Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

man flu??

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Y is it when a man gets a cold it's man flu and they dieing but yet if a woman gets a cold we just carry on n get over it?

Other half has very kindly shared hos cold with me n he had 2 days off work but yet I still have to go do 12 hour shifts! Xz

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Because women are foolish?

over a year ago

Not always true.

Where I work the ladies seem to have every other week off due to a hangover or a slight sniffle whereas all the guys (except me but it's for diffrent reasons) have never had a day off sick at all this year

By *ce WingerMan
over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

We have invented man flu, it's just a cold for men who have women to look after them.

I as a single bloke takes it on the chin as does a single woman who has period pains.

Man flu my arse, get over it

over a year ago

Man flu is a more potent strain, if you have ever had there would be no doubt lol

over a year ago

No such thing as man flu .

Stop being a pansy

over a year ago

"Not always true.

Where I work the ladies seem to have every other week off due to a hangover or a slight sniffle whereas all the guys (except me but it's for diffrent reasons) have never had a day off sick at all this year "

I have not not had a day of sick this century

over a year ago

I had real flu once. It put me on my arse for about two weeks.

Since then man flu is nothing but a minor inconvenience. Tell him to man the fuck up and crack on.

over a year ago

Apparently one side affect is you loose your sense of humour lol

By *alandNitaCouple
over a year ago

Scunthorpe

"

"

Me either, never had a day off sick EVER.... although I've also never had a bonus for going to work when I'm feeling a little under the weather.

I would live so see a statutory "Well Pay" where people get paid extra for not being off sick

Cal

over a year ago

"

Me either, never had a day off sick EVER.... although I've also never had a bonus for going to work when I'm feeling a little under the weather.

I would live so see a statutory "Well Pay" where people get paid extra for not being off sick

Cal"

So you don't get extra pay for going to work ill?

What do you get for doing that then?

Have never understood the way people drag themselves into work with heavy colds, spreading their bugs to friends, colleagues and customers. Knew a woman who died from pneumonia. It developed after she caught a cold. Wonder how and from whom she caught it? Wonder if that person had a lot of pride going to work or shopping or whatever when he/she had a heavy cold

If someone is ill, they should stay away from work situations - it's not just them that can be affected

over a year ago

"

Cal

Have never understood the way people drag themselves into work with heavy colds, spreading their bugs to friends, colleagues and customers. Knew a woman who died from pneumonia. It developed after she caught a cold. Wonder how and from whom she caught it? Wonder if that person had a lot of pride going to work or shopping or whatever when he/she had a heavy cold

If someone is ill, they should stay away from work situations - it's not just them that can be affected "

I don't get ill .

my kids don't get ill either

over a year ago

Man flu... man up more like get on with it its just a runny nose bet he wouldnt moan if his old boy was runny would he

By *alandNitaCouple
over a year ago

Scunthorpe

"

If someone is ill, they should stay away from work situations - it's not just them that can be affected "

Obviously everyone has to assess their own condition and the impact in others, I personally rarely get ill in any way, and if I do, do it at the weekend.

Far too many people take time off far too easily. It costs the economy £29bn a year (according to a BBC article recently).

over a year ago

"

Cal

If someone is ill, they should stay away from work situations - it's not just them that can be affected

I don't get ill .

my kids don't get ill either

"

Then you have no need to take time off sick and no need to brag about it. You are very lucky too. Hopefully you never find fault with people who do take time off sick when they are ill? Else you are part of a system that forces many workers to work when they are ill, especially if you say stuff like I've never had a day off ill this century!

I have a relative who is very ill with chronic COP. If I pass a simple cold to that person this winter, it may well kill her. If I see someone at work with a heavy cold I won't to be too pleased

over a year ago

"

Obviously everyone has to assess their own condition and the impact in others, I personally rarely get ill in any way, and if I do, do it at the weekend.

Far too many people take time off far too easily. It costs the economy £29bn a year (according to a BBC article recently)."

Wonder how they got that figure? Who is going to admit to phoning in sick when they could have gone to work?

