Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Shops to be open longer on Sundays.

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Its been a lot on the news recently and do you think its a good idea? I think it is cos it means you can get stuff after 5pm. Unless you go to your local corner shop

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

About bloomin time the Sunday trading laws were brought into the 21st century

over a year ago

Not if you work in retail it isn't

over a year ago

No I don't agree at all. there's enough shopping hours in the week and saturday/Sunday without longer hours sunday

over a year ago

I am a fan of Keep Sunday Special. Surely one day a week where all the family can be together isnt too much to ask. Even God was knackered after a 6 day working week and had Sunday off

over a year ago

Do we really need shops open 24/7 most are only shut for a few hours on a Sunday if we can't get what we need in the time they are open now do we really need it at all

over a year ago

what we need are all the shops to be open 24/7 365 days of the year ! Its what this amazing life and our existence is all about shopping and the consumption of shite we dont need. FFS if i cant go out at 10pm on a sunday and buy a pair of trainers with lights and wheels in i start questioning why are we here and just get depressed

By *radleyandRavenCouple
over a year ago

Herts

It's fine if YOU don't work in retail. I'm glad I no longer do but feel for those who do.

I may not be religious but I, for one, used to relish that 4pm close one day a week where I was guranteed to be home in time to be able to have at least one proper sit down meal with the family.

There are enough shopping hours during the week. - Sundays should stay as they are.

- Amy. x

By *orflondonerMan
over a year ago

Wood Green

[Removed by poster at 16/07/15 19:02:48]

By *orflondonerMan
over a year ago

Wood Green

"It's fine if YOU don't work in retail. I'm glad I no longer do but feel for those who do.

I may not be religious but I, for one, used to relish that 4pm close one day a week where I was guranteed to be home in time to be able to have at least one proper sit down meal with the family.

There are enough shopping hours during the week. - Sundays should stay as they are.

- Amy. x"

Agreed.

I work in retail.And about 5 years ago took a pay cut and a step sideways so i didnt have to work Sundays.

I personally think we should go back to the way it was.

One a day a week where retail staff can feel like the rest of the human race isn't to much to ask.

If shops hours change, then i think offices,factories and building sites should as well

Fairs ,fair

By *ee VianteWoman
over a year ago

Somewhere in North Norfolk

I'm not particularly bothered either way.

over a year ago

"what we need are all the shops to be open 24/7 365 days of the year ! Its what this amazing life and our existence is all about shopping and the consumption of shite we dont need. FFS if i cant go out at 10pm on a sunday and buy a pair of trainers with lights and wheels in i start questioning why are we here and just get depressed "

over a year ago

God will smite everybody and bring damnation upon the Earth

By *ee VianteWoman
over a year ago

Somewhere in North Norfolk

"what we need are all the shops to be open 24/7 365 days of the year ! Its what this amazing life and our existence is all about shopping and the consumption of shite we dont need. FFS if i cant go out at 10pm on a sunday and buy a pair of trainers with lights and wheels in i start questioning why are we here and just get depressed

"

Wait! It's possible to get trainers with lights and wheels?

Are the shops open now?!

By *heBirminghamWeekendMan
over a year ago

here

I don't think opening longer on a Sunday will increase sales.

over a year ago

When I worked in retail it was alongside studying in the week, so I would have liked longer opening hours on a Sunday so I could have got a full day's hours, instead of 11-5 which took up most of the day anyway without being paid for a full length shift or getting a paid lunch break.

A lot of other jobs are moving to 7 days a week. All the stuff about a 7 day NHS for example: I haven't heard the same arguments about being entitled to a day off with their family about doctors and nurses....

I do think it's unnecessary though, so I'm partly just playing devil's advocate.

over a year ago

"It's fine if YOU don't work in retail. I'm glad I no longer do but feel for those who do.

- Amy. x

Agreed.

I work in retail.And about 5 years ago took a pay cut and a step sideways so i didnt have to work Sundays.

