Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Are Zoos cruel?

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

I once work as a voluntary keeper in a Zoo. I was about 18 at the time and thought I would love it because of being an animal lover. But after a while I began to see clearly that the animals were in a kind of prison. I worked with small mammals, and wondered how animals like the monkeys could live being confined to such a small space, especially considering the distances they go vertically and horizontally in their native habits.

Zoos are now seen as important for the survival of many species, but will they ever actually repopulate the wild with any of the offspring? part of me sees them as an important part of conservation and education, but I can`t get over the fact that animals that are used to wandering for hundreds of miles in the wild are confined to a paddock of square metres.

Your thoughts please.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *bi HaiveMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Cheeseville, Somerset

I guess they get eaten by other animals and shot by hunters less often.

Every cloud.

A

By *layfullsamMan
over a year ago

Solihull

You have a great point and I wish we would let zoo animals roam free in this country as it would make your average day so much more interesting and exciting.

Would be great if you were to come across a elephant in the high street for example and its got to be better for there sense of mind than being cooped up all day

over a year ago

"You have a great point and I wish we would let zoo animals roam free in this country as it would make your average day so much more interesting and exciting.

Would be great if you were to come across a elephant in the high street for example and its got to be better for there sense of mind than being cooped up all day"

Don`t think that would go down too well, lol,but you`ve made a valid point, what would happen to them all, they would be put to sleep probably, they wouldn`t last a minute in their natural habitat.

over a year ago

"I guess they get eaten by other animals and shot by hunters less often.

Every cloud.

A"

Imprisonment for your own security, sound familiar?

By *layfullsamMan
over a year ago

Solihull

"You have a great point and I wish we would let zoo animals roam free in this country as it would make your average day so much more interesting and exciting.

Would be great if you were to come across a elephant in the high street for example and its got to be better for there sense of mind than being cooped up all day

Don`t think that would go down too well, lol,but you`ve made a valid point, what would happen to them all, they would be put to sleep probably, they wouldn`t last a minute in their natural habitat."

You could still have keepers to feed them and slowly get them used to fending for themselves(they would just have to find them in the first place)

They could survive as the house of commons proves that a load of chimpanzees do ok out of captivity

By *rsIdiotWoman
over a year ago

Bedworth

There are many species which are on the verge of extinction in the wild. Without zoos and their breeding programmes they will soon be completely extinct. Something that I'm sure all of us do not want to see happen

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Compared to refugee camps zoos are positively luxurious places of residence ......

Those are my thoughts.....

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

Is this dejas vu where I ask if the loss elephants matter to the planet ?

over a year ago

We went to a wildlife park recently and many of the animals were seriously endangered...

Most zoos over here now have to keep to strict standards.. And enclosures have to be there to provide a valued life.

It's sad to think that some of the animals we see today in the zoo will soon only be available to see in zoos.

Conservation is important.. the lions at the park I went to had been rescued from a zoo where they were kept in terrible conditions. Now they have a nice enclosure.

And I do not think they are cruel but actually a sad reminder that we need zoos.

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

"Compared to refugee camps zoos are positively luxurious places of residence ......

Those are my thoughts..... "

Google Japan Zoo Elephant Swim Pool or something similar!

It beats Knowsley Safari Park hands down.

By *udsey2015Couple
over a year ago

PONTYPOOL

Depends largely on the quality of the zoo etc - I know London Zoo has done fantastic work in breeding and repatriating many species that were close to extinction in the wild but will now survive thanks to them

over a year ago

Don`t think that would go down too well, lol,but you`ve made a valid point, what would happen to them all, they would be put to sleep probably, they wouldn`t last a minute in their natural habitat.

You could still have keepers to feed them and slowly get them used to fending for themselves(they would just have to find them in the first place)

They could survive as the house of commons proves that a load of chimpanzees do ok out of captivity"

Too massive a task. I have always wanted to let a pride of Lions loose in the house of commons, two great minds and all that.

over a year ago

"Compared to refugee camps zoos are positively luxurious places of residence ......

It beats Knowsley Safari Park hands down."

Hmmmmm...... wonders if there is such a thing as Elephant Sushi.....and if not is it worth pitching it on Dragons Den.......

Oh..... and do the Elephants wear swimming costumes .....

By *layfullsamMan
over a year ago

Solihull

Hmmmmm...... wonders if there is such a thing as Elephant Sushi.....and if not is it worth pitching it on Dragons Den.......

Oh..... and do the Elephants wear swimming costumes ..... "

elephants always carry there trunks with them for swimming

over a year ago

"We went to a wildlife park recently and many of the animals were seriously endangered...

Most zoos over here now have to keep to strict standards.. And enclosures have to be there to provide a valued life.

It's sad to think that some of the animals we see today in the zoo will soon only be available to see in zoos.

Conservation is important.. the lions at the park I went to had been rescued from a zoo where they were kept in terrible conditions. Now they have a nice enclosure.

And I do not think they are cruel but actually a sad reminder that we need zoos. "

Was that Yorkshire Wildlife Park? They do some excellent work. I went a couple of weeks ago to see the baby Tigers, they are hoping that the next generation will be placed in enclosures in Russia to be eventually released into the wild.

over a year ago

They could survive as the house of commons proves that a load of chimpanzees do ok out of captivity

Too massive a task. I have always wanted to let a pride of Lions loose in the house of commons, two great minds and all that. "

Snails and slugs should be behind bars

Zoos give people the chance to experience beautiful creatures, they would otherwise, never have the privilege to see.

