Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Citroën ds3 or ds4 cars

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

I'm thinking of buying one of these... thoughts from anyone who has one or had one....

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

I have a golden rule when it comes to buying cars - DONT buy French. They'll work for a brief period of time and then devour your wallet and soul.

This comes from someone who only drives Alfa Romeo anymore.

By *iewMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Angus & Findhorn

are they the ones you get in funky colours

over a year ago

"I have a golden rule when it comes to buying cars - DONT buy French. They'll work for a brief period of time and then devour your wallet and soul.

This comes from someone who only drives Alfa Romeo anymore."

Don't buy French crap - poor engines, crap bodies and they stink of smugness

By *iewMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Angus & Findhorn

" and they stink of smugness "

I am even more drawn to it

over a year ago

We have a C4 lovely car very good on fuel too

over a year ago

"I have a golden rule when it comes to buying cars - DONT buy French. They'll work for a brief period of time and then devour your wallet and soul.

Don't buy French crap - poor engines, crap bodies and they stink of smugness "

Oh c'mon.... surely even the most ardent anti-French car fan melts their resistance when faced with the automotive magnificence that is the utterly sublime Chapron Citroen DS convertible .....

By *om and JennieCouple
over a year ago

Chams or Socials

I'm on my 2nd C3 & love it. My friend just picked up a brand new DS3 Cabriolet. It is really nice. But only has 2 doors so not ideal for a family

over a year ago

Oh c'mon.... surely even the most ardent anti-French car fan melts their resistance when faced with the automotive magnificence that is the utterly sublime Chapron Citroen DS convertible ..... "

Just googled it, and - wow, that's one butt-ugly car

over a year ago

I've driven them for work, seem economic and hire companies wouldn't use them if they were THAT bad. I wouldn't worry about opinions, just ensure its been well maintained and serviced regularly and you'll be fine!

over a year ago

"I've driven them for work, seem economic and hire companies wouldn't use them if they were THAT bad. I wouldn't worry about opinions, just ensure its been well maintained and serviced regularly and you'll be fine!"

over a year ago

"I'm on my 2nd C3 & love it. My friend just picked up a brand new DS3 Cabriolet. It is really nice. But only has 2 doors so not ideal for a family "

over a year ago

Oh c'mon.... surely even the most ardent anti-French car fan melts their resistance when faced with the automotive magnificence that is the utterly sublime Chapron Citroen DS convertible .....

Just googled it, and - wow, that's one butt-ugly car "

Oh C'mon..... tell the truth.... you know you want one...... yeah ya do..... you know you do.... yeah ya really-really do....

over a year ago

I got a DS3 Dsport+ blue hdi on a 15 plate and it's fecking awesome. It's like a little go kart and over 200lbsft of torque means it shifts. Thanks to 6 spd gearbox I get on average 55 round town and 73 on long run. Done 1300 miles on my recent holiday and only used a tank and a half....works out about 80 quid. So well equipped and kooks great too. Message me if you need to know anything about them

over a year ago

"I got a DS3 Dsport+ blue hdi on a 15 plate and it's fecking awesome. It's like a little go kart and over 200lbsft of torque means it shifts. Thanks to 6 spd gearbox I get on average 55 round town and 73 on long run. Done 1300 miles on my recent holiday and only used a tank and a half....works out about 80 quid. So well equipped and kooks great too. Message me if you need to know anything about them "

over a year ago

If you're stuck on the Citroen there's a few things to bear in mind before choosing which model to go for.

Do you drive enough miles each year to warrant a diesel? If it's less than 15k miles per year or little motorway driving I'd suggest you're better off with a small petrol engine or you'll constantly have issues with the EGR valve, MAP sensor, swirl flaps and DPF, all of them are prone to clogging due to sooty deposits from diesel fuel, only the DPF is checked/regenerated (if necessary) at the service. The fuel economy will also decrease fairly quickly due to the inlet manifold getting clogged with soot and oil deposits.

If you're doing lots of short trips or town driving then buy a petrol.

over a year ago

None

over a year ago

"I've driven them for work, seem economic and hire companies wouldn't use them if they were THAT bad. I wouldn't worry about opinions, just ensure its been well maintained and serviced regularly and you'll be fine!"