And does that figure take into account the reduced output of sick workers when at work? And the reduced output of colleagues who have caught their bugs? Or the cost to the health service?

It might even be a false economy long-term

By *tandingtallMan
over a year ago

york

I genuinely think we get more ill than females, maybe you have stronger antibodies in you! Green tea, lemon slices and honey in the same cup quickly helps push it along!

By *alandNitaCouple
over a year ago

Scunthorpe

"

Wonder if that person had a lot of pride going to work or shopping or whatever when he/she had a heavy cold."

And jus for clarity, a cold is a virus. How "heavy" the symptoms appear have no bearing on how that particular strain of virus will impact another person.

Your cold virus will also be contagious for 2-3 days before you show any symptoms, and if your immune system is effective enough, you may never even realise you had a cold at all.

NHS direct advise people to attend work unless they don't feel well enough.

Cal

By *harpDressed ManMan
over a year ago

Here occasionally, but mostly somewhere else

By the time I go to work with a cold it's already incubated for a couple of days, in which I've unknowingly passed it on to people.

Nothing I could have done about it, your honour...

By *harpDressed ManMan
over a year ago

Here occasionally, but mostly somewhere else

Beaten to it by Cal

over a year ago

Ive had a fair few colds in my time as i work outdoors and it rains alot but ive never been that ill touch wood to have time off

over a year ago

For the love of Allah Jehovah Krishna and Buddha....

Somebody anybody please...

It's a fucking cold not influenza!

I could have an in growing toenail but it doesn't make it an amputation!

over a year ago

"

Wonder if that person had a lot of pride going to work or shopping or whatever when he/she had a heavy cold.

And jus for clarity, a cold is a virus. How "heavy" the symptoms appear have no bearing on how that particular strain of virus will impact another person.

Your cold virus will also be contagious for 2-3 days before you show any symptoms, and if your immune system is effective enough, you may never even realise you had a cold at all.

Cal"

Well NHS Direct is not likely to say don't go to work if you feel ok, is it?

I understand that a cold will be lurking before symptoms show but, once they have shown, how sensible is it to spread it?

If you had HIV, you wouldn't fuck people bareback on here, I'm sure. Why do people think it's acceptable to spread their bugs when they clearly have one? It just gets passed around everyone then.

As for talking of a heavy cold, that's simply the most indefensible - someone with a mild cold, I can, of course, see how they feel an obligation to work, but someone with a very heavy cold is being stupid and thoughtless. They are simply endangering the health of others. And they certainly shouldn't feel pride in working in such a state. They also perpetuate the system that forces people into work when they are not fit.... as does the phrase "man flu". As I said in my first post, perhaps women who go to work with "man flu" are just foolish?

over a year ago

Never had flu or a really bad cold,but i have had salmonlla poisoning and you dont want that!!!

over a year ago

"

Wonder if that person had a lot of pride going to work or shopping or whatever when he/she had a heavy cold.

Cal

I understand that a cold will be lurking before symptoms show but, once they have shown, how sensible is it to spread it?

If you had HIV, you wouldn't fuck people bareback on here, I'm sure. Why do people think it's acceptable to spread their bugs when they clearly have one? It just gets passed around everyone then.

As for talking of a heavy cold, that's simply the most indefensible - someone with a mild cold, I can, of course, see how they feel an obligation to work, but someone with a very heavy cold is being stupid and thoughtless. They are simply endangering the health of others. And they certainly shouldn't feel pride in working in such a state. They also perpetuate the system that forces people into work when they are not fit.... as does the phrase "man flu". As I said in my first post, perhaps women who go to work with "man flu" are just foolish?"

What if people cant afford the time off work and need to work even if they have a cold because lets be honest statuary sick pay isnt the best is it

over a year ago

"Never had flu or a really bad cold,but i have had salmonlla poisoning and you dont want that!!!"

Salmonella

over a year ago

Man flu is deadly!!!!!

