Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

This Wednesday's Budget

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

This Wednesday we will have the first Conservative Budget since Ken Clarke's in 1997.

According to the Telegraph Chancellor George Osborne will announce the following 6 changes:-

1. The inheritance tax threshold to increase £1million for couples from 2017. This new “family home allowance” will be worth £175,000 per person and will come on top of the existing £325,000 tax free allowance

It will mean that the estates of individuals who die and pass on assets worth up to £500,000, including a home, will be charged no inheritance tax at all.

2. The BBC will be expected to take on the £650 million-a-year bill for providing free television licences for the over 75s by making cuts to its own budget.

3. Some 340,000 local authority and housing association tenants on incomes of £40,000 or more in London and £30,000 in the rest of England will be told that from 2017/18 they will have to pay a market, or near market, rent

4. The benefits cap per household will fall from £26,000 to £23,000 in London – but will fall further to as little as £20,000 in other areas of the UK where the cost of living is less.

5.Britain’s benefits bill will fall by £12billion over the next two years. George Osborne, the Chancellor, said he had “found” the savings, such as limiting child tax credits to two children

6. A further clampdown on wealthy individuals claiming ‘non-domicile’ status – as part of a £5billion clampdown on tax avoidance.

I think we should be doing more on tax avoidance, especially in respect of the self-employed. It's far too easy for them to pay a lot less tax than employed people. I guess it's impossible to police it enough though.

Will there be any surprises in there? I doubt it - we seem to know most of it already.

Does it seem a good budget for the UK?

(closed, thread got too big)

Reply privately

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Well, when the whingers start their moaning just remember who voted them in. Personally, i hope Osborne will out Thatcher Thatcher / Tebbit / Lilley - it leads us open to another Independence push

Reply privately

over a year ago

I think the changes to the inheritance tax are a very good thing. My family are not wealthy, but have been affected by this because of Londons spiraling house prices.

Reply privately

By *aneandpaulCouple
over a year ago

cleveleys

Did not vote could not vote for one or the other and the rest are just a waste of time

Reply privately

over a year ago

All I know if it is a Tory budget the poor will get poorer and guess what happens to the rich !!!!

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Well, when the whingers start their moaning just remember who voted them in. Personally, i hope Osborne will out Thatcher Thatcher / Tebbit / Lilley - it leads us open to another Independence push"

Personally, I'd like you to stay part of the UK , but that's a completely different debate.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I think the changes to the inheritance tax are a very good thing. My family are not wealthy, but have been affected by this because of Londons spiraling house prices. "

House prices are crazy and especially in London!

Reply privately

over a year ago

Well with child poverty abolished, the child tax credit cuts aren't really going to affect anyone..... The hardworking families will just pull the money out their arses....

Child poverty conquered by education.... That NO FUCKER CAN AFFORD.... Yay ??

Reply privately

By *ystical_InkedBBWWoman
over a year ago

somewhere in the Shire of Derby

The government have no concept on what it is like to live as a family on a low income who rely on top up credits or a disabled person who relies on disability payments to pay for extra help. People who have lost their jobs get into a mess financially because the bills don't go away if you lose your job, credit payments become debts and they still have to be paid. You can't just end contracts because you lose your job and payment protection plans only last so long. Schools demand money all the time as 'contributions' or trips and events can't take place. But the goverments are happy to throw £100billion to HS2 for a few fast trains that will only benefit 1-2% of the population. They need to change the corporate tax system as that is an area that should be bringing £billions into the country too.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"This Wednesday we will have the first Conservative Budget since Ken Clarke's in 1997.

According to the Telegraph Chancellor George Osborne will announce the following 6 changes:-

1. The inheritance tax threshold to increase £1million for couples from 2017. This new “family home allowance” will be worth £175,000 per person and will come on top of the existing £325,000 tax free allowance

It will mean that the estates of individuals who die and pass on assets worth up to £500,000, including a home, will be charged no inheritance tax at all.

2. The BBC will be expected to take on the £650 million-a-year bill for providing free television licences for the over 75s by making cuts to its own budget.

3. Some 340,000 local authority and housing association tenants on incomes of £40,000 or more in London and £30,000 in the rest of England will be told that from 2017/18 they will have to pay a market, or near market, rent

4. The benefits cap per household will fall from £26,000 to £23,000 in London – but will fall further to as little as £20,000 in other areas of the UK where the cost of living is less.

5.Britain’s benefits bill will fall by £12billion over the next two years. George Osborne, the Chancellor, said he had “found” the savings, such as limiting child tax credits to two children

6. A further clampdown on wealthy individuals claiming ‘non-domicile’ status – as part of a £5billion clampdown on tax avoidance.

