Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Panorama

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

do you think that the panorama programme broadcast last night about bribery and corruption amonst FIFA officials will harm Englands chances of hosting the 2018 world cup??

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

yes

over a year ago

It was a twattish programme by a fossil of a reporter who seemed to be peeved because FIFA had banned him from their premises. It was like a grudge investigation.

Having said that, if FIFA officials are corrupt then they should be investigated but the timing of this broadcast by the BBC was very poor and I think the BBC were trying to undermine the coalition government (it will be levied at the govt at some point in the future that they failed to secure the world cup).

This programme could have been aired at any time but the BBC chose to broadcast it THREE DAYS before the vote. What does that tell you?

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

I think if England were going to lose the bid it would have decided long, long ago.....about the time the fat brown envelopes were pushed across dining tables actually..........

over a year ago

"I think if England were going to lose the bid it would have decided long, long ago.....about the time the fat brown envelopes were pushed across dining tables actually.........."

I was going to end my post with either we've already got the world cup and the panorama programme is irrelevant, or we haven't got it, in which case it's even more irrelevant.

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

I saw a thing about the guy from Trinidad, think he's number Two in Fifa?

Has an official income of around £60,000 a year yet owns Five houses and a hotel in Trinidad....with one villa worth nearly a million Dollars.

That was a couple of years ago, and I came to the conclusion then that it's one big fiddle.

over a year ago

"I saw a thing about the guy from Trinidad, think he's number Two in Fifa?

Has an official income of around £60,000 a year yet owns Five houses and a hotel in Trinidad....with one villa worth nearly a million Dollars.

That was a couple of years ago, and I came to the conclusion then that it's one big fiddle."

Jack Warner. He told the reporter he would spit on him but he wouldn't degrade his spit. What a thoroughly decent chap eh?

He was found guilty of illegally selling ten of thousands of tickets to the 2002 world cup and forced to hand over £1m to charity. And then he did it again in 2006.

This guy seems impervious to the laws FIFA have to guard against corruption - or else they're all at it.

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

"I saw a thing about the guy from Trinidad, think he's number Two in Fifa?

That was a couple of years ago, and I came to the conclusion then that it's one big fiddle.

Jack Warner. He told the reporter he would spit on him but he wouldn't degrade his spit. What a thoroughly decent chap eh?

He was found guilty of illegally selling ten of thousands of tickets to the 2002 world cup and forced to hand over £1m to charity. And then he did it again in 2006.

This guy seems impervious to the laws FIFA have to guard against corruption - or else they're all at it. "

I suspect your closing line is closer to the mark....they are all at it.

over a year ago

"do you think that the panorama programme broadcast last night about bribery and corruption amonst FIFA officials will harm Englands chances of hosting the 2018 world cup??

"

Yes.

The fallout will be interesting when the finger pointing starts.

By *uton_coupleCouple
over a year ago

luton

FIFA is rotten to the core

other sports have broken away from organisers that they are not happy with like darts

the answer is to start a new organisation that is free from corruption

all countrys that have facilitys good enough to host a world event should put there hat in the ring and the winner decided by balls in a bingo machine

what with all the fiddles and the fact they wont use technology to decide if a ball has gone over the line make FIFA a joke

the managers of the teams should get together and tell FIFA to go fuck themselves

By *uton_coupleCouple
over a year ago

luton

"FIFA is rotten to the core

other sports have broken away from organisers that they are not happy with like darts

the answer is to start a new organisation that is free from corruption

all countrys that have facilitys good enough to host a world event should put there hat in the ring and the winner decided by balls in a bingo machine

what with all the fiddles and the fact they wont use technology to decide if a ball has gone over the line make FIFA a joke

the managers of the teams should get together and tell FIFA to go fuck themselves "

looks possible we might boycott the game in russia , along with most other countries

it might only leave russia and qatar in the final !

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/3261474/War-on-FIFA-FA-lead-the-mutiny.html

By *harpDressed ManMan
over a year ago

Here occasionally, but mostly somewhere else

Qatar won't qualify for Russia.

The Sun is a rag.

Is "boycott" now a word for "fail to qualify"?

By *uton_coupleCouple
over a year ago

luton

"Qatar won't qualify for Russia.

The Sun is a rag.

Is "boycott" now a word for "fail to qualify"?"

when people are "empty" and or "devoid" of any rational arguement , they resort to the fact that information that was reported in the sun or the daily mail must be false etc

it seems to be trend that has burgeoned over the last few years

you might also resort to the tactic of rubbishing peoples arguement by calling them "racist" or "facist" when as i say you are devoid of any sensible response

this will make you feel internally sulubrious , unfortunately though everyone else will see through it and decide that it is not worth debating with you

DUUUUUUUUUUUUHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

over a year ago

Panorama report made no difference to the voting, i suspect the cash was in the officials swiss bank long ago. The cook report exploited FIFA 10years ago,FIFA officials are paid to go all over the world staying luxury hotels meeting corrupt businessmen fronting the the cost for developments who in turn mix with the countrys leaders because they are subsidising political voting campaigns, scratching each others backs so to speak. I for one had no doubt what so ever that we would not get the votes, sepp blatter and co dont like the English. I say stuff them and pull out of future voting, really no point unless we get as corrupt as the rest.

