Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

MPs' Wages

Jump to newest

By *lacksausage OP   Man
over a year ago

Birmingham Airport

I hear the men and women who think for us are about to get a pay rise whether they like it or not. What a difficult position the find themselves in!

And did anybody hear the newscast that quoted Mr Cameron saying the rise will enable them donate to charity?

Hands up if you will like a bit of help just so you can donate to charity.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Wish they'd donate their body parts to science right now instead....

over a year ago

I'm not sticking up for MP's a lot of them have taken the piss with expenses etc...

But

It's alright people slagging them off because they're in the public eye but would anyone having a dig at them decline a 10% pay rise themselves?

over a year ago

Mmm thinking of a career change,Im very good at talking shit and sitting on my arse all day.

By *o-jCouple
over a year ago

Outskirts of Notts

"I'm not sticking up for MP's a lot of them have taken the piss with expenses etc...

But

It's alright people slagging them off because they're in the public eye but would anyone having a dig at them decline a 10% pay rise themselves?

"

If I was trying to cut back everybody elses wages yes I would .

By *isdirtygirlCouple
over a year ago

somewhere out there

Just another way to rub our noses in it on how the rich get richer while even the working class are struggling to keep themselves above water.

DG

over a year ago

"I'm not sticking up for MP's a lot of them have taken the piss with expenses etc...

But

If I was trying to cut back everybody elses wages yes I would ."

Same as above.

If i was declaring myself the authority then i'd firstly set an example myself.

By *o-jCouple
over a year ago

Outskirts of Notts

"It is high time for me to put an end to your sitting in this place, which you have dishonored by your contempt of all virtue, and defiled by your practice of every vice; ye are a factious crew, and enemies to all good government; ye are a pack of mercenary wretches, and would like Esau sell your country for a mess of pottage, and like Judas betray your God for a few pieces of money. Is there a single virtue now remaining amongst you? Is there one vice you do not possess?

"Ye have no more religion than my horse; gold is your God; which of you have not barter'd your conscience for bribes? Is there a man amongst you that has the least care for the good of the Commonwealth? Ye sordid prostitutes have you not defil'd this sacred place, and turn'd the Lord's temple into a den of thieves, by your immoral principles and wicked practices? Ye are grown intolerably odious to the whole nation; you were deputed here by the people to get grievances redress'd, are yourselves gone! So! Take away that shining bauble there, and lock up the doors. In the name of God, go!"

How things have changed since Oliver Cromwell said this in 1653 .

over a year ago

""It is high time for me to put an end to your sitting in this place, which you have dishonored by your contempt of all virtue, and defiled by your practice of every vice; ye are a factious crew, and enemies to all good government; ye are a pack of mercenary wretches, and would like Esau sell your country for a mess of pottage, and like Judas betray your God for a few pieces of money. Is there a single virtue now remaining amongst you? Is there one vice you do not possess?

"Ye have no more religion than my horse; gold is your God; which of you have not barter'd your conscience for bribes? Is there a man amongst you that has the least care for the good of the Commonwealth? Ye sordid prostitutes have you not defil'd this sacred place, and turn'd the Lord's temple into a den of thieves, by your immoral principles and wicked practices? Ye are grown intolerably odious to the whole nation; you were deputed here by the people to get grievances redress'd, are yourselves gone! So! Take away that shining bauble there, and lock up the doors. In the name of God, go!"

How things have changed since Oliver Cromwell said this in 1653 ."

By *histler21Man
over a year ago

Ipswich

"I hear the men and women who think for us are about to get a pay rise whether they like it or not. What a difficult position the find themselves in!

And did anybody hear the newscast that quoted Mr Cameron saying the rise will enable them donate to charity?

Hands up if you will like a bit of help just so you can donate to charity. "

If this means they will be forced to give up outside paid work/consultancies - them I'm all for it.

