Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Make Up counters in large Department stores

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Does anyone else feel threatened by the women working on the make up counters of the large department stores - you know the ones, the orange faced women with the eyelashes like spiders legs, the two stripes of bright orange blusher and the dark brown eyeliner used as lipliner with a pale pink lipstick on the lips.

I try to act all mature and when I approach them. Hey im a confident woman, I can do this, but they always make me feel a wreck, like ive been dragged out a hedge backwards and look at me like dirt when I happen to ask for something, as if the make up they sell is good, but wont work bloody miracles.

There attitude is always the same, "use this make up and you will look loads better than you do now with your cheap No 7 and Maybelline crap on, obviously you want to aspire to our orange faced beauty". I tend to run away before they can get their long red nailed talons on me, im not brave enough to take them on.

When I went to New York this year I went into Bloomingdales just to see how the Americans do it. My god they are 10 times worse. I was literally pounced upon by 3 orange faces and dragged screaming to the counter where they proceeded to spray perfume on me and rub cream into my hands and arms. Oo your skin is soo dry ma'am isnt it, they said to me, which made me feel like some kind of reptile.

I dont mind admitting, Im scared of these ladies

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Its Stepford city in those stores

over a year ago

lol...they avoid me like the plague.

By *oe_Steve_NWestCouple
over a year ago

Bolton

This is soooooooo true! They obviously think they look great but you probably look far better than them so they feel inferior! Glad other people feel the same as me! Z

over a year ago

You're lucky you can attract their attention, last time I was shopping with my daughter I had to interrupt the assistants conversation and ask them to ASSIST now please!

By *emmefataleWoman
over a year ago

dirtybigbadsgirlville

They dont bother me in the slightest

over a year ago

I was going to say that. They don't concern me at all.

By *emmefataleWoman
over a year ago

dirtybigbadsgirlville

i wanted a particular shade of lipgloss once and this"expert" told me that it wasnt my shade....i gave her "the look" and happily purchased the lipgloss of my choice....cheeky fuckers

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Ooo they do me, funny isnt it, I can stand up in a meeting and deliver a presentation or something and it wont faze me, I can disagree in a meeting and not be bothered, but I am totally fazed by the make up girls.

Im not fazed by the ladies who work somewhere like Boots, behind the perfume counters there, Im ok with that. Its in the really big department stores on very expensive make up counters. Some of them are ok of course, I cant tar them with the same brush (pun intended), but some of them are witches.

By *oDownEasyMan
over a year ago

Ayrshire

I have never seen how they can be a good advert for their stuff....if you want to look like a trainwreck, just like me, then buy my overpriced crap!

Good think I dont need any help to look crap

over a year ago

only ever done this once when I was hosting a foreign student who wanted to go. The assistant was lovely and gave me some useful advice about doing my eyes. I did buy the eyeshadow she recommended as it was lovely and a tube of touche eclat which is excellent stuff

over a year ago

If you look at it as YOU are doing THEM the favour by spending your hard earned money at their counter, and keeping them employed and their sales figures up, you soon lose any fear or trepidation about approaching their counter..... next thing you know you'll be asking for 'freebies' and 'samples' like I do.

over a year ago

I make a point of talking to them......their make up might crack then and make them look a tad more human

over a year ago

They don't bother me. However, I love to see how thickly they have applied their foundation/powder in order to look presentable!

over a year ago

if im buying from there i usually ask for a make over they then knock the cost of the make up i buy-smashbox are really good, they even put my false lashes on if its night im going out

lol

By *-and-KCouple
over a year ago

Back of Beyond

Katee doesn't run away, she heads straight for them.

Take a leaf out of her book, ignore the sales people and go for your favourite tester. Use liberally and then walk away with no purchase

By *mumaWoman
over a year ago

Livingston

I give off a look that says "take me on at your peril, you tango'd bitches"

over a year ago

Lee Evans does a fantastic impression of these women

Personally i prefer to stay away from them, the state of them and the huge costs put me right off

By *urreyfun2008Man
over a year ago

East Grinstead

It is the only source of power these ladies have

It is the one bit of the store you won't find hubbies hanging around in either, their make-up scares even lonesome husbands away.

