Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

To Drive or Not To Drive??

Jump to newest

By *ittle_brat_evie!! OP   Woman
over a year ago

evesham

been watching the news today and one of the transport people say that gritting alone will not clear the roads, they rely on people using the roads to churn the snow and grit up and this will clear the roads

however other transporty people are advising not to travel cos the roads are bad

so....who do we believe?? i personally thing the first guy makes a bit of sense.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"been watching the news today and one of the transport people say that gritting alone will not clear the roads, they rely on people using the roads to churn the snow and grit up and this will clear the roads

however other transporty people are advising not to travel cos the roads are bad

so....who do we believe?? i personally thing the first guy makes a bit of sense."

You shouldn't drive. Evesham was one of two towns on the news tonight. They said it was the coldest place with the dirtiest women. Okay I lied about the cold. Don't drive.

over a year ago

Grit is only really effective if it's put down on the tarmac before the snow arrives, even then they only grit the main thoroughfares in case they run out (like last year).

Whether you make your trip or not can only be decided by your gut instinct. Use the local weather maps on bbc.co.uk/weather to see what the forecast is like at various points en route and decide from there. A good rule of thumb is to listen to asvice from the AA - if they say don't drive unless it's essential, it's worth considering.

By *ittle_brat_evie!! OP   Woman
over a year ago

evesham

"been watching the news today and one of the transport people say that gritting alone will not clear the roads, they rely on people using the roads to churn the snow and grit up and this will clear the roads

so....who do we believe?? i personally thing the first guy makes a bit of sense.

You shouldn't drive. Evesham was one of two towns on the news tonight. They said it was the coldest place with the dirtiest women. Okay I lied about the cold. Don't drive. "

oooohhhh so thats what the cameras were here for

got to -20 here last night apparently

over a year ago

PERSONALLY i would not drive unless it was relly necessary ,and true GRIT is effective if used before snow arrives , but we carry on gritting using extra sand in the mix to try and stop it getting icy , but personally .STAY HOME ! thats my opinion , FRANKIE XX

By *ummy mummyWoman
over a year ago

southampton-ish

I would say as most people in this country do not have snow/all weather tires it can be quite dangerous...do not drive unless absolutely necessary.

over a year ago

Before the grit can be churned up, it helps if the authorities actually put some onto the roads.

Passed 2 gritters today, flashing lights, the whole 9 yards, but no grit comming out of them. Oh yes the thing at the back was spinning and all that, it looked very good but just a shame that nothing was comming out....

over a year ago

I was out driving today and had no problems in the area at all, alot of snow/frozen covered roads but if you know how to drive correctly in these conditions you'll have no problems.....and no I don't have a 4x4 to help get out of tricky situations

over a year ago

Having attended our first meet, and then writing our car off on the way home two weeks ago, I'd give it a miss!!!

over a year ago

yeah they need vehicles to churn the grit into the ice/snow to work it, but not worth driving on the black ice!

Also below -15c grit doesn't work as it is the freezing point for salt water!

In ski countries when the temperature does get above -15c the grit just bores little holes straight down!

over a year ago

"I was out driving today and had no problems in the area at all, alot of snow/frozen covered roads but if you know how to drive correctly in these conditions you'll have no problems.....and no I don't have a 4x4 to help get out of tricky situations"

Yes. All drive. No problems at all. The lorry that jacknifed on the motorway was being driven by a dinner lady.

over a year ago

I'd say it depends on how important the journey is, and how far it is.

I was due to go to Dunstable this morning, and after 2 miles of the M11 having my car fishtailing while gently accelerating from 40 in 4th gear....I turned back!

It got down to about -5 -6 or so here last night and the roads were just pure ice this morning. They did clear up a fair bit as the day wore on though so there is a bit of truth in what they 1st guy said.

over a year ago

"yeah they need vehicles to churn the grit into the ice/snow to work it, but not worth driving on the black ice!

In ski countries when the temperature does get above -15c the grit just bores little holes straight down!"

Get you clever clogs

over a year ago

"yeah they need vehicles to churn the grit into the ice/snow to work it, but not worth driving on the black ice!

In ski countries when the temperature does get above -15c the grit just bores little holes straight down!"

The temperature here is Frozen to Fuck Degrees OR Solid in Seconds .. what can I use to defrost my downpiple?

over a year ago

In ski countries when the temperature does get above -15c the grit just bores little holes straight down!

The temperature here is Frozen to Fuck Degrees OR Solid in Seconds .. what can I use to defrost my downpiple?"

Flamethrower. But a proper military one, not the type they use in films.

over a year ago

we did a 200 mile round trip yesterday with no problems, stick to the main roads, leave plenty of time and be careful

over a year ago

The temperature here is Frozen to Fuck Degrees OR Solid in Seconds .. what can I use to defrost my downpiple?

