Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Freddy Mercury

Jump to newest

By *oe_Steve_NWest OP   Couple
over a year ago

Bolton

Is anyone else watching the programme about him? He was just so fantastic, what a guy, I wish I had seen Queen live. Z

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

what side is it on? xx

over a year ago

Bolton

Hang on, I'll chexk - itv4 - started at 9 Z

By *iewMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Angus & Findhorn

No but I watched the video yesterday of the track a winters tale...

Beautiful video.

over a year ago

strangely, i was watching one of his christmas vids the other day and thought out of all the celebs that have passed on, he was the one that i most wish hadn't.

not that i wish any others dead...just, he was a great character and man

over a year ago

"No but I watched the video yesterday of the track a winters tale...

Beautiful video.

"

that was the one i saw!

over a year ago

got it thanks. what a showman!!

By *histler21Man
over a year ago

Ipswich

I saw Mott the Hoople at the Hammersmith Palais aeons ago. The support act was a new band named Queen...

By *y_funcoupleCouple
over a year ago

SHEFFIELD

Freddie Mercury def the Greatest Showman!

I think Queen, is probably the greatest group, you go to football match, weddings etc and its always a Queen song you hear, not a Beatles or a Take That

Mrs Fun xx

over a year ago

Bolton

Another advert break, it's really enlightening, it's actually making me like him even more! Z

over a year ago

Bolton

"I saw Mott the Hoople at the Hammersmith Palais aeons ago. The support act was a new band named Queen..."

Wow - i bet that was amazing - but you don't realise at the time I suppose! What a brilliant memory though. Z

By *acreadCouple
over a year ago

central scotland

Saw the programme a few months back and didnt know it was on tonight it was excellent. Freddie was a genius

Just my era Queen, Bowie, Mott the Hoople, T Rex ,Roxy Music.

Saw them all live oh to go back in time.

over a year ago

"I saw Mott the Hoople at the Hammersmith Palais aeons ago. The support act was a new band named Queen...

Wow - i bet that was amazing - but you don't realise at the time I suppose! What a brilliant memory though. Z"

That would have been around 1973-74. A guy I was at college with saw them too and had us all searching the record shops for Queen singles.

I think "Keep Yourself Alive" had just been released. Then they released "Seven Seas Of Rye" and the rest is history.

I saw them at Bingley Hall, Stafford in late 70's. Freddy had just cut his hair short and grown his tash.

Saw them again at NEC when they opened the new concert hall.

Great memories

By *acreadCouple
over a year ago

central scotland

Queen's record company were refusing to put Bohemian Rhapsody out as a single as they said it was too long and woukld not go anywhere lol.

over a year ago

"Queen's record company were refusing to put Bohemian Rhapsody out as a single as they said it was too long and woukld not go anywhere lol. "

That song also marked a change in Queens style. Up till then they never used synths or backing tracks at their concerts. What you heard was what they played on stage.

Most of the early albums carry a note saying "no synths".

over a year ago

Freddie Mercury - pure genius, Rest in peace fella.

over a year ago

Bolton

That made me cry, it's really affects me when people that loved someone so much still fill up nearly 20 years after he's died, that's proper love, Z

By *emmefataleWoman
over a year ago

dirtybigbadsgirlville

"Is anyone else watching the programme about him? He was just so fantastic, what a guy, I wish I had seen Queen live. Z"
I was lucky enough to see Queen live on two occasions, he was such a showman and i can honestly say he is the only "celebrity" i ever shed a tear over when i found out he had died

over a year ago

Bolton

"Is anyone else watching the programme about him? He was just so fantastic, what a guy, I wish I had seen Queen live. ZI was lucky enough to see Queen live on two occasions, he was such a showman and i can honestly say he is the only "celebrity" i ever shed a tear over when i found out he had died "

I do wish I had seen them live, you're very lucky, no one ever has a bad word to say about the man, Z

over a year ago

I have also seen the late great Freddie Mercury. It was the best concert ever and he was the most amazing showman

over a year ago

Bolton

I was lucky enough to see Queen in Berlin during the the Magic tour when they did a 1 off gig for British troops on the Rhine.