By *harpDressed ManMan
over a year ago

"Qatar won't qualify for Russia.

The Sun is a rag.

Is "boycott" now a word for "fail to qualify"?

when people are "empty" and or "devoid" of any rational arguement , they resort to the fact that information that was reported in the sun or the daily mail must be false etc

it seems to be trend that has burgeoned over the last few years

you might also resort to the tactic of rubbishing peoples arguement by calling them "racist" or "facist" when as i say you are devoid of any sensible response

this will make you feel internally sulubrious , unfortunately though everyone else will see through it and decide that it is not worth debating with you

DUUUUUUUUUUUUHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH"

Good point, although "internally salubrious" went right over my head.

Would you agree though that where something like this is only featured in one paper, that's a good indication that it's a story generated within the office of that paper?

Ps The Sun really IS a rag though...

By *harpDressed ManMan
over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 06/12/10 11:12:17]

over a year ago

"

looks possible we might boycott the game in russia , along with most other countries

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/3261474/War-on-FIFA-FA-lead-the-mutiny.html"

Your post is very misleading, no one from official channels, not even The Sun is saying we or anyone else is considering boycotting the Russia games, if a newspaper reported that I would have to agree with the other poster that they would be 'a rag'.

If we did boycott we'd be expelled from world football, some would back us but not many. All sensible commentators are arguing that we need to change FIFA from within, which is going to be very difficult but not impossible.

Remember the Champions League, that was changed by the G14 from within when UEFA wouldn't play ball. Look at the IOC.

By *uton_coupleCouple
over a year ago

luton

"

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/3261474/War-on-FIFA-FA-lead-the-mutiny.html

Your post is very misleading, no one from official channels, not even The Sun is saying we or anyone else is considering boycotting the Russia games, if a newspaper reported that I would have to agree with the other poster that they would be 'a rag'.

If we did boycott we'd be expelled from world football, some would back us but not many. All sensible commentators are arguing that we need to change FIFA from within, which is going to be very difficult but not impossible.

Remember the Champions League, that was changed by the G14 from within when UEFA wouldn't play ball. Look at the IOC. "

i said it looks like we MIGHT boycott the games in russia

what makes me think this might happen ?

Sky sources said England will withdraw from a friendly against Thailand planned for next June as a result of the vote.

The game was agreed to try to secure the support of Thailand's Fifa committee member but after failing to win that vote, it is understood the FA will pull out of the fixture.

longer story on sky news website indicates to me that thailand friendly game to be boycotted

many storys that appear in the sun or mail often also have coverage on bbc sky etc etc etc

it just suits some people to poo poo what you say just because it has appeared in the sun or mail as they have nothing sensible about the subject

god help those nincompoops if the sun or mail reports a volcano will erupt in the town where they live bacause they will go up in smoke in blissfull ignorance

By *harpDressed ManMan
over a year ago

"

it just suits some people to poo poo what you say just because it has appeared in the sun or mail as they have nothing sensible about the subject

god help those nincompoops if the sun or mail reports a volcano will erupt in the town where they live bacause they will go up in smoke in blissfull ignorance"

Brilliant.

On your original point - "most other countries" will not boycott the Russia WC - because they voted for it! England, Spain, Portugal are the ones potentially whining about it, and Spain as the current holders aren't going to kick up too much fuss.

Secondly, the possibility of not playing what was only ever a possible friendly against Thailand isn't the same as boycotting a World Cup is it?

...which leads on to the newspapers as rags tangent. In my opinion, The Sun is a rag. This is based on having read it occasionally over the years, and repeatedly spotted its twisting of the facts to sensationalise as much as possible. Which appears to have been what has happened in this case. A trick I use is to look for quotes from named sources (as opposed to "an onlooker said"), as everything else is usually drivel.

Is it ok for this nicompoop to call The Sun a rag now, or do I have to make more of a case? It would seem harsh if I did, as they print stuff that's a whole lot less reasoned...

By *acreadCouple
over a year ago

central scotland

It was always beyond me how anyone would buy and even actualy believe what was written in the comic called The Sun.

I recall an article claiming they had been talking to Frankie Howard about his pal Benny Hill who had just died but what they didnt know was that Frankie was already died when they were supposed to have had the interview.

Also a tv programme about journalist tore the Sun to shreds and one particular report was supposed to have been an interview with a prominent American phsyciatrist allegedly saying all sorts of malicious things about Tony Benn.

The phsyciatrist said he had never heard of the Sun and didnt have much clue who Tony Benn was but he did say that Tony should sue the Sun for the lies written about him in his name.

Basically if its in the Sun its a BIG LIE.

Post new Message to Thread