Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

plan for students

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Students; Avoid years of traumatic debts from increased university fees by simply leaving full-time education now and getting a job.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Nice one is that after they get out the army thats where they should go if they want to fight

over a year ago

isnt the reason they going uni is to get a better education,therefore better job..

as far as army goes,you can get a degree, become an officer and still fight but get paid more....double winner

over a year ago

most of our leaders went to uni, do we want our future leaders to behave like this???

over a year ago

would you say the same about the womens suffrage movement for example,ok they maybe werent uni educated but most were wealthy ladies who believed in the vote and did use anti social tactics to get the result...not saying its ideal but its how things get done..

By *umourCouple
over a year ago

Rushden

Spoke to my Neice this morning who was in the thick of things yesterday. Her attitude (and she says the attitude of most of her friends) is that they can keep their hands clean, because they have others going along who will do the damage for them!

She is at Bristol, studying something like Set Design/Stage Management! In other words, having a great time at our expense! Reading her Facebook entries, she is constantly pissed and is already behind in her work and this is her first year!!!

By *orestersCouple
over a year ago

The Forest

Perhaps they'll study a bit more dilligently now that they're paying increased fees. I've always said that the standard 3 year BA/Bsc course can be easily achieved in 2 years with hard work, and minimal "study periods".

over a year ago

"would you say the same about the womens suffrage movement for example,ok they maybe werent uni educated but most were wealthy ladies who believed in the vote and did use anti social tactics to get the result...not saying its ideal but its how things get done..

"

get your point but not sure its the same, getting the vote and expecting the tax payer to foot the bill to give you higher education that benifits are only really felt by you, are two very different things

By *wingsAndRoundaboutsCouple
over a year ago

Liverpool

The only friends I have who have issues with it, are the ones who are studying Art, or a language, or Lady fecking Gaga. In other words, the ones who know that after the party is over, they won't stand a bloody chance of being able to afford to pay back the loans.

By *orestersCouple
over a year ago

The Forest

"would you say the same about the womens suffrage movement for example,ok they maybe werent uni educated but most were wealthy ladies who believed in the vote and did use anti social tactics to get the result...not saying its ideal but its how things get done..

"

I don't think the students would get anywhere by chaining themselves to railings and refusing to have sex with their husbands, which were the most prolific suffragette tactics

over a year ago

I don't think the students would get anywhere by chaining themselves to railings and refusing to have sex with their husbands, which were the most prolific suffragette tactics "

lol but they worked didnt they? the point i was trying to make was about a passion for what one believes.

over a year ago

They would get in the army anyway and as for being a officer you don't need to go to uni I started as a guardsman and with hard work ended up a major

By *edangel_2013Woman
over a year ago

southend

Or do what I did. Wait until you have a full time job, then if its not that well paid, (well it's not going to be if you didn't go to uni!!) then do Open Uni, because your fee's get paid for you!!!

over a year ago

I am studying ata the OU just now and it will take 6 years to get my degree. I have done one year now. I would love to go to Uni properly but due to home cercumstances it isn't possible, also I couldn't afford it. I agree with a demonstration but I don't agree with how they are doing these ones

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"Students; Avoid years of traumatic debts from increased university fees by simply leaving full-time education now and getting a job. "

ahem... and what about all the doctors and nurses that will need degrees to get jobs...

and lawyers....

and social workers....

and teachers.......

By *andcCouple
over a year ago

London and Cheshire

"Students; Avoid years of traumatic debts from increased university fees by simply leaving full-time education now and getting a job.

ahem... and what about all the doctors and nurses that will need degrees to get jobs...

and lawyers....

and social workers....

and teachers.......

"

A degree for a Lawyer, teacher, doctor etc.. is a tool for the job. i.e you need a degree to do that job just has a joiner needs his tools to do his job!

I have never bought a joiner his tools and I see no reason why I should pay for the degrees of those who choose to go to university.

Don't forget that the average working class man is paying tax so that these people can get better jobs, why should they? Surely going to university is an investment, an investment they should be paying, not everyone else.

Years ago only 1 in 7 people went to university now 1 in 3 and it looks set to be 1 in 2, the old system cannot afford to keep paying for that.