Steve

over a year ago

The Knebworth concert was one of the most amazing days of my life......

Freddie rocks!!!!

Forum Mod

over a year ago

We have a very good Freddie impersonator on here

RedHot come out and pay tribute!!!

By *uckscouple2007Couple
over a year ago

Bucks

"I was lucky enough to see Queen in Berlin during the the Magic tour when they did a 1 off gig for British troops on the Rhine.

Steve "

will be a cold atmosphere in yr household tonight lol

over a year ago

A very very talented man was Freddy ..

Wish I'd seen the programme - wonder if it was the same one that was on a good while ago, where it took you back to his school in Zanibar and showed an inter_iew with his Mother ?

A sad loss to music .. To me (Bob) he is in the same league as Elvis Presley and Elvis is my all time hero

over a year ago

"We have a very good Freddie impersonator on here

RedHot come out and pay tribute!!! "

loll Freddy was 'The Boy'

By *harpDressed ManMan
over a year ago

Here occasionally, but mostly somewhere else

I started getting into Queen in 1986...was too young for that tour.

Got majorly into them over the next five years...hoping for another tour.

Not to be.

I still have most of my collection, can still answer just about any trivia question on them (was on TV for that once)...and I still miss that voice.

Oh, and Jack - Stafford was 1978, and I can probably send you a CD of that show...

over a year ago

I saw Queen at Wembley in July 1986, it was a wonderful experience - the best ever concert I have been too.

To top it off, and to warm us up was the very beautiful Michael Hutchence - was great

over a year ago

freddie mercury/queen songs are epic. pure talent! 3

over a year ago

Bolton

"A very very talented man was Freddy ..

Wish I'd seen the programme - wonder if it was the same one that was on a good while ago, where it took you back to his school in Zanibar and showed an inter_iew with his Mother ?

A sad loss to music .. To me (Bob) he is in the same league as Elvis Presley and Elvis is my all time hero

"

Yes, it was that one, it made me quite sad to realise that he had to hide his sexuality all his life and was, for the most part, a very lonely man. Z

over a year ago

"I started getting into Queen in 1986...was too young for that tour.

Got majorly into them over the next five years...hoping for another tour.

Not to be.

I still have most of my collection, can still answer just about any trivia question on them (was on TV for that once)...and I still miss that voice.

Oh, and Jack - Stafford was 1978, and I can probably send you a CD of that show..."

That would be much appreciated Sharpy.

And can you answer a trivia question for me?

I'm sure I read somewhere that his "real" name was Farouk Bulsara, but family called him Freddy when he was young. Think he was born in Zanzibar. The question came up in a quiz, but I answered as above, and was told I was wrong, lol. Did I dream it?

over a year ago

Oh, and forgot to say, I grew my tash then too, just like Freddy's.

It's over 30yrs old now, lol

By *harpDressed ManMan
over a year ago

"

I'm sure I read somewhere that his "real" name was Farouk Bulsara, but family called him Freddy when he was young. Think he was born in Zanzibar. The question came up in a quiz, but I answered as above, and was told I was wrong, lol. Did I dream it? "

All correct, although the spelling of Farouk does appear to be a moving feast.

Will contact you re: the CD tonight I expect

over a year ago

I loved him and yes seen that on Tv about his life ... He was a lovely man and caring soul x Like Elvis he is in a class of his own , We all love this music even the old one and all my children do too i was lucky i got to see him two times x Was just out of this world xx God Bless xx SHOW MUST GO ON bet he is rocking them where ever he is. XX x jo xxx

over a year ago

They are putting up a statue of him in my home town as he lived there when he first moved to the uk. :D

Katie.

By *nvictusMan
over a year ago

Beeston

"They are putting up a statue of him in my home town as he lived there when he first moved to the uk. :D

Katie."

I never knew that.

Freddie was unique and was a superb showman.

By *HAGADELICCouple
over a year ago

south london

As a teenager in Derbyshire Mr S was persuaded by his friends Pippa and Carol to go with them and his friend Michael, down to London to see Queen in concert.

They were all just friends -really nothing else to it, the girls' parents wouldn't let them go on their own!

