Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

breaking the cycle

Jump to newest

By *ittle_brat_evie!! OP   Woman
over a year ago

evesham

no not literally (although i did once break a bicycle )

i have had an epiphany this morning!

During the week i HAVE to have porridge as soon as i get into work (i cant eat as soon as i get up), then i HAVE to have a snack mid morning then i HAVE to have my lunch etc etc yet on the weekend i can go all morning with no food.

yesterday i went and did parkrun, had a very encouraging meeting with someone about running, went shopping and by the time i thought about eating it was 3pm. Today i have been up for hours but not eaten a single thing.

While this is not particularly healthy for me (type 2 diabetic) clearly there are triggers at work which make me eat. i need to really focus on these as i eat an obscene amount at work!

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

Is it that work is a routine of sorts e.g coffee at 10, lunch at 1 etc.?

I HAVE to eat a yogurt when I arrive and drink two cups of very strong Millicano coffee (as we don't have a cafetiere). I don't eat more at work but I do eat it in a more organised fashion and at more set intervals.

By *ittle_brat_evie!! OP   Woman
over a year ago

evesham

"Is it that work is a routine of sorts e.g coffee at 10, lunch at 1 etc.?

I HAVE to eat a yogurt when I arrive and drink two cups of very strong Millicano coffee (as we don't have a cafetiere). I don't eat more at work but I do eat it in a more organised fashion and at more set intervals."

perhaps but i also think its a stress related thing. the job i do now is very stressful and i need to work a way of dealing with that which doenst result in reaching for food.

By *iewMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Angus & Findhorn

I eat toast first thing, a biggish lunch and a snack in the evening. I changed to that to allow me to take Metformin at lunchtime as that was my largest meal.

I have lost 2 stone over the year and reduced my longterm blood sugar significantly.

I used to find if I ate more in the evening, I would want to snack more later.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

I truly believe it's boredom at work that makes up eat more than we would if not at work.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"Is it that work is a routine of sorts e.g coffee at 10, lunch at 1 etc.?

I HAVE to eat a yogurt when I arrive and drink two cups of very strong Millicano coffee (as we don't have a cafetiere). I don't eat more at work but I do eat it in a more organised fashion and at more set intervals.

perhaps but i also think its a stress related thing. the job i do now is very stressful and i need to work a way of dealing with that which doenst result in reaching for food."

I can't help you with that one. Stress has me reaching for chocolate or cake quicker than you can say Victoria sponge

By *yrdwomanWoman
over a year ago

Putting the 'cum' in Eboracum

I'm a morning eater. I need breakfast first thing, then I need lunch at midday. After that I'm pretty fluid so just eat when I'm hungry.

Although its true that's at work. I ate this morning at 7.30 but not had lunch yet. I only ate twice yesterday. So I think the work routine has a lot to do with when we eat during the week.

over a year ago

"no not literally (although i did once break a bicycle )

During the week i HAVE to have porridge as soon as i get into work (i cant eat as soon as i get up), then i HAVE to have a snack mid morning then i HAVE to have my lunch etc etc yet on the weekend i can go all morning with no food.

yesterday i went and did parkrun, had a very encouraging meeting with someone about running, went shopping and by the time i thought about eating it was 3pm. Today i have been up for hours but not eaten a single thing.

While this is not particularly healthy for me (type 2 diabetic) clearly there are triggers at work which make me eat. i need to really focus on these as i eat an obscene amount at work!"

try Dr yes fruit mix! Instead of sweets or chirps at work you should eat before a parkrun nawty!

over a year ago

"I truly believe it's boredom at work that makes up eat more than we would if not at work."

Totally agree with this

over a year ago

I have, 3 whole eggs, 1 bagel and 100g musli for breakfast. Big 800cal breakfast for those muscle gains

By *horstrollMan
over a year ago

Caprona

Real blueberries with porridge, beats the instant pots/sachets which are handy.

Fruit mixed up does make a difference.

Peach anyone

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

Work out the triggers and then devise ways to either get different behaviours, following those triggers, or for the triggers to disappear, is my approach.

And if stress is the potential culprit, reducing your background stress load is healthy, even without skipping the eating. I do regular yoga and ensure I take lots of rest. I also do frequent regular breaks during the day.

I also keep a list of all the stuff that I have in my life that has to be done or isn't finished. I prioritise stuff but also aim to get stuff off the list. If it's on the list, it's usually less on my mind. Having stuff hanging around unfinished is an extra load, so I aim to close the loops. In essence, anything that's requiring attention is to me a stresser, all incrementally adding up to make me more stressed. Some things can be cut easier than others, such as timescale and availability. And the work stuff is potentially unavoidable but my response to it can be altered.

over a year ago

I work constant nights. That really fucks everything up!

Had my dinner at half 10 last night.

If i keep busy at weekends i can generally go all day without eating. Most of the time i eat through boredom.

over a year ago

"no not literally (although i did once break a bicycle )

During the week i HAVE to have porridge as soon as i get into work (i cant eat as soon as i get up), then i HAVE to have a snack mid morning then i HAVE to have my lunch etc etc yet on the weekend i

can go all morning with no food.

While this is not particularly healthy for me (type 2 diabetic) clearly there are triggers at work which make me eat. i need to really focus on these as i eat an obscene amount at work!

try Dr yes fruit mix! Instead of sweets or chirps at work you should eat before a parkrun nawty! "

Dr yes??? Fun phone! Dried!

By *iss_tressWoman
over a year ago

London

I used to have a cooked breakfast, grab two pain aux raison and a cappuccino on the way to work. Have a big lunch, bikkies and more cappuccinos during the afternoon, cab from the station, big meal, feet up.

Quelle surprise I put on weight and developed type two diabetes.

Joined a gym. Exchanged cab for Shanks Pony, porridge for full English, handful of raisins and almonds for pain aux raisin, long walks and gardening for long box sets and the watching gardening programmes, lost 30kg, diabetes reversed.

However, it's a struggle at weekends as I don't want porridge but a full English and the two mile walk to the gym is a shore...but hey Ho!

over a year ago

I never have breakfast when I'm working. But I do on my days off

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

Cooked breakfast is do able. Just don't go to dizzy delicious heights.

One rasher grilled. On fat sausage grilled. One grilled tomatoe. One microwaved or poached egg. One spoon of beans. Hand ful of mushroom fried in that one cal spray. One slice of dry wholemeal toast.

Have a really good mid day walk .

Eat a huge salad late lunch.

Eat soup or fruit or both for evening.

over a year ago

I eat when I'm hungry and don't do set meal times. If I crave something sweet or something filling, I have it regardless of the time. I don't get any satisfaction from food and rarely eat anything and think how lovely it was.

I think most of what we eat is habitual, rather than needed.

Post new Message to Thread