By *uited staffs guyMan
over a year ago

staffordshire

If the MPs listened to the independent pay re_iew bodies for teachers, nurses, doctors etc then I'd have problem with their independent pay re_iew body recommending whatever it liked

By *heBirminghamWeekendMan
over a year ago

here

Damned if they do and damned if they don't.

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

But

"

My _iew is that they are public servants, paid for by the state. If all other public servants are capped to a 1% rise then that's what MPs should get.

The argument that the re_iew has determined the increase does not hold water when the same MPs have ignored the re_iews for other roles paid for by the state purse.

I don't think they get paid enough but I think that more about a lot of other jobs. For me it's not about what they are worth (I wouldn't do the job for double what they will be getting) but about being consistent on public spending and the policies that govern that. Accepting their re_iew and not others is inconsistent.

By *ouple in LancashireCouple
over a year ago

in Lancashire

What Lickety and Staffguy said..

its just another example of fuck you Jack were riding the gravy train till the wheels fall off and you lot aint even allowed on the platform..

or piss poor timing and judgement..

By *hil153Man
over a year ago

Bournemouth

[Removed by poster at 16/07/15 22:34:24]

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

But

"

well for me its the hypocritical stance of saying "well the 10% rise was dicatated by an independent body" arguement when independent bodies for both teachers and nurses bother recommended higher that inflation wage increase.. only be be slapped down by the government

so if the government get a 10% rise one year.... i'd certainly love a 10% rise.... but as a civil servant.... we had 3 years of pay freezes followed by 8 years of 1% rises thru to 2020... yey!!!

By *hil153Man
over a year ago

Bournemouth

Fat cats.. pigs in the trough ..expenses STILL claimed for everything and family members paid to be their "secretary" ....

Come the revolution

By *hil153Man
over a year ago

Bournemouth

But

well for me its the hypocritical stance of saying "well the 10% rise was dicatated by an independent body" arguement when independent bodies for both teachers and nurses bother recommended higher that inflation wage increase.. only be be slapped down by the government

so if the government get a 10% rise one year.... i'd certainly love a 10% rise.... but as a civil servant.... we had 3 years of pay freezes followed by 8 years of 1% rises thru to 2020... yey!!! "

Well said that man !!!

over a year ago

The overwhelming reason most (not all) people feel disgruntled when the subject of MP's getting pay rises comes around is because the general masses **think** they are just sat on their assholes doing nothing....

By *alandNitaCouple
over a year ago

Scunthorpe

But

so if the government get a 10% rise one year.... i'd certainly love a 10% rise.... but as a civil servant.... we had 3 years of pay freezes followed by 8 years of 1% rises thru to 2020... yey!!! "

In our local Authority we have had two 1% pay rises in the last 8 years. The last calculation showed us down 17% against inflation.

By *hil153Man
over a year ago

Bournemouth

"The overwhelming reason most (not all) people feel disgruntled when the subject of MP's getting pay rises comes around is because the general masses **think** they are just sat on their assholes doing nothing....

"

Mmmmm and ..... lol

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

"Fat cats.. pigs in the trough ..expenses STILL claimed for everything and family members paid to be their "secretary" ....

Come the revolution "

Don't underestimate the work done by those who genuinely fill the secretary role. I have less of a problem with them employing their partners simply because the hours they work mean they would not see them otherwise. If they then gave THEM a 10% pay rise too out of public money I would have a problem with that.

over a year ago

"The overwhelming reason most (not all) people feel disgruntled when the subject of MP's getting pay rises comes around is because the general masses **think** they are just sat on their assholes doing nothing....

Mmmmm and ..... lol"

No that's pretty much it.

By *hil153Man
over a year ago

Bournemouth

"Fat cats.. pigs in the trough ..expenses STILL claimed for everything and family members paid to be their "secretary" ....

Come the revolution

Don't underestimate the work done by those who genuinely fill the secretary role. I have less of a problem with them employing their partners simply because the hours they work mean they would not see them otherwise. If they then gave THEM a 10% pay rise too out of public money I would have a problem with that.

