Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Has any one been to Tunisia

Jump to newest

By *oe_Steve_NWest OP   Couple
over a year ago

Bolton

in December? We're thinking of going on Boxing day for a week, haven't been before so any advice gratefully received! Z

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman
over a year ago

evesham

best advice a tour guide gave me

careful....careful....peeeeek pockits

Tunisia can be a lovely place but have your wits about you, haggling is expected when bing things and every shop keeper will try to charm you into heir shops

oh and camels smell

over a year ago

Bolton

"best advice a tour guide gave me

careful....careful....peeeeek pockits

Tunisia can be a lovely place but have your wits about you, haggling is expected when bing things and every shop keeper will try to charm you into heir shops

oh and camels smell "

lol - thanks, we're just looking around and there are some good offers for tunisia, Z

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

We got back from there a couple of weeks ago. Not been in December though.

over a year ago

Bolton

"We got back from there a couple of weeks ago. Not been in December though."

What was it like? It's looking pretty good to us but it's good to hear from people who have been. Z

over a year ago

We really enjoyed it. We didn't venture out of the hotel unless we were on a guided excursion however if I went back there again then I definately would.

We didn't feel unsafe there at all and were told that the crime rates are actually pretty low and also that it tends to be tourists who commit what little crime there is.

Tipping is a huge part of the culture there. 50p is considered fair (1 dinar). Watch for the guys at the airport who want to take your bags though as they demand a higher tip.

The sunsets over the Sahara are truly amazing. We did an overnight excursion which was alot of time spent on a coach with various stop offs for activities and meals however we got to see so much that we thought it was really good.

If you want to hire a car it's generally advised to also hire the driver. Driving is chaotic to say the least.

There are fixed price shops and other shops where you can haggle. Generally we'd go into the fixed price stores to see what they were charging and then go into the other stores to get it cheaper.

I just asked the Husband what he would say to someone considering going to Tunisia. His contribution is 'it's great and do the sahara thing'

over a year ago

Oh and it's a controlled currency so you can't buy it before you go. The exchange rate is set by the Government and is the same everywhere so it's quite OK to change your travellers cheques/cash at the hotels.

You also have to sell it back at the airport (you can't do it anywhere else), before you go home.

It's recommended to change 'little and often' too as there's limits to how much you can change back at the end. Keep all your exchange receipts too as they'll ask for these when you change it back to GBP.

over a year ago

Bolton

Thats brilliant, thanks very much and we'll probably be booking tonight or tomorrow! Z

over a year ago

Where about are you thinking of going?

over a year ago

Bolton

Still researching - Monastir looking favourite at the moment - the all inclusive hotels look good and within our budget - 3 - 4 and 5 stars so will need to decide - flying from east midlands is also loads cheaper than manchester! Z

over a year ago

We went through Monastir on the sahara trip. I don't think we stopped there though.

We stayed all inclusive in Port El Kantaoui. It was nice but I think if I went again I'd stay somewhere a bit closer to a main town.

That just goes to show how much we liked it, I've never been anywhere twice however would definately go back there!

over a year ago

Bolton

"We went through Monastir on the sahara trip. I don't think we stopped there though.

We stayed all inclusive in Port El Kantaoui. It was nice but I think if I went again I'd stay somewhere a bit closer to a main town.

That just goes to show how much we liked it, I've never been anywhere twice however would definately go back there!"

Well that clinches it then if you'd go back, that's always a very good sign. Getting excited now as we've been lookig for days! Z

over a year ago

I'm the same with everything. I can only read a book once, only watch a movie once.

Something has to be really good to make me want to revisit.

Horses for courses of course but we both loved it there.

By *ig badMan
over a year ago

Up North :-)

"in December? We're thinking of going on Boxing day for a week, haven't been before so any advice gratefully received! Z"

Its ok, its inexpensive compared with some places, food is ok if your gregarious and the people are fine as long as your respectful dress wise in public. Beer.....Ahh well hotels only but hey that's not bad Port El K is one of the better spots but if you get a 4/5 * hotel it will be ok. Weather at that time i am not sure, always been for a last min thing in Sept/oct my self.

over a year ago

I went to Skanes, lovely place, would have been better without my ex

over a year ago

Bolton

"in December? We're thinking of going on Boxing day for a week, haven't been before so any advice gratefully received! Z

Its ok, its inexpensive compared with some places, food is ok if your gregarious and the people are fine as long as your respectful dress wise in public. Beer.....Ahh well hotels only but hey that's not bad Port El K is one of the better spots but if you get a 4/5 * hotel it will be ok. Weather at that time i am not sure, always been for a last min thing in Sept/oct my self."

Thanks, chatty and will wear long skirts and long sleeves - looks like it's a goer! Z

over a year ago

Bolton

"I went to Skanes, lovely place, would have been better without my ex "

lol - thanks, sorry he spoilt it! Z

over a year ago

Went to Sousse a long time ago now got foo d poisioning put me off going back, hope you enjoy. The beach was the best i have ever seen or been on have to say

over a year ago

"in December? We're thinking of going on Boxing day for a week, haven't been before so any advice gratefully received! Z"

"Shali Shali Dak Dak" means "how much for the rug?"

