Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

WARNING - Snow on your car roof

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Just received a text from a Policeman friend of mine, there will be a clampdown tomorrow on drivers who do not clear the snow off the roofs of their cars, its a £60 fine and 3 points. He said it is also mentioned on the AA website.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *ig badMan
over a year ago

Up North :-)

Well if your out driving you should clear the roof, windows and boot and bonnet if you have anything about you anyway.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Your joking!...its freezing, little hole in the snow to look through is enough!

By *ig badMan
over a year ago

"Your joking!...its freezing, little hole in the snow to look through is enough!"

Mu mum does that! Its bloody terrifying when i am digging her out of the snow and she tries to run me over.

By *he_original_poloWoman
over a year ago

a Primark shoebox in Leicester

"Your joking!...its freezing, little hole in the snow to look through is enough!"

Nahhhhh... it was on the news the other day.

over a year ago

Cant get my breath.

over a year ago

"Just received a text from a Policeman friend of mine, there will be a clampdown tomorrow on drivers who do not clear the snow off the roofs of their cars, its a £60 fine and 3 points. He said it is also mentioned on the AA website. "

Strathclyde Police were so inundated with phone calls about this that they issued a press release this afternoon categorically denying that it was true.

By *emmefataleWoman
over a year ago

dirtybigbadsgirlville

"Cant get my breath. "
well stop with the asphyxiation play then ya dirty bugger

over a year ago

It never ceases to amaze me that one thing isn't illegal one day, but the next day it can carry a fine and points. What happened to making new laws through the Law Courts after a judicial review into it's legality?

Now, it appears, a white-collar worker can declare a crime to be a crime simply because they feel it should be so.

over a year ago

It never ceases to amaze me that everything on the internet is assumed to be true.

By *acreadCouple
over a year ago

central scotland

I dont think it was announced either but having said that snow on the roof can be considered a hazard and if a policeman wanted to apply the letter of the law then it could be a fine and points.

By *ig badMan
over a year ago

"It never ceases to amaze me that one thing isn't illegal one day, but the next day it can carry a fine and points. What happened to making new laws through the Law Courts after a judicial review into it's legality?

Now, it appears, a white-collar worker can declare a crime to be a crime simply because they feel it should be so."

I have no idea if its an actual offence but i do know if you don't fully clear your windows you can be pulled and done for not taking due care and attention.

By *he_original_poloWoman
over a year ago

a Primark shoebox in Leicester

"It never ceases to amaze me that everything on the internet is assumed to be true."

It was on the telly either yesterday or the day before. It didn't say about the fine and points, but it did say the police where going to be clamping down on people who didn't clear their car properly of snow because of the hazard to other drivers.

over a year ago

Humberside Police chip in with

"we urge all drivers to drive with care and ensure their vehicle is roadworthy before setting out.

If there is an excessive amount of snow on a vehicle's roof it could cause visibility problems if it shifts down over the windscreen of the vehicle or cause problems to other road users if it lands on their vehicle. Such a vehicle could be classed as being in a dangerous condition. There have been NO reports this week of anyone being prosecuted in relation to this."

over a year ago

Im not a car owner/driver but im presumming that its purely commen sense to clear ALL the snow off ones vehicle ???

How bloody stupid are some drivers i have seen out and about.

Not only a danger to themselves but also pedestrians as they can see fcuk all

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman
over a year ago

evesham

"It never ceases to amaze me that one thing isn't illegal one day, but the next day it can carry a fine and points. What happened to making new laws through the Law Courts after a judicial review into it's legality?

Now, it appears, a white-collar worker can declare a crime to be a crime simply because they feel it should be so.

I have no idea if its an actual offence but i do know if you don't fully clear your windows you can be pulled and done for not taking due care and attention."

i once had a (very low speed) crash because of not having a clear windscreen one very cold morning a few years ago

had to do a driver awareness course because of it

over a year ago

Oiiii

wheres ya sausage gone ?

over a year ago

evesham

"Oiiii

wheres ya sausage gone ? "

replaced it with a sparkly username thingy

its chrstmas - we have to have sparklies

over a year ago

Im sure harrods do sparkly sausage

over a year ago

evesham

"Im sure harrods do sparkly sausage "

its on my list for santa

By *habsMan
over a year ago

Fortress of Solitude, Middlesex

Now, it appears, a white-collar worker can declare a crime to be a crime simply because they feel it should be so."

