Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Book Club

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Couple of us keep hijacking other threads with our book recommendations - so I thought I'd start a thread where we bookworms can swap authors and titles without taking thread off topic!!

Anyone else looking forward to getting a stack of books for Christmas day?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"Couple of us keep hijacking other threads with our book recommendations - so I thought I'd start a thread where we bookworms can swap authors and titles without taking thread off topic!!

Anyone else looking forward to getting a stack of books for Christmas day? "

I have been given a book as a pressy "the road"

Cant remember who by but apparantly its a good un.

I also love maeve binchy and i love really really graphic horrors....But cant watch horror films.

over a year ago

Me, me, me lol any great reads much appreciated.

over a year ago

Yes I would like the new Richard Montanari novel, the Violet Hour. As mentioned previously, I will start The Other Boleyn Girl by Philippa Gregory and hopefully I will like this book as I understand there are various other novels of the same genre to get through.

I am a bookworm and usually read a book a week. Its been a bit slow at the moment because I have a corneal ulcer so have some vision problems at the moment which means I cant read for very long - always love finding new authors though.

over a year ago

Same here. I love Phillipa Gregory's historical stuff. If you like her, try CJ Sansom - set in the Tudor period and follows a lawyer through various murder cases. Ace!

over a year ago

I like a really gruesome serial killer crime novel - but I cant read these kind of books in summer. I dont mind chick lit at times,when I want something a bit lighter. I also like to be transported to the world of rich husbands, apartments in New York, designer clothes, those kind of novels, total escapism. When im sensible I like biographies

over a year ago

The film of "The Road" is very good if some what bleak.

My recommendations would be SciFi:Peter F Hamilton or Neal Asher. Orson Scott Card - Enders Game, very good!

Fiction:Nelson Demille - John Corrie series, K J Parker - The whole memory, engineer and related set.

There are a shit load more too, I have several hundred books at the mo!

over a year ago

"I like a really gruesome serial killer crime novel - but I cant read these kind of books in summer. I dont mind chick lit at times,when I want something a bit lighter. I also like to be transported to the world of rich husbands, apartments in New York, designer clothes, those kind of novels, total escapism. When im sensible I like biographies "

Karin Slaughter!!

over a year ago

"Yes I would like the new Richard Montanari novel, the Violet Hour. As mentioned previously, I will start The Other Boleyn Girl by Philippa Gregory and hopefully I will like this book as I understand there are various other novels of the same genre to get through.

I am a bookworm and usually read a book a week. Its been a bit slow at the moment because I have a corneal ulcer so have some vision problems at the moment which means I cant read for very long - always love finding new authors though.

"

Have you thought about audio books I get them for my nan as she loves books/stories but cant focus on the words any more.

By *irtyGirlWoman
over a year ago

Edinburgh

I just bought myself the new Karin Slaughter one... and another one but I wrapped it up and put it under the tree and I can't remember who its by.

If you like crime fiction and want a good read then the Karen Rose books are amazing. She's twisted! You kind of need to read them in order although there's a trilogy (Die for me, Scream for me, Kill for me) that doesn't relate to the others. She has a website that tells you the order.

The Stieg Larsson books are also really great. Read the books before you see the films.

over a year ago

Phillip pullman is very although you find them in young adult section great for escapism

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 20/12/10 00:02:38]

By *mumaWoman
over a year ago

Livingston

"I just bought myself the new Karin Slaughter one... and another one but I wrapped it up and put it under the tree and I can't remember who its by.

If you like crime fiction and want a good read then the Karen Rose books are amazing. She's twisted! You kind of need to read them in order although there's a trilogy (Die for me, Scream for me, Kill for me) that doesn't relate to the others. She has a website that tells you the order.

The Stieg Larsson books are also really great. Read the books before you see the films. "

oooh Dirty, a girl after me own heart.. got all books by Rose and Slaughter.

I go through books like i do men - a new one every couple of days

over a year ago

I'm off to Amazon to hunt out the Karen Rose books!

ElLongo, I'm the same - still got books at my mother's as well because I ran out of room.

over a year ago

tim vine biggest ever joke book.

that always picks me up.

also i recommend.

On Killing: The Psychological Cost of Learning to Kill in War and Society by Dave Grossman

trust me.its an interesting insight.

By *irtyGirlWoman
over a year ago

Edinburgh

"oooh Dirty, a girl after me own heart.. got all books by Rose and Slaughter.

I go through books like i do men - a new one every couple of days "

Yup... the Karen Rose ones I couldn't put down. Read the trilogy when I was in Cyprus last year... done in four days.

Lisa Gardner is another one... need to read them in order too but they're good as well. I love crime books. I'd really like to get into the Tess Gerritson books but I need to print out the order and read them from the beginning. I'm a bit anal about that.