Worked for Avis for a while......Citroen DS were great to drive and ultra reliable......stopped using Alphas as they had poor reliability and lots of complaints from customers..... But hey...each yo their own!

over a year ago

Personally, I wouldn't touch Citroen with a barge pole.

But then, I wouldn't buy a BMW, Mercedes or Audi either.

I'm not a fan of European cars.

Or Japanese for that matter.

With the possible exception of Aston Martin (Yeah, like I can afford one of those) I will only ever buy American motors now.

over a year ago

"I've driven them for work, seem economic and hire companies wouldn't use them if they were THAT bad. I wouldn't worry about opinions, just ensure its been well maintained and serviced regularly and you'll be fine!

Worked for Avis for a while......Citroen DS were great to drive and ultra reliable......stopped using Alphas as they had poor reliability and lots of complaints from customers..... But hey...each yo their own!"

You mean Alfa's surely (Alfa owner pet peeve).

In 10yrs of Alfa ownership I've only ever had a clutch break on me. They do, however, require a bit of tic and correct servicing, not a vehicle I'd ever recommend for a rental company as people tend to drive rentals like they're stolen!

over a year ago

French cars

Generally well styled and pretty

You can't polish a turd though

I had 3 peugeots and they all had issues - gearbox failure at 50,000 miles on the last one

over a year ago

"French cars

I had 3 peugeots and they all had issues - gearbox failure at 50,000 miles on the last one "

Probably because of all the ICE gear you drag around!

over a year ago

"French cars

I had 3 peugeots and they all had issues - gearbox failure at 50,000 miles on the last one

Probably because of all the ICE gear you drag around! "

The ICE isn't even that powerful, it's only fused to 300amps

Wasn't definitely the pug, it also needed a clutch, piston rings and a wheel bearing, think I only had it for 9000 miles.

Had a 107 when I was 17 - clutch failure which Peugeot admitted it was their fault and replaced free of charge

Oh how I hate Peugeot

over a year ago

I love my DS3. I paid extra for non factory colors. Its awesome. Speedy and super cool

over a year ago

The new 308 is very styled, classy and minimalist inside, the way I like them

over a year ago

"The new 308 is very styled, classy and minimalist inside, the way I like them "

Give 308R hybrid a Google, 500bhp from a 1.6 pug

over a year ago

"I love my DS3. I paid extra for non factory colors. Its awesome. Speedy and super cool "

over a year ago

"I love my DS3. I paid extra for non factory colors. Its awesome. Speedy and super cool "

Can you take me for a test drive sometime X

By *ex_OnTheBeachCouple
over a year ago

kent ( by the seaside )

We have a C4 and it's a great car, very economical and very low maintenance too.

over a year ago

Just googled it, and - wow, that's one butt-ugly car "

Preferred the Citroen SM so ahead of its 1961 time

over a year ago

"If you're stuck on the Citroen there's a few things to bear in mind before choosing which model to go for.

Do you drive enough miles each year to warrant a diesel? If it's less than 15k miles per year or little motorway driving I'd suggest you're better off with a small petrol engine or you'll constantly have issues with the EGR valve, MAP sensor, swirl flaps and DPF, all of them are prone to clogging due to sooty deposits from diesel fuel, only the DPF is checked/regenerated (if necessary) at the service. The fuel economy will also decrease fairly quickly due to the inlet manifold getting clogged with soot and oil deposits.

If you're doing lots of short trips or town driving then buy a petrol."

over a year ago

Right so an update I plumped for a Nissan juke... In force red.

over a year ago

Oh c'mon.... surely even the most ardent anti-French car fan melts their resistance when faced with the automotive magnificence that is the utterly sublime Chapron Citroen DS convertible ..... "

Ah the Goddess. Should I ever win the lottery that sublime vehicle will be in my garage for sure.

over a year ago

"Right so an update I plumped for a Nissan juke... In force red. "

Oh dear! Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear!

What have you done.

