Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

text talk

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Ok am I just getting old or does anyone else not like it when you get messages full of text talk I'm not the best at english or spelling but always try to write full words.....ok ok so it is me and I'm getting old xxx

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Think most share your sentiments. First thing you find out about someone is what they write.

over a year ago

On a mobile, hmm ok but predictive text helps with that.

In an email no way, especially with spell checker plugins.

Apparently many people hate it too on dating sites:

http://blog.okcupid.com/index.php/online-dating-advice-exactly-what-to-say-in-a-first-message/

By *oe_Steve_NWestCouple
over a year ago

Bolton

We don't like text speak either, tend to just delete, spelling mistakes aren't a problem though if a message is unintelligable we wouldn't be inclined to reply. Z

over a year ago

"Ok am I just getting old or does anyone else not like it when you get messages full of text talk I'm not the best at english or spelling but always try to write full words.....ok ok so it is me and I'm getting old xxx"

Fx i off m8. Or is bbz??

I can hear my old English teacher shouting "Pronounce. Enunciation boy. Enunciation".

over a year ago

arghhhh to text speak!!

shows a lack of consideration to the recipient and is just pure lazy!

not on my nelly am i reading let alone contemplating meeting anyone that deems it acceptable

over a year ago

So I am normal then thank god for that ,thank you everyone

over a year ago

i always send a text in full english.

even i dont understand some of the stuff in texts so i reply to them asking what they said.

i prefer to speak clearly.no mistakes or misunderstood words and meanings.

over a year ago

i'm the same it drives my kids mad as I do 2 or 3 texts to thier one and always asking what they are on about.

over a year ago

I get quite a lot of text messages from my teenage son. His are one liners containing, when translated, a paragraph/chapter of information. Mine are paragraphs/chapters lol. I did at one time think of saving them and publishing a book along the lines of 'A Modern Conversation - The Generation Gap' or something like that lol

over a year ago

"i'm the same it drives my kids mad as I do 2 or 3 texts to thier one and always asking what they are on about."

just send a 'in english please' text back.

nd if they know you they should realize that your not going to understand it in the first place.

over a year ago

most folk I know use plain text. even my kids do when they text me.

By *inktherapyCouple
over a year ago

Gloucester

i use sm txt spk in chat or msn

but I much prefer to see good grammar & correct spelling

over a year ago

I hate it, I now send messages back saying that I have already donated to charities that cater for people with learning disabilities

over a year ago

"So I am normal then thank god for that ,thank you everyone "

...ohhhh, i'm not certifying that statement!

over a year ago

I hate it, I now send messages back saying that I have already donated to charities that cater for people with learning disabilities

love it

By *ardybumsCouple
over a year ago

peekin under duvet is it safe?

h8 it a lot

By *evonTallGuyMan
over a year ago

Newton Abbot

It's one of my pet hates too. I started chatting to a couple on MSN and their opening line was "asl plz". I politely said I didn't understand, but all I got back was "asl".

Turning to google I discovered it was text speak for Age, Sex, Location. Given that we exchanged messages through fab first, I assumed they would have read my profile and established those basic facts.

Needless to say after a few more incomprehensible abbreviations, I decided they weren't the people for me, and asked them to move on.

over a year ago

"It's one of my pet hates too. I started chatting to a couple on MSN and their opening line was "asl plz". I politely said I didn't understand, but all I got back was "asl".

Turning to google I discovered it was text speak for Age, Sex, Location. Given that we exchanged messages through fab first, I assumed they would have read my profile and established those basic facts.

Needless to say after a few more incomprehensible abbreviations, I decided they weren't the people for me, and asked them to move on."

Hehehe. True story. Years ago, when naughty chatrooms were beginning to take-off, my lovely wife and I decided to give it a whirl. Logged in, said hello [Hi Room!!!] to everyone and tried to join in. We kept being asked 'ASL'. We didn't have a clue what it meant. After about ten minutes the penny dropped. It was obviously shorthand for 'arsehole'. We were outraged. Fired off volleys of abuse to all and sundry, reported all hands to the moderators, told them it was a crap chatroom, they were all w***ers and they could all shove it.

Got booted out of chat and banned from the site. Imagine our faces some time later when we found out it meant Age, Sex, Location??? Oh how we larfed

Post new Message to Thread