FabSwingers.com mobile

Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Anyone get frost in the inside of their windscreen?.

Jump to newest

By *UNCHBOX OP   Man
over a year ago

folkestone

Everytime there is a frost, my car seems to have frost inside the windscreen as well as outside. Does this happen to anyone else?. Im wondering that a possible cause of this is that when i had my windscreen replaced(cracked windscreen and failed MOT), the company that did it didnt seal it properly?. Would this be a possible cause for frost inside?. Any help would be appreciated.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *harpDressed ManMan
over a year ago

Here occasionally, but mostly somewhere else

Happened a couple of times recently.

No idea why.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Theres water inside your car, could be from snow walked in on your feet, a door not closed properly etc.

My car has a leaky seal on the door and it leaves a lovely pool of water in my passenger footwell in heavy rain!

over a year ago

If the car gets condensation on the inside then it will freeze when temperatures drop.

If windows are badly sealed there is no reason why frost shouldn't form when conditions are right.

over a year ago

More than likely you have a water leak somewhere inside the car.

I have one at the passenger footwell and its always the same on a freezing morning, i have to scrape the inside as well as the outside lol.

Thankfully i also have a company vehicle so my own car is only used occasionally and i don't bother getting it seen to if any minor problems arise.

over a year ago

with my old car, after i'd had a door eplaced, it would always freeze up inside. I think that once there's a structural breach of some sort, they're just never the same again.

My new car does it occasionally too however as others have said, I think that's just down to moisture inside the vehicle when it's locked up for the night.

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman
over a year ago

evesham

i get this all the time but its because i have a Seat leon and apparently the designer failed to put drainage holes in the door seals or something so that when it rains i get swimming pools in my foot wells

therefore i awlays have water in my car and so condensation/frost forms

i really should take it to a body shop for them to put drainage holes in lol

By *UNCHBOX OP   Man
over a year ago

folkestone

I wondering if it wasn't sealed properly when i had a new windscreen fitted as i dont tend to have it on the back windows or the 4 side ones - just the inside of the windscreen. And it has happened everytime there is any sort of frost.

over a year ago

The humidity in your car must be high, resulting in condensation which then goes on to freeze.

Could be many reasons for it - short journeys resulting in the car interior not getting warmed through, if you have dogs - do they get in the car when they are damp ?

Even the condensation from passengers breath will increase the relative humidity of the car resulting in condensation that will eventually freeze

over a year ago

"i get this all the time but its because i have a Seat leon and apparently the designer failed to put drainage holes in the door seals or something so that when it rains i get swimming pools in my foot wells

therefore i awlays have water in my car and so condensation/frost forms

i really should take it to a body shop for them to put drainage holes in lol"

See my post above.

I also have a Seat Leon and have the same problem.

over a year ago

No frost on the inside but screenwash froze when I tried to clean windscreen whilst driving

over a year ago

"I wondering if it wasn't sealed properly when i had a new windscreen fitted as i dont tend to have it on the back windows or the 4 side ones - just the inside of the windscreen. And it has happened everytime there is any sort of frost. "

But below the windscreen are the demister vents, through which cold air pours in even when the car is not moving, hence the ice on the windscreen and nowhere else

By *umpkinMan
over a year ago

near the sounds of the wimborne quarter jack!

Could well be the windscreen leaking slightly.

If you have air conditioning, leave it switched on at the lowest setting. I do this all of the time with my tractor at work and I`m always getting in with wet boots and coats and never have any problems.

over a year ago

We get it on ours sometimes, we narrowed it down to the rubber foot mats, it only happens when they're wet.

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman
over a year ago

evesham

"No frost on the inside but screenwash froze when I tried to clean windscreen whilst driving"

yeah i did that - ended up crashing (at very low speed and with virtually no damage done) into a cars open door and had to pay £115 and do a driving awareness course.

still much less of a price than i or someone else could have been paying so consider myself very lucky

By *-and-KCouple
over a year ago

Back of Beyond

I get it every day, my car is a convertible so is cold inside when its stood. The problem is the air inside the car becomes warm and moisture laden when you are using it, You exhale warm air all the time!

Once the car stands and begins to cool, the warm air condenses on the cold surfaces, the screen mainly, but side windowns are affected as well. With it being so wet and carrying snow into the cabin just excacerbates the problem

By *orestersCouple
over a year ago

The Forest

[Removed by poster at 18/12/10 20:45:31]

By *orestersCouple
over a year ago

The Forest

"Could well be the windscreen leaking slightly.

If you have air conditioning, leave it switched on at the lowest setting. I do this all of the time with my tractor at work and I`m always getting in with wet boots and coats and never have any problems."