By *avebi48Man
over a year ago

Lordswood

I loved the old hydraulic Cits, ran them for 20+ years with very very few problems. They were a lot cheaper o run than the Alfa's I have now

They've brought the DS (Déesse - Godess) name back with the 3 & 4 but sadly they are on standard metal springs so nowt like the original which was years ahead of its time.

Basically Peugeot mechanicals so should be reliable tho you may have odd electrical niggles. All the french bashing is amusing tho, electronics are usually Bosch or Magnetti Marelli lol

Re_iews on them are good tho and they have style. You'll stand out a little from the usual Fraud/Vaux/VW etc crowd if nothing else.

By *avebi48Man
over a year ago

Lordswood

"Right so an update I plumped for a Nissan juke... In force red.

Oh dear! Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear!

What have you done."

At least it's not a Renault

By *nFairnessMan
over a year ago

The Four Corners

"French cars

I had 3 peugeots and they all had issues - gearbox failure at 50,000 miles on the last one "

ACTUALLY you can polish a turd.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiJ9fy1qSFI hahaha

over a year ago

"

wise advice that only fools will ignore

over a year ago

wise advice that only fools will ignore"

Why do people write such claptrap? German cars are some of the most unreliable nowadays yet because of their good marketing and gullibility of the car buying public they are still perceived as quality.

By *ogistical NightmaresCouple
over a year ago

Manchester Area

(M) had 2 x BX`s, a ZX (fkn pocket rocket), an AX, Xsara and Xantia, had a break for 10 years whilst driving company cars and other marques, changed back to a C5 estate last year as a workhorse and it definately out performs the Volvo I had previously

over a year ago

Wise men buy and drive a Hilux

Toyota, the car in front

over a year ago

Don't buy one mine sucked ass!

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

little house on the praire

My friend got one of the brand new ford RS last week, the only way I can describe it is green.....fucking lime green

over a year ago

Why do people write such claptrap? German cars are some of the most unreliable nowadays yet because of their good marketing and gullibility of the car buying public they are still perceived as quality."

I wouldn't buy German either. They're overpriced pieces of junk.

over a year ago

"Wise men buy and drive a Hilux

Toyota, the car in front"

Mmm, it's only in front because it's brakes have failed and then you have the problem of the dodgy airbags.

Don't swallow all the PR hype

over a year ago

Why do people write such claptrap? German cars are some of the most unreliable nowadays yet because of their good marketing and gullibility of the car buying public they are still perceived as quality.

I wouldn't buy German either. They're overpriced pieces of junk."

I like Alfas, ex used to own a 147, but they are certainly no more reliable than a French car

over a year ago

So in conclusion

French cars are shit

Jap power !!

over a year ago

"So in conclusion

French cars are shit

Jap power !! "

Yep Jap cars are reliable (apart from all the safety recalls of course) but their styling is awful and the interiors wouldn't look out of place in an 80s Ford

over a year ago

"So in conclusion

French cars are shit

Jap power !!

Yep Jap cars are reliable (apart from all the safety recalls of course) but their styling is awful and the interiors wouldn't look out of place in an 80s Ford"

The interior of my civic is more spaceship than 80s ford

3 most reliable cars

Honda

Toyota

Suzuki

I fancy a Lexus next or maybe the new civic type R

over a year ago

"So in conclusion

French cars are shit

Jap power !!

Yep Jap cars are reliable (apart from all the safety recalls of course) but their styling is awful and the interiors wouldn't look out of place in an 80s Ford

3 most reliable cars

Honda

Toyota

Suzuki

I fancy a Lexus next or maybe the new civic type R "

Yeah a spaceship made from hard brittle plastic. New Type R sums up all that is wrong with rice racer styling.The world has move on and I speak as a previous Impreza owner who wouldn't go near the latest STI.

Lexus is a whole different world which just proves the Japanese can do quality interiors if they choose to,

over a year ago

I wouldn't buy German either. They're overpriced pieces of junk.

I like Alfas, ex used to own a 147, but they are certainly no more reliable than a French car"

If they're looked after properly they're perfectly reliable. The only issue I've ever had in 10yrs of driving Alfa's is a clutch at 98k miles.

