Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Surgery

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

I've an op on Thursday. It's not my first but for reason I'm full of anxiety and fear all of a sudden. It's possibly as this is the first one where my family aren't in the country and I'll be on my own.

What are your tips on getting my shit together?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *nnyMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

I'd enjoy the fact you won't have family turning up when you'd rather be having a kip, constantly repeating the ins and outs of the procedure and so on.

Oh yes, and switch your phone off. You're there to get better

By *rightonsteveMan
over a year ago

Brighton - even Hove!

Take the op as an opportunity to recover and relax. It will make you think that nothing is more important than your health. Think of something new to do when you're all better. Good luck and get well

By *uke olovingmanMan
over a year ago

Gravesend

Good luck . if you want company fire up fab if you can

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Tight buttocks.

By *iewMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Angus & Findhorn

all the best

By *rightonsteveMan
over a year ago

Brighton - even Hove!

"

Tight buttocks."

I'm assuming that's what you've got

over a year ago

"Take the op as an opportunity to recover and relax. It will make you think that nothing is more important than your health. Think of something new to do when you're all better. Good luck and get well "

Thanks! I'm struggling with the "it'll be okay and you'll get a chance to recover" bit, anxious over the high odds of something going tits up

over a year ago

I hope everything goes well for you. I (few half) had 2 ops at the end of 2013 and the evening before I went for a massage. I found relaxed me enough to sleep reasonable well. I also took an mp3 player with me so I could zone out listening to music while waiting to go down to theater.

over a year ago

"I hope everything goes well for you. I (few half) had 2 ops at the end of 2013 and the evening before I went for a massage. I found relaxed me enough to sleep reasonable well. I also took an mp3 player with me so I could zone out listening to music while waiting to go down to theater."

Female half even

over a year ago

I know how you feel OP.

I had a minor operation and spent a whole day & night on my own in the hospital, wasn't best pleased but it was the circumstances at the time.

For me music always helps along with good reading material & relaxation breathing.

The procedure will be the same whether you are on your own or not so try not to worry.

Good luck and I hope you're feeling well soon..x

By *erbyDalesCplCouple
over a year ago

Derbyshire

Sorry OP, I meant to post on here yesterday but was distracted elsewhere

I know how you're feeling, but you'll really be fine. They do hundreds of these ops every week, so the chances of yours going tits-up is very small, plus in the case of any complications, you couldn't be in a better place. (A bit like getting run over by an ambulance )

Personally I think all these statistics they give you don't help at all. I just asked "okay, doc, but if it were you sitting here, would you have it done?" and that was good enough for me.

You will be fine, I promise, so don't forget to update us when you're better.

Good luck

Mr ddc

By *ouple in LancashireCouple
over a year ago

in Lancashire

"Sorry OP, I meant to post on here yesterday but was distracted elsewhere

I know how you're feeling, but you'll really be fine. They do hundreds of these ops every week, so the chances of yours going tits-up is very small, plus in the case of any complications, you couldn't be in a better place. (A bit like getting run over by an ambulance )

Personally I think all these statistics they give you don't help at all. I just asked "okay, doc, but if it were you sitting here, would you have it done?" and that was good enough for me.

You will be fine, I promise, so don't forget to update us when you're better.

Good luck

Mr ddc"

this..

and speak to the staff about your fears etc..

By *om and JennieCouple
over a year ago

Chams or Socials

I find the hanging round waiting for theatre really stressful so tell them I'm scared etc & they try & bump you up the list.

Music is a big help & Bach remedies.

Are you going to be a day patient? If so remember you can't use electrical equipment such as kettle for 24 hours after (unless this has changed recently). Try & relax if you can xx

over a year ago

Thanks for the support I'll be taking the advice seriously.

I'll be in a short stay unit, hopefully out on Friday. I've had smaller ones before and didn't worry, for some reason this one has left me terrified.

Post new Message to Thread