"

Im sure they do somehow ! No trace of course all part of the big scam called parliament

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

Come the revolution

Im sure they do somehow ! No trace of course all part of the big scam called parliament"

How would you organise government then?

By *o-jCouple
over a year ago

Outskirts of Notts

Is it true that there are 650 mp's , If so is that just England ?

Jo x

By *hil153Man
over a year ago

Bournemouth

Come the revolution

Im sure they do somehow ! No trace of course all part of the big scam called parliament

"

U cant at its present form its a systematic ideological place of power hungry saps .. guy fawkes had the right idea

over a year ago

in Lancashire

Come the revolution

U cant at its present form its a systematic ideological place of power hungry saps .. guy fawkes had the right idea"

not sure mass murder is the right solution ?

By *hil153Man
over a year ago

Bournemouth

Come the revolution

U cant at its present form its a systematic ideological place of power hungry saps .. guy fawkes had the right idea

not sure mass murder is the right solution ?"

No too good for most of the bottom feeders in there i guess

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

"Is it true that there are 650 mp's , If so is that just England ?

Jo x"

No, the 650 is the number for the UK. There are then there are 790 people eligible to be in the work of the House of Lords.

over a year ago

in Lancashire

Come the revolution

No too good for most of the bottom feeders in there i guess"

and on that less than mature comment that's me out..

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

Come the revolution

U cant at its present form its a systematic ideological place of power hungry saps .. guy fawkes had the right idea"

And you would ensure government how? That's just a building. The government would continue. So what do you have to offer as a better system to run a country?

By *hil153Man
over a year ago

Bournemouth

Come the revolution

No too good for most of the bottom feeders in there i guess

and on that less than mature comment that's me out.."

Bye xx

over a year ago

"Wish they'd donate their body parts to science right now instead...."

over a year ago

Didn't Belgium recently have a period of some 18 months where there was no elected Government and nothing untoward happened? It could catch on.

Pretty much like Belgium since '45 i suppose.

(Except for the Spa-Francorchamps track.)

over a year ago

if i was a politician i would set a nice wee example id rip the arse out of every penny i could get and teach the lesser gullible people you dont fuck about when it comes free money

over a year ago

"if i was a politician i would set a nice wee example id rip the arse out of every penny i could get and teach the lesser gullible people you dont fuck about when it comes free money "

Why not go the whole hog and get extra perks, you can shag N Sturgeon every Friday evening. For free.

over a year ago

"if i was a politician i would set a nice wee example id rip the arse out of every penny i could get and teach the lesser gullible people you dont fuck about when it comes free money

Why not go the whole hog and get extra perks, you can shag N Sturgeon every Friday evening. For free."

nah hard cash or check only

over a year ago

"if i was a politician i would set a nice wee example id rip the arse out of every penny i could get and teach the lesser gullible people you dont fuck about when it comes free money

Why not go the whole hog and get extra perks, you can shag N Sturgeon every Friday evening. For free.

nah hard cash or check only "

OK, as you drive a hard bargain, an MMF. Sturgeon and that stocky git who preceded her.

You can keep the video royalties.

over a year ago

They need the money for extra plumbing, to deal with all the shit they produce, be fair.

over a year ago

nah hard cash or check only

OK, as you drive a hard bargain, an MMF. Sturgeon and that stocky git who preceded her.

You can keep the video royalties.

"

nah shes too busy in westminister fucking peoples votes

By *lacksausage OP   Man
over a year ago

Birmingham Airport

[Removed by poster at 17/07/15 07:16:06]

By *lacksausage OP   Man
over a year ago

Birmingham Airport

In George Orwell's Animal Farm, the pigs(rulling class) banned the other animals from taking sugar while they themselves wallowed in the stuff. Their only excuse was that they needed sugar to aid brainwork.