My ex had a Renault Megane and that started playing up within 6 months and was a nightmare to fix.

No car is perfect.

By *nterracial2Couple
over a year ago

Ribble Valley

German or walk!

Preferably BMW, the new automatic gearboxes get ridiculous efficiency, even in the M cars.

over a year ago

"So in conclusion

French cars are shit

Jap power !!

3 most reliable cars

Honda

Toyota

Suzuki

Yeah a spaceship made from hard brittle plastic. New Type R sums up all that is wrong with rice racer styling.The world has move on and I speak as a previous Impreza owner who wouldn't go near the latest STI.

Lexus is a whole different world which just proves the Japanese can do quality interiors if they choose to,"

You do understand what rice stands for ?

RACE

INSPIRED

COSMETIC

ENHANCEMENTS

A civic with a top speed of 167mph and fastest fwd round the ring is certainly not riced my friend

over a year ago

"No car is perfect."

Agreed, they all have their own idiosyncrasies. I looked after a 147 and a Clio both had their failings but no worse than any other car

over a year ago

We have a Pug 207 Gt which uses the same bmw/psa developed engine as the DS3 early models had cam chain issues but new ones have had a mod to sort it. We have had Citroën,Peugeot and Renault cars.Only one which ever had issues with was a phase 2 Laguna. We love are current car. It goes like stink handles really well and we get 39mpg . Not bad for a 150 bhp petrol. All cars have their faults so if you like the DS3 get one.

over a year ago

"So in conclusion

French cars are shit

Jap power !!

3 most reliable cars

Honda

Toyota

Suzuki

Lexus is a whole different world which just proves the Japanese can do quality interiors if they choose to,

RACE

INSPIRED

COSMETIC

ENHANCEMENTS

A civic with a top speed of 167mph and fastest fwd round the ring is certainly not riced my friend "

It's fast but that's it. Latest group test on British roads in evo puts it behind Megane, Golf R and Seat Leon. Not very impressive for a brand new car. Style (for want of a better word) over substance

over a year ago

"No car is perfect.

Agreed, they all have their own idiosyncrasies. I looked after a 147 and a Clio both had their failings but no worse than any other car"

Petrol or diesel 147?

The main issue with all Alfa Romeo's is the belt changes you have to ensure the water pump is done along with the followers and tensioners. Oil consumption is usually 1ltr per 1k miles on the petrol and the suspension bushes are sometimes iffy. Other than that they're solid. Hence why Vauxhall, Fiat, Saab and several other marques use Alfa based engines.

over a year ago

"So in conclusion

French cars are shit

Jap power !!

3 most reliable cars

Honda

Toyota

Suzuki

RACE

INSPIRED

COSMETIC

ENHANCEMENTS

A civic with a top speed of 167mph and fastest fwd round the ring is certainly not riced my friend

It's fast but that's it. Latest group test on British roads in evo puts it behind Megane, Golf R and Seat Leon. Not very impressive for a brand new car. Style (for want of a better word) over substance"

And everyone likes different things so it's no issue. It's fwd so it's gonna be beat on road tests.

I bought my civic and built it as an audio car so speed isn't what I go for, if I wanted a fast car I could buy a Subaru for £4000 and beat any golf R or type R.

My car makes more Db than horsepower

over a year ago

"No car is perfect.

Agreed, they all have their own idiosyncrasies. I looked after a 147 and a Clio both had their failings but no worse than any other car

Petrol or diesel 147?

The main issue with all Alfa Romeo's is the belt changes you have to ensure the water pump is done along with the followers and tensioners. Oil consumption is usually 1ltr per 1k miles on the petrol and the suspension bushes are sometimes iffy. Other than that they're solid. Hence why Vauxhall, Fiat, Saab and several other marques use Alfa based engines."

Petrol. The wishbone bushes are a real pita, bloody speed bumps don't help them last either. Oil consumption wasn't an issue at all. What Saab engine is Alfa based? I'm not aware of any.

over a year ago

"No car is perfect.

Petrol or diesel 147?

