Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Advice on getting published

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Just a quick post to see if we have any published authors in our midsts... and if so whether they could give me advice on what steps I should take. I've written the first half of a non-fiction book and was going to send it out and about to see if there's any interest from publishers. What's the usual protocol? Do I need an agent? Or should I try and get a previously published author in my field to recommend me?

If you're not comfortable admitting to the whole forum that you've published stuff... please PM me. I'd deeply appreciate whatever advice you can give

Thanks

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *icky999Man
over a year ago

warrington

1. chop an ear off

2. fuck a rolling stone.

your welcome

By *uzy444Woman
over a year ago

in the suffolk countryside

depends what you want..the world of publishing is cut throat...so consider self publishing or through an online self publisher that provides an ISBN and a distribution package making it available as an e-book and in hard copy..

lulu.com..have this option..ISBN and distribution (they make it available through amazon) was 65 pounds a while back...you need to be able to upload PDF..so you may have to fork out on adobe acrobat..but then you have it for future stuff..but you can see the costs, set your royalties and the price on the site too..

they have an option for them, to be 'the publisher' if you feel self publishing isnt any good for future credibility...

having one book successfully published and available, shows publishers you may approach with future works that you can write, and you can sell..making an advance proposition that much more likely..

hope this helps xx

By *icentiousCouple
over a year ago

Up on them there hills

Test it out well known publishers site for budding authors, it is watched by a few publishing houses, plus you will get feedback from others who are wanting to do the same.

By *rinking-in-laCouple
over a year ago

Bristol

Having worked in the book trade for many years I suggest brute force and perseverance. Self publishing is a route to selling 20 copies a year.

Publishers exist to out the crap. Every author ever is convinced their book is worth publishing and well they might. However if no publishers want a book then that should tell the writer something.

That said, publishers get tons of manuscript every week and it is easy to get lost in that miasma. Success is best garnered through perseverance and more perseverance.

Remember that it took JK Rowling years to get Harry Potter accepted by a publisher and when it did, Bloomsbury were a very small firm who were known for taking risks.

over a year ago

I am presently labouring under the delusion that my book is an important book that a lot of people will want to read and should be marketed as such. That's why, at this point, I'm not interested in self publishing. Obviously if it is a good way in then I could write a smaller version of the book and self publish that just to get me on the map.

I'm thinking if I can get a couple of published authors in my field recommending my book as important (a big IF there ) then that could really help get me noticed. They might also refer me to their publishers.

I am also entertaining writing some articles for periodicals, again to get noticed.

I will be asking those authors I contact for their advice and help... but I thought I'd dip my toe in here as I'm utterly in the dark about it at this point. Thanks for all the advice so far... especially the one about cutting off my ear

p.s. I'm aware that my delusions of grandeur may be entirely delusional... but what the heck... I always say "aim high"

By *rinking-in-laCouple
over a year ago

Bristol

"I am presently labouring under the delusion that my book is an important book that a lot of people will want to read and should be marketed as such. That's why, at this point, I'm not interested in self publishing. Obviously if it is a good way in then I could write a smaller version of the book and self publish that just to get me on the map.

I'm thinking if I can get a couple of published authors in my field recommending my book as important (a big IF there ) then that could really help get me noticed. They might also refer me to their publishers.

I am also entertaining writing some articles for periodicals, again to get noticed.

I will be asking those authors I contact for their advice and help... but I thought I'd dip my toe in here as I'm utterly in the dark about it at this point. Thanks for all the advice so far... especially the one about cutting off my ear

p.s. I'm aware that my delusions of grandeur may be entirely delusional... but what the heck... I always say "aim high" "

Lol you are entitled to your delusions. However the only true critic is one who does not know you. Everyone who ever wrote, wrote a book that their mother loved.

You just gotta keep the faith and keep writing more books.

If you can get short stories etc. published in the meantime it will go some to getting your name sounding familiar to publishers. That is worth it's weight in gold too.

over a year ago

"I am presently labouring under the delusion that my book is an important book that a lot of people will want to read and should be marketed as such. That's why, at this point, I'm not interested in self publishing. Obviously if it is a good way in then I could write a smaller version of the book and self publish that just to get me on the map.

p.s. I'm aware that my delusions of grandeur may be entirely delusional... but what the heck... I always say "aim high"

Lol you are entitled to your delusions. However the only true critic is one who does not know you. Everyone who ever wrote, wrote a book that their mother loved.

You just gotta keep the faith and keep writing more books.

If you can get short stories etc. published in the meantime it will go some to getting your name sounding familiar to publishers. That is worth it's weight in gold too."

Thanks la-la your posts have been really helpful... but how dare you question my utter genius lol You're quite right... I am really looking forward to receiving the feedback of strangers. At the moment I have a reading group of friends helping me... but strangers will be the true test

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Is this the book about God or something?

Maybe I'm getting you mixed up with someone else from a while ago - but thought I recognized your somewhat verbose style of writing!

Post new Message to Thread