All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others.

I have watched my salary stand still over the years, thinking it was for the general good; only to be slapped in the groin by this nonsense!

By *verysmileMan
over a year ago

CANTERBURY

"We are all in this together"....but apparently some are more "in this" than others.

over a year ago

Makes me wonder if the charity Saint David saviour of Britain was talking about was the various food banks that the population are requiring more and more?

over a year ago

""It is high time for me to put an end to your sitting in this place, which you have dishonored by your contempt of all virtue, and defiled by your practice of every vice; ye are a factious crew, and enemies to all good government; ye are a pack of mercenary wretches, and would like Esau sell your country for a mess of pottage, and like Judas betray your God for a few pieces of money. Is there a single virtue now remaining amongst you? Is there one vice you do not possess?

How things have changed since Oliver Cromwell said this in 1653 ."

Agreed except that it was replaced by a dictator. Cromwell was certainly not a caring sharing kind of guy. To paraphrase Churchill, democracy is the least worst system of Government

By *iss_tressWoman
over a year ago

London

But

My _iew is that they are public servants, paid for by the state. If all other public servants are capped to a 1% rise then that's what MPs should get.

The argument that the re_iew has determined the increase does not hold water when the same MPs have ignored the re_iews for other roles paid for by the state purse.

I don't think they get paid enough but I think that more about a lot of other jobs. For me it's not about what they are worth (I wouldn't do the job for double what they will be getting) but about being consistent on public spending and the policies that govern that. Accepting their re_iew and not others is inconsistent.

"

This!

over a year ago

Yes they get a 10% pay increase to 75k a year, way to much.

By *iss_tressWoman
over a year ago

London

"Yes they get a 10% pay increase to 75k a year, way to much."

Personally I don't think it's too much. It's the hypocrisy of ignoring the independent bodies of other public sector workers recommending salary increases whilst endorsing their own hefty 10% pay rise that sticks in my craw!

By *ack LondonMan
over a year ago

London

Politics and politicians.

Toxic.

over a year ago

"In George Orwell's Animal Farm, the pigs(rulling class) banned the other animals from taking sugar while they themselves wallowed in the stuff. Their only excuse was that they needed sugar to aid brainwork.

All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others.

I have watched my salary stand still over the years, thinking it was for the general good; only to be slapped in the groin by this nonsense! "

Note how they divert attention to the poor, disabled etc, so that people blame them instead of the real culprits.

over a year ago

But

"

Not in my current position. If I was an MP however, I would insist that I only received what the rest of the public sector got. Three quarters of fuck all.

By *ap AdgeMan
over a year ago

Wirral

They are paid enough end off why they employ their spouse or partner expensives claimed back also they worm.there way to boards of companies. Fucking lying thieving bastards

By *ap AdgeMan
over a year ago

Wirral

They are paid enough end off why they employ their spouse or partner expensives claimed back also they worm.there way to boards of companies. Fucking lying thieving bastards

over a year ago

""We are all in this together"....but apparently some are more "in this" than others. "

And don't forget "the broadest shoulders will carry the burden"...they soon stopped saying that.

over a year ago

Hello all,

did anyone hear the head of the department that made the decision, he also said that they would have a smaller pension and reduced expenses and that the rise would not cost a penny more to the taxpayer; to me that means they have not had a raise overall?

In other words the headlines do not reflect the truth, but make good headlines!

Alec

over a year ago

"Hello all,

did anyone hear the head of the department that made the decision, he also said that they would have a smaller pension and reduced expenses and that the rise would not cost a penny more to the taxpayer; to me that means they have not had a raise overall?

Alec"

Politicians, and their ilk, tend to give words a different meaning to the original meaning. Smaller pension = bigger. Not cost a penny more to the tax payer = cuts elsewhere to pay for it. etc.

