Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

RIP OFF & CAR & NOT HAPPY

Jump to newest

By *y_funcouple OP   Couple
over a year ago

SHEFFIELD

Our car, has got a "ENGINE SYSTEM FAULT" come up on dash telling us something wrong!

Phoned main dealer, to do diagostics test £40.00 and take 2 hours! Went to a local garage, they did diagonstics test 10 mins and free! They told us exactly what wrong but hey ho they couldn;t do anything, because it needs an "fuel additive" but the main dealer won;t share the information to the small garages, of where and how to apply th fuel additive (doens't go in the fuel tank) so we got to take it miles away to a main dealer, so they can rip us off! Could have had it done now! If they werent so greedy!

Feel sorry for the small garages just trying to make a living.

wanted a whinge and had one! thank you !

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *etillanteWoman
over a year ago

I've just taken out an extended warranty on my car, I had the choice of using a main dealer or my local garage, which worked out cheaper, I have used them for 20 years. Was told the maximum my garage could charge was £60 per hour, he was over the moon lol

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

If you can get the actual fault code information and the year/model of your car i can probably find out what you need to know, i have a lot of friends in the motor trade who often have access to dealer info they are not supposed to. :D

over a year ago

"Our car, has got a "ENGINE SYSTEM FAULT" come up on dash telling us something wrong!

Phoned main dealer, to do diagostics test £40.00 and take 2 hours! Went to a local garage, they did diagonstics test 10 mins and free! They told us exactly what wrong but hey ho they couldn;t do anything, because it needs an "fuel additive" but the main dealer won;t share the information to the small garages, of where and how to apply th fuel additive (doens't go in the fuel tank) so we got to take it miles away to a main dealer, so they can rip us off! Could have had it done now! If they werent so greedy!

wanted a whinge and had one! thank you ! "

try forums for the make and model of your car and you will usually find the answer to your problems.

over a year ago

"Our car, has got a "ENGINE SYSTEM FAULT" come up on dash telling us something wrong!

wanted a whinge and had one! thank you ! "

Is it a Peugeot by any chance if you have been running it round town and popping to the shops then it may be the DPF filter that needs a clean out? a good run on the motorway 20 or 30 miles? at 70mph may do it? as this high speed and hot temps make the car regenerate the DPF filter.

By *umourCouple
over a year ago

Northants

Not in the motor trade, but I do have a list of all codes from the engine management systems for cars since 1996. They are readily available to everyone and most manufacturers use the same codes if it is post 1996 (OBDII). Or ask me for the good site with them all on if you know the codes!

If you have the code, just mail me and I can look it up, but may take a few days as I am away a lot! Warning lights, like the EML (Engine Management Light) cover a multitude of things and contrary to the warning to "Stop Immediately" Most times it is not necessary. Just want you to go to a dealer!

over a year ago

yes most of the codes and how to reset some faults can be found on google.

also try pistonheads dot com website.

dealers hate this website as posts on it can can upset business.

mate of mine was getting crap customer care from his dealer and told them he was going to post about in pistonheads and the manager rung him at home and the car was collected and sorted.

bad press works.

good luck

By *umourCouple
over a year ago

Northants

"Is it a Peugeot by any chance if you have been running it round town and popping to the shops then it may be the DPF filter that needs a clean out? a good run on the motorway 20 or 30 miles? at 70mph may do it? as this high speed and hot temps make the car regenerate the DPF filter. "

You are quite right about that cause! But not just Peugeot. All of the "normal" ranges are the same. The VW Passat's we had for work were notorious for DPF problems! More upmarket cars are not a problem, we have never had a problem with ours and Mrs R does 4.5 miles to work and 4.5 miles home every day. It is not used apart from that!

The fuel additive the garage was on about I believe is a booster to help reach the high tempretures needed to clean the DPF... Again, lower priced cars tend to have this system as it is topped up at every service by the main dealer.

Oh and if a garage tells you they don't know what the fluid is, change the garage! They have no idea of modern engines and fuel systems.

By *umpkinMan
over a year ago

near the sounds of the wimborne quarter jack!

"Is it a Peugeot by any chance if you have been running it round town and popping to the shops then it may be the DPF filter that needs a clean out? a good run on the motorway 20 or 30 miles? at 70mph may do it? as this high speed and hot temps make the car regenerate the DPF filter.

You are quite right about that cause! But not just Peugeot. All of the "normal" ranges are the same. The VW Passat's we had for work were notorious for DPF problems! More upmarket cars are not a problem, we have never had a problem with ours and Mrs R does 4.5 miles to work and 4.5 miles home every day. It is not used apart from that!

The fuel additive the garage was on about I believe is a booster to help reach the high tempretures needed to clean the DPF... Again, lower priced cars tend to have this system as it is topped up at every service by the main dealer.

Oh and if a garage tells you they don't know what the fluid is, change the garage! They have no idea of modern engines and fuel systems. "

This sounds very similar to AddBlue which is used in most, if not all current trucks of 7.5 tonnes and above. FFS, don`t start messing about adding stuff until you know what`s what!

Another good site to use is Honest John.

over a year ago

Google honest john - very useful website and forum for all things automotive

over a year ago

Yeppers to that...

he has motoring column in the Telegraph on saturdays... all sorts of help both motoring & legal...

seem to have read somewhere that main dealers HAVE to share info.. but not 100% sure on that...

we have an Audi... that wanted to charge £195 for an oil change... halfords £99... mentioned that to my Audi garage & the lopped £60 off the original quote..

By *athnBobCouple
over a year ago

sandwell

Whats an "engine management system"?

Looked under the bonnet of my 19 year old car AND my 30 year old car and can't find one!!!!

over a year ago

some cars have a seperate additive tank normaly only accesable from underneath this should last a number of years but you can buy the additive from the dealer and tak it to your local guy and he should be able to find where to fit it, any garage with an upto date autodata cd should be able do do it as they have all the data main agents have

By *y_funcouple OP   Couple
over a year ago

SHEFFIELD

Thanks for all the input, its much apreciated.

It was Mrs fun that did the original post, shes calmed down now lol Anyway weve got a local Garage who will be sorting the problem asap so no more problems there.

Thanks again

Mr Fun.

By *heWolfMan
over a year ago

warwickshire

"Whats an "engine management system"?

Looked under the bonnet of my 19 year old car AND my 30 year old car and can't find one!!!!"

That'll be your husband, sweetheart.

By *ailrulezCouple
over a year ago

stourbridge

"

This sounds very similar to AddBlue "

Addblue is literally just Urea, even smeels vile lol..if you run out just wee in the tank

over a year ago

Ive got an app on my phone that gives you all the Audi codes

Post new Message to Thread