Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Lending people money

Jump to newest

By *ittle_brat_evie!! OP   Woman
over a year ago

evesham

i keep getting texts from a guy i know asking me to lend him money - at first i would reply nicely saying sorry i dont have spare cash etc etc but tonight i have decided to just ignore him

have you or would you lend money (£100 plus say??) to friends? if you have did they give it back or did it ruin the friendship?? did they keep coming to you after that for handouts??

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

I have had this many times,real friends who you trust and value you will pay you back and they have to me,I have lent money to people whom I thought were friends and never paid me back,go with your gut,can you afford it and can you afford to lose it if they don't pay you back.

I won't lend money now as I hate having to ask for it back,Hope that helps xx

over a year ago

evesham

i am not going to do it for a number of reasons

1) he only ever texts me when he wants money

2) i would hate to go chasing it

3) he lives too far away for me to just go round there and ask for it

4) i have only just got myself out of debt and know the value of my money

5) my dad ill kill me if he found out

By *ouplefunukCouple
over a year ago

North Bristol

Someone gave me some wise advice once. Only lend money you can afford to give away.

I wouldn't lend money to friends or family unless I didn't expect it back. We lent to family on a credit card a few years back 'just for a couple of weeks' (we're talking a couple of grand) and it took us over 3 years to get it back. Never again.

*Her*

over a year ago

never lend serious amount of money.

you have to work hard for it and some people will not pay you back or delay paying you back so you get sick of asking for it.

and your the one who always feels bad about asking for what was yours in the first place.

never lend money.

over a year ago

i had a man ask me for money here two weeks running he would like me to pay the staff at his shop so he can be in a hotel with me ,, lol and me paying for hotel too. Then said his car was playing up would need a taxie or me get him a new car. lol He is not from the uk and i think he see him -self as a jigalow i told him i dont have to pay no man here ..... its free sex i get ... and i get loads of offers he never liked it , lol now has stoped chating thankgod . lol But keep looking at my profile ,, x jo

By *irtyGirlWoman
over a year ago

Edinburgh

Never a lender nor a borrower be.

Except off my mum but that's allowed and I always pay her back!

over a year ago

"Never a lender nor a borrower be.

Except off my mum but that's allowed and I always pay her back! "

Thats what moms are for,bless them xxx

over a year ago

"i had a man ask me for money here two weeks running he would like me to pay the staff at his shop so he can be in a hotel with me ,, lol and me paying for hotel too. Then said his car was playing up would need a taxie or me get him a new car. lol He is not from the uk and i think he see him -self as a jigalow i told him i dont have to pay no man here ..... its free sex i get ... and i get loads of offers he never liked it , lol now has stoped chating thankgod . lol But keep looking at my profile ,, x jo"

Cheeky sod,heard it all on here now lol xxxx

By *ezebelWoman
over a year ago

North of The Wall - youll need your vest

I would only lend money if I genuinely wanted them to have it in circumstances where I didnt care whether or not I got it back, if that makes sense.

But the type of things that have been mentioned here - no chance.

By *ashful BazMan
over a year ago

poole dorset

Happy to lend money, if its close friends, do not get asked much these days, did when I was younger though.

By *uro anchorMan
over a year ago

Coventry

"Never a lender nor a borrower be.

Except off my mum but that's allowed and I always pay her back!

Thats what moms are for,bless them xxx"

mate at the pub had 120 quid off me about 6 months ago.. gambled it away.. see him in the pub a lot anb in the bookies.. when i catch him on his own he always says he will have it soon but it never comes... think ive learned my lesson.. mmmmmm

By *mumaWoman
over a year ago

Livingston

never a lender or a borrower be - even with family!!!!

over a year ago

No no no no. Dont ever.

over a year ago

I think you have already answered your own question Evesham, trust your instincts, and buy me a drink instead!

over a year ago

evesham

"I think you have already answered your own question Evesham, trust your instincts, and buy me a drink instead! "

haha deal - next time i see you

By *irtyGirlWoman
over a year ago

Edinburgh

"I would only lend money if I genuinely wanted them to have it in circumstances where I didnt care whether or not I got it back, if that makes sense.

But the type of things that have been mentioned here - no chance."

That's pretty much how I feel... I'd not see a friend stuck, my heart is too big and sometimes it comes back and bites you, sometimes it doesn't. I'm not a fan of freeloaders though. Bad patter.

over a year ago

I lead money to my family all the time , lol I would to close friends too ...... just have to feel right ,,, as its so easy to be taken for a mug x

By *mumaWoman
over a year ago

Livingston

I made a rule after a bad experience never to lend money. however, if you need food or electricity or gas then yeah I will, I will never see anyone short, especially if bairns are involved

over a year ago

I never ask to borrow money from people on here. I have been on the dole for 12 months though and I have been offered a few times (I'll sub you your train fare to get to a party etc). Fortunately I am working again now and have paid the person their money back. I hate to borrow money, though. If I can't afford to save to buy something, how can I afford to pay a loan back once I have spent the money?

