Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Proven right!!!

Jump to newest

By *eizvoll OP   Woman
over a year ago

in my own little world :-)

I've been saying for months now that my little boy (4 years old) has a hearing problem - but everyone else (family and friends) has been telling me that it's just selective hearing. The school haven't noticed and the doctor wasn't sure!

I've pushed and finally got a hearing test for him this afternoon - and it turns out that he has significantly reduced hearing in his left ear. He now has to be referred to ENT, and until then I don't know what can or can't be done.

The good news is, he's young so it shouldn't have any permanent effect on his development.

But - this is one of those times I wish I'd been wrong

Sometimes though - Mums do know best!!

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"I've been saying for months now that my little boy (4 years old) has a hearing problem - but everyone else (family and friends) has been telling me that it's just selective hearing. The school haven't noticed and the doctor wasn't sure!

I've pushed and finally got a hearing test for him this afternoon - and it turns out that he has significantly reduced hearing in his left ear. He now has to be referred to ENT, and until then I don't know what can or can't be done.

The good news is, he's young so it shouldn't have any permanent effect on his development.

But - this is one of those times I wish I'd been wrong

Sometimes though - Mums do know best!! "

yes mums always know and understand.

well done you x

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

little house on the praire

My son had severe hearing problems, it wasnt picked up until he was about 7 as he was born with a submucas cleft palete so that caused a speach impediment. Instead of saying he couldnt hear he would sit really close to the televison. He also suffered ear infections.

They have a small operation to insert what they call gromits and that usually sorts them out, my son had to have it done three times but now hes an adult he has no hearing problems and his speech is almost perfect.

This is really common in boys

Forum Mod

over a year ago

yes a mums instinct should'nt be ignored

I hope that it all turns out ok and that its not going to cause him too many problems in the long term

Children are very resiliant and can cope really well xx

By *iewMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Angus & Findhorn

he has a great mum looking out for him xx

well done x

over a year ago

no one knows their own child better then mum hope all goes well and you get it sorted

over a year ago

I had this issue with both my boys when they were little. No one really noticed anything and just put it down to selective hearing and late developing as their speech was behind others to. I am glad I nagged cause after tests, they both had to have gromits put in and also speech therapy.

Alls fine now except my one son who is nearly 14 and his speech has reverted to Neanderthal time and grunts a lot, just like he did when before the gromits!

By *eizvoll OP   Woman
over a year ago

in my own little world :-)

Thanks for the messages, we'll just deal with what ever happens when it happens

Post new Message to Thread