By *anejohnkent6263Couple
over a year ago

canterbury

IM SURE THEY NEED AN EXTRA TEN THIS YR AND MORE NEXT .....JOB FOR THE BOYS ..they should get longer holidays as well

By *iewMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Angus & Findhorn

"IM SURE THEY NEED AN EXTRA TEN THIS YR AND MORE NEXT .....JOB FOR THE BOYS ..they should get longer holidays as well"

so how is being elected by the general public 'jobs for the boys'..... or do you mean the preselection to become the candidate

By *anejohnkent6263Couple
over a year ago

canterbury

more the way they all react once elected...funny how all parties seem to accept the rise don't hear the libs scotts or others saying no...I will not take my increase....all as bad as one another.....greedy bastards from top to bottom....

By *d871Man
over a year ago

nowhere

How very noble of them to donate it to charity! Of course that will go on their tax return for the year, thereby resulting in being able to claim a refund of all the higher rate tax they've paid. £7k x 40p = £2800.00

Which equates to a real terms pay rise of about 4.5%.

Still a lot more than the rest of us!

By *illwill69uMan
over a year ago

moston

"I hear the men and women who think for us are about to get a pay rise whether they like it or not. What a difficult position the find themselves in!

Have to say I would give them the pay rise plus a lot more, after all they are the people we elect to represent us and make our laws.

However, I would ban them from doing anything else, or taking payments from any other source, and I would make the penalties for being caught taking money or promises of future money or positions or representing any other than their constituents so extreme that only fools and the mad would take the risk.

By *iamondjoeMan
over a year ago

Glastonbury

Thb, I don't begrudge MPs their pay rise.

Because it's been such a toxic subject for so long they used side rules (eg expenses) to circumvent it.

And besides, do you want a House full of people who are only there because they are rich enough to afford it...?

over a year ago

not much shagging going on in here

By *ildt123Man
over a year ago

Huddersfield

I cannot understand why MP pay is not linked to public sector pay, they are public sector after all, tax pays their wages just like us in the NHS, who incidentally have not had a pay rise in 6 years, and because of changes to allowances etc I'm £1200 a year worse off than I was 6 years ago! Last years supposed 1% was temporary and has been withdrawn and wasn't pensionable. This years 1% will simply take over from last years con!

Lying cheating hypocritical pigs at the trough on both sides of the house imho.

All in this together my hairy arse!!!!

over a year ago

I work for a living all I ever read in the paper is these dole heads costing the tax paper around £25million a year how it's a disgrace their named and shamed all over the paper as scrounges and rightly so if you can physically work I don't understand why you shouldn't.

Politicians bankers celebs basically anyone who's rich costs the country £5BILLION a year in expenses and legal tax loopholes not 5million 5 BILLION but we're just pesants and shouldn't talk about that.

Put the mp's on minimum wage and see how things change for everyone

over a year ago

Perhaps you should read up on this more. With the reduction in expenses allowances the impact to the public purse is cost neutral.

over a year ago

in Lancashire

"Yes they get a 10% pay increase to 75k a year, way to much.

Personally I don't think it's too much. It's the hypocrisy of ignoring the independent bodies of other public sector workers recommending salary increases whilst endorsing their own hefty 10% pay rise that sticks in my craw! "

this..

By *nnyMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

[Removed by poster at 17/07/15 17:58:17]

By *nnyMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

"I work for a living all I ever read in the paper is these dole heads costing the tax paper around £25million a year how it's a disgrace their named and shamed all over the paper as scrounges and rightly so if you can physically work I don't understand why you shouldn't.

Politicians bankers celebs basically anyone who's rich costs the country £5BILLION a year in expenses and legal tax loopholes not 5million 5 BILLION but we're just pesants and shouldn't talk about that.

Put the mp's on minimum wage and see how things change for everyone"

If MPs were paid National Minimum Wage, the only people who could afford to stand would be those who are already seriously wealthy.

