Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Mechanics

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Any mechanics about, I need a little advice...

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"Any mechanics about, I need a little advice..."

Shoot..

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

Yeah m8. Fire away.

over a year ago

Drop links, one has snapped, will be changing it on the weekend, not a difficult job I know but would I cause any damage driving it this week until I fix it?

over a year ago

"Drop links, one has snapped, will be changing it on the weekend, not a difficult job I know but would I cause any damage driving it this week until I fix it? "

Get underneath, rotate the smaller broken end away from the long end so they wont clash. (or which ever end is easiest).

over a year ago

Obviously be a little careful through the bends...

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

I'm wondering how it actually broke. Without seeing the break I can't assess it.

I know some get away with it but the safest answer is no

over a year ago

Already done, it looks like it's rotten, must've been on there years.

over a year ago

"I'm wondering how it actually broke. Without seeing the break I can't assess it.

I know some get away with it but the safest answer is no "

just looks like age of I'm honest, I've never seen them so thin

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

Be very careful on bends due to the loss of grip. It's going to roll more than usual. Get is seen to asap x

over a year ago

Will do thanks, doesn't exactly take long to fix just getting dark in the nights

over a year ago

"Will do thanks, doesn't exactly take long to fix just getting dark in the nights "

Annoying ain't it!

over a year ago

"I'm wondering how it actually broke. Without seeing the break I can't assess it.

just looks like age of I'm honest, I've never seen them so thin "

They fail fairly often.

Depending on the car you may be able to find a pair made by Meyle, they come with a 4yr warranty and are a considerable upgrade for no more than the cost of OEM parts.

By *rightonsteveMan
over a year ago

Brighton - even Hove!

"Drop links, one has snapped, will be changing it on the weekend, not a difficult job I know but would I cause any damage driving it this week until I fix it? "

What's a drop link?

over a year ago

"Will do thanks, doesn't exactly take long to fix just getting dark in the nights

Annoying ain't it!"

Very and I hate taking wheels off just seems a waste of time haha

over a year ago

They fail fairly often.

Depending on the car you may be able to find a pair made by Meyle, they come with a 4yr warranty and are a considerable upgrade for no more than the cost of OEM parts."

Thanks will check in my local motor factors

over a year ago

"Drop links, one has snapped, will be changing it on the weekend, not a difficult job I know but would I cause any damage driving it this week until I fix it?

What's a drop link? "

It's when the link falls out of your watch as your driving and gets stuck in the wheel

over a year ago

They fail fairly often.

Depending on the car you may be able to find a pair made by Meyle, they come with a 4yr warranty and are a considerable upgrade for no more than the cost of OEM parts.

Thanks will check in my local motor factors "

Try eBay. Most local motor factors won't have them as they're imported from Germany.

over a year ago

They fail fairly often.

Try eBay. Most local motor factors won't have them as they're imported from Germany."

Really need it by the weekend tho, hopefully it wouldn't get delayed in post

By *rightonsteveMan
over a year ago

Brighton - even Hove!

"Drop links, one has snapped, will be changing it on the weekend, not a difficult job I know but would I cause any damage driving it this week until I fix it?

What's a drop link?

It's when the link falls out of your watch as your driving and gets stuck in the wheel"

No need for sarcasm.

over a year ago

What's a drop link? "

It basically connects the hub to the anti-roll bar.

By *rightonsteveMan
over a year ago

Brighton - even Hove!

What's a drop link?

It basically connects the hub to the anti-roll bar."

Thanks but it's pointless me asking as I don't understand the answer

Roll on that 7 year warranty, eh?

over a year ago

They fail fairly often.

Try eBay. Most local motor factors won't have them as they're imported from Germany.

Really need it by the weekend tho, hopefully it wouldn't get delayed in post "

I have them on my Alfa and they arrived within two days.

over a year ago

What's a drop link?

It's when the link falls out of your watch as your driving and gets stuck in the wheel

No need for sarcasm. "

Sorry just having a joke, no offence meant. It basically stabilisers the wheel

over a year ago

You get a horrible knocking noise when it's broken, usually the rubbers go but this time it's snapped in half, poxy French car lol

By *rightonsteveMan
over a year ago

Brighton - even Hove!

What's a drop link?

No need for sarcasm.

Sorry just having a joke, no offence meant. It basically stabilisers the wheel"

No worries. I'm completely clueless when it comes to engines and stuff.

over a year ago

. Does it make a clunking sound when you go round corners?

over a year ago

What's a drop link?

