Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

How different would the premiership league be if

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

you could only have players who are native to England and had to live no further than 30 miles from the home ground?

Now I don't follow the football at all, but Mrs Mally said this last night, and it got me wondering as the premiership is filled with foreign players, what would the league table look like if they could only play local talent from their own neighbourhood.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *emmefataleWoman
over a year ago

dirtybigbadsgirlville

"you could only have players who are native to England and had to live no further than 30 miles from the home ground?

Now I don't follow the football at all, but Mrs Mally said this last night, and it got me wondering as the premiership is filled with foreign players, what would the league table look like if they could only play local talent from their own neighbourhood."

Arsenal would be fucked

By *HAGADELICCouple
over a year ago

south london

Not just that .

What if the premiership were run like the US football?

(that's american football not "soccer")

-All income from everything is put into a big pot and divided equally between all clubs.

-Players can only be swapped not transfered for a fee.

-An agreed pay scale across the league no team can pay higher wages than any other.

-Young Players coming up from lower leagues and who are availiable for transfer ("the draft") are put on a list.

The senior clubs can pick from that list BUT the club at the bottom of the league gets first pick, the club at the top gets last. So Man united is at the back of the queue for that great 19 yr old from Rotherham and if say Wolves want him - they get him.

The result of this is a level playing field and if you look at the way the "league title" in US football is shared around between many more teams rather than a narrow elete if 3 or 4 english clubs, a lot more exciting competition.

By *nvictusMan
over a year ago

Beeston

"you could only have players who are native to England and had to live no further than 30 miles from the home ground?

Now I don't follow the football at all, but Mrs Mally said this last night, and it got me wondering as the premiership is filled with foreign players, what would the league table look like if they could only play local talent from their own neighbourhood."

I saw this thread and thought 'not bleedin football' but...I'd actually take far more interest if that was the case - well, okay, far less disinterest!

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"Not just that .

-All income from everything is put into a big pot and divided equally between all clubs.

-An agreed pay scale across the league no team can pay higher wages than any other.

-Young Players coming up from lower leagues and who are availiable for transfer ("the draft") are put on a list.

The senior clubs can pick from that list BUT the club at the bottom of the league gets first pick, the club at the top gets last. So Man united is at the back of the queue for that great 19 yr old from Rotherham and if say Wolves want him - they get him.

The result of this is a level playing field and if you look at the way the "league title" in US football is shared around between many more teams rather than a narrow elete if 3 or 4 english clubs, a lot more exciting competition.

"

Hell, why don't we just make everyone equal from birth, remove all sort of competition and incentive to be the best and go and live in Shangri-La yelping, "Good living, good citizen," to everyone we meet.

What a load of bollox.

By *nvictusMan
over a year ago

Beeston

"Not just that .

Hell, why don't we just make everyone equal from birth, remove all sort of competition and incentive to be the best and go and live in Shangri-La yelping, "Good living, good citizen," to everyone we meet.

What a load of bollox."

I'm guessing your team is in the Premier League then!

By *HAGADELICCouple
over a year ago

south london

Oh "bollox" is it? That's the strength of your arguement? Such brilliant thought through reasoning.

Nothing other but "bollox"? Shallow thinking....

It's not a system for running society its a system for making a SPORT fair and entertaining - at's all

Where succss and honours are won on the skill of the coach and the players

So you actually prefer football in this country? where to those is have is constantly given more?

Where for the majority of clubs the aim is simply survival?

Where success on the field is purely bought? The product of the owner's wealth?

Chelsea for example technically a bankrupt insolvent business simply subsidised to whatever success they have?

Rich clubs buying up every half good player in the country not using them simply to stop another club have them?

Well if you want to be offensive! football in this country is "bollox" and you are welcome to it!

By *harpDressed ManMan
over a year ago

Here occasionally, but mostly somewhere else

"

I'm guessing your team is in the Premier League then! "

Which raises another point...US soccer doesn't have relegation - so the Premier League would become a closed shop.

over a year ago

BAN FOOTBALL xx

By *harpDressed ManMan
over a year ago

On the original point of all players being born within 30 miles of their club....how many of you work within 30 miles of your birthplace?