The main issue with all Alfa Romeo's is the belt changes you have to ensure the water pump is done along with the followers and tensioners. Oil consumption is usually 1ltr per 1k miles on the petrol and the suspension bushes are sometimes iffy. Other than that they're solid. Hence why Vauxhall, Fiat, Saab and several other marques use Alfa based engines.

Petrol. The wishbone bushes are a real pita, bloody speed bumps don't help them last either. Oil consumption wasn't an issue at all. What Saab engine is Alfa based? I'm not aware of any."

The 1.9 diesel.

Upper wishbone bushes are a constant bane but easily sorted with polyurethane parts.

over a year ago

"It's fwd so it's gonna be beat on road tests. "

Both Megane and Leon are fwd so don't know where you're coming from there.

As you say we all like different things, the world would be a boring place if we didn't.

over a year ago

I currently have a 15 plate Ds3 and it's awesome, also currently have a high powered Japanese car too and that has been faultless too. My experiences with Germany cars on the other hand not so good. Previous Porsche, Mercedes and BMW have all suffered with niggling faults and the dealers have quite frankly sucked. Lexus are wonderful cars. Had a Mk1 Gs300 sport and it was like a tank, same engine as Supra but with a luxurious interior. Would always prefer Japanese over German nowadays.

over a year ago

"What Saab engine is Alfa based? I'm not aware of any.

The 1.9 diesel.

Upper wishbone bushes are a constant bane but easily sorted with polyurethane parts."

Ah, that will be why it is the most unreliable engine in the Saab range

over a year ago

"I currently have a 15 plate Ds3 and it's awesome, also currently have a high powered Japanese car too and that has been faultless too. My experiences with Germany cars on the other hand not so good. Previous Porsche, Mercedes and BMW have all suffered with niggling faults and the dealers have quite frankly sucked. Lexus are wonderful cars. Had a Mk1 Gs300 sport and it was like a tank, same engine as Supra but with a luxurious interior. Would always prefer Japanese over German nowadays. "

Ask any BMW owner who's suffered VANOS issues or exploding brake discs or faulty semi automatic gearboxes or cracked rear subframes what their ownership experience is like...

over a year ago

"I currently have a 15 plate Ds3 and it's awesome, also currently have a high powered Japanese car too and that has been faultless too. My experiences with Germany cars on the other hand not so good. Previous Porsche, Mercedes and BMW have all suffered with niggling faults and the dealers have quite frankly sucked. Lexus are wonderful cars. Had a Mk1 Gs300 sport and it was like a tank, same engine as Supra but with a luxurious interior. Would always prefer Japanese over German nowadays.

Ask any BMW owner who's suffered VANOS issues or exploding brake discs or faulty semi automatic gearboxes or cracked rear subframes what their ownership experience is like... "

My E46 M3 had 3 separate smg gearbox issues in the space of a year My E36 killed the rear subframe mounting point's but that was down to the welded diff and how I drove it

over a year ago

I rented a Citroen once. It had one of those card key things. It broke. Nah, steer clear if you ask me!

over a year ago

Again, if you want a car that will take you anywhere, you buy the Toyota Hilux, which has proven itself time and time again.

I will also be the one towing you out of the ditch in winter or when you are stuck in snow!!!

if; indeed, you are polite, and ask kindly

over a year ago

Yeah my thoughts are.... Don't be cheap buy a vw

over a year ago

"I rented a Citroen once. It had one of those card key things. It broke. Nah, steer clear if you ask me! "

End of discussion. You just can't argue with a scientifically controlled statistical survey like that can you?

over a year ago

"Yeah my thoughts are.... Don't be cheap buy a vw "

Yes that's right buy the brand that came 23rd out of 37 brands in research by What Car? and Warranty Direct

over a year ago

"I currently have a 15 plate Ds3 and it's awesome, also currently have a high powered Japanese car too and that has been faultless too. My experiences with Germany cars on the other hand not so good. Previous Porsche, Mercedes and BMW have all suffered with niggling faults and the dealers have quite frankly sucked. Lexus are wonderful cars. Had a Mk1 Gs300 sport and it was like a tank, same engine as Supra but with a luxurious interior. Would always prefer Japanese over German nowadays.

