter having marital status define how your are addressed but it's a drop in the ocean equality problem when you consider surnames change on getting married for most women.

Ms or Mrs seems small time when you go from Whyte to Black overnight."

I've had the same surname all my life. I suggested to my husband when we married that we both changed our surnames to eg a grandparent's name or a place that was meaningful to us. He said "I'm not changing my name for anyone". Point proven.

Divorced 11 years later and so glad I stuck to my principles.

over a year ago

"Out of curiosity isn't it purely choice to change it when you get married it's not law or anything?"

Yes, it's just personal preference.

over a year ago

I did not foresee this level of response. Thanks for all the comments ladies, be you miss, ms, mrs or some combination of the three. It's been an interesting read.

Mr J

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

Mr J"

It has always been Mr. for men.

Miss for unmarried women.

Mrs. for married women.

Unease arose amongst women who couldn't help but question why their marital status should be apparent by their name when the status of men wasn't treated this way.

Ms. was introduced so that women don't have to reveal ( just as men don't ) whether they are married or not.

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

"I know this will be terribly unfair to many but we used to avoid girls who were Mz because they were not the best looking and often seemed to be unhinged."

It says a lot.

By *otForSoftiesWoman
over a year ago

The North / Party Hard Everywhere

Ms or Mrs seems small time when you go from Whyte to Black overnight."

It's not a drop in the ocean. This identification is day in day out, we teach our sons and daughters to identify the age and status of a female by how we address her. This is possibly one of the most ingrained inequalities that deserves to be left in the last century.

You may call me Ms. In my case it stands for Mistress

By *irtyGirlWoman
over a year ago

Edinburgh

I hate both and don't use either but if I have to then I'm a Miss. I don't like being addressed as Miss anything though so I opt for my first name.

over a year ago

"I did not foresee this level of response. Thanks for all the comments ladies, be you miss, ms, mrs or some combination of the three. It's been an interesting read.

Mr J"

By *eMontresMan
over a year ago

Halesowen

Mr J"

is

By *amissCouple
over a year ago

chelmsford

Mr J

It has always been Mr. for men.

Miss for unmarried women.

Mrs. for married women.

Unease arose amongst women who couldn't help but question why their marital status should be apparent by their name when the status of men wasn't treated this way.

Ms. was introduced so that women don't have to reveal ( just as men don't ) whether they are married or not. "

This! and quite rightly so. I am a Mrs and proud to be. but others choose to keep their marital status private and that's their prerogative

over a year ago

Ms or Mrs seems small time when you go from Whyte to Black overnight.

It's not a drop in the ocean. This identification is day in day out, we teach our sons and daughters to identify the age and status of a female by how we address her. This is possibly one of the most ingrained inequalities that deserves to be left in the last century.

You may call me Ms. In my case it stands for Mistress "

Yeah next we'll be having married people identify their marital status not only with their name prefixes but some kind of visible symbol.

Maybe some sort of shiny metal ring they could wear on their hands

By *iss_tressWoman
over a year ago

London

Mr J

And I know several Ms' who are married.

By *opsy RogersWoman
over a year ago

London

It's a way of categorising women. Again.

Miss and Mrs denote unmarried and married respectively, but we all know that. In rebellion to that, the title of Ms was developed so that the reader has no idea what the woman's marital status is.

Just like Mr.

By *iss_tressWoman
over a year ago

London

"To me it is:

Miss = never married

Most of the ladies i know who have been married kept the Mrs title."

I have.

By *iss_tressWoman
over a year ago

London

"My mum was a Ms throughout her marriage and kept her own surname. So her name hasn't changed at all, ever. "

My sister too. She's been married over 20 years and hasn't changed her name.

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

There's another one being used too - Mx, which doesn't release gender or marital status information to others. I'm not sure how it's pronounced though.

By *iss_tressWoman
over a year ago

London

Mr J

I would see it this way too but would say the title Ms would be maybe used more by women in their the mid 20's upwards."

My daughters are/were Miss. The eldest changed her name and status when she married.

over a year ago

"My mum was a Ms throughout her marriage and kept her own surname. So her name hasn't changed at all, ever. "

Except of course when she changed it to ms....

By *iss_tressWoman
over a year ago

London

"When I finally get round to divorcing him I'm going to go for Ms and a double barrelled surname, my maiden name and my old married one, only so I still have part of the same name as my kids x"

I wanted to have the same name as my kids too. My maiden name was double barrelled so to add my marital name would be silly.

My two youngest will have double barrel surnames if they marry their boyfriends. Both have half of my maiden name in theirs...weird.

over a year ago

"My mum was a Ms throughout her marriage and kept her own surname. So her name hasn't changed at all, ever.

Except of course when she changed it to ms...."

Which I did at the age of 16. Before that, I didn't really have the opportunity to legally voice an opinion. Being a child, and all...

By *iSTARessWoman
over a year ago

London

I'm a Ms.

My marital status has absolutely nothing to do with anyone.

By *ohnaronMan
over a year ago

london

"I'm a Ms.

My marital status has absolutely nothing to do with anyone."

So you have a husband who does not want to be part of the life style but is never the less very understanding.

over a year ago

So to those who say it's because they don't want people to know their marital status do you wear a wedding/engagement ring (if you're married)

over a year ago

Mr J

Yep this!"

This again!

A guy is called Mr from when he reaches adult-hood!

A woman was previously defined by her marital status - miss then Mrs - and at one time there was a real stigma if you never became a Mrs!

Understandably many women, myself included (though I'd hardly call myself a women's libber!), don't wish to be defined by our marital status - therefore we refer to ourselves as 'ms'!

over a year ago

Quite often people use it for you - call centres, banks, shops - I get loads of stuff addressed to Ms even though I choose to go by Mrs.

over a year ago

I have a new one!

What's the difference between unleaded petrol & super unleaded? Can you use either in a petrol engine or does the engine have to be designed for one or the other?

Mr J

over a year ago

"I have a new one!

What's the difference between unleaded petrol & super unleaded? Can you use either in a petrol engine or does the engine have to be designed for one or the other?

Mr J"

Lesson 1:Always ask Mrs J before posting

You can't put diesel in a petrol or it wrecks the engine.

Mrs J xx

By *opsy RogersWoman
over a year ago

London

"I have a new one!

Mr J"

You've just invoked Mr Who...

By *helbeeCouple
over a year ago

Nuneaton

I've resorted back to my maiden name an consider myself a miss still ...back to my own identity an who i was before I married ..an now happily divorced

Post new Message to Thread