One a day a week where retail staff can feel like the rest of the human race isn't to much to ask.

If shops hours change, then i think offices,factories and building sites should as well

Fairs ,fair"

By *lik and PaulCouple
over a year ago

Flagrante

I might be a relic of a bygone age but shops used to close half day during the week (Wednesday where I lived) and nothing/virtually nothing opened on a Sunday and, come to think of it, later than around 5.30 any day....and guess what...nobody starved or couldn't buy what they wanted...they just had to wait until the shops opened.

over a year ago

"I might be a relic of a bygone age but shops used to close half day during the week (Wednesday where I lived) and nothing/virtually nothing opened on a Sunday and, come to think of it, later than around 5.30 any day....and guess what...nobody starved or couldn't buy what they wanted...they just had to wait until the shops opened. "

over a year ago

"I might be a relic of a bygone age but shops used to close half day during the week (Wednesday where I lived) and nothing/virtually nothing opened on a Sunday and, come to think of it, later than around 5.30 any day....and guess what...nobody starved or couldn't buy what they wanted...they just had to wait until the shops opened.

"

But with a lot of people working longer hours, shops have had to change to keep up. I work all week till well past 5:30, sometimes Saturdays too, if it wasn't for late opening in the week and Sunday opening I would never go in any shops. That would probably be a good thing for my bank balance and waistline, but not so good for the shops and therefore those who work in them.

over a year ago

why not close all shops for Sunday still gives you six days

By *osafewordneededMan
over a year ago

City

I think it should only apply to cities. Places outside cities should remain sleepy on the weekend

By *radleyandRavenCouple
over a year ago

Herts

"A lot of other jobs are moving to 7 days a week. All the stuff about a 7 day NHS for example: I haven't heard the same arguments about being entitled to a day off with their family about doctors and nurses..."

I don't agree with that either.

Fair enough, there are certain jobs you would expect to work 24/7 (i.e: Emergency services, any job that requires basic needs to be met - i.e: caring for patients in hospitals, caring for the elderly, disabled and working with animals, etc). But I don't think ALL aspects of the NHS should be running 24/7.

over a year ago

"A lot of other jobs are moving to 7 days a week. All the stuff about a 7 day NHS for example: I haven't heard the same arguments about being entitled to a day off with their family about doctors and nurses...

I don't agree with that either.

Fair enough, there are certain jobs you would expect to work 24/7 (i.e: Emergency services, any job that requires basic needs to be met - i.e: caring for patients in hospitals, caring for the elderly, disabled and working with animals, etc). But I don't think ALL aspects of the NHS should be running 24/7."

And that's just what the government has now said , that the NHS is a second class service at weekends, so winding up those that work in the NHS again .

over a year ago

Up here you can already shop in the supermarkets 24 hours including a Sunday.

By *andeCouple
over a year ago

Bognor area

I would like the banks to be open longer - it's a nightmare trying to get to a bank when its open if you don't live/work in a decent sized town

By *dsindyTV/TS
over a year ago

East Lancashire

FFS, can we not get what we want during the wek or on Saturdays?

I for one would like to see a REDUCTION in Sunday shopping hours, perhaps even a total 24 hour closure by the big superstore chains and only local shops allowed to trade.

over a year ago

Hmmmm didnt see people complaining this much when bars and pubs had the 24hr licence brought in.. What about the people in the entertainment trade hey why dont we close pubs on sunday then if you want supermarkets closed so they can have a day off

By *untimegeekMan
over a year ago

Havant

People always moan about retail staff working longer hours if shops opened longer sundays ,all workers are covered by the working time directive , so if you had to work Sundays you would just have another day off instead ?? ???

over a year ago

If you are the sort of person who thinks that longer Sunday opening hours is a good tbing you probably need yo take a long hatd life atvtge things that are important in your life and why?