Much like the rules for gambling, never lend money you can't aford to loose and if you can afford to lose it, why not just give it away?

over a year ago

Like others here say, I too would never see a family member or friend stuck, what's mine is theirs, choose your friends wisely though. xxx

over a year ago

I've lent money to Family and Friends and have mostly got it back, if anyone I knew was stuck and I could spare it I'd lend it to them if I was sure I'd have it returned, I've lent my Car and Bikes out before now to those I trust

over a year ago

I lend money and get it back one way or another

over a year ago

I will lend with discretion. Won't lend if I think there is a chance I would have to chase it. Can't do that.

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

little house on the praire

Best friends yes. In 23 years they have never asked to lend money so if they did then i would lend them it as without doubt i would get it back.

No point lending my son i give him as i have no chance of getting back llol

over a year ago

when my sister used to ring me i knew she was after money.so when i always answered the phone to her first thing id say was:

i have no money.

in the end she got so sick of hearing it she stopped asking.

the money she wanted was only to by drink to keep her pissed.

she couldnt care about anything else.

over a year ago

When someone asks me for money I always say the following:

A true friend would know me well enough never to ask me for money. I never lend money to people who aren't my true friends.

Strangely, they never ask again.

over a year ago

only ever give people a loan of money if you can

a) write off the amount and it wont affect you personally (make sure its not money for something else )

b) if you dont get it back, you wont fall out with the person

over a year ago

Tell him to feck off....he ain't no friend if he's always on the lend.

Besides, your dad would kill you, thats always a good reason not to!

over a year ago

My philosophy is simple: never a borrower or lender be. I've lost count of the number of friends and family that have fallen out over money. No good deed goes unpunished as it's ALWAYS the lender who's seen as the bad guy!

Money you "lend" your kids: forget you had it. My eldest just back from 10 nights all inclusive holiday in Gran Canaria with her boyfriend. Doesn't have any money to pay back the £5k she owes me of course: wouldn't be able to collect on it anyway as my heart would give out at the shock if she did pay!!!

By *ig badMan
over a year ago

Up North :-)

"i keep getting texts from a guy i know asking me to lend him money - at first i would reply nicely saying sorry i dont have spare cash etc etc but tonight i have decided to just ignore him

have you or would you lend money (£100 plus say??) to friends? if you have did they give it back or did it ruin the friendship?? did they keep coming to you after that for handouts??"

If you lend money then you have to have the philosophy you will never get ti back. So if you do its a bonus and if not then you can afford to loose it. Personally i think its bad form to ask but not knowing his circumstances its hard to comment. He could be genuinely in need or it could be a piss take for drink/drugs funding.

You do as you feel right but you should never ever feel guilty for saying no, after all we all have to budget our finances and its not your fault to make sure others do so.

over a year ago

I have loaned money to my bro and no i wont get it back...But then he has helped me out in the past and even now does all my diy so i dont feel ive lost anything.

I recently helped a mate out and i know with xmas upon her she cant afford to give it me back.

And i wouldnt expect it either. But she and he are the only ones i would do it for .

By *ebzStarWoman
over a year ago

Notting

"i keep getting texts from a guy i know asking me to lend him money - at first i would reply nicely saying sorry i dont have spare cash etc etc but tonight i have decided to just ignore him

have you or would you lend money (£100 plus say??) to friends? if you have did they give it back or did it ruin the friendship?? did they keep coming to you after that for handouts??"

This is a hard one - as i know i have lent money to someone in the past (150 ) and actually wrote it off thinking i would never get it back - it was to help a mate and her kid out to pay her council tax and tv licence as she was getting harrassed.

To my great suprise - she paid me back - all be it 6 months down the line, but bless her - out the blue she came round with the cash and gave it me back - it made me feel guilty taking it back really as like i said i had written it off.

What i DONT like - is the blaggers who wheedle money out you bit by bit and NEVER pay it back - eg, all the time at hte pub they always have a drink off you and never buyone back, and seep it out and never give back - and when they DO have money - they buy themselves £200 jeans or trainers, and then STILL sponge off you in the pub. Luckily - that sort of person can only get away with that behaviour for so long before you start to ignore them - and yes then it does ruin friendships as one lad wasnt a bad lad - just a sopnger - but then you only have so much rope to be pulled!!!!

