Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Electronic Pickpocketing

Jump to newest

By *ig bad OP   Man
over a year ago

Up North :-)

Serious link that is worth looking at for all those with new credit/debit cards.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJbtMclbatU

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *emmefataleWoman
over a year ago

dirtybigbadsgirlville

"Serious link that is worth looking at for all those with new credit/debit cards.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJbtMclbatU

"

scary

By *umourCouple
over a year ago

Northants

Just seen this being used on an episode of NCIS. All because people are too fookin lazy to put a card in a slot!! Barclaycards advert with the roller coaster is all about this technology, so perhaps it is time to tell your card company you don't want it. If they say you have to have it, change provider.

I know nothing will be 100% safe, but this is pure stupidity!

By *-and-KCouple
over a year ago

Back of Beyond

Saw it on there as well.

The credit and debit card companies reckon this type of card is the future for us all as well!

By *arambarMan
over a year ago

swindon

This is related to my line of work, so I feel qualified to comment.

It's one thing to read the data but completely another to be able to use the data you've retrieved fraudulently. The data that is accessible via an RFID reader is not sufficient on its own to be able to do commit fraud.

There are vulnerabilities with RFID cards, eg the Oyster card hack, but it's nowhere near as simple as just brushing up against someone with an RFID reader, copying their details and then using them to buy stuff.

The news video was nothing more than scaremongering. What they showed was less dangerous than letting a waiter walk off with your credit card to fetch the machine - which people do all the time. The 'hacker' in their video could only grab the card number and expiry date, but not the 3-digit CVV, which you'll need to order stuff online... the waiter in the restaurant, however, is writing that down.

In short - don't panic (yet).

Post new Message to Thread