Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Internet Fraud

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Has anyone experianced this?

Just got a phone call from my 18 yr old daughter,we have gave her money for exmas and she decided to order some Ugg Boots of the internet,it turns out its a fraudulent website from China,so you can imagine she really upset,ive told her not to get upset and when she gets in she can call the bank see what they can do.

Has this happened to anyone else?

And did you get your money back? My daughter paid by visa debit card x

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *illyrocCouple
over a year ago

north west

i know when paying oncredit card you are covered but debit cards im not so sure as i have insurance on my debit cards for this exact thing you will find theres loads of scams when you order from china but its wortha visit to the bank to see what they can do .

By *unky monkeyMan
over a year ago

in the night garden

"Has anyone experianced this?

Just got a phone call from my 18 yr old daughter,we have gave her money for exmas and she decided to order some Ugg Boots of the internet,it turns out its a fraudulent website from China,so you can imagine she really upset,ive told her not to get upset and when she gets in she can call the bank see what they can do.

And did you get your money back? My daughter paid by visa debit card x"

I'm not sure she will have much luck with a debit card, they are classed as cash so usually takes a law suit to reclaim cash. With a credit card it's much easier as they reverse the transaction and all credit card companies comply.

I once got my credit card shut down due to internet fraud because I dared to spend 99p on iTunes! No fraud anywhere! Bizarre.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

my mate just bought an iphone off the net and paid by debit card. they told him they have to let the sale go through, then if they take the money you have to see if they send you anything. then if they dont or its jekyll you can register it as fraud etc. pain in the arce really, better on a credit card deffo. hope this helps.

over a year ago

"my mate just bought an iphone off the net and paid by debit card. they told him they have to let the sale go through, then if they take the money you have to see if they send you anything. then if they dont or its jekyll you can register it as fraud etc. pain in the arce really, better on a credit card deffo. hope this helps."

Thanks,hopefully the bank will do that so she eventually gets her money back.

The bank have told her its a fraudulent website and gave her a number to call when she gets in so hopefully she will get her money back x

over a year ago

yeah hopefully. its all to do with them taking the money first then either not sending or sending dodgy items. nothings ever easy. apart from me, yaaaaaaaaaay.x.

over a year ago

"yeah hopefully. its all to do with them taking the money first then either not sending or sending dodgy items. nothings ever easy. apart from me, yaaaaaaaaaay.x."

Lol xx

over a year ago

this is the reason we now have a credit card for internet use, heard some scare stories and although didnt want a credit card it seems to be the safest way.

let us know what happens hope its ok

over a year ago

"Has anyone experianced this?

And did you get your money back? My daughter paid by visa debit card x"

It's happening more and more. The banks are often able to trace where the money went but unless pushed may drag their heels. Be polite with the bank but persistent. Its in their interests to keep your daughter banking with them long term so they should make some effort.

over a year ago

If she paid with a visa debit card, tell her to contact the bank and demand a visa debit chargeback, thats part of the reason most banks are now moving to visa debit cards, they offer slightly more protection.

By *iewMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Angus & Findhorn

yes I had nearly 1500 quid taken out on xmas eve 2 years ago..

Lloyds TSB were fab, they sent a list of all the transactions, they has taken multiple purchases overnight in the USA.

I signed which were my transactions and which were fraud.

they returned all my money within the week.

good luck x

over a year ago

"If she paid with a visa debit card, tell her to contact the bank and demand a visa debit chargeback, thats part of the reason most banks are now moving to visa debit cards, they offer slightly more protection."

I was hoping that because it is a visa debit then she might have some luck getting her money back.

I will tell her when she gets in.

Thanks x

over a year ago

Thats good to hear View,was it visa debit transactions they took your money?

By *iewMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Angus & Findhorn

yes it was Visa debit x

By *illyrocCouple
over a year ago

north west

They will refund a debit visa if you never gave permission for it to be used but when you purchase some thing that never turns up can be a diff story but let us all know what happens ,

over a year ago

Thanks View and will do Billy xx

over a year ago

She phoned the bank,they have cancelled her card and say they are going to investigate..

Fingers crossed they will get her money back for her x

over a year ago

"She phoned the bank,they have cancelled her card and say they are going to investigate..

Fingers crossed they will get her money back for her x"

If you have cancelled the card and reported it as fraud you will get your money back,this happened on ebay with me and Barclays refunded and where really good about it and that was a debit card too,so good luck xx

By *nvictusMan
over a year ago

Beeston

One of mine was cloned a few years ago. They used it to join a dating site in America. As I was still with my wife at that time and she checked all the statements you can imagine the conversation we had!!!

The bank put a watch on it and they tried to use it again a few days later to order $500 of stuff off the internet.

I now use a 'pay as you go' type card you load with cash at the post office for all my internet orders.

over a year ago

"If she paid with a visa debit card, tell her to contact the bank and demand a visa debit chargeback, thats part of the reason most banks are now moving to visa debit cards, they offer slightly more protection."

I agree, visa debit chargeback with Lloyds TSB worked for me when getting money back from a holiday company.

over a year ago

i had my bank account cleared when someone hacked into the banks website and managed to get loads of passwords.

but i wasnt the only one and got all my money back. just took a while for the bank to refund me.

By *icksfocusMan
over a year ago

Pontefract

this i swhy i have a pay as you go credit card too for internet purchases. It is insured and if someone gets your details they can not get anything as i only leave about a pound on it until i want to buy something. Its an o2 one they are free as long as you are on o2 and can be loaded at o2 shops or any shop that is a paypoint

Post new Message to Thread