I am swayed slightly by the notion, of conservation, but caged? Unsure if that's the right word? For our gratification, I doubt it.

over a year ago

"Depends largely on the quality of the zoo etc - I know London Zoo has done fantastic work in breeding and repatriating many species that were close to extinction in the wild but will now survive thanks to them"

London Zoo is where I was a voluntary keeper, in the mammal pavilion, they have moved on since then, they have a mini rainforest in the pavilion now where some animals are put together.

over a year ago

elephants always carry there trunks with them for swimming"

Yes Sam...... yes they do...... ! although I suspect you googled that fact....

over a year ago

British zoos are actually pretty good. They genuinely care for the animals which are protected by all kinds of laws and regulations

I went to a zoo when I lived in China. I could have cried.

Pandas stuffed into cages only just bigger than them, dirty unclean pens, clearly distressed animals.

It was disgusting.

over a year ago

Too massive a task. I have always wanted to let a pride of Lions loose in the house of commons, two great minds and all that.

Zoos give people the chance to experience beautiful creatures, they would otherwise, never have the privilege to see.

I am swayed slightly by the notion, of conservation, but caged? Unsure if that's the right word? For our gratification, I doubt it.

"

That was the original idea behind Zoos, but they have moved in a more positive direction now as you say.

Turn it in with the Slugs and Snails, otherwise I'll march upon you with a great S and S army, and slime you ass!

By *layfullsamMan
over a year ago

Solihull

Yes Sam...... yes they do...... ! although I suspect you googled that fact.... "

No need for mr google on that one my mind is full of useless trivia on elephants from my schooldays I know what time it is when one sits on your fence, how to know when ones been in your fridge etc

over a year ago

"British zoos are actually pretty good. They genuinely care for the animals which are protected by all kinds of laws and regulations

I went to a zoo when I lived in China. I could have cried.

Pandas stuffed into cages only just bigger than them, dirty unclean pens, clearly distressed animals.

It was disgusting. "

I agree, quite a few animals in the UK have been rescued from bad Zoos, the poor animals are scared when the walk into such an open space in the UK for the first time, but in a short period of time, they start to lose that "Prisoner " look.

over a year ago

That was the original idea behind Zoos, but they have moved in a more positive direction now as you say.

Turn it in with the Slugs and Snails, otherwise I'll march upon you with a great S and S army, and slime you ass! "

Ull never get in, theres a moat of saxa surrounding my abode

over a year ago

Yes Sam...... yes they do...... ! although I suspect you googled that fact....

No need for mr google on that one my mind is full of useless trivia on elephants from my schooldays I know what time it is when one sits on your fence, how to know when ones been in your fridge etc"

over a year ago

Turn it in with the Slugs and Snails, otherwise I'll march upon you with a great S and S army, and slime you ass!

Ull never get in, theres a moat of saxa surrounding my abode

"

But I have super slugs that can fly.

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

elephants always carry there trunks with them for swimming"

Well suprise suprise you two .... nelly was Nekkid !!!

By *angerousEyesMan
over a year ago

weston

You have to question zoo's purpose. Great for education ect, but many claim they keep and breed animals in case they become extinct. How many zoo's actually release animals back into the wild? Or will in the future? How many species are suitable for release after being born in captivity? By there own admission many animals that are raised in captivity will not and can not be released into the wild. On reflection they are just there to make money, plenty of people with the best of intensions work there but ultimately they are contributing to their suffering.

By *uby0000Woman
over a year ago

hertfordshire

I don't mind zoos if the animals are well looked after but I went to spain once and this poor tiger was pacing up and down .. he did not have enough room..... poor thing

over a year ago

"You have to question zoo's purpose. Great for education ect, but many claim they keep and breed animals in case they become extinct. How many zoo's actually release animals back into the wild? Or will in the future? How many species are suitable for release after being born in captivity? By there own admission many animals that are raised in captivity will not and can not be released into the wild. On reflection they are just there to make money, plenty of people with the best of intensions work there but ultimately they are contributing to their suffering."

Some animals have been successfully released, but not many. The captive breeding programme in China for Pandas has bred hundreds of babies over the years, and not one has ever been released into the wild, due to loss of suitable habitat, so now all those pandas will just live in captivity, pointless. The Amur Leopards were down to only 25 left in the wild, conservation work has brought the numbers up to about 70 since the 90s, the captive breeding programme is hoping to release the offspring of the next generation into the wild, they have centres with fenced off habitat ready in Parts of Russia to reintroduce them to the climate and prey in that region. But I feel no animal should be in captivity for the sole purpose of human interest.

over a year ago

"You have to question zoo's purpose. Great for education ect, but many claim they keep and breed animals in case they become extinct. How many zoo's actually release animals back into the wild? Or will in the future? How many species are suitable for release after being born in captivity? By there own admission many animals that are raised in captivity will not and can not be released into the wild. On reflection they are just there to make money, plenty of people with the best of intensions work there but ultimately they are contributing to their suffering."

google the financial reports for most zoos and wildlife parks and you will realise that without the fact that people pay to see the animals that are there.. that none of the amazing conservation work would be possible.

SO yes, while they are there to make money.. its not a hugely profiting company and many have to rely on fundraising to complete big projects.

I know that some of the animals you see at zoos are retired from breeding programs and living out the rest of their lives in as much comfort as we can give them...

Without zoos many animals would have long ago become extinct... If you take time at zoos you can read about which animals have had babies and where they have gone etc.. or where they have come from.

The sad thing is that many of them cant be released into the wild as the wild is no longer there.

Post new Message to Thread