By *mumaWoman
over a year ago

Livingston

dirty, got them all, have over 1000 books, and all chronologically ordered by author (No I don't have OCD lol) . also love jonathan kellerman, John grisham and James patterson

By *irtyGirlWoman
over a year ago

Edinburgh

"dirty, got them all, have over 1000 books, and all chronologically ordered by author (No I don't have OCD lol) . also love jonathan kellerman, John grisham and James patterson"

James Patterson rocks! Have you read the Quentin Jardine books? Also quite good.

So when's the book club party round yours then?

By *mumaWoman
over a year ago

Livingston

you are only along the road, so any time xxx

over a year ago

I asked for Michael McIntyre's book. Will have to wait to see what Santa brings in 6 days time.

By *irtyGirlWoman
over a year ago

Edinburgh

"you are only along the road, so any time xxx"

Excellent! Shall we wait till the snow clears?!

By *harpDressed ManMan
over a year ago

Here occasionally, but mostly somewhere else

I tend to be "boom and bust" with books - I read 5 in a week on holiday, then none for months.

I currently have a Pratchett and a Jasper Fforde waiting to be started, both will be excellent. Fforde is extremely creative and it's very literary material...in its own way!

For crime, I'd recommend Ed McBain - he died a couple of years ago, but has a huge catalogue of books set in the same city.

By *mumaWoman
over a year ago

Livingston

yes m'dear, I shall look forward to it - might even splurge and buy some jaffa cakes xx

By *irtyGirlWoman
over a year ago

Edinburgh

"yes m'dear, I shall look forward to it - might even splurge and buy some jaffa cakes xx"

Whoop whoop! Sounds like a plan!

By *ocketManUKMan
over a year ago

Cradley Heath

A friend urged me to read 'Host' by Stepanie Meyer. I was put off by her Twilight stories (ugh) but loved this book, best read in ages. Othe than that, any Pratchett or biographies please.

By *irtyGirlWoman
over a year ago

Edinburgh

Oh I read another one fairly recently... called Sister by Rosamund Lupton... was really good. Moved me quite a lot.

By *emima_puddlefuckCouple
over a year ago

hexham

The other Bolyen Girl is excellent.I love historical fiction.

The best written erotica ever is by Maxim Jakubowski,

http://www.thedonotpress.com/titles/kissmesadly.html

The book i have asked for is I shall wear Midnight.Though i doubt there will be enough Granny Weatherwax to please me.

By *thwalescplCouple
over a year ago

brecon

Pratchet, always worth a read, very inventive.

Dean Koontz... thriller/horror, really well written.

Tom Holt and Tom Sharpe for comedy.

And Chris Ryan or Andy McNabb for shooting people and blowing things up lol!

over a year ago

Oooh books i remembers them

They like the paper Internet ain't they xx

By *osiephillCouple
over a year ago

The High Peak

We've both got the Kindle e-reader and you can change the font size if you have trouble reading.

Recently I've been reading The Pillars of the Earth, Hilary Mantel's A Place of Greater Safety, Bill Bryson's At Home, Grisham and You Never Give Me Your Money about The Beatles finances.

So many great books, so little time!

over a year ago

I will give Karen Rose a try after the Philippa Gregory novel. For me crime has to be gruesome but fairly realistic. Old ladies solving crime doesnt do it for me, Ithate Miss Marple. I prefer British crime too. One of my fave books was the Jigsaw Man by Paul Britton, a forensic psychologist who did the offender profiling on big cases such as James Bulger, Fred and Rose West, Rachel Nickell tho a lot of controversy over that case and they havnt long discovered the real killer after pinnning it on another guy, but its a great read. What I especially love is that a crime featured was a case which the police force i was working for at the time and i knew the officers involved and i remember them inviting Mr Britton to our rather dingy police station

over a year ago

The Butcher, the Baker, the Candlestick Maker for tongue in cheek exploits of one very horny lady.

The Tuesday Erotica Club by Lisa Beth Kovitz. Quite amusing Sex in the city type stuff.

Reading my first Stephen King novel, Duma Key. Pretty good.

And of course, anything by the inspiration behind my profile name.

over a year ago

I`ve just been taking a look at the books you guys have mentioned, now I`m really worried. A vast majority are about physcopaths, serial killers or horror stories....... Now I`m convinced your a scary lot out there.

By *oxy_minxWoman
over a year ago

Scotland - Aberdeen

I am a complete crime thriller buff!! Michael Connelly, Lee Childs, Karin Slaughter, Karen Rose, Kathy Reiches, Tess Gerritson, Harlen Corben, Dean Koonz, have a good ££££ worth for free uplift if anyone wants them.....Merry Xmas (Serious Offer) xxxxx

By *o Peep n WoodyCouple
over a year ago

suffolk

We are reading The Death and Life of Charlie St. Cloud at the mo by Ben Sherwood.

Really enjoying it

over a year ago

Love Harlan Coben, very easy to get into and fast and exciting, I like that.

Post new Message to Thread