That's the last thing we want.

over a year ago

what people should be talking about and stopping is the peadophilles in west minster, this country is run by nonces fact.. but nobody cares, makes me sick

By *iewMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Angus & Findhorn

"what people should be talking about and stopping is the peadophilles in west minster, this country is run by nonces fact.. but nobody cares, makes me sick"

seriously...

By *eforfuncplCouple
over a year ago

Morecambe

We already do donate to charity !!!!

Bastards aren't they !! 10% it's an outrage ! Embarrassing

By *nnyMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

We already do donate to charity !!!!

Bastards aren't they !! 10% it's an outrage ! Embarrassing "

More than a few MPs find it embarrassing too - but they don't have a choice about whether or not to take the pay rise.

The only decision to be made is what to do with it.

over a year ago

"tax pays their wages just like us in the NHS, who incidentally have not had a pay rise in 6 years, "

What part of "just because you haven't had a pay rise DOES'NT mean anyone else should"....

What part of that do people NOT get?...

over a year ago

"Thb, I don't begrudge MPs their pay rise.

Because it's been such a toxic subject for so long they used side rules (eg expenses) to circumvent it.

And besides, do you want a House full of people who are only there because they are rich enough to afford it...?"

How about a house full of people that think 70k is more than enough. Like the majority of the country?

over a year ago

"tax pays their wages just like us in the NHS, who incidentally have not had a pay rise in 6 years,

What part of "just because you haven't had a pay rise DOES'NT mean anyone else should"....

What part of that do people NOT get?..."

I think it's the part where MPs used an independent re_iew board to support the increase...

But ignored an independent re_iew boards recommendations for increases for other workers ...I.e. Nurses

Just that part.

over a year ago

"I.e. Nurses

"

Nurses don't work hard enough.

over a year ago

"I.e. Nurses

...... "

For you to agree with the recommendations made by the independent re_iew panel?

Alas your opinion on the matter counted for as much as the _iews of the panel itself!

over a year ago

"I.e. Nurses

Alas your opinion on the matter counted for as much as the _iews of the panel itself! "

Jesus H christ.

It was a joke.

I wasn't being. . You know. . Serious.

over a year ago

"I.e. Nurses

Alas your opinion on the matter counted for as much as the _iews of the panel itself!

Jesus H christ.

It was a joke.

I wasn't being. . You know. . Serious. "

That was quite evident...hence my focus shifting toward how much of a joke the whole situation is... I should have added a funny face at the end of my sentence ...

over a year ago

But

"

What are the chances of any of us being offered a 10% pay rise though, is the question you should be asking...

By *trawberry-popWoman
over a year ago

South East Midlands NOT

[Removed by poster at 19/07/15 02:16:00]

By *trawberry-popWoman
over a year ago

South East Midlands NOT

Hahaha. I haven't had a pay rise full stop in the last 3 years. If I get one at all (i'll be lucky) it will be up to an absolute maximum of 5% on my modest salary.

By *lacksausage OP   Man
over a year ago

Birmingham Airport

If I had a 10% rise, oooooh, I would ...

By *andS66Couple
over a year ago

Derby

And how long will it be before they stop donating to charity?

By *andS66Couple
over a year ago

Derby

"Hello all,

Alec"

Look up their new improved 'smaller pension', and then say if you wouldn't want it. As for expenses, the expense scheme is being brought more into line with what the rest of us have to do, that is provide receipts for legitimate claims.

Expenses are to ensure that you are not out of pocket for payments made in carrying out your work. A salary is recompense for doing that work.

So to recompense them for not being able to claim expenses that don't actually exist, they are giving them a 10% rise.

over a year ago

They give themselves a pay rise then ensure no one else will be able to get one as they change the rules for strike action;

the Trade Union Bill would impose a minimum 50% turnout - and public sector strikes would need the backing of at least 40% of those eligible to vote

Remember the conservatives run the country with only 39% vote backing, if they played by their own new rules they would not be in power

By *nnyMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

And how long will it be before they stop donating to charity?"