You've got A/C in a tractor?! Wow, that must be a posh bit of kit! To the OP, you can put some of those silica gel sachets in your car, that'll help. You get them with a lot of packaging and your local shoe shop will have loads for free!

By *umpkinMan
over a year ago

If you have air conditioning, leave it switched on at the lowest setting. I do this all of the time with my tractor at work and I`m always getting in with wet boots and coats and never have any problems.

You've got A/C in a tractor?! Wow, that must be a posh bit of kit! To the OP, you can put some of those silica gel sachets in your car, that'll help. You get them with a lot of packaging and your local shoe shop will have loads for free!"

It`s a John Deere 6220SE which is a stripped down version of the regular models. It`s five years old and air con is an extra on the SEs but the dealers tend to ask if buyers want it DELETED! If you`ve ever been in a non-air con tractor all day, you`ll know why they do it that way because tractor cabs are like bloody greenhouses with all of the glass!

The regular models have climate control!

By *lack_BoltMan
over a year ago

oxford

You've got A/C in a tractor?! Wow, that must be a posh bit of kit! To the OP, you can put some of those silica gel sachets in your car, that'll help. You get them with a lot of packaging and your local shoe shop will have loads for free!

It`s a John Deere 6220SE which is a stripped down version of the regular models. It`s five years old and air con is an extra on the SEs but the dealers tend to ask if buyers want it DELETED! If you`ve ever been in a non-air con tractor all day, you`ll know why they do it that way because tractor cabs are like bloody greenhouses with all of the glass!

The regular models have climate control!"

Climate control? Could you switch it on and make it all nice and sunny again?

By *incolnjamesMan
over a year ago

Linoln

I'm no mechanic but this happened to me in the last cold snap and hasn't happened since a friend sorted something.

Basically it was the cars first trip out after being snowed in for four or five days. I knew I was driving in the morning so made sure car was dug out and started the previous evening (I never stepped in the car so no snow got in).

In the morning got as far as Newark before had to call the AA due to funny noises etc from engine (Those %^^&&*+ are another story).

They never came but a friend did and just filled the radiator back up ...... he reckoned when I had started the car the previous night it may have caused a pipe from the radiator to leak (hot/cold expansion type thing).

Not sure if my experience is related to yours but it do to check your rad anyway .....OMG my longest ever post and it's about something I know nothing about lol

over a year ago

one thing id remind people is that if you got a tiny crack in the windscreen when you apply the heat to clear it the crack can spread rapidly.

get the crack sorted before your paying hundreds for a new screen.

By *irtyGirlWoman
over a year ago

Edinburgh

This happens to me too... always has regardless of what car I have... I just put it down to living in Scotland.

over a year ago

"Everytime there is a frost, my car seems to have frost inside the windscreen as well as outside. Does this happen to anyone else?. Im wondering that a possible cause of this is that when i had my windscreen replaced(cracked windscreen and failed MOT), the company that did it didnt seal it properly?. Would this be a possible cause for frost inside?. Any help would be appreciated. "

It could be but it is more likely condensation freezing on the inside as its very cold right now.

over a year ago

i get it coz i have a seal that needs replacing. trouble is to replace the seal is a big job for such a tiny seal. battery has to come out etc and also glove box. so stick to de icing inside of car n outside

By *umpkinMan
over a year ago

Forgot to add ....

I see no posts from fellow Land Rover Owners! Those who`ve owned Defenders with no headling in the cab will know the feeling of having icicles dropping down the back of your neck when the vibration knocks them off or the thick blobs of ice that form on those bloody leaking sun roofs on Discoveries!

over a year ago

i've a brand new cars and i get a little frost if u have ventilation coming in ur gonna get it if its really cold.

over a year ago

The regular models have climate control!

Climate control? Could you switch it on and make it all nice and sunny again?

"

When your sat in a tractor all day you need some nice features. I have climate control, fridge, air seat, cd player and an average new tractor costs 3 times a new family car!!!

over a year ago

Its that cold at times at the minute that the air freezes inside the car as well as outside

And in turn freezes the inside a ya window screen (there is always water from the air and ya breath in the car) xx

By *b430Man
over a year ago

Tayside

It's simple really - You go out in your car in cold weather and have the heater on, you are breathing out hot air (some more than others! lol) in the car so when you park up the car the hot air hits a freezing cold windscreen and causes condensation (that's why you can buy demisting pads for the windscreen) and with the temperatures falling so low just now the condensation freezes on the inside of the glass!

Forum Mod

over a year ago

My last car used to do that,I assumed it was because it was a pile of crap

Post new Message to Thread