Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

CAR INSURANCE FOR NEWLY QUALIFIED DRIVERS

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

My eldest (17) has recently passed her driving test. Does anyone know where to go for the best deals on car insurance, because the quotes I have had so far are anywhere between £2-3,000. That includes as a named driver and in her own right. Any help would be gladly appreciated, thanks x

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

bad news sorry

untill she builds her own no claims its going to be high.

tbh that sounds like an ok quote, young lads at work pay much more than that but they do have manchester postcodes.

im pretty sure even main dealers wont ins young drivers untill they 21 these days.

good luck and hope im wrong about it.

By *ig badMan
over a year ago

Up North :-)

Well that's high i have to say, what sort of car are you trying to insure?

over a year ago

it's a 1 litre. nothing special,lol x

By *-and-KCouple
over a year ago

Back of Beyond

My son is now 20 and passed 2 years ago. his first insurance was £1700 tpo. The car was only worth £1400! This year it had dropped to £1100 and hopefully next year it will be much more reasonable.

As to advice, forget all the online search engines, they may say they cover 90% of the market, but the fact is they don't necessarily offer the best deals. Go down your local high street and walk into some of the brokers there, they can ususally offer better. Swinton is a good one for that.

By *-and-KCouple
over a year ago

Back of Beyond

Point in case, forgot to add to last post.

After 25 years of riding bikes I have given them up because of a shoulder operation. For 25 years I have been a named driver on the wifes policy. Never a claim in all that time, but when it came to me getting insurance on another car, it counted for nothing.

I've had to take out insurance as though I am a 1st time driver. So 54years old, driving since I was 17, one time professional driver. The online search engines for the car I chose, came up with anything from £500 to £90.000, yep that last is correct

Got the cover from Swinton on the high street for £199 tpft.

By *asochrisMan
over a year ago

cardiff

Put her through her CBT and buy her a scooter was thinkin of it myself

over a year ago

Ask the insurance companies if its worth her taking An advanced drivers course. The money you spend on that could be worth it if it brings the insurance down.

over a year ago

My nephew is 18 and just passed his test. He bought a decent little motor for £1400, nothing extreme, just a reliable little runner 1.2 engine - and paid £2700 to insure it! What a fookin con!

I always used A-Plean insurance when I had my own car and found them to be competitive price wise. (I use company vehicles most of the time, but I am also a named driver onm Siren's policy).

If your son cannot afford the exhorbitant fees on his own then name him as a driver on your policy. It will still be expensive but not as much as insuring himself in his own right, and he should be able to build up his own no claims at the same time.

By *ytraCouple
over a year ago

Wrexham

"If your son cannot afford the exhorbitant fees on his own then name him as a driver on your policy. It will still be expensive but not as much as insuring himself in his own right, and he should be able to build up his own no claims at the same time."

The only problem with this though is that if he is the main driver and not listed as such on the policy, if he were to have an accident they could refuse to payout.

By *ytraCouple
over a year ago

Wrexham

Sorry *SHE*

over a year ago

"

If your son cannot afford the exhorbitant fees on his own then name him as a driver on your policy. It will still be expensive but not as much as insuring himself in his own right, and he should be able to build up his own no claims at the same time."

Unfortunately I tried that when my son passed his test, it would have cost as much as paying him insurance in his own name and he would have no no-claims of his own.

We chose the option of insuring him separately to the cost of £1200 pounds, it does build up their no-claims and reduce in price eventually.

By *etillanteWoman
over a year ago

I've just been looking to renew my car insurance. Last year it was £500, this year the same company want £2,500. Now I haven't had any claims so asked why.

Seems as where I live is a bad area for false claims, people braking so that the car behind goes into the back of you. So some companies do not want you. I eventually paid over £800. So it's not just teenagers and first time drivers being penalised.