By *iker BullMan
over a year ago

leeds

"

Oh "bollox" is it? That's the strength of your arguement? Such brilliant thought through reasoning.

Nothing other but "bollox"? Shallow thinking....

It's not a system for running society its a system for making a SPORT fair and entertaining - at's all

Where succss and honours are won on the skill of the coach and the players

So you actually prefer football in this country? where to those is have is constantly given more?

Where for the majority of clubs the aim is simply survival?

Where success on the field is purely bought? The product of the owner's wealth?

Chelsea for example technically a bankrupt insolvent business simply subsidised to whatever success they have?

Rich clubs buying up every half good player in the country not using them simply to stop another club have them?

Well if you want to be offensive! football in this country is "bollox" and you are welcome to it!

"

well said,,what sort of a league is it when realistically only 4 clubs are in with any chance of winning it!,,Speaking as an ex semi pro,,I think the american idea is great,spread the wealth around

By *nvictusMan
over a year ago

Beeston

I love the fact that people moan about loads of immigrants in the country and then go and cheer them all on the pitch on Sunday!!

(For the dim and humourless, that was a joke by the way )

By *orestersCouple
over a year ago

The Forest

Ah football - as Oscar Wilde said -

"a game played by thugs for the delectation of morons". Couldn't agree more.

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"Arsenal would be fucked "

actually you'd find that a lot of players have been thru the arsenal system... so we just probably would have let the likes of ashley cole, matty upson, jay bothroyd, david bentley, and a few other premier leaguers i'll have you know...

plus the next generation in the reserves are english.... lol

so naaaaaaaaah!!!!!

By *harpDressed ManMan
over a year ago

"well said,,what sort of a league is it when realistically only 4 clubs are in with any chance of winning it!"

Not the Scottish, Spanish, or French league, for a start....Some leagues would dream of having a four-horse race.

By *harpDressed ManMan
over a year ago

"plus the next generation in the reserves are english.... lol "

Does anyone else have a sense of deja vu when they read this?

By *HAGADELICCouple
over a year ago

south london

more on the US model then...

( note talking NFL the game with helmets and armour not US soccer )

since 1992/93 THIRTEEN different sides have won the super bowl the league championship

the FA Premiership started in 1992/3

and since then JUST FOUR sides have won the British title ( and one of those was Blackburn who won it once) the rest of the wins have been by Manchester Utd Arsenal and Chelsea

The way NFL is organised creates a level playing field and makes for a much more exciting season.

By *lassic1Man
over a year ago

bellshill

When Glasgow Celtic became the first british team to lift the european championship in 1967 EVERY player in the squad came from less than thirty miles away from the parkhead stadium.

That will never ever be repaeted.

By *harpDressed ManMan
over a year ago

"more on the US model then...

( note talking NFL the game with helmets and armour not US soccer )

since 1992/93 THIRTEEN different sides have won the super bowl the league championship

the FA Premiership started in 1992/3

and since then JUST FOUR sides have won the British title ( and one of those was Blackburn who won it once) the rest of the wins have been by Manchester Utd Arsenal and Chelsea

The way NFL is organised creates a level playing field and makes for a much more exciting season.

"

Yes, let's end the season with some play offs and a one off title decider. It's not as though we have the FA Cup or anything...

By *harpDressed ManMan
over a year ago

"When Glasgow Celtic became the first british team to lift the european championship in 1967 EVERY player in the squad came from less than thirty miles away from the parkhead stadium.

That will never ever be repaeted."

It's been repeated a lot.

Half of Glasgow won't fucking shut up about it.

By *prite128Woman
over a year ago

maidstone

Ice hockey is my main sport passion ( and yes british and i travel to games most weekends ) and they have an import cap for each team . There's a wage cap too but this doesnt seem to be enforced so within the ten teams of the EIHL there are still really two groups of 5, the top 5 having access to bigger funds.

the import cap means that a huge difference in budget, just like we see in football, can't totally dominate a team structure. Also, even if by default, it means that british talent has a place to grow and be developed alongside the north american and scandinavian players.

a hugely minority sport but maybe an interesting idea if applied to football?

over a year ago

Manchester utd won pretty much everything the past decade and that success is down to the youngsters, apart from Beckham, all of which was local lads.

