Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Corrie anomaly

Jump to newest

By *artytwo OP   Couple
over a year ago

Wolverhampton

Just happened across a soap forum and some contributors were ranting about the 'Simon Barlow' (Alex bain) character in corrie appearing to be mixed race when his parents are meant to be white. Some were saying that it shouldn't make any difference what race or colour a character is as we're all meant to be colour blind theses days.

However, we wondered what outrage there would be if a white actor was used to portray a usually accepted black character like they used to in the old days of fillum.

What do the panel think?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Made me laugh. Poor kid being called an anomaly.

And no, black face isn't acceptable.

over a year ago

"Made me laugh. Poor kid being called an anomaly.

And no, black face isn't acceptable."

He never said black face just imagine a white kid playing the role of a black character

Wild be hilarious especially if he black parents and brothers etc no explication for why he's white.

over a year ago

I thought his mum was black or mixed race?

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

Recessive gene?

Future story line that his father isn't his biological father?

I don't watch Corrie.

By *awandOrderCouple
over a year ago

SW London

Its an interesting one as we have five mixed race kids between us and each is a different shade, two could pass for white .... like people do not realise they are mixed race at all. Such is the way of the world these days, and I think its good that everyone is a mixture ... but how are we going to cope when we go live in the sticks?

By *nleashedCrakenMan
over a year ago

Widnes

I don't think anything about it at all.

By *artytwo OP   Couple
over a year ago

Wolverhampton

Haven't been on here for a while and just checking the old content.

This one fell flat then lol.

No corrie fans?

By *trawberry-popWoman
over a year ago

South East Midlands NOT

Simon isn't leanne's biological son. I think. You'll have to ask wiki.

over a year ago

I remember simon's mum being a florist and she had blonde hair and wasn't mixed race.

over a year ago

I used to get teased and bullied because people thought that my dad couldn't be my dad because if my skin colour, but he always used to put his hand on my shoulder and look me in the eye and say

"He lie, he bad man, you my son, you good boy , lee tongs number one son, I no lie you my son"

Always made me feel better

over a year ago

But hi mom who died was mixed race ( don't quote me on that ) but that's what I thought she passed away etc

By *trawberry-popWoman
over a year ago

South East Midlands NOT

"Its an interesting one as we have five mixed race kids between us and each is a different shade, two could pass for white .... like people do not realise they are mixed race at all. Such is the way of the world these days, and I think its good that everyone is a mixture ... but how are we going to cope when we go live in the sticks?"

Even in unmixed black families there can be massive differences. My ex was 1 of 5 siblings. He has a medium skin tone with hazel eyes and straight hair, his brother looked mixed race with green eyes and afro hair, one of his other brothers is very dark skinned and their sister is very fair skinned but with jet black hair and very dark eyes. The last brother was most similar to my ex in colouring, but with afro hair.

over a year ago

I've not watched virtue for ages but I'm sure that the young actor in question, out acts the rest of the cast, week in week out

By *trawberry-popWoman
over a year ago

South East Midlands NOT

A school friend of mine is the child of a white father and a mixed race mother. She has white blonde (very curly) hair and blue eyes. Her brother is brown skinned with black afro hair and brown eyes.

over a year ago

"But hi mom who died was mixed race ( don't quote me on that ) but that's what I thought she passed away etc "

His mum died of cancer and she wasn't mixed race

By *manda63Woman
over a year ago

Southampton

"Simon isn't leanne's biological son. I think. You'll have to ask wiki. "

She isn't his biological mum

By *manda63Woman
over a year ago

Southampton

"Haven't been on here for a while and just checking the old content.

This one fell flat then lol.

No corrie fans?"

I am a corrie fan

By *manda63Woman
over a year ago

Southampton

"But hi mom who died was mixed race ( don't quote me on that ) but that's what I thought she passed away etc

His mum died of cancer and she wasn't mixed race "

By *entaur_UKMan
over a year ago

Cannock

"I remember simon's mum being a florist and she had blonde hair and wasn't mixed race. "

I remember her in corrie years ago. You are correct she was a white woman with blonde hair.

By *abphilMan
over a year ago

sheffield

Years and years ago the milkman who drove the fastest milkcart in the west and was called Ernie was responsible for many anomalies. Or so they tell me.

By *ohnaronMan
over a year ago

london

"Made me laugh. Poor kid being called an anomaly.

And no, black face isn't acceptable."

Ann O'Maly must be transgendered

over a year ago

"A school friend of mine is the child of a white father and a mixed race mother. She has white blonde (very curly) hair and blue eyes. Her brother is brown skinned with black afro hair and brown eyes. "

I went to school

With a kid whose mum was white dad was black and he looked Asian his older brother dark black and the young one white.

Simons mum is half cast, Leanne is his step mum

And the lesbian is dead sexy ( nothing to do with it but a better story)

over a year ago

"A school friend of mine is the child of a white father and a mixed race mother. She has white blonde (very curly) hair and blue eyes. Her brother is brown skinned with black afro hair and brown eyes. "

if people would understand what my family consists of...and realise that genes can work in very mysterious ways, especially when mixed race people meet non mix race, some of the children can take much more from one side.My sis has 5, only two of them have a hint of colour, the other 3 have their fathers blue eyes, they are very fair skinned etc..

over a year ago

"A school friend of mine is the child of a white father and a mixed race mother. She has white blonde (very curly) hair and blue eyes. Her brother is brown skinned with black afro hair and brown eyes.

I went to school

With a kid whose mum was white dad was black and he looked Asian his older brother dark black and the young one white.

And the lesbian is dead sexy ( nothing to do with it but a better story) "

Simons mum was played by Katy Carmichael who is definitely not mixed race

over a year ago

"A school friend of mine is the child of a white father and a mixed race mother. She has white blonde (very curly) hair and blue eyes. Her brother is brown skinned with black afro hair and brown eyes.

I went to school

And the lesbian is dead sexy ( nothing to do with it but a better story)

Simons mum was played by Katy Carmichael who is definitely not mixed race "

Your right. Then this is wrong.

By *errygTV/TS
over a year ago

denton

its only a soap, does it really matter who is parents are, all soaps are mindless escapism

over a year ago

Mixed up race in tv and film. How would a black atticus finch and white boo radley work! The idris Elba - Bond debate is an interesting one but my all time fav is the casting of God in films. Morgan Freeman is God but don't forget Alanis Morrisette in Dogma.

Post new Message to Thread