This ever growing need for a 24 hour consumerist culture is utterly pointless

By *oobsandballsMan
over a year ago

st andrews

I remember when all the shops were shut on Sundays, kind of miss that

over a year ago

so what happens with asda and tesco down their do the close on a sanday or stay open 24 hours ?

over a year ago

I'd genuinely like to know hiw anyone would think being able to go to tesco or asda on a Sunday evening is in anyway a good thing? What benefits does it actually bring to society?

By *untimegeekMan
over a year ago

Havant

Well I could get the kids dinner on the way home from work at 6pm

over a year ago

"I'd genuinely like to know hiw anyone would think being able to go to tesco or asda on a Sunday evening is in anyway a good thing? What benefits does it actually bring to society? "

creates jobs overtime and helps prevent starvation ... and is quite handy when you get turned back from a pub for wearing trainers

over a year ago

"If you are the sort of person who thinks that longer Sunday opening hours is a good tbing you probably need yo take a long hatd life atvtge things that are important in your life and why?

This ever growing need for a 24 hour consumerist culture is utterly pointless"

Well if I want to wake up at 3pm on a sunday.. Drag my ass out of bed and shower then realise Im starved but now really fancy a roast dinner it would be nice to be able to go to the supermarket!

Most of the week I am working three jobs so going to the supermarket usually gets left to the weekend so it would be nice to have the flexibility

over a year ago

The whole 9 to 5 five day week is a blast from the past. Surely the shops opening times are just a reflection of this? I can't see me rushing out to buy things, but I would like the choice of when I spend. I worked weekend for years. I knew having to do that was part of the job when I took it.

By *o-jCouple
over a year ago

Outskirts of Notts

One scenario ,

People have no more money to spend than they did just spread out the time they shop , shops open longer more electricity / gas used , more staff hours used but no more money in the till at the end of the week , price of goods have to go up to cover these extra costs .

And the really annoying thing is most people only realise they need things late at night when they're having a party or fancy one more , and alcohol still wont be on sale due to licencing laws .

Jo x

over a year ago

"If you are the sort of person who thinks that longer Sunday opening hours is a good tbing you probably need yo take a long hatd life atvtge things that are important in your life and why?

That's a little excessive. A lot of people work all week and Saturday so sunday is the only day to do it. Granted, I could go before 4pm, but it doesn't make me a symbol of a raging consumerist society because it's the only day I'm not at work

over a year ago

"One scenario ,

People have no more money to spend than they did just spread out the time they shop , shops open longer more electricity / gas used , more staff hours used but no more money in the till at the end of the week , price of goods have to go up to cover these extra costs .

And the really annoying thing is most people only realise they need things late at night when they're having a party or fancy one more , and alcohol still wont be on sale due to licencing laws .

Jo x"

Erm alcohol can be sold 24hrs a day now

over a year ago

"One scenario ,

Jo x"

completely wrong every asda or tesco has staff working 24 hours stacking shelfs taking delivery's cleaning it doesnt cost much to open the door and stick someone on a till if they need to but most are self check out so it barley costs anything

By *heBirminghamWeekendMan
over a year ago

here

Only one step away from opening at Easter and Christmas Day

over a year ago

does MacDonalds open 24 hours down their ?

over a year ago

"does MacDonalds open 24 hours down their ? "

Some do some dont.. Lots are franchised so can decide their hours

over a year ago

"does MacDonalds open 24 hours down their ?

Some do some dont.. Lots are franchised so can decide their hours "

so whats the laws on asda ? ours only close Christmas and new year

over a year ago

"does MacDonalds open 24 hours down their ?

Some do some dont.. Lots are franchised so can decide their hours

so whats the laws on asda ? ours only close Christmas and new year "

Most open 24hrs but close at 10 on a saturday night then reopen 10-4 or 11-5 on sunday

Closed christmas day, new years day and easter sunday

By *orflondonerMan
over a year ago

Wood Green

Was listening to an independent retail advisor on the radio about 18 months ago( boring i know, but when you work in the trade,it sometimes pays to listen) and she reckoned that with online shopping, longer hours would be unnecessary in a few years time.Don't see any evidence of this yet, but it made sense.And you right ,whatever they add to the day,we only have the same amount of money to spend.

