Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Platini & FIFA

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

So Platini has announced his intention to stand as President. The same Platini who voted for a Qatar world cup in the 48c heat of summer, the same Platini whose son works for Qatar, the same Platini who has made a mess of UEFA. For the sake of football can we not find someone principled, competent and able to look after the game loved by billions who is above the corruption and mediocrity which is endemic in the sport?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *uckoo clockCouple
over a year ago

Merseyside

"So Platini has announced his intention to stand as President. The same Platini who voted for a Qatar world cup in the 48c heat of summer, the same Platini whose son works for Qatar, the same Platini who has made a mess of UEFA. For the sake of football can we not find someone principled, competent and able to look after the game loved by billions who is above the corruption and mediocrity

which is endemic in the sport? "

As my late father used to say " The game is not straight". He was referring to life in general bit never as true as when applied to the beautiful game !!

over a year ago

"So Platini has announced his intention to stand as President. The same Platini who voted for a Qatar world cup in the 48c heat of summer, the same Platini whose son works for Qatar, the same Platini who has made a mess of UEFA. For the sake of football can we not find someone principled, competent and able to look after the game loved by billions who is above the corruption and mediocrity

which is endemic in the sport?

As my late father used to say " The game is not straight". He was referring to life in general bit never as true as when applied to the beautiful game !!"

You are so true, have seen corruption at the highest level first hand and it shocked me.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

At least Platini was openly adamant about keeping his "free" world Cup watch unlike our own representative who was quietly keeping his up and until the news broke cover when he declared he "was" going to return his.

Unwise to think the FA were squeaky clean in their tactics to win the World Cup bid.

over a year ago

"

At least Platini was openly adamant about keeping his "free" world Cup watch unlike our own representative who was quietly keeping his up and until the news broke cover when he declared he "was" going to return his.

Unwise to think the FA were squeaky clean in their tactics to win the World Cup bid.

"

The FA and Premier League are far from clean in anything they do, particularly when it comes to selling the TV rights.

If I were the major sponsors of FIFA I would be pushing for an independent Board to bring in someone with the proper credentials who can manage the organisation with proper governance and transparency. The whole voting process is fundamentally flawed as shown by how long Blatter has lasted.

over a year ago

"

The FA and Premier League are far from clean in anything they do, particularly when it comes to selling the TV rights.

If I were the major sponsors of FIFA I would be pushing for an independent Board to bring in someone with the proper credentials who can manage the organisation with proper governance and transparency. The whole voting process is fundamentally flawed as shown by how long Blatter has lasted."

Yeah, like the US conglomerate Coca Cola were a few weeks back?

Maybe they could have a look at how the 2026 TV rights have already been allocated, guess what, to a US conglomerate.

Surely, the only driver to football corrupting itself is money and the personal greed that ensues?

over a year ago

"

If I were the major sponsors of FIFA I would be pushing for an independent Board to bring in someone with the proper credentials who can manage the organisation with proper governance and transparency. The whole voting process is fundamentally flawed as shown by how long Blatter has lasted.

Yeah, like the US conglomerate Coca Cola were a few weeks back?

Maybe they could have a look at how the 2026 TV rights have already been allocated, guess what, to a US conglomerate.

Surely, the only driver to football corrupting itself is money and the personal greed that ensues?

"

Yep money and power often leads to corruption. The whole organisation needs ripping up and starting again. One thing for sure, Platini is not the right man.

over a year ago

Quite agree, but then who is?

Isn't one of the FA's beefs that they get less income than they "deserve" because FIFA allocates income and votes to all it's members, including the tiny ones. Precisely as FIFA should do.

over a year ago

"

Quite agree, but then who is?

Isn't one of the FA's beefs that they get less income than they "deserve" because FIFA allocates income and votes to all it's members, including the tiny ones. Precisely as FIFA should do. "

The problem is the lack of transparency about where the money goes and what it is used for, as shown by the US investigation into corruption.

FIFA should be allocating money to all footballing countries, and should ensure that money is genuinely used for grassroots. If I was FIFA I would be telling the FA and Premier League to get its own house in order. 5% of TV money was supposed to go towards grassroots here in the UK and it has never got anywhere near 1%.

I would appoint a senior Board with representation from around the world with the mandate to find the best possible candidate, probably from the world of business, with a first class track record and a total love of the game.

over a year ago

Platini is a joke

over a year ago

"Platini is a joke"

The problem is, with enough promises of enough cash to various small countries who can vote, he will likely end up as a President. Until this farcical voting system is ended we will end up with knobs like Blatter and Platini running the game.

By *obbytupperMan
over a year ago

Menston near Ilkley

Has Blair applied yet? Seems right up his street!

over a year ago

"Has Blair applied yet? Seems right up his street! "

Fits all the criteria....perfect!

Post new Message to Thread