I think we should be doing more on tax avoidance, especially in respect of the self-employed. It's far too easy for them to pay a lot less tax than employed people. I guess it's impossible to police it enough though.

Will there be any surprises in there? I doubt it - we seem to know most of it already.

Does it seem a good budget for the UK?

"

1. Good - Why should the government get 40% of what you have worked hard (and saved hard) to achieve in your lifetime; just because you wish to leave it to your children?

2. Good. Perhaps it will encourage the BBC into less bureaucracy and better programming that people want to watch (and that they can sell to foreign markets)

4. Pretty poor - it will create more poverty. A better solution would be a sliding benefits scale that encourages people into work while maintaining an income what you can live on.

5. Good - with exceptions (such as when you find out your second baby is twins!).

6. Very good.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I think the changes to the inheritance tax are a very good thing. My family are not wealthy, but have been affected by this because of Londons spiraling house prices. "

Again instrad of hitying large corps ie starbucks etc for correct tax etc which by the way that all went wuiet I wonder why.

Tax rules can ve changed overnight but because its easier to target those on benefits why bother.

Agree with poster idiots that voted for them cannot complain much.

Reply privately

over a year ago

It will be interested in seeing what deals Osbourne has for Scotland following the 'Highland Spring' of the General Election.

Because two months into the new four year terms and there is hardly a peep from the new Scottish 'power base' in Westminster. They seem to have done absolutely sod all, mainly because they have no real power.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

5. Good - with exceptions (such as when you find out your second baby is twins!).

"

Good point. More combined families will be better off living apart too - if you each have children and it takes you over two in the household.

Reply privately

By *rightonsteveMan
over a year ago

Brighton - even Hove!

I think the BBC might show more re-runs and repeats and more cheap television shows.

The screws are certainly tightening more on those least able to afford and complain about it.

Reply privately

over a year ago

I guess uk will be like Greece in a couple of years on its knees asking for money from Germany with them clowns as PMs, this is a curtain call to move abroad.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I guess uk will be like Greece in a couple of years on its knees asking for money from Germany with them clowns as PMs, this is a curtain call to move abroad."

I don't think we will Shag. What makes you think that ? Our economy is much stronger than Greece's.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I guess uk will be like Greece in a couple of years on its knees asking for money from Germany with them clowns as PMs, this is a curtain call to move abroad.

I don't think we will Shag. What makes you think that ? Our economy is much stronger than Greece's. "

Like with all the cut backs and things, they do it way to quick, the way to establish the economy better is to do it on a 10 year plan.

Reply privately

over a year ago

I didn't vote Tory never have never will they have never done anything I wanted and I feel like I got dumped on by a party that I have nothing in common with

Reply privately

over a year ago

The Tories think cutting tax credit for the working poor will encourage the employers to increase wages !!!! Pigs might fly as well !!

Reply privately

By *parklesglitzWoman
over a year ago

Mancs

I think the benefit clampdown has been along time coming personally

If you dont want to work fine dont have benefits what we the tax payers pay

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I think the benefit clampdown has been along time coming personally

"

I have no problem with that but the folj that really need it are being hammered as well.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Can't see how they can cut tax credits really as when you get them it states the minimum the law says you need to live on.. and then gives the amount you need from tax credits to top it up...

It also isn't them That set the minimum a family needs either x

Reply privately

By *isscheekychopsWoman
over a year ago

The land of grey peas and bacon

I do think cutting tax credits is playing with fire I just hope it doesn't back fire on them because it does help those families who want to work top up often low pay wages.

Reply privately

By *parklesglitzWoman
over a year ago

Mancs

I have no problem with that but the folj that really need it are being hammered as well."

They need to stop letting people who aren't seeking asylum

We need to sort our country out then look at helping other countries out

The nhs is a mess

The government is in a mess

No housing for everyone

And sort the homeless issue out.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I guess uk will be like Greece in a couple of years on its knees asking for money from Germany with them clowns as PMs, this is a curtain call to move abroad."

You don't have a clue. You really don't. Off you go then don't buy a return ticket.

Greece is nothing like the UK.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I guess uk will be like Greece in a couple of years on its knees asking for money from Germany with them clowns as PMs, this is a curtain call to move abroad.

You don't have a clue. You really don't. Off you go then don't buy a return ticket.

Greece is nothing like the UK. "

lol not going till next year. We will see the outcome tomorrow.

Reply privately

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"

"

looks like it is not going to be 12 million anymore.... looks like it is likely to now be about 8 billion...

I think they have finally realised too hard too fast... and i think they believed they would never win the election outright, so in any coalition agreement that would have been negoiated down

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

looks like it is not going to be 12 million anymore.... looks like it is likely to now be about 8 billion...