By *orflondonerMan
over a year ago

Wood Green

"Only one step away from opening at Easter and Christmas Day "

Yep.

We were always closed on Boxing day.Then one of the bigwig directors retired and they opened,first chance they gotWe use to close at 4 on xmas eve, now its 6.It will gradually go.

Shame

over a year ago

Don't work in retail but am opposed to longer Sunday hours. We've already got people working in the small hours due to 24 hour shopping. Give the poor buggers a break. As has been said if you can't get what you need in the current shopping hours get a grip lol.

over a year ago

i dont think the people that work in asda would mined working on a sunday or at least they should have done their research before climbing into the back of trucks

By *untimegeekMan
over a year ago

Havant

"Don't work in retail but am opposed to longer Sunday hours. We've already got people working in the small hours due to 24 hour shopping. Give the poor buggers a break. As has been said if you can't get what you need in the current shopping hours get a grip lol. "

As you can only work 48hrs a week what difference does it make which day it is ?? I chose to work all day most Sundays or evenings so I get mornings sorting kids out works for me

By *issHottieBottieWoman
over a year ago

Kent

I don't buy anything from supermarkets anyway it all gets delivered one evening midweek. And the little shop opposite me for milk etc if I nedd a top up. I csn think of nothing worse than dragging myself round a supermarket at the weekend when I'm off work. I buy nearly everything online including clothes! I hate shopping!

By *oachman 9CoolMan
over a year ago

derby

"I don't think opening longer on a Sunday will increase sales.

"

Look at asda they work around the clock one day off a year, christmas, If you survive 40 years in that environment.. before you get your gold watch good luck to you, I bet its Different for management haveing time off etc, welcome to the rat race.

By *uby0000Woman
over a year ago

hertfordshire

its ok as it is

over a year ago

"I remember when all the shops were shut on Sundays, kind of miss that "

Me too. Used to ride my pony up the high street. No traffic and no one else around

By *o-jCouple
over a year ago

Outskirts of Notts

"One scenario ,

Jo x

Erm alcohol can be sold 24hrs a day now "

Not in shops and supermarkets

over a year ago

"One scenario ,

Jo x

Erm alcohol can be sold 24hrs a day now

Not in shops and supermarkets "

Yes they can I was in at 2am last week buying alcohol

By *histler21Man
over a year ago

Ipswich

"Its been a lot on the news recently and do you think its a good idea? I think it is cos it means you can get stuff after 5pm. Unless you go to your local corner shop "

There is only so much money you have available to spend. The shops won't take any more or any less in the long run - it will just be spread more evenly throughout the week.

By *heHoneymonstersCouple
over a year ago

cambridge

Please god no, I work in retail and with 2 kids and a hubby at home Sunday is my only family day because it is so short it only needs 1 supervisor in, if they extend the hrs I will be expected to work, I'll never see my family ??

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

I'm not a big fan of it, as it could spend more of the end of our high streets in the UK, which are centuries old.

Main reason too is that people have less and less control over when they're working, with the expectation becoming more normal that people will work at any unsociable hour that an employer wants.

I like the way that only smaller retailers are able to open longer hours on Sundays now - that works for me.

Overall, I believe that staff deserve some protected free time and that employment contracts should reflect this. It is likely better for families to have more time together.

We need to worship at the altar of retail a little less and not expecting others to work and serve us whenever we want it.

By *radleyandRavenCouple
over a year ago

Herts

I couldn't see it lasting long anyway. I worked in one of the busiest shopping areas in Hertfordshire and Sundays were barely worth it as it was. The shop probably just took enough to justify opening (when you take into account paying staff, bills, etc).

