Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Flu--Timely Advice

Jump to newest

By *-and-K OP   Couple
over a year ago

Back of Beyond

This is the 1st time in 15 years that I have not had the flu injection, mainly because I am off work due to an operation some time ago.

However I had to call in yesterday to see my manager, and she told me that our intensive care unit has 4 20year olds in, all in coma's due to the flu!

If it can affect young healthy bodies like this, then us older folk really should take precautions.

Go get your flu jab now.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Get mine every yr ,

Got athsma!! ,

so allways get a letter to go , took quite a sever reaction this time tho ,

God my arm swelled up sooo much , , was soo painfull ,

Never had that before ,

ok Now , L

over a year ago

Had mine a few weeks ago - my son is really poorly though, he came down with it yesterday

over a year ago

oops wrong icon its definitely hate it when the kids are ill

over a year ago

Had mine a few weeks ago, however, it does not stop me from picking up a cold from peeps!

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman
over a year ago

evesham

"Had mine a few weeks ago, however, it does not stop me from picking up a cold from peeps! "

same here - had mine a few weeks ago but am currently feeling very under the weather

have also told my sister to go get it as she is pregnant

over a year ago

Ermmm

Had a rollocking off my surgery for not going for mine.

I need it because my immune system no good due to meds im taking.

Still havent gone...

well not in this weather...I may catch the flu !!!

By *mumaWoman
over a year ago

Livingston

get mine every year, and ended up back in hospital with pleurisy again!!!! but hey, at least I know the chest and lungs are still working....JUST!! xxx

over a year ago

Think the alcohol may stave off the worst.

Already got a head cold

sniff........coff.....dribble.

over a year ago

I have one every year due to heart problems and if I wasn't offered it I would pay to have it as it's only £5 in tesco pharmacys xx

over a year ago

Tut......

they couldnt delver me shopping so i know they wont deliver a prick in a box

over a year ago

last year, my GP surgery denied me the flu jab, even though i have about 3-4 bouts of bronchitis a year, apparently 6 doses was the minimum! so had it done at work.

since I've been diagnosed with asthma this year, I got a letter from my surgery this year inviting me! so yes, I have had it done.

over a year ago

"Tut......

they couldnt delver me shopping so i know they wont deliver a prick in a box "

I had the same with bloody sainsburys on Monday and I'm still waiting for my turkey

over a year ago

Last time i had flu jab about 3 yrs ago i was really ill with flu after it,not sure if it was a coincidence or a bad reaction to it,so now i dont know to risk having the injection and hope i dont get ill again or chance not having it and hoping i dont get it but nearly everyone i know i ill at the moment with flu

By *amschwingerzCouple
over a year ago

West

A few guys in work had the jab..and were all ill for three days...christ its only flu...just drink heaps of water, then in the evening, a vindaloo, hot bath, couple of Brandys...real honey and lemon before bed, couple of paracetamols..and a good wank!

Sorted!

over a year ago

The flu jab only contains protection from a cpl of the known virus,s

As there are loads of different strains, we can still get it.

over a year ago

"This is the 1st time in 15 years that I have not had the flu injection, mainly because I am off work due to an operation some time ago.

However I had to call in yesterday to see my manager, and she told me that our intensive care unit has 4 20year olds in, all in coma's due to the flu!

If it can affect young healthy bodies like this, then us older folk really should take precautions.

Go get your flu jab now."

hmmmmm, dunno bout that. young people are not always as healthy as us slightly more mature folks you know. I can dance the socks of most youngsters!

over a year ago

"Had mine a few weeks ago, however, it does not stop me from picking up a cold from peeps! "

I think thats the big misconception around the flu jab, that it will stop every cough, cold, sniffle etc, it wont, it will only prevent flu and the particular strain of flu that youve had the antiviral for, so all strains of flu.

My son actually has swine flu, hes so poorly, hes really weak too

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 24/12/10 01:06:23]

over a year ago

"Last time i had flu jab about 3 yrs ago i was really ill with flu after it,not sure if it was a coincidence or a bad reaction to it,so now i dont know to risk having the injection and hope i dont get ill again or chance not having it and hoping i dont get it but nearly everyone i know i ill at the moment with flu "

The flu vaccine is a dead vaccine so you cant catch flu from it. It may be your bodys reaction to the antibodies you develop or it may be that you developed a heavy cold, but not flu. Each year the vaccine changes, this year it incorporates a little of the swine flu vaccine too

over a year ago

so all strains of flu.

Meant to insert *not all strains of flu*

By *ones_BoothCouple
over a year ago

Solihull

our doctor advised us not to have it !!!

By *mumaWoman
over a year ago

Livingston

"Had mine a few weeks ago, however, it does not stop me from picking up a cold from peeps!

I think thats the big misconception around the flu jab, that it will stop every cough, cold, sniffle etc, it wont, it will only prevent flu and the particular strain of flu that youve had the antiviral for, so all strains of flu.

My son actually has swine flu, hes so poorly, hes really weak too "

Hope your lad gets better soon xxx

over a year ago

Thank you, I hope he does, its really not nice. Swine flu tends to attack the younger ones and he literally doesnt have the strength to hold his head up and as well as feeling very weak and aching all over, has pains in his stomach and is sick. I just hope the younger one doesnt come down with it. Real flu, rather than heavy coughs is awful isnt it, Ive only ever had it once

Post new Message to Thread