On the coach back to Derby the following argument took place...

Boys(together and separately)

"Oh he is!!! Come on! Look at how he dresses and acts"

Girls " no he is not HE IS NOT! he has a girlfriend!"

Boys: "rubbish it's obvious"

Girls: (getting VV ANGRY)

"Look he is not! he has a girlfriend... It was in Smash Hits!"

Boys: "well that settles it then we stand corrected...."

By *umourCouple
over a year ago

Northants

Queen... I have to say that they are probably the best all round band ever! In fact, If Carlsberg made bands, they would have made Queen as the pinnacle of their abilities!

The thing that Queen and dear Freddy did that other bands didn't, was to appeal to old and young alike. That appeal seemed to come about after the release of Bohemian Rhapsody when the “Older Generation” realised that they actually played proper tunes and had good lyrics, unlike the Punk bands around at the same time. I can remember being horrified that my Mum went out and bought the record!!!

I have particular memories of “Don’t Stop Me Now” from our son-in-laws stag weekend. We went to Blackpool and on the Saturday night went on a pub crawl. We found ourselves in the Manchester Bar with sticky floors, glass underfoot and wall to wall totty! As we walked in they put on Don’t Stop Me Now and the place exploded. Everyone dancing and singing. We had a great time in there, but after the end of Queen, it seemed to calm down a bit…

Knebworth. My company was a supplier of catering and seating equipment for hospitality to the concerts between 1974 and 1990 along with others. Part of the “Hippy Generation” we were lucky enough to get free and unhindered entrance to Knebworth. Queen, Genesis, Rolling Stones and Led Zeppelin were all quite fantastic. One of the hidden gems was a band called “The Atlanta Rhythm Section” we thought we would go get a drink during their set, started to walk away from the stage area and immediately turned round again. They were fantastic.

One of the worst for us from any of the concerts was Devo! In fact they had a 45 minute set but left the stage after 20 minutes. They complained that they were rained off the stage by empty beer cans from the people who couldn't see them. The guy from New Musical Express then asked them if they knew how far you can throw an empty beer can!!

Anyway, enough memories, better get some work done!

over a year ago

Theres not alot of people i cry over when die apart from family and friends but i did him. Feddy i felt was part of my life his music seeing him on tv seeing hin live. I know strange but thats how i felt. and whos music do i have on now , lol xx Erotic full of passion, love, full of everything.

By *umourCouple
over a year ago

Northants

"Theres not alot of people i cry over when die apart from family and friends but i did him. Feddy i felt was part of my life his music seeing him on tv seeing hin live. I know strange but thats how i felt. and whos music do i have on now , lol xx Erotic full of passion, love, full of everything."

You are not alone in that Jo, he was unique in that he seemed to "touch" all his fans with a whisper of love as well as being a raunchy guy! A man for all reasons... But lets not forget the other members of Queen. Brian May, Roger Taylor and John Deacon. Freddy was great, but he had three great musicians backing him up...

Thanks for the meomories guys

over a year ago

I love Queen, great band, great music. Freddie was special!

By *harpDressed ManMan
over a year ago

"They are putting up a statue of him in my home town as he lived there when he first moved to the uk. :D

Katie.

I never knew that.

Freddie was unique and was a superb showman. "

Feltham, not Derby, in case you're confused.

By *harpDressed ManMan
over a year ago

"

I'm sure I read somewhere that his "real" name was Farouk Bulsara, but family called him Freddy when he was young. Think he was born in Zanzibar. The question came up in a quiz, but I answered as above, and was told I was wrong, lol. Did I dream it?

All correct, although the spelling of Farouk does appear to be a moving feast.

Will contact you re: the CD tonight I expect"

Er. OK, I won't contact you. I can't say any more as I'm already on a warning!

*whistles innocently*

over a year ago

Just brought out my double CD + Double DVD collection of Freddie "Lover of life, Singer of songs" Ripped it to MP3 and now have it playing from my mobile phone into the car stereo system

Bloody amazing. Best song ? 1st track on CD1 called 'In My Defence' - blows me away every time I hear it

Post new Message to Thread