Finally why does everyone have to go to university? It doesn't guarantee success in life or even a better job, there may be more people going to university, but are there actually more jobs that require a degree, or are they just average jobs, that didn't require a degree in the past, but now do?

By *oe_Steve_NWestCouple
over a year ago

Bolton

"Students; Avoid years of traumatic debts from increased university fees by simply leaving full-time education now and getting a job.

and lawyers....

and social workers....

and teachers.......

A degree for a Lawyer, teacher, doctor etc.. is a tool for the job. i.e you need a degree to do that job just has a joiner needs his tools to do his job!

I have never bought a joiner his tools and I see no reason why I should pay for the degrees of those who choose to go to university.

Don't forget that the average working class man is paying tax so that these people can get better jobs, why should they? Surely going to university is an investment, an investment they should be paying, not everyone else.

Years ago only 1 in 7 people went to university now 1 in 3 and it looks set to be 1 in 2, the old system cannot afford to keep paying for that.

Finally why does everyone have to go to university? It doesn't guarantee success in life or even a better job, there may be more people going to university, but are there actually more jobs that require a degree, or are they just average jobs, that didn't require a degree in the past, but now do?"

Well said and I have the same attitude, too many people are going to uni doing mickey mouse degrees that we're paying for, I didn't go to Uni and have done better than a lot of my peers who did! You do not need a degree to get a good job and have a decent career and having a degree doesn't automatically mean that you do! Z

over a year ago

I've always been a strong believer in bringing back national service. If every able bodied person between the ages of 18 - 20 spent 2 years in the pleasure of one of our forces, it can only be for the good of all. Not only would it bring discipline to a group of over pampered individules but would boost our armed forces. Post this they could choose Uni if they wanted to.

over a year ago

There are a lot of people who resent those who go to uni - the same with people who despise the rich - I don't really get it.

I don't agree with the riots - but then again I don't have the close minded view that everyone at uni is being financially steamrolled by the state or by a rich parent either.

over a year ago

I dont think this is going to stop people going to Uni because you can still get the loans and grants for it. Just means everyones going to be in a shit tonne of debt when they leave. If they want to limit the amount of people going to Uni they should just increase standards so people dont come out of 3Yrs extra education with a third because that wont get you hired anywhere :S Its just a money making scheme by the government. Milk the money cow!

over a year ago

"...

....."

Oh hammer and nail statement. I will be using that one in future thanks

over a year ago

"There are a lot of people who resent those who go to uni - the same with people who despise the rich - I don't really get it.

I don't agree with the riots - but then again I don't have the close minded view that everyone at uni is being financially steamrolled by the state or by a rich parent either."

I don't get it either!!!

Let's all be dumb together - way to go. I was lucky to have had a free education. My children not so, we paid for them so they didn't end up owing thousands of pounds.

This increase will not affect me or mine, but I think it's a crying shame that others less well off then myself wont be able to get the education they want!

Some of you will soon moan if your children aren't fit for anything so jobs are outsourced to other countries!!

By *hite SnakeMan
over a year ago

leeds

"They would get in the army anyway and as for being a officer you don't need to go to uni I started as a guardsman and with hard work ended up a major "

You are an exception being an ex squaddie (all be it 30 years ago0. In my experience hard work and officers were never something that happened.

over a year ago

The government didn't pay for me to go to uni though, nor did the tax payer - I wish they would of.

over a year ago

I plan for students every day.

over a year ago

and lawyers....

and social workers....

and teachers.......

"

the reason we need all these lawyers, doctors etc to begin with is because ppls behaviour

curb ppls enthusiasm into all things bad and u solve the majority of the problems. its that simple

over a year ago

and lawyers....

and social workers....

and teachers.......

the reason we need all these lawyers, doctors etc to begin with is because ppls behaviour

curb ppls enthusiasm into all things bad and u solve the majority of the problems. its that simple

"

to say, but when you start to think about the "curbs" it becomes just a little more complicated. Does it not?

over a year ago

and lawyers....

and social workers....

and teachers.......

to say, but when you start to think about the "curbs" it becomes just a little more complicated. Does it not?"

but if everybody is doing it a the same time it can be more beneficial

as in a AA meeting, friends family animals, hobbies, work

this is when i think the student debt thing could be a good example here. How many great artists such as writers struggled from poverty and still ended there life there. Why are these students complaining. don't get pissed thats where ur money goes. and if your friends don;t help u or use peer pressure move on to another group u can trust.

this is your life, not somebody elses. use it wisely.