Flamethrower. But a proper military one, not the type they use in films."

Thanks Slarty! I'll nip down to the flamthrower shop. Shall I drive ??

over a year ago

"Thanks Slarty! I'll nip down to the flamthrower shop. Shall I drive ?? "

If you would please. We need stalwart's like you to help keep the roads clear. Thanks muchly.

over a year ago

Roads for someone i knew was ok today and they do a bit of travelling.

Says they ok as long as no dickhead speeding and playing the fool on the roads

over a year ago

"Before the grit can be churned up, it helps if the authorities actually put some onto the roads.

Passed 2 gritters today, flashing lights, the whole 9 yards, but no grit comming out of them. Oh yes the thing at the back was spinning and all that, it looked very good but just a shame that nothing was comming out.... "

MAY of been returning to get more salt ! blades still turn even when empty ,and we leave them on to stop them freezing up , i am on the M62 TONIGHT AT 10PM .till 5 AM . FRANKIE XX

over a year ago

Some nice lady should rush out and give frankie some hot choclate when he is passing

By *umpkinMan
over a year ago

near the sounds of the wimborne quarter jack!

"Before the grit can be churned up, it helps if the authorities actually put some onto the roads.

Passed 2 gritters today, flashing lights, the whole 9 yards, but no grit comming out of them. Oh yes the thing at the back was spinning and all that, it looked very good but just a shame that nothing was comming out.... MAY of been returning to get more salt ! blades still turn even when empty ,and we leave them on to stop them freezing up , i am on the M62 TONIGHT AT 10PM .till 5 AM . FRANKIE XX"

So you are one of these incredibly brave/stupid guys who have to drive in the middle lane gritting while getting passed on both sides! The guys in my yard have it easy with no motorways to grit!

over a year ago

"Thanks Slarty! I'll nip down to the flamthrower shop. Shall I drive ??

If you would please. We need stalwart's like you to help keep the roads clear. Thanks muchly."

Don't call me muchly.

over a year ago

"PERSONALLY i would not drive unless it was relly necessary ,and true GRIT is effective if used before snow arrives , but we carry on gritting using extra sand in the mix to try and stop it getting icy , but personally .STAY HOME ! thats my opinion , FRANKIE XX"

Aksherlly, True Grit is a John Wayne film.

over a year ago

"Thanks Slarty! I'll nip down to the flamthrower shop. Shall I drive ??

If you would please. We need stalwart's like you to help keep the roads clear. Thanks muchly.

Don't call me muchly."

Nearly as bad as surely

over a year ago

Passed 2 gritters today, flashing lights, the whole 9 yards, but no grit comming out of them. Oh yes the thing at the back was spinning and all that, it looked very good but just a shame that nothing was comming out.... MAY of been returning to get more salt ! blades still turn even when empty ,and we leave them on to stop them freezing up , i am on the M62 TONIGHT AT 10PM .till 5 AM . FRANKIE XX

So you are one of these incredibly brave/stupid guys who have to drive in the middle lane gritting while getting passed on both sides! The guys in my yard have it easy with no motorways to grit!"

YES !that is us ,stupid ,i base jump too ,its less dangerous , lol

over a year ago

"Some nice lady should rush out and give frankie some hot choclate when he is passing "
NOW THAT !would make my night , lol xx

over a year ago

Hey.....

she may be also nekid with a big faux fur coat on too

By *andKCouple
over a year ago

Norfolk

The question is when do I make a dash to the South Coast to pick our grand daughter up? Can't tell her she can't come because of the weather can I?

over a year ago

On ya marks.................

By *andKCouple
over a year ago

Norfolk

I think I need a few stopping off points on the way - shame you are inthe opposite direction

over a year ago

Tut.........

Kin typical

over a year ago

OFF TO WORK !!hoping to see a faux fur coat , possibly just a bloody fox , MY LUCK , LOL

over a year ago

"OFF TO WORK !!hoping to see a faux fur coat , possibly just a bloody fox , MY LUCK , LOL "

Ya never know....

sent out a warning to all women in st helens.

To come out and warm ya cock...les

over a year ago

we've got a 4x4 withy proper tyres on it and we stgil have the occasional slide, most of the time though its the cars that get in the way, drivers should be fined if they get stuck, cause an accident or block the road and they are not running winter tyres.

Compared to the overall cost of motoring a spare pair of steel wheels with winter tyres on wont break the bank and will last for years only being used for a month every year or so.

We have been abused in the past for running a 4x4 despite one of ours being a pickup truck and its pretty obvious form the tate of it usually that it gets used off road, soon as the snow comes though everyones happy to assume we'll help them out for nowt.

over a year ago

NO ! never even seen a fox ,never mind a lady in a faux fur coat , COLD ,HUNGRY AND HORNY ! FRANKIE XX

Post new Message to Thread