Ask any BMW owner who's suffered VANOS issues or exploding brake discs or faulty semi automatic gearboxes or cracked rear subframes what their ownership experience is like...

My E46 M3 had 3 separate smg gearbox issues in the space of a year My E36 killed the rear subframe mounting point's but that was down to the welded diff and how I drove it "

Even with an LSD the E36 M3 is renowned for destroying its rear subframe.

By *isdirtygirlCouple
over a year ago

somewhere out there

This comes from someone who only drives Alfa Romeo anymore."

I have a new shape 2.2 C5 which is lovely to drive. She isnt the lightest on diesel but she is a lovely car to look at and - more importantly - I can talk to her! She has soul! Just like every Alfa I have owned.

over a year ago

If you get one that wasn't built on a Friday, in the hour before and after shift tea-breaks, the hour before and two hours after shift lunch-breaks, or within a week or two of the French public holidays, you should be ok...unless the workforce was having a REALLY off-day.

Lovely styling, good options, and desirable cars...if your dealer will throw in a push bike with the deal for when the inevitable happens, then go for it.

The reliability issues to one side, I do actually really like them...they're quite funky cars. But I'd never buy one with my own money.

By *eavenNhellCouple
over a year ago

carrbrook stalybridge

"Again, if you want a car that will take you anywhere, you buy the Toyota Hilux, which has proven itself time and time again.

I will also be the one towing you out of the ditch in winter or when you are stuck in snow!!!

if; indeed, you are polite, and ask kindly "

is that after a landrover has cleared the way to the ditch for you and is ready to assist when you get stuck ?

over a year ago

"I rented a Citroen once. It had one of those card key things. It broke. Nah, steer clear if you ask me!

End of discussion. You just can't argue with a scientifically controlled statistical survey like that can you?"

I wasn't asked for statistics, i was asked for my thoughts. They are based on my experience.

By *avebi48Man
over a year ago

Lordswood

"Again, if you want a car that will take you anywhere, you buy the Toyota Hilux, which has proven itself time and time again.

if; indeed, you are polite, and ask kindly is that after a landrover has cleared the way to the ditch for you and is ready to assist when you get stuck ?"

over a year ago

if; indeed, you are polite, and ask kindly is that after a landrover has cleared the way to the ditch for you and is ready to assist when you get stuck ?"

Hilux is a good machine, but Land Rover is the better option all round.

By *ts artMan
over a year ago

Londonderry

C3 and c4 engines on medium to high medium mileage are prone to turbo problems due to dirty combustion, replaced a turbo on one recently only to have it give problems soon after which the company which the suppliers wouldn't stand over citing engine contamination as the cause, 100% trust there call as have had some similar issues with that engine in other models of cars

Thats the problem now too, buy a volvo get a Peugeot / citeron engine

Hate to say it but theres so many cars now a frankenstien of other companies parts, eg Nissan micra ,,, its a Renault clio!!!

By *ensualtouch15Man
over a year ago

ashby de la zouch

My gut would tell me not to buy a car that's name is trying to sound like a game consol xx

over a year ago

"C3 and c4 engines on medium to high medium mileage are prone to turbo problems due to dirty combustion, replaced a turbo on one recently only to have it give problems soon after which the company which the suppliers wouldn't stand over citing engine contamination as the cause, 100% trust there call as have had some similar issues with that engine in other models of cars

Thats the problem now too, buy a volvo get a Peugeot / citeron engine

Hate to say it but theres so many cars now a frankenstien of other companies parts, eg Nissan micra ,,, its a Renault clio!!! "

Probably down to the EGR valve. That's the common cause on all diesels nowadays. They're supposed to make the engine cleaner, which they do when the engine is brand new but after 10k miles the inlet manifold gets filled with soot and it actually makes the engine dirtier and less efficient that lead to problems with the swirl flaps, poor combustion, blocked oil breathers and knackered turbos.

over a year ago

If you are intending to buy it new or near new with a warranty and keep it for a maximum of 3 years then don't worry too much about long term reliability.

Many people buy cars these days on PCP deals or lease deals and reliability is not that important if you hand it back after 3 years and get another car!

Post new Message to Thread