Like Newspapers, by the time the validity is brought into question and proven unfounded, said white-collar feckless council official has pocketted a pretty penny in the name of local government.

over a year ago

to be serious folks

you should clear the snow off the roof as it can slip onto yourwindscreen and obscure your view !!! and it can also fly onto other road users windscreens....

so say the AA SO THERE !!!!!

over a year ago

evesham

yeah but it looks so pretty as it flies off the roof of a car or a lorry

over a year ago

At end december 2009 i was driving north bound on motorway about 20 miles south of Glesgae (Glasgow to those outside of beautiful Scotland) in lane 2 of 3. Traffic was steady due to fresh snow about 1/2 hour earlier, police reduced traffic to 50mph and motorway to two lanes (1 & 2). Suddenly what appeared to be a white blanket came floating through the air at quite a pace from the top of a lorry travelling south bound on the opposite side of couirse and in lane 1. Then THUD!!! It was a blanket of snow and i couldnt clear it for about five seconds as there was too much for my wipers to cope with initially but when it did i was laughing (with relief may i add) my heart was pounding, and i couldnt stop thinking out loud f**king hell, f**king hell! Thankyou to the driver next to me in lane 1 if he is on this site. He peeped his horn at me and gave me the thumbs up with a smile as if to ask if i was ok.

What am i trying to tell you all here? As has already been stated - USE COMMON SENSE. Take the snow of the roof - in fact every part of your car. It has to go somewhere. Use a soft brush to get it of the bodywork (roof etc). Leave the frozen stuff at the bottom if you wish as you may scratch your car getting it off i understand. But 3inches or 18inches of snow on the bonnet, roof or boot will move.

And this has come from a person who likes taking risks with his life hence 'Rather be scared to death, than bored to death'.

over a year ago

Like Newspapers, by the time the validity is brought into question and proven unfounded, said white-collar feckless council official has pocketted a pretty penny in the name of local government."

Relax. White collar workers CAN'T just invent crimes on a whim. Some local government officers can write up the details of local by laws on instruction from elected members after appropriate deliberations, but there's no scope for minor civil servants making it up on the hoof.

By *ngieandMrManCouple
over a year ago

hereford

It is an offence to operate a vehicle on a public road unsafely. So if your visibility is obscured for any reason, such as snow, frost, mud, the body of the person you just run down, you could be in trouble with the law.

If ANYTHING falls off your vehicle, a wheel, your luggage, snow, your mother-in-law and causes a problem to any person, animal, object you could be in trouble with the law. You can end up in trouble if anything is not secured properly, such as luggage that hasn't fallen off but looks like it might!

Drive through a puddle and splash water on a pedestrian! If they get your number and complain to the police... you're in trouble!

Such laws have always been in place, its only a matter of if you are reported or not that makes the difference. One of the problems with things like the mobile phone driving law, it misleads people to think that if there isn't a specific law then its not illegal! The phone law was brought in to make it easy to prosecute drivers but its always been covered by 'driving without due care and attention'. Typically such things would only be progressed if it actually caused an accident but the way of things now is, 'if it might' cause an accident there is a high risk of prosecution if reported, they will always find a label (law) to cover it.

By *ansue35Couple
over a year ago

yorkshire

Me and Ian nearly died one year when a lorry with a lot of snow on the roof we where passing on the motorway.

The snow blow off and covered the car I was driving could not see a thing.

two police cars where on the next bridge. As had to stop to have a heart attack.

One police ca stopped by us and checked we where all right the other stopped the lorry and he got a fine and points.

Its only takes a few minutes to clear your car of snow, so take the time please its not safe to drive with snow on your car.

Please please

Post new Message to Thread