By *andcCouple
over a year ago

London and Cheshire

"

Let's all be dumb together - way to go. I was lucky to have had a free education. My children not so, we paid for them so they didn't end up owing thousands of pounds.

This increase will not affect me or mine, but I think it's a crying shame that others less well off then myself wont be able to get the education they want!

Some of you will soon moan if your children aren't fit for anything so jobs are outsourced to other countries!! "

So everyone who doesn't go to uni is dumb eh?

Just because your not well off is not an excuse either, there is no upfront fees you borrow the money and you pay it back after your earnings met a certain threshold.

I come back to the point of tools for the job, again, what if you want to set up your own business, say haulage, you have to borrow money to buy a truck,but that is an investment in the business, so students have to see this has an investment in THEIR future.

over a year ago

"So everyone who doesn't go to uni is dumb eh?

"

No where did I say anyone that didn't go to university is dumb!!!

By *andcCouple
over a year ago

London and Cheshire

There are other solutions!

1.Keep paying the fees of students but work within the budget set, so university closures, to reduce the number going to university, to meet the budget.

2.Keep paying fee of students and stop paying someone else, say old peoples winter fuel money, or reduce pensions, or reduce public sector workers.....etc

But it won't come to that, when student loans first came out they said people would stop going to university, when Labour introduced the student tuition fees they said the same but numbers of students have continued to rise. Even with these higher fees student numbers will continue to rise, mainly because it has become the accepted norm that people go to university after leaving school, whether capable or not!

By *andcCouple
over a year ago

London and Cheshire

"

with the "Let's all be dumb together - way to go" statement

over a year ago

with the "Let's all be dumb together - way to go" statement"

Read it in context to the previous post and what I've written!

We can all make generalised statements by just picking random statements!!

over a year ago

Social work degrees as with many health based degrees are paid for by the NHS , one reason i wanted to go in to social work rather than medicine was due to that fact , i think its appauling the change of the lib dems and blooming voted for them at least with the consevatives you knew what you were getting lol , whilst i agree with demonstrations in principle i think that the NUS and the police should work together and sort a more peaceful and organised way of doing it

and lawyers....

and social workers....

and teachers.......

"

By *yronMan
over a year ago

grangemouth

and lawyers....

and social workers....

and teachers.......

Finally why does everyone have to go to university? It doesn't guarantee success in life or even a better job, there may be more people going to university, but are there actually more jobs that require a degree, or are they just average jobs, that didn't require a degree in the past, but now do?

Well said and I have the same attitude, too many people are going to uni doing mickey mouse degrees that we're paying for, I didn't go to Uni and have done better than a lot of my peers who did! You do not need a degree to get a good job and have a decent career and having a degree doesn't automatically mean that you do! Z"

The problem is that far too many schools are putting pressure on their pupils to go to University: When I was a student, there were a lot of dropouts because you had young people who had been pressured into taking a degree course that they had no interest in (computing science was the usual one, although English also had the same problem) and trying to get their heads round a concept that held no interest for them.

Also, one of the problems is that we used to have in this country excellent Colleges, excellent Polytechnics and excellent Universities. These days we have lots of Universities of varying competence - the people who ran these places couldn't get it into their heads that that these could be centres of excellence without retitling it a University.

By *andcCouple
over a year ago

London and Cheshire

"

Read it in context to the previous post and what I've written!

We can all make generalised statements by just picking random statements!! "

The context is that the post you answered said:

"There are a lot of people who resent those who go to uni - the same with people who despise the rich - I don't really get it."

and you stated you didn't get it either, that, because people resent other going to university let's ALL not go! So the statement "Let's all be dumb together" infers that you are dumb if you don't go to university!

Post new Message to Thread