Most (the Tories) will try to get out of giving it away after year 1.

It's your job, and mine, to hold them to account.

By *andS66Couple
over a year ago

Derby

And how long will it be before they stop donating to charity?

Most (the Tories) will try to get out of giving it away after year 1.

It's your job, and mine, to hold them to account."

Not most, ALL.... Labour, SNP, Lib Dens, et al are all just as greedy and self serving.

By *andS66Couple
over a year ago

Derby

"I work for a living all I ever read in the paper is these dole heads costing the tax paper around £25million a year how it's a disgrace their named and shamed all over the paper as scrounges and rightly so if you can physically work I don't understand why you shouldn't.

Put the mp's on minimum wage and see how things change for everyone"

25 Million? Your figures are wrong. Figures for 2011/12 are

Employment Support 4 Billion

Income support 7 Billion

Housing benefit 17 Billion

Job seekers Allowance 5 Billion

Council tax benefit 5 Billion

Rent rebates 5 Billion

Tax credits 30 Billion

That's a total of 73 Billion

Or 286 times more than you're quoting. Or nearly 15 times more than the expenses and LEGAL tax loopholes you refer to... which by the way, what is wrong with a legal tax loophole? Every working person in this country is given a legal tax loophole automatically, it's called the tax allowance. It saves everybody about £2,000 per year in tax. And unemployed people are allowed up to £23,000 in benefits, which are tax free.

I don't agree with the MPs rise, but don't quote figures which are simply way off beam. Neither do I agree, however, that a nurse earns about 20k before tax, someone who doesn't work can get 23k with no tax, and a tube driver is on a basic of 48k. But that's life...

over a year ago

There's another 20 billion being cut from welfare in the next budget. No idea how yet.

over a year ago

I work for a charity and have just found out we're all being made redundant due to local government funding cuts.

The irony!

By *andS66Couple
over a year ago

Derby

"There's another 20 billion being cut from welfare in the next budget. No idea how yet."

They won't do it... it's as simple as that. Osborne's asked for so much knowing it's not possible... so that he can squeeze as much saving as possible out.

The only place really is tax credits... I've never understood why my taxes should go to subsidise companies' profits by allowing those companies to pay artificially low wages.

Labour have completely lost their way... I heard (I think it was Yvette Cooper) say yesterday that they should explore two minimum wages... one for large companies, and one for small companies...

By *nnyMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

I work for a charity and have just found out we're all being made redundant due to local government funding cuts.

The irony!"

A number of charities with Scottish based offices are being relocated to London.

BTW. I'm not sure it's the job of local government to give to charities.

over a year ago

"There's another 20 billion being cut from welfare in the next budget. No idea how yet.

They won't do it... it's as simple as that. Osborne's asked for so much knowing it's not possible... so that he can squeeze as much saving as possible out.

The only place really is tax credits... I've never understood why my taxes should go to subsidise companies' profits by allowing those companies to pay artificially low wages.

Labour have completely lost their way... I heard (I think it was Yvette Cooper) say yesterday that they should explore two minimum wages... one for large companies, and one for small companies...

"

The big companies will find a way to turn themselves into small companies probably, but i do think small business should be helped out more, the big companies don't need it.

over a year ago

"They give themselves a pay rise then ensure no one else will be able to get one as they change the rules for strike action;

the Trade Union Bill would impose a minimum 50% turnout - and public sector strikes would need the backing of at least 40% of those eligible to vote

Remember the conservatives run the country with only 39% vote backing, if they played by their own new rules they would not be in power"

It's not a great analogy, to strike or not to strike is a simple yes/no decision. In an election there are a multitude of alternatives. I agree with the right of workers to withdraw their labour, but I also think the proposals are right, and in many ways give a union a much stronger mandate then the current rules.

over a year ago

I want friends with benefits

Post new Message to Thread