It basically connects the hub to the anti-roll bar.

Thanks but it's pointless me asking as I don't understand the answer

Roll on that 7 year warranty, eh? "

I doubt they'll be covered. Besides they're quick and easy to change, an idiot could do them in half an hour.

over a year ago

What's a drop link?

No need for sarcasm.

Sorry just having a joke, no offence meant. It basically stabilisers the wheel

No worries. I'm completely clueless when it comes to engines and stuff. "

If you was shown you'd see it's easy, I can't really do engines, I can change the odd part and general servicing, they cost roughly £15 if I went to a garage it would probably be around a £100 for labour, wouldn't surprise me, I'm just a cheap person

over a year ago

"Drop links, one has snapped, will be changing it on the weekend, not a difficult job I know but would I cause any damage driving it this week until I fix it? . Does it make a clunking sound when you go round corners?"

Any bump it does because it's snapped

over a year ago

"You get a horrible knocking noise when it's broken, usually the rubbers go but this time it's snapped in half, poxy French car lol "

Rare for one to snap. As you say, it's usually the rubber that perishes and they start knocking.

over a year ago

"You get a horrible knocking noise when it's broken, usually the rubbers go but this time it's snapped in half, poxy French car lol

Rare for one to snap. As you say, it's usually the rubber that perishes and they start knocking."

Never really heard of them snapping, but my cars about 2 ton and there like chopsticks it's stupid

over a year ago

"You get a horrible knocking noise when it's broken, usually the rubbers go but this time it's snapped in half, poxy French car lol

Rare for one to snap. As you say, it's usually the rubber that perishes and they start knocking.

Never really heard of them snapping, but my cars about 2 ton and there like chopsticks it's stupid "

Renault by any chance?

over a year ago

Never really heard of them snapping, but my cars about 2 ton and there like chopsticks it's stupid

Renault by any chance?"

Yep

over a year ago

Renault by any chance?

Yep "

Megane-2 ?

over a year ago

Renault by any chance?

Yep

Megane-2 ?"

No, think bigger!!

over a year ago

Renault by any chance?

Yep

Megane-2 ?

No, think bigger!! "

Laguna?

over a year ago

Renault by any chance?

Yep

Megane-2 ?

No, think bigger!!

Laguna?"

Espace lol

over a year ago

My mrs snapped a rear one on her bimmer while towing my trooper....it wasn't the smoothest pull away...

over a year ago

Renault by any chance?

Yep

Megane-2 ?

No, think bigger!!

Laguna?

Espace lol "

That would have been my next guess.

It'll be a good idea to spray the bolts with WD40 or Plusgas tomorrow or at least 24hrs before you start, it'll help clear the crud that's inevitably built up all over them.

over a year ago

Gutted I had the wheels of the other day, could've done it all at once.

Can't I just jam a bit of bamboo in there, sure it'll do the same thing

over a year ago

"My mrs snapped a rear one on her bimmer while towing my trooper....it wasn't the smoothest pull away..."

Are the rears plastic on that one?

I know some are. I did one that I had to cut off, amazingly steel ones from the front fitted perfectly. Why they didn't fit them in the first place is beyond me.

over a year ago

"My mrs snapped a rear one on her bimmer while towing my trooper....it wasn't the smoothest pull away...

Are the rears plastic on that one?

I know some are. I did one that I had to cut off, amazingly steel ones from the front fitted perfectly. Why they didn't fit them in the first place is beyond me."

Looked like diecast alloy.

over a year ago

Another stupid question, the plastic on the lights has turned yellow, I can buy a kit for £23, is there a cheaper way, free hopefully?

over a year ago

"Another stupid question, the plastic on the lights has turned yellow, I can buy a kit for £23, is there a cheaper way, free hopefully? "

Nope. The cheapest way is 2000-grit wet and dry followed by 3000-grit then buff with a polishing compound and then re-lacquer.

The Meguiars kit from Halfrauds is by far the easier option though.

I own a detailing business and do them pretty regularly.

over a year ago

"Another stupid question, the plastic on the lights has turned yellow, I can buy a kit for £23, is there a cheaper way, free hopefully?

Nope. The cheapest way is 2000-grit wet and dry followed by 3000-grit then buff with a polishing compound and then re-lacquer.

The Meguiars kit from Halfrauds is by far the easier option though.

I own a detailing business and do them pretty regularly."

Cheap plastic is annoying!!

Post new Message to Thread