Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

The pending coffee

Jump to newest

By *ittle_brat_evie!! OP   Woman
over a year ago

evesham

Would you do this? Go into a coffee shop and buy 2 coffees...one for you and one pending.

The idea of the pending coffee is that it is given to someone who is homeless or poor and in need of a warm drink.

I think I would, I can afford to buy an extra cup of coffee now and then and to know that someone worse off than me has spent some time in a warm environment have a warming drink would be a good thing.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

over a year ago

evesham

#other hot beverages could be bought

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

little house on the praire

Yes of cause although there is no call for it here but id do it in the city

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Yeah, I would. But I would sooner buy extra food.

My friends and I in high school used to buy an extra meal sometimes to give to a homeless person when we left the restaurant. Sadly, there are plenty in NYC

-Courtney

By *edangel_2013Woman
over a year ago

southend

There is an independent coffee shop here that does it. They do food too. They let the homeless people drink end eat inside too which is more than most do.

By *edangel_2013Woman
over a year ago

southend

I buy 1 nearly every time I go in.

over a year ago

I know its quite common in the US to do this. I have never done it, but if I have seen people who look cold on the streets etc I have offered to buy them a hot drink, sometimes they have accepted and sometimes not. I think the pending drink is in someways better as it can save the embarrasement of people in a situation where they don't wish to think people are just taking pity on them (my opinion only)

By *irtyGirlWoman
over a year ago

Edinburgh

I do too. We have a place called Social Bite. It's what they do.

over a year ago

evesham

Just saw it on Facebook and thought it was a great idea.

I guess the issue (not the right word as it's a very good thing to do either way) with giving homeless people stuff is they might not want/like it. This way people could go and get a drink they liked when they wanted it.

over a year ago

Yes I would , not long ago was in York and we came oot of a bar a guy sat there asked for change .I told him no...then went to a pastry shop got him some food and a warm drink and a bottle of water .I got a huge smile and thank you from him. Id rather buy them food and a drink then give them money.

over a year ago

I don't use coffee shops but if I saw one running a scheme like that I would go in and do it. We don't have coffee shops local to me though and I never see homeless people.

By *irtyGirlWoman
over a year ago

Edinburgh

"I don't use coffee shops but if I saw one running a scheme like that I would go in and do it. We don't have coffee shops local to me though and I never see homeless people. "

You're lucky. It's pretty bad here. Sadly there are some people sleeping rough outside my work and it seems the alley beside our office is the loo. It bothers me hugely that people are reduced to defacating in the street because there's nowhere for them to go. Very sad indeed.

over a year ago

"I don't use coffee shops but if I saw one running a scheme like that I would go in and do it. We don't have coffee shops local to me though and I never see homeless people.

You're lucky. It's pretty bad here. Sadly there are some people sleeping rough outside my work and it seems the alley beside our office is the loo. It bothers me hugely that people are reduced to defacating in the street because there's nowhere for them to go. Very sad indeed. "

We have plenty of d*unks and drug users roaming the streets and parks but never seen anyone sleeping rough. I have in Romford which isn't far from me.

over a year ago

When I worked at a local bakery I used to give the leftover pies lakes n bread to any homeless ppl I past on my rounds thru the night, met a guy on here who runs a kitchen for the homeless too, thinking of helping out.

over a year ago

I've never done this, but I have bought coffees directly to people I see homeless. I don't patronise them by just buying off the cuff - but if they ask me for change I'll instead offer to buy them a drink and get them a bite to eat. Some accept, some refuse.

over a year ago

I saw a post on Facebook today about giving homeless women sanitary kits. I thought that was a really thoughtful idea and something that wouldn't have occurred to me before.

over a year ago

I would do this!

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

I give money and buy The Big Issue.

By *inky-MinxWoman
over a year ago

Grantham

I have done this, with Costa coffee.

over a year ago

"I saw a post on Facebook today about giving homeless women sanitary kits. I thought that was a really thoughtful idea and something that wouldn't have occurred to me before. "

I saw a show once where this couple in the US would spend all of their Christmas money on essential items (like deodorant, toothpaste, toilet paper, soap, etc.) and make kits that they would then hand out to homeless people on Christmas.

It was one of the most amazing things I've ever seen and I want to do it too.

-Courtney

over a year ago

I don't have an issue with people giving

I do have an issue with corporations not giving ... especially those that throw away rather than donating

By *om and JennieCouple
over a year ago

Chams or Socials

"I saw a post on Facebook today about giving homeless women sanitary kits. I thought that was a really thoughtful idea and something that wouldn't have occurred to me before. "

I always put sanitary products & toiletries in the food bank bins at Tesco - only own brand but a little money goes a long way.

over a year ago

What a fabulous idea. I have unfortunately had friends who have had to go to shelters for one reason or another, they are great places to donate this sort of thing too I imagine.

over a year ago

if we all did a little something it amounts to a lot of help - our local tesco have a donation box to give to the homeless - i try and remember to buy something when i shop that can go in the box on my way out

over a year ago

Also check out The Rucksack Project

over a year ago

"Also check out The Rucksack Project "

What is that and is it nationwide?

By *isscheekychopsWoman
over a year ago

The land of grey peas and bacon

I've volunteered to serve Christmas dinner to the homeless I love doing it...

By *imiUKMan
over a year ago

Hereford

"I don't have an issue with people giving

I do have an issue with corporations not giving ... especially those that throw away rather than donating"

I have a massive issue with the system that allows homelessness and a massive wealth gap to exist.

over a year ago

"Also check out The Rucksack Project

What is that and is it nationwide?"

You fill a rucksack with clothes, thermals and food and take it to a central point where you give it to a homeless person

Usually happens a week or two before Christmas

Not sure if its nationwide but its certainly in a lot of the key cities

over a year ago

"I don't have an issue with people giving

I do have an issue with corporations not giving ... especially those that throw away rather than donating

I have a massive issue with the system that allows homelessness and a massive wealth gap to exist. "

over a year ago

I work in a city 5 minutes walk from a lot of the homeless camping out on the edge of the centre. They've been banned from the centre yeah cause that's really supporting them. Homelessness has always been heart breaking to me. I would be so happy to do this

over a year ago

I worked for a year in a soup kitchen. Just a couple of nights a week. Some of the stories were heartbreaking. Glad I did it though. I'll watch out for the coffee pending too, but not sure it's operative round here

By *irtyGirlWoman
over a year ago

Edinburgh

It's also known as 'suspended coffee' and there are a lot of places that do it, just ask at the counter.

Post new Message to Thread