Alan Hansen famously said you can never win anything with kids.

Sure there were some foreigners on that team, but no more than the teams that got relegated.

im sure Sir Alex would continue to field teams of local talent if it was there that is.

Premier league is 1 the best leagues in the world, a league were the top teams are competing against the top teams of europe as well as each other. so for a ban on foreign players to be approved it surly would have to be a european ban, not just the 1 league out of the top european leagues.

be interesting to see what happerns next ten years in manchester. the big success are 800mil in debt and the underdogs have 15bil. well my team Oldham shell remain being cheered on by chaddy the owl an his piggy bank.

By *HAGADELICCouple
over a year ago

south london

There are some knee jerk reactions here to the idea that the americans might have a better way of organising sport - of course we can still have promo and relegation, of course the season doesn't have to end with a play off.

But we could have a football competition which is broader fairer and more exciting

Once upon a time a team could get promoted from the old second division and go on and win the league the very next- don't try and argue that isn't great for the sport!

Today a promoted side just faces a struggle against relegation!

In any sport, competition is what makes it exciting - and monopoly of success is boring.

For instance " oh Venus versus Serena AGAIN... Think I'll mow the lawn"

By *harpDressed ManMan
over a year ago

"There are some knee jerk reactions here to the idea that the americans might have a better way of organising sport - of course we can still have promo and relegation, of course the season doesn't have to end with a play off.

But we could have a football competition which is broader fairer and more exciting

"

That's a little unfair. You proposed alternate models, you didn't say that you'd cherry pick the bits you liked, so my "knee jerk reaction" is actually your fault!

By *nvictusMan
over a year ago

Beeston

"There are some knee jerk reactions here to the idea that the americans might have a better way of organising sport - of course we can still have promo and relegation, of course the season doesn't have to end with a play off.

That's a little unfair. You proposed alternate models, you didn't say that you'd cherry pick the bits you liked, so my "knee jerk reaction" is actually your fault!

"

If you knee jerk too much your hat will fall off!

By *lassic1Man
over a year ago

bellshill

What instigated that rant I wonder ????

I would love to know a team that won the trophy with 100% nationals never mind locals !!!!

over a year ago

Only read the original post.. seriously, I think that this should be the case..and they should play for pride..

Katie.

over a year ago

Now I don't follow the football at all, but Mrs Mally said this last night, and it got me wondering as the premiership is filled with foreign players, what would the league table look like if they could only play local talent from their own neighbourhood.

Only read the original post.. seriously, I think that this should be the case..and they should play for pride..

Katie."

I thought they did along with the money hand in hand.

over a year ago

Arsenal would actually be doing rather well in the long run. Ok to start with the clubs with the best academies, Man united, west ham, Leeds and Middlesbrough probably, would soar up the leagues to the top, but pretty soon all clubs would change their structure and start to pour money into local talent hunting and training. Then the likes of Arsenal would do rather well due to the simple numbers game, there's a hell of a lot more people living within 30 miles of their ground, as most of London, I would estimate around 6 million, although they would share this pool with other clubs.

Compare this with the likes of PLymouth or Carlisle (200,000 odd) and you could see who the eventual winners and losers would be, with the likes of Barnet, FC United of Manchester, Bradford City and AFC Wimbledon hammering up the leagues like no bodies business to boot!

By *adgeeMan
over a year ago

Sw Scotland

"On the original point of all players being born within 30 miles of their club....how many of you work within 30 miles of your birthplace?

"

The original quote was "You could only have players who are native to England and had to LIVE no further than 30 miles from the home ground?"

By *harpDressed ManMan
over a year ago

"On the original point of all players being born within 30 miles of their club....how many of you work within 30 miles of your birthplace?

The original quote was "You could only have players who are native to England and had to LIVE no further than 30 miles from the home ground?""

Was it? Ha! As we are now, then.

Post new Message to Thread