For many shops, I can't see it being worth their while.

By *angerousEyesMan
over a year ago

weston

I remember growing up in a village with Sunday closing and half day Wednesday, what a pain that was! Hopefully it will mean more jobs as long as not zero hour contracts. So I'm in favour, have worked the last 10+ years with a 24/7 shift pattern aslong as there's some flexibility and more proper jobs its a good thing.

over a year ago

"Don't work in retail but am opposed to longer Sunday hours. We've already got people working in the small hours due to 24 hour shopping. Give the poor buggers a break. As has been said if you can't get what you need in the current shopping hours get a grip lol.

As you can only work 48hrs a week what difference does it make which day it is ?? I chose to work all day most Sundays or evenings so I get mornings sorting kids out works for me "

It will work for some I guess. Not wishing to get personal but wouldn't you be happier spending time on a weekend with your kids rather than working?

By *nnyMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

"I couldn't see it lasting long anyway. I worked in one of the busiest shopping areas in Hertfordshire and Sundays were barely worth it as it was. The shop probably just took enough to justify opening (when you take into account paying staff, bills, etc).

For many shops, I can't see it being worth their while."

Shops in Scotland find it worthwhile.

over a year ago

Where I live I do find it very handy if I need to pop to "big supermarket" at 11pm on a Sunday to pick something up. I remember living in Brum and continually popping down to the same supermarket at 4:30pm on a Sunday to pick up something for dinner to find it shut Beans on toast again then.

Interestingly, I'm in southern Spain at the moment and most supermarkets and big retail shops have big adverts up "open 365 days"!!! Now that I find excessive!

By *at69driveMan
over a year ago

Hertford

"Its been a lot on the news recently and do you think its a good idea? I think it is cos it means you can get stuff after 5pm. Unless you go to your local corner shop "
. I think Sunday should be kept as a special day . The shops are already open enough hours for people to buy the things that they need.

over a year ago

"I'd genuinely like to know hiw anyone would think being able to go to tesco or asda on a Sunday evening is in anyway a good thing? What benefits does it actually bring to society?

creates jobs overtime and helps prevent starvation ... and is quite handy when you get turned back from a pub for wearing trainers "

You think people working a Sunday get paid overtime

over a year ago

"I remember growing up in a village with Sunday closing and half day Wednesday, what a pain that was! Hopefully it will mean more jobs as long as not zero hour contracts. So I'm in favour, have worked the last 10+ years with a 24/7 shift pattern aslong as there's some flexibility and more proper jobs its a good thing."

you think what this country needs is more service sector jobs and service sector jobs are "proper jobs" ?

By *orflondonerMan
over a year ago

Wood Green

I think people who don't work in retail are a bit confused to how it will all work.

1. Over time.Paid overtime on a Sunday went in the 90s.

2. Create more jobs. It won't,or very very few.What will happen is the current staff will just adjust their working week to cover it3.More money will be spend.Again, very little/In the west end it will give the arabs and tourist something to do until the casinos and the theatres open.

This will not benefit many people

By *angerousEyesMan
over a year ago

weston

"I remember growing up in a village with Sunday closing and half day Wednesday, what a pain that was! Hopefully it will mean more jobs as long as not zero hour contracts. So I'm in favour, have worked the last 10+ years with a 24/7 shift pattern aslong as there's some flexibility and more proper jobs its a good thing.

you think what this country needs is more service sector jobs and service sector jobs are "proper jobs" ? "

And you don't? Tell that to the thousands who work in that sector.

By *exyspecs and supermanCouple
over a year ago

A house, a very big house in the country

No I don't. Spent 6 yrs living in Germany where all shops are closed all day apart from bakeries/cafés

Brought the families together. A layed back day no rushing around people just enjoyed there day off.Did shopping throughout the week or on Saturday's.

