Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Frozen Downspout

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Just copied and pasted this advice from me from another thread... Must be THOUSANDS of flu's needing a warm up.

"Just had a shower which turned into a bath as the waste pipe is frozen "

Same here. Looked at it last night frozen solid.

Snow has thawed and then refrozen in the hopper. Huge ice brick.

Here's the advice I took from the net.

Buy some sidewalk salt NOT rock salt ( Not being American Im buying salt or Pavement salt at the very least )

Put the salt in your tights and put the tights over the ice. The salt will melt the ice slowly.

I plan to take my tights off first and stay indoors while they are wrapped around the pipe. Clever me.

I have just dug out my wallpaper stripper and im going to use that too.

Bastard sun came out yesterday but obs wasn't hot enough to melt all the ice in me pipe......... pffffft

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

over a year ago

I had to empty my bath this mornin' with the bucket out of the bin....... Worra life this is in the snow

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Or just call a plumber like me

Although ya might get more than ya pipes thawed out lol xx

over a year ago

And what would you do young man ?

Put your salty tights over the hopper ?

over a year ago

Oooh young man now is it lol

Ya made me day xx

over a year ago

Well you are easily pleased. NEXT !

By *-and-KCouple
over a year ago

Back of Beyond

For the last week I have had to go out and pour a kettle of boiling water on to my cold water pipe for the house.

For some reason known only to the last owner, the cold water main rises out of the wall, has a garden tap attached and then loops back into the wall to supply the house.

Many years ago it froze up so I built a box around it and filled it with that spray foam you can get, it sets solid and insulates.

Its been that cold this last week its even frozen throught the insulation. So I had to cut it all off and resort to using a kettle of water again. Roll on the spring and I'll get under the kitchen floor and chop it out altogether!

over a year ago

Right ! I'm a hankerin to get spankerin me downspout .... wish me luck xxxx

over a year ago

"Right ! I'm a hankerin to get spankerin me downspout .... wish me luck xxxx "

Ive been spankin me downspout fa years and its still frozen xx

over a year ago

I lost...... the drainpipe is one solid iceicle. Took my steamer out and made a lovely cloud ...... pretty.....

Frozen feet. Whinging. Dressed like a yeti .... sipping tea....

Waiting for the big thaw.....

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

"I lost...... the drainpipe is one solid iceicle. Took my steamer out and made a lovely cloud ...... pretty.....

Frozen feet. Whinging. Dressed like a yeti .... sipping tea....

Waiting for the big thaw..... "

Squat over the drain plug and have a pee....better than any de icer.

over a year ago

I poured anti freeze in it before. It's still there like a minature blue ocean at the bottom of the bath.

Suns up again tho ...... but temperatures are set to stay at -11. Me fuggin glove froze to the step ladders before.

I don't give a monkeys. If I want a bath I'll have one n bail out with the bucket.... hardly a bad life now is it

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

Just make sure you get all the anti freeze out first or your bits will never be the same again....

over a year ago

"Just make sure you get all the anti freeze out first or your bits will never be the same again.... "

I soaked it up with a towel Jane. Now im deciding whether to have a bath or not. I have to bail it out with a bucket n shove it down the loo...... sigh ....

By *unky monkeyMan
over a year ago

in the night garden

Our gutters were frozen full of water. I climbed up by ladder to try and unblock them, I yanked the gutter down by accident and a 6 ft long spear of ice flew out of the gutter and straight into next doors window!

It smashed their hifi and then melted away before they got in so they didn't know what had happened hehehehe.

By *unky monkeyMan
over a year ago

in the night garden

"Our gutters were frozen full of water. I climbed up by ladder to try and unblock them, I yanked the gutter down by accident and a 6 ft long spear of ice flew out of the gutter and straight into next doors window!

It smashed their hifi and then melted away before they got in so they didn't know what had happened hehehehe."

Ah hold on a sec people, that was a scene from National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation. I was just pissed and fell asleep in front of the tv (not Soxy) yesterday and imagined it was me not Chevy Chase.

Sorry!

over a year ago

Mine's frozen as well, got the ladder out and poured kettle of boiling water into box to thaw it, so the bath water would go down...there must an easier solution surely..

over a year ago

"Mine's frozen as well, got the ladder out and poured kettle of boiling water into box to thaw it, so the bath water would go down...there must an easier solution surely.. "

I can't even do that. I've never seen a frozen pipe like it.

Im not even using the salty tights. Im waiting for above zero temps.

I can alway go swimming n have a shower there...... Im just too clever for me own good......

over a year ago

I've never had a frozen pipe before either, haven't ever seen the downpipe like it, all icicles hanging off it, someone said today that it was -12 last night and it's going to be -15 tonight...wouldn't fancy being at the top of the tower in this..

over a year ago

"I've never had a frozen pipe before either, haven't ever seen the downpipe like it, all icicles hanging off it, someone said today that it was -12 last night and it's going to be -15 tonight...wouldn't fancy being at the top of the tower in this.."

What tower ?

My car looks like Jordans wedding coach ......it's all glittery

over a year ago

The Blackpool Tower, theres people that work at the top, must be chilly up there..

My car is the same, snow all stuck to it, in this weather i take the battery out until i need to use it, it's amzing how much the cold can sap the power in it.

Post new Message to Thread