By *ast and modifiedCouple
over a year ago

near glasgow

as a driving instructor i recommend that pupils complete the pass plus course of driving lessons set out by the driving standards agency as it gives upto 50% off there first insurance policy with most of the major insurance groups.it consists of motorway,country and night time driving.

over a year ago

Have u tried Quinn insurance??....just done it 4 our lad....17 years old.on a 1.2 fiat punto....£1300...but u have 2 do it b4 he passes his test..otherwise we believe it doubles once he passes his test....hope that helps x

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

Elephant was the cheapest for a daughters first time insurance on a 1.0 car...worked out at £950.

over a year ago

"Ask the insurance companies if its worth her taking An advanced drivers course. The money you spend on that could be worth it if it brings the insurance down. "

They only get about 10% of,we looking into it for my 18yr old daughter.

over a year ago

"Have u tried Quinn insurance??....just done it 4 our lad....17 years old.on a 1.2 fiat punto....£1300...but u have 2 do it b4 he passes his test..otherwise we believe it doubles once he passes his test....hope that helps x"

That is a valid point to remember. for many insurance companies its cheaper to insure while they are still learners if you put them on as an additional driver.

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

I have been reading this with interest as a learner driver myself... being a bit "older" I was still surprised at how much it would cost me to get insured when i pass.... so i suppose it is a case it shopping around

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

I was going to ask the other day how it was going _abio...now is my chance !

How is it going?

over a year ago

"If your son cannot afford the exhorbitant fees on his own then name him as a driver on your policy. It will still be expensive but not as much as insuring himself in his own right, and he should be able to build up his own no claims at the same time.

The only problem with this though is that if he is the main driver and not listed as such on the policy, if he were to have an accident they could refuse to payout."

Yes,we got told that was illegal when we looked into insuring a car in my ex husbands name for our daughter and have her as named driver,we were told we could insure it in daughters name and have him as a named driver and that might reduce the cost of the insurance a bit.

over a year ago

"I have been reading this with interest as a learner driver myself... being a bit "older" I was still surprised at how much it would cost me to get insured when i pass.... so i suppose it is a case it shopping around "

You have me wondering what it is costing you at your age now?

over a year ago

"If your son cannot afford the exhorbitant fees on his own then name him as a driver on your policy. It will still be expensive but not as much as insuring himself in his own right, and he should be able to build up his own no claims at the same time.

The only problem with this though is that if he is the main driver and not listed as such on the policy, if he were to have an accident they could refuse to payout.

Yes,we got told that was illegal when we looked into insuring a car in my ex husbands name for our daughter and have her as named driver,we were told we could insure it in daughters name and have him as a named driver and that might reduce the cost of the insurance a bit."

As long as the parent owns the car (resisted via the DVLA) they will pay out. But he won't build up no claims discount doing this.

By *ouple1234Couple
over a year ago

BELFAST UK

if you have an axa over on the mainland try them of if that dont work your best just paying the lowest price you have been giving, it will just keep rising by next year i think 17-20 years old the startard price for new drivers will be 3g

over a year ago

"I've just been looking to renew my car insurance. Last year it was £500, this year the same company want £2,500. Now I haven't had any claims so asked why.

Seems as where I live is a bad area for false claims, people braking so that the car behind goes into the back of you. So some companies do not want you. I eventually paid over £800. So it's not just teenagers and first time drivers being penalised. "

That sounds like alot to me, i thought mine was expensive last year when it was 400, so i switched to another,now it's only about 300, i think if i had to pay 2500 i'd give up driving.

By *ytraCouple
over a year ago

Wrexham

[Removed by poster at 16/11/10 11:14:39]

By *ytraCouple
over a year ago

Wrexham

"As long as the parent owns the car (resisted via the DVLA) they will pay out. But he won't build up no claims discount doing this. "

imo I think this is incorrect, if the insurance find out that a "named" driver is actually the main driver it doesn't matter who's name the insurance is in or who owns the vehicle it is opening a big can of worms for them to wriggle out of paying, and we all know they need very little to get out out of paying if they can.