I remember as a child the shops being closed here in the uk on a Sunday

over a year ago

I would go back to closing midday Saturday, and Wednesdays too, compensate that with later opening say 7pm on the other days... I hate bloody shopping, Sunday should be country pub day all summer long ad duvet days in the winter.

over a year ago

Forgot to say also now we're in a technological era surly if the shops shut on a Sunday couldn't you just buy what you needed online?

over a year ago

"I would go back to closing midday Saturday, and Wednesdays too, compensate that with later opening say 7pm on the other days... I hate bloody shopping, Sunday should be country pub day all summer long ad duvet days in the winter."

over a year ago

- Amy. x

Agreed.

Fairs ,fair"

A LOT of industries do run 24/7.

Chemical, paper, brewing, steel, mining, not to mention the hospitals etc. But they have to due to their very nature. It would be very impractical and uneconomic for the to shut at weekends. But retail etc really had no reason other than greed to open 24/7. If you can shut at weekends, you should.

over a year ago

"People always moan about retail staff working longer hours if shops opened longer sundays ,all workers are covered by the working time directive , so if you had to work Sundays you would just have another day off instead ?? ???"

The working time directive isn't worth tuppence. You try to get a retail job without signing a waiver. They won't hire you. Same as a lot of industry.

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

"No I don't. Spent 6 yrs living in Germany where all shops are closed all day apart from bakeries/cafés

Brought the families together. A layed back day no rushing around people just enjoyed there day off.Did shopping throughout the week or on Saturday's.

. "

Similar here - it's great spending time with family in Germany and I think people in the UK would benefit too, if some of the week was kept sacrosanct from yet more retail opening hours.

As much as it's reasonable to dislike large supermarket practices, they do at least have smaller branches open till later on Sundays, should people need odd bits of food.

I generally do not think longer Sunday hours is great for retail staff. Less freedom, more control of them, less time free when their friends and family are and this in an era when terribly employer centric contracts, less favourable to staff, are the norm.

I'm not religious in the slightest, but see that having one day a week when we all can be more together is a good thing.

over a year ago

"No I don't. Spent 6 yrs living in Germany where all shops are closed all day apart from bakeries/cafés

Similar here - it's great spending time with family in Germany and I think people in the UK would benefit too, if some of the week was kept sacrosanct from yet more retail opening hours.

As much as it's reasonable to dislike large supermarket practices, they do at least have smaller branches open till later on Sundays, should people need odd bits of food.

I generally do not think longer Sunday hours is great for retail staff. Less freedom, more control of them, less time free when their friends and family are and this in an era when terribly employer centric contracts, less favourable to staff, are the norm.

I'm not religious in the slightest, but see that having one day a week when we all can be more together is a good thing."

I have no family near me so thats a bit unfair on people who are alone

There is also no small branch near me in walking distance so im screwed when the supermarkets close so i think its relative to whats near aswell

By *eforfuncplCouple
over a year ago

Morecambe

"Not if you work in retail it isn't "

Just means more jobs for more people xx

over a year ago

"I remember growing up in a village with Sunday closing and half day Wednesday, what a pain that was! Hopefully it will mean more jobs as long as not zero hour contracts. So I'm in favour, have worked the last 10+ years with a 24/7 shift pattern aslong as there's some flexibility and more proper jobs its a good thing.

you think what this country needs is more service sector jobs and service sector jobs are "proper jobs" ?

And you don't? Tell that to the thousands who work in that sector."

You seemingly couldnt get the jist. the jist is service sector jobs create absolutely no wealth what so ever. we have a whole country working in the service sector which leaves us reliant on the city of london for creating wealth. which means that the city is to powerful and can hold the govt and country to ransom.

over a year ago

"I have no family near me so thats a bit unfair on people who are alone

There is also no small branch near me in walking distance so im screwed when the supermarkets close so i think its relative to whats near aswell "

But you do, you have a child who would love it if all the local children were in the habit of gathering in the park rather than going shopping... Also you probably have a fridge and a freezer, can you really not manage 1 day without a supermarket?