Bye bye - pull someones elses rope!

over a year ago

evesham

"I lend money and get it back one way or another "

lend us a tenner then

By *igJessie_bjWoman
over a year ago

peterborough

"I lend money and get it back one way or another

lend us a tenner then "

LOL

Tenner wont get ya far these days you know madam!!!

over a year ago

evesham

lend us a tenner then

LOL

Tenner wont get ya far these days you know madam!!!"

haha every little helps as Tescos like to believe

By *igJessie_bjWoman
over a year ago

peterborough

lend us a tenner then

LOL

Tenner wont get ya far these days you know madam!!!

haha every little helps as Tescos like to believe "

Marketing dear!!!

Dont fall for it - hmmm!!!

By *he_original_poloWoman
over a year ago

a Primark shoebox in Leicester

Never loan money to a friend... if you can afford it, give it to them. This way if you get it back it's a bonus.

over a year ago

I never lend money, If I have extra money and a friend or family member need something I will get it for them or give them the money for it, none of this lending money and knowing you'll not get it back. I have one friend who has 2 small children and if she's ever struggling i'll help her out sometimes but don't expect anything back.

I owe my mum quite a bit and everytime I give her money towards it she looks stunned lol

over a year ago

id give a friend anything if i had it

thats wat friends are for but only

friends xx

over a year ago

I work hard for my money and am careful with it, I never ask anyone to borrow money and there again I don't lend it out either I don't think I am tight though my mum got made redundant earlier this year her washing machine broke down last week so I bought her a new one. If i was not careful with my money I would not be able to do that. If a family member was in real trouble I would help.

over a year ago

I had a friend who always struggled with money and I always said that I won't lend money but on a few occasions she had no food in the house or coal for the fire. I emptyed my cuboards and freezer for her to feed themselfs as she had a young son and phoned the coal merchant to deliver a bag of coal. I didn't expect anything back and never did get anything back but she still is a friend. I won't leand money ever and I will only borrow money from my mum

over a year ago

"I had a friend who always struggled with money and I always said that I won't lend money but on a few occasions she had no food in the house or coal for the fire. I emptyed my cuboards and freezer for her to feed themselfs as she had a young son and phoned the coal merchant to deliver a bag of coal. I didn't expect anything back and never did get anything back but she still is a friend. I won't leand money ever and I will only borrow money from my mum "
your a good person at times its better to give then get back x you see in time you will get loads back ...maybe not from them in life i see it all the time what you give out you get back xx jo xxx

By *unky monkeyMan
over a year ago

in the night garden

I'm not sure a real friend would ever put you in that position in the first place.

over a year ago

"I had a friend who always struggled with money and I always said that I won't lend money but on a few occasions she had no food in the house or coal for the fire. I emptyed my cuboards and freezer for her to feed themselfs as she had a young son and phoned the coal merchant to deliver a bag of coal. I didn't expect anything back and never did get anything back but she still is a friend. I won't leand money ever and I will only borrow money from my mum your a good person at times its better to give then get back x you see in time you will get loads back ...maybe not from them in life i see it all the time what you give out you get back xx jo xxx"

You are a good friend alot of people would not do that,you helped her in more ways than one xxx

By *nvictusMan
over a year ago

Beeston

"I'm not sure a real friend would ever put you in that position in the first place."

...you still owe me £50 for voting for you.

over a year ago

I would do any thing to help a good friend out never like to see any one stuggle

over a year ago

"I had a friend who always struggled with money and I always said that I won't lend money but on a few occasions she had no food in the house or coal for the fire. I emptyed my cuboards and freezer for her to feed themselfs as she had a young son and phoned the coal merchant to deliver a bag of coal. I didn't expect anything back and never did get anything back but she still is a friend. I won't leand money ever and I will only borrow money from my mum your a good person at times its better to give then get back x you see in time you will get loads back ...maybe not from them in life i see it all the time what you give out you get back xx jo xxx

You are a good friend alot of people would not do that,you helped her in more ways than one xxx"

Thank you for your kind words but I only done what I thought was right for me. I have been told I give to much away but for me I always want to give as I like to see peoples faces when they recive that is payment enough for me.

As for people who borrow money from others and not return it, how would you feel if the shoe was on the other foot.

Michelle xxxx

By *iewMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Angus & Findhorn

I have loaned money many times. Many occasions repaid and a few times NOT.

but hey, it says more about them not repaying than it does about me. the ones not repaying just move onto the next mug..

over a year ago

its possibly the fastest why to loose freinds, unless your prepared to write the money off.

By *unky monkeyMan
over a year ago

in the night garden

"I'm not sure a real friend would ever put you in that position in the first place.

...you still owe me £50 for voting for you. "

That's different! I'm totally in favour of bribing friends.

Post new Message to Thread