By *oDownEasyMan
over a year ago

Ayrshire

And why are they always at the main entrance-you have to walk through a choking cloud of various perfumes just to buy something!

Even blokes emerge smelling like a tart's boudoir...which might cause some problems with the missus when they get home

By *uro anchorMan
over a year ago

Coventry

my daughter works on make up handing out free samples and helping all u lovely ladies.. cant understand all ur bitching ?

By *ansue35Couple
over a year ago

yorkshire

HI

I know what you mean, they so your crap at make up but if you buy everything you look like me.

I always go with Ian, as he's ace at wind ups.

One women got me ( am little shy) so Ian comes a cross and says forget.

Am doing Panto this weekend and i am the chocolate orange lady, can you help me look like you as your orange is sooo the right colour.

worked a treat.

sue

over a year ago

They don't bother me at all: they're shop assistants after all!!

That sounds a tad snobby, but I'm sure you know what I mean!

over a year ago

"if im buying from there i usually ask for a make over they then knock the cost of the make up i buy-smashbox are really good, they even put my false lashes on if its night im going out

lol "

I too have done that.

I had a dramatic change of hair colour - from my natural blonde to my now brunette (giving away my secrets now)and needed a complete overhaul on make up and colours, so I went to dior as I love dior products spoke to the lady at the counter and she gave me a full make over along with gifts and money off my purchases and all the other ladies from different counters wandered over when not busy to offer free samples and advice.

What is it they say about god only favouring the brave, take them on in their own arena I say lol

By *unky monkeyMan
over a year ago

in the night garden

I LOVE these departments.

I say to my son at the entrance to John Lewis 'shall we go to see the clowns today son? he laughs and screams yeeeeaaah! So we spend a giddy 10 minutes walking up and down each isle giggling at the garish 'clown-ladies' with their frightening yet amusing visages.

Wonderful, would never a miss a trip!

There is a melancholy involved though, sometimes I sing the Broadway song 'Bring on the clowns' in my head and then I feel sorry for the poor clown ladies trapped every day in their masks

By *nvictusMan
over a year ago

Beeston

Is this a cross over from one of the zombie threads??

over a year ago

I tend to avoid one of the well known department stores in Leeds after upsetting one of the women on the Este Lauder counter. She told me what I should be wearing and how great a product was. I asked her if she would recommend ALL the Este products. Absolutely she said. 'Is that why you wear every one of them all at the same time then?' was my reply. 'How rude!' said she....

By *-and-KCouple
over a year ago

Back of Beyond

I'm amazed at how much makeup they can wear so early in a morning. Most places are open by 8-30, taken with maybe 30 mins travelling to work, that means they have to leave home before 8am.

With the amount of trowel work to get it all on, they must startapplying makeup at about 4am

over a year ago

Here's a tip for you guys out there:

Always go to the perfume dept of any store holding a piece of paper with the items you want on it. Make sure the girl can see the list and when she asks what you want read out loud from the list. This tells her two things:

You haven't got a fookin clue what you are buying so there's no point trying to flog you any of the other crap she sells.

Works a treat, and they usually pop a few samples in the bag saying, "Get her to try this."

By *emmefataleWoman
over a year ago

dirtybigbadsgirlville

"Here's a tip for you guys out there:

Always go to the perfume dept of any store holding a piece of paper with the items you want on it. Make sure the girl can see the list and when she asks what you want read out loud from the list. This tells her two things:

You haven't got a fookin clue what you are buying so there's no point trying to flog you any of the other crap she sells.

Works a treat, and they usually pop a few samples in the bag saying, "Get her to try this." "

That only works if your a clueless bloke Wishy!!!

over a year ago

Exactement Femme xxxxx

By *emmefataleWoman
over a year ago

dirtybigbadsgirlville

Merci Laine xxx

Post new Message to Thread