The only safe way around this one would be to insure in daughters name and have mum or dad as named driver, also this way round she will still earn that all important NCD. You also have to beware of those companies that offer NCD to all drivers, yes they do as long as your insured with them, but if the named driver decided to move company they can potentially lose the NCD. (Mrs Sytra lost hers when she moved to her own insurance)

By *urreyfun2008Man
over a year ago

East Grinstead

The trouble is that it is less the cost of their own car, it is the damage done to that shiny 10 plate car they just scrapped down the side of in a car park, i.e. very small misjudgment may cost a lot.

Door skin replacement can easily be £800 (cost on a 55 Golf, was done in car park and no note left by other driver).

Some models even with a small engine may attract a premium, e.g. it has a reputation as a boy racers car, where they bling them up (again avoid doing so as can invalidate insurance).

Only rare is to grin and bear the cost for a year or two, and get a cheap car.

The advanced stuff is worth doing just for your own help, and maybe at this time of a year a skid pan session. So that on that first icy slide of the year then don't jump on the break pedal and sail off into a wall.

Also worth getting them into habit of checking tyres wear/pressure/oil.

over a year ago

many thanks to everybody who has offered advice. Will certainly look into some of the options recommended x

over a year ago

tell her to become a central london mini cab driver. you don't need insurance apparently. although a criminal conviction for something nasty would be desirable.

over a year ago

"as a driving instructor i recommend that pupils complete the pass plus course of driving lessons set out by the driving standards agency as it gives upto 50% off there first insurance policy with most of the major insurance groups.it consists of motorway,country and night time driving."

our son passed his driving test at aged 18 and also took the advanced driving course as he was told it would make his insurance cheeper.it didn't make one bit of difference.maybe its changed now as this was 5 yrs ago but it was completely useless back then

By *thwalescplCouple
over a year ago

brecon

Saw on the tv a few days ago that one womans daughter got quoted £94,000 for her fiesta!!!!!!!

By *imnher2Woman
over a year ago

watford

"My eldest (17) has recently passed her driving test. Does anyone know where to go for the best deals on car insurance, because the quotes I have had so far are anywhere between £2-3,000. That includes as a named driver and in her own right. Any help would be gladly appreciated, thanks x"

hi try coverbox their very good my 19 year old son got a great quote with them as a named driver best of luck

By *icksfocusMan
over a year ago

Pontefract

you have to be careful insuring a car in your name and putting them down as named driver because if police/ insurance find out they are the main driver it will void the insurance and my insurance with 2 years ncb ( cos of no fault crash with uninsured driver) was £900 this year £500 last year for turbo diesel mondeo

By *ofakindCouple
over a year ago

Running with Monkeys

I passed my driving test a couple of weeks ago... Im driving a peugeot 306 1.9 turbo diesel for 1500 insurance over the year... I have my other half as a named driver even though she is a learner and that brought the cost down by about 800... If on the other hand I was to put my father in law on my policy it would cost me even more even though he has 8+ years ncb, I have no idea how the insurance companies work beats me

over a year ago

When I first started learning to drive, I was on my parents insurance, parents tought me to drive etc, now after I passed my test, I remained a named driver on my Dads insurance and drove his car, but when I bought my own car and insured it with the same company as my him (CIS) they gave me a massive head start with my NCD ..

something like 45% if I remember right.

It may be worth seeing if anyone still does that - granted I'm talking about 1979, so things might have changed a little bit since then

By *anba2Couple
over a year ago

burbage

"My eldest (17) has recently passed her driving test. Does anyone know where to go for the best deals on car insurance, because the quotes I have had so far are anywhere between £2-3,000. That includes as a named driver and in her own right. Any help would be gladly appreciated, thanks x"

be thankful you have a daughter and not a son. Two of my sons are insured as named drivers on my policies and for 17 yr old on an "s" reg Peugeot 106 it's £2700 and for 18 yr old on a "p" reg fiesta it was £1700. It's ridiculous amounts for them.

over a year ago

Insure the Box is a goodun for new and young drivers it works just like a mobile phone top up where you pay insurance on the miles you do and earn miles by safe driving...Now wheres my fee....

Post new Message to Thread