By *ce WingerMan
over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

"What if people cant afford the time off work and need to work even if they have a cold because lets be honest statuary sick pay isnt the best is it "

Atishoooo

It depends on what job you do to be honest. It's not a matter of whether you feel up to the job or whether you think all is ok.

It's all about what your work colleagues think about you spreading your germs

over a year ago

"What if people cant afford the time off work and need to work even if they have a cold because lets be honest statuary sick pay isnt the best is it

Atishoooo

It depends on what job you do to be honest. It's not a matter of whether you feel up to the job or whether you think all is ok.

It's all about what your work colleagues think about you spreading your germs "

You could spread your germs on a day off going to the chemist or doctors

over a year ago

"

Cal

As for talking of a heavy cold, that's simply the most indefensible - someone with a mild cold, I can, of course, see how they feel an obligation to work, but someone with a very heavy cold is being stupid and thoughtless. They are simply endangering the health of others. And they certainly shouldn't feel pride in working in such a state. They also perpetuate the system that forces people into work when they are not fit.... as does the phrase "man flu". As I said in my first post, perhaps women who go to work with "man flu" are just foolish?

What if people cant afford the time off work and need to work even if they have a cold because lets be honest statuary sick pay isnt the best is it "

Indeed. Anne is in that precise situation

Of course I understand the need to work when ill - there are financial pressures and pressures from employers. I am not really blaming people who work when sick, just asking them to consider the full implications. If they get sick pay and work when ill, they are being foolish in the extreme, I'd suggest, and, let's be honest, many do

over a year ago

"What if people cant afford the time off work and need to work even if they have a cold because lets be honest statuary sick pay isnt the best is it

Atishoooo

You could spread your germs on a day off going to the chemist or doctors "

Which is why the proper thing to do with a cold is stay at home and ask a friend or relative to get some Lemsip or something similar from the chemists. There's no point or need to see your GP

over a year ago

Thing that gets me I used to work in a care home, we looked after really old people, we didn't get sick pay, yet when there was an outbreak of d and v a few times and the staff all went down with it, we were told to be off for 48 hours (in my opinion if you clearly caught it at work and told to stay off you should get some kind of payment) yet the managers all treated us like we should be in; despite us throwing up etc, some even did go back in and this just prolonged it all.

By *uietlykinkymeWoman
over a year ago

kinky land

Last time I got flu I couldn't stand up and lost over 2 weeks. I had to get help in. I've had operations and been poorly but always managed to stand up and see to the kids. In that 2 weeks I couldn't stand up at all. As soon as I could stand I staggered downstairs and didn't even realise weeks had past. I came round and had missed Christmas

Admitted im diabetic so it's possibly harder for my immune system but I've never been one to stop life because of a cold. Kids still need feeding.

By *ce WingerMan
over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

Atishoooo

You could spread your germs on a day off going to the chemist or doctors "

That's entirely what they want you to think, we are all susceptible to ordinary day crap innit

over a year ago

Man flu is real, taken from the Independent "Scientists from Harvard University have discovered that the female sex hormone oestrogen fortifies the immune system".

Telegraph " For years women have cried “man flu” when men make a fuss over a few sniffles.

But a new study suggests that men may actually suffer more when they are struck down with flu - because high levels of testosterone can weaken their immune response.

The study by Stanford University School of Medicine, examined the reactions of men and women to vaccination against flu.

It found women generally had a stronger antibody response to the jab than men, giving them better protection against the virus.

Men with lower testosterone levels also had a better immune response, more or less equivalent to that of women. ".

So if Harvard and Stanford so man flu is real, I ain't gonna argue with them.

By *otsMan
over a year ago

Higham

Well all I can say is it really messed me up because I've had pneumonia.

So any bad cold is serious.

As it happens I'm laid up now thanks to colleagues coughing and hacking this past month it's finally caught up with me fff's.

2 and a bit days holiday wasted!

By *otsMan
over a year ago

Higham

I'm with sexy slut!

Your I'll go home!

Otherwise people like me get I'll and put at risk.

I think it should be compulsory!

Post new Message to Thread