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Did you know, in Spain in Alicante all shops are closed on sundays as its a siesta day, so everyone would have to do the shopping on Saturdays.

Could it work in a city tho like London? Or should it be more considered outside as London is the economy hub for great Britain?.

over a year ago

"I have no family near me so thats a bit unfair on people who are alone

There is also no small branch near me in walking distance so im screwed when the supermarkets close so i think its relative to whats near aswell

But you do, you have a child who would love it if all the local children were in the habit of gathering in the park rather than going shopping... Also you probably have a fridge and a freezer, can you really not manage 1 day without a supermarket?"

I dont have kids :/

I dont eat frozen food and due to my stomach problems i sometimes have to decide on the day what I am able to eat and it has to be fresh

over a year ago

It's about time, all this Sunday closing hours is an ancient canon law, back in the days when everyone went to church on Sundays. However we are now living in a 24 society, I haven't worked a 9-5 job for over 15 years, and weekend working has been part of my contract from most of it.

I work in warehousing and I don't get bank holidays or Sundays off, I get two fixed days off each year, Xmas day and new years day, which is generous compared to the emergency services. Banks and supermarkets get it far too easy, they need to catch up with the times.

over a year ago

"Banks and supermarkets get it far too easy, they need to catch up with the times. "

But are the times right?

Are things improved by people working more hours?

When I was young they talked about shorter working hours with mechanisation taking over all mundane jobs, instead it is going the other way, back then all but essential services worked a 5 day week those that worked weekends got paid unsociable hours bonuses.

I usually earned my money working on systems that needed to be closed down while I worked, so nights and weekends were usual, and I got paid extra for my efforts. When most working is 24 / 7 then there is no unsociable hours or extra pay.

By *ogistical NightmaresCouple
over a year ago

Manchester Area

"If shops hours change, then i think offices,factories and building sites should as well

Fairs ,fair"

Call centres and offices-some already 365 & 24/7..... factories, manufacturing and process plants been doing it for years, called rotating shift patterns ..... building projects and construction sites, have visited plenty with round the clock operation for major projects(with the exception of large areas of roads with cones but no workers)..... emergency services 365 and 24/7......... transport and logistics 365 & 24/7 .... utilities generation 365 and 24/7.... armed forces..... NHS..... security.... apologies to any category I have missed who have been working antisocial hours for years

By *arry247Couple
over a year ago

Wakefield

"I might be a relic of a bygone age but shops used to close half day during the week (Wednesday where I lived) and nothing/virtually nothing opened on a Sunday and, come to think of it, later than around 5.30 any day....and guess what...nobody starved or couldn't buy what they wanted...they just had to wait until the shops opened. "

Very good but what about the many who work shifts and cannot get to the shops between 9 & 5.30.

There is no reason on earth why, not only shops, but libraries museums etc are not allowed to open 24 hours a day 7 days a week.

We are in the 21st century not the 19th

over a year ago

"There is no reason on earth why, not only shops, but libraries museums etc are not allowed to open 24 hours a day 7 days a week.

We are in the 21st century not the 19th

"

OK so a basic wage should be around £20,000 (+50% for London) so a shop / museum / library needs 1 staff year to open 40 hours a week or 4.2 to open 168 so instead of needing to earn £20,000 in 40 hours you now need to earn £84,000 in 168.

The economics really don't stack up unless we use the facilities 24/7, think we will need more people!

Shift workers managed to survive in the 60's and 70's without 24/7 shops, I think we could again. after all most times I shop in the early hours the shop is empty apart from me, all those lights al those staff... on my shopping bill

By *aneandpaulCouple
over a year ago

cleveleys

The government will back it 1000 it gets the job less figures down

By *ackandkateCouple
over a year ago

Truro

Our village Spar opens at 6.30am and shuts at 10pm every day. It only shuts Christmas Day

Post new Message to Thread