By *HAGADELICCouple
over a year ago

south london

Depends what you want if you want an inexpensive mediterrranean beach holiday it's good value for money.

If you like more "travelling" looking at old buildings, haggling in markets eating local food,generally soaking up atmosphere then Tunisia can be a bit of a disappointmment particluarly if you have been to places like Morocco Egypt or even say Syria.

If it's your first time there that's different but if you go there expecting the liveliness and buzz you get in say Marrakech it will seem a poor second.

The Tunisian people are polite a little serious we found ( certainly in the cities like Tunis and Sousse)

As for safety etc no problem we caught the ordinary tunisian train from Tunis to Sousse and El Djem and it was great trip.

YOu should go definitely and see El Djem which is a Roman ampitheatre and where bits of Monty Pythons life of Brian were shot

We enjoyed the trip but wouldn't go again whereas we would do Morocco again

over a year ago

Bolton

Thanks Shagadelic, we're not really expecting it to be that busy at this time of year but we really need a rest and abit of sun! We've been to Egypt a few times and Steve lived in the Middle East for several years so he knows the score there! We don't really want to spend more than 1k as all we'll be doing it eating, sleeping and shagging with a bit of sun (hopefuly) thrown in too! Z

over a year ago

we went to hammamett last week in nov/1st week december on a cheapie...weather was warm,was able to sunbathe around the pool but the water was bloody freezing...everything in tunisia is really hotel based and we found it safe to wander about,the tunisians are a very polite people...plenty of bargains to be had if you haggle

...also there is a new airport opened near hammamett that saves on the 1&half to 2 hour coach trip from monastir..

sister has been to yasmin hammamet and skanes and loved it both times...and we'd also go back

over a year ago

Bolton

Thats great, thank you, I haveto say we've had some cracking advice on the thread. Z

over a year ago

agree with whats been said.its less expensive than your typical spanish holiday but then again,we found it not as nice.it reminded me of turkey to be honest,and i didnt go back to tunisia or turkey,but have been to spain about ten times.one thing to be aware of is the hotel ratings.elaine booked a 5 star hotel half board for my 30th acouple of years ago.ok 8 years ago,lol.i would reckon it was about 3 star quality back home.the food was ok but not great.depending on what you are looking for,and if you have the money,i would hugely recommend somewhere like lanzerote.hope i didnt sound like i was bashing tunisia,i didnt mean to,but was being honest.the staff and any locals we met were very very friendly by the way,and even when we ventured outside of hotel complex,we never felt nervous or in any danger at all as some had predicted.and alcohol wasnt a problem either,although a strict muslim country.

over a year ago

"I went to Skanes, lovely place, would have been better without my ex

lol - thanks, sorry he spoilt it! Z"

I will have to find a nice man to take me there again

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

little house on the praire

Ive never been but i did a topic on tunisia when i was about ten at school i could hunt it out for you

By *hite SnakeMan
over a year ago

leeds

We've been twice loveley place lots of history and sights. we did a 3 day sahara trip really good toured a lot of film sets (star wars,the english patient. Had a day in Monastir where the life of brian was filmed at the Rabat. The people are friendly shops no worse than turkey for haggling tuktuks are the cheapest transport we're planning on booking again for 2011.

over a year ago

Bolton

"Ive never been but i did a topic on tunisia when i was about ten at school i could hunt it out for you "

lol - go on then! Z

over a year ago

Bolton

"We've been twice loveley place lots of history and sights. we did a 3 day sahara trip really good toured a lot of film sets (star wars,the english patient. Had a day in Monastir where the life of brian was filmed at the Rabat. The people are friendly shops no worse than turkey for haggling tuktuks are the cheapest transport we're planning on booking again for 2011."

Thanks, we have probably decided to go now - either there or Blackpool!

over a year ago

Hello!

We are booking a holiday in Tunisia for early March. We were wondering if there are any more people who have been that would like to let us know what it was like?

Thanks in advance,

Sarah and Mat x

over a year ago

Been to Tunisia and probably wouldn't go back.Egypt on the other hand is great

over a year ago

Well, what was it like then?

over a year ago

"Been to Tunisia and probably wouldn't go back.Egypt on the other hand is great"

How come? xx

By *andKCouple
over a year ago

Norfolk

Been to Tunisa twice and Egypt more times than we care to remember, have to say (despite the recent troubles) Egyptians in general much friendlier people in our experience.

By *etillanteWoman
over a year ago

Been to Cairo and The Nile in a few occasions and off to Sharm in a month. And yes the Egyptian people are very friendly

over a year ago

have been to tunisia a few times , the thing to remember is that tunisia is about 30 yrs behind most countries , and is a muslim country , you will find that the average tunisians idea of european women is that they are all sluts , so be careful of how you dress when your out and about outside of the hotels etc , theres plenty to see in Monastir or Sidi bu said , the thing I disliked personally was the abject poverty of many people and the lack of schooling for the majority of the children who spend their days in the markets trying to sell trinkets to the tourists .

Post new Message to Thread