Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Dialects - Earthy/Common vs Refined/Eloquent

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Which do you prefer?

Are you more drawn to those with a more working class style of speech, or do you prefer a more proper and crafted form of delivery?

This isn't a question about accents by the way, more about the way people speak their words, regardless of where they come from.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

I'll wager a plum in the mouth proves popular.

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

"I'll wager a plum in the mouth proves popular."

What-what-what?

over a year ago

Plain english no plum but not chav speak

over a year ago

"I'll wager a plum in the mouth proves popular.

What-what-what?"

F'naah f'naah!

over a year ago

i have a proclivity for those who use their tongues prettier that ten dollar whore.

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

I prefer clear speech, however it's spoken and don't care about backgrounds. It needs inherent concentration, so that recipients can understand you. That effort and focus is enough.

over a year ago

I think I speak quite nicely, I use language to my advantage, and I've made many guys hard with the sound of my voice.I quite like it, at least!

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

I'm not fond of dropped aitches, especially if they are then applied randomly elsewhere.

over a year ago

I'll melt for a Geordie or Irish accent

By *risky_MareWoman
over a year ago

...Up on the Downs

"I'll wager a plum in the mouth proves popular.

What-what-what?

F'naah f'naah!"

Okay yah!!!

over a year ago

mood depending, i do prefer well spoken men who can hold down a decent conversation without using slang terminology. I find that an attractive trait in a man.

Id like to be able to understand him though and not have to get the thesaurus out to break down a simple sentence, however id rather that option than tolerate 'what up babes youz looking mighty fine fo sure.. '

By *alandNitaCouple
over a year ago

Scunthorpe

"mood depending, i do prefer well spoken men who can hold down a decent conversation without using slang terminology. I find that an attractive trait in a man.

Id like to be able to understand him though and not have to get the thesaurus out to break down a simple sentence, however id rather that option than tolerate 'what up babes youz looking mighty fine fo sure.. ' "

If anyone said 'what up babes youz looking mighty fine fo sure.. ' to me I think I would be hard pressed not to laugh.

By *empting Devil.Woman
over a year ago

Sheffield

I'm well spoken - apparently I look and sound like Kirstie Allsopp!

But in the right company I sometimes come over all Yorkshire.

over a year ago

"Which do you prefer?

Are you more drawn to those with a more working class style of speech, or do you prefer a more proper and crafted form of delivery?

This isn't a question about accents by the way, more about the way people speak their words, regardless of where they come from."

What is working class and what is a working class accent?

over a year ago

I haven't got a preference, I done some travelling with my last job and I used to love going to a different parts of the country and hearing how people speak

over a year ago

"

If anyone said 'what up babes youz looking mighty fine fo sure.. ' to me I think I would be hard pressed not to laugh.

"

id not even meet him.. i always insist on talking over a phone or skype first,, the spoken word and a mans accent is just as important as his looks and the way his mind works.. cant be dealing with funny silences or dodgey accents

By *lashheartMan
over a year ago

shrewsbury

"I'm well spoken - apparently I look and sound like Kirstie Allsopp!

But in the right company I sometimes come over all Yorkshire.

"

Kirstie Allsppp? Marry me!

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

"Which do you prefer?

This isn't a question about accents by the way, more about the way people speak their words, regardless of where they come from."

What is a WORKING CLASS style of speech ?

What is a proper and crafted form of delivery ?

Your question makes a great deal of assumption.

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

"Which do you prefer?

This isn't a question about accents by the way, more about the way people speak their words, regardless of where they come from.

What is working class and what is a working class accent? "

You typed that behind my back while I was typing

By *ack LondonMan
over a year ago

London

I speak nearly RP. However I'm a good mimicker, can do most accents and specific personalities.

I don't judge anyone by accent. Personality is the most important.

By *ack LondonMan
over a year ago

London

"Which do you prefer?

What is working class and what is a working class accent?

You typed that behind my back while I was typing "

My John Lennon is particularly well received..

By *lashheartMan
over a year ago

shrewsbury

I think maybe he was trying to say talk posh or talk more common (as in the way the majority of us talk)

I know I can sound a bit "country" to the townies it's never been a problem though.

What I dislike is "text write" or "gangsta" I find it really hard to read sometimes.

over a year ago

"I'm not fond of dropped aitches, especially if they are then applied randomly elsewhere.

"

Love the way you sound, very sexy!!

By *empting Devil.Woman
over a year ago

Sheffield

"Which do you prefer?

What is a WORKING CLASS style of speech ?

What is a proper and crafted form of delivery ?

Your question makes a great deal of assumption."

I am working class from a working class background and I'm certainly not posh.

However the ability to communicate well and clearly was prized highly - I was frequently twatted round the back of me ead for not enunciating!

By *iamondjoeMan
over a year ago

Glastonbury

"Which do you prefer?

Am I bovvered?

Where you were born and how you speak are immaterial...

Just be capable of a decent conversation

By *oward1978Man
over a year ago

Rotherham

"Plain english no plum but not chav speak"

This really. Some of the youth of today sound like they've been brought up by wolves or something. They seem to have trouble stringing a coherent sentence together, like they're gargling a mouthful of marbles. What's that about? Very off putting!

over a year ago

"

Am I bovvered?

Where you were born and how you speak are immaterial...

Just be capable of a decent conversation "

But to me inn your post there you have just contradicted yourself.. decent conversation in my eyes would involve how a person speaks and the words/terminology they would choose to use.

Again being born into a region with family friends all speaking in a thick accent id not find pleasant to my ears would be a turn off.. so that would impact my enjoyment of hearing the conversation..

all subjective just like everything on this planet is

Post new Message to Thread