I think they have finally realised too hard too fast... and i think they believed they would never win the election outright, so in any coalition agreement that would have been negoiated down"

Let's hope they slow it down.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Rumours are getting rife that this budget is going to be a "radical" one.

I'm guessing radical means... Bye bye tax credits... Hello tax reductions

Reply privately

over a year ago

if they go ahead and cut tax credits they are going to put thousands of low paid housholds into poverty.does anyone remember the speech that camoron gave saying he would make work pay for everyone.so how is cutting tax credits going to help .them employers are not going to put up the wages of the low paid.utter madness from the tories

Reply privately

By *iamondjoeMan
over a year ago

Glastonbury

*whispers it*

Pensions reform

Reply privately

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

[Removed by poster at 08/07/15 11:40:20]

Reply privately

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"*whispers it*

Pensions reform"

not a chance.... they have just redone it all which starts as of next year....

the only think they would possibly do is remove the "triple lock" but they wont do it because its their voters.....

Reply privately

over a year ago

It's just a guess but

I'll go with cutting money for poor people and cutting tax for well off people! But most of all

I shouldn't moan.... More champers anyone

Reply privately

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

there was a rumour it may be something radical like combining income tax and ni together.... but we shall see....

Reply privately

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

It's a fiscally prudent way of shafting the poor.

North south divide consolidated. Bankers and businesses let off lightly.

Hot air about tax recovery that will come to little. Their actions at summits to stop avoidance show their intentions, ie nothing. Judge by actions not hot air.

Low paid punished for being low paid and not bankers that caused our financial crash. Businesses encouraged by stealth to continue low wages, with the rest of us supporting their operations by paying tax credits to their staff.

Reply privately

By *litterbabeWoman
over a year ago

hiding from cock pics.

I know they won't do it but I hope they abolish universal credit as from bits and pieces i have heard its put some very vulnerable people on the streets.

Reply privately

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

1% limited payrise per year for public sector workers for the next 4 years

Reply privately

over a year ago

did he just say 8 billion more for the NHS ??

Reply privately

over a year ago

"did he just say 8 billion more for the NHS ?? "

By 2020

Reply privately

over a year ago

I hope the meek get something...

Reply privately

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

oooh... taken most of labour's ideas with regards to nom doms... interesting

Reply privately

over a year ago

"1% limited payrise per year for public sector workers for the next 4 years"

Not to bad now.

But wait till that inflation kicks in next year.... It will be like having a 4% cut year on year

Reply privately

over a year ago

No banking reform then

Reply privately

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"1% limited payrise per year for public sector workers for the next 4 years.

Not to bad now.

But wait till that inflation kicks in next year.... It will be like having a 4% cut year on year"

that is exactly why i am waiting on him to give inflation targets later in the speech.........

Reply privately

over a year ago

fuck a duck.. road tax being used for actual roads!!! about time

Reply privately

over a year ago

Ved up on new cars.... About time

Reply privately

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

oooh... "new car" tax to pay for road maintainance...

and mot first test date going up from 3 to 4 years...

fuel duty remains frozen

Reply privately

By *iewMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Angus & Findhorn

any tax cuts yet ?

Reply privately

over a year ago

Greece is nothing like the UK. lol not going till next year. We will see the outcome tomorrow."

Why do you think Spains population has fallen for the last 3 years running?

Reply privately

over a year ago

"any tax cuts yet ? "

They save them for the cheer at the end.. Heeeerrrree wave my subsided lunch menu!

Reply privately

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

student maintainace grant going (remember that only applies to england..)

Reply privately

By *iewMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Angus & Findhorn

"any tax cuts yet ? .

They save them for the cheer at the end.. Heeeerrrree wave my subsided lunch menu!"

cheers

Reply privately

over a year ago

A fairer housing policy... This will be good

Reply privately

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

more devolved powers for greater manchester... talks with leeds, liverpool and sheffield, transfer of powers for west midlands... and minor devolution for cornwall...

Reply privately

By *isscheekychopsWoman
over a year ago

£3 on a packet of fags

Reply privately

over a year ago

Lol the rich have NEVER paid inheritance tax!

Now the middle classes aren't either!.

Wtf is going to pay the extra tax?

Reply privately

By *isscheekychopsWoman
over a year ago

"Lol the rich have NEVER paid inheritance tax!

Wtf is going to pay the extra tax?"

Ermmm I am taking a guess it will be the poor

Reply privately

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"Lol the rich have NEVER paid inheritance tax!

Wtf is going to pay the extra tax?"

the change in pension tax relief for higher rate earners will cover that easily...

Reply privately

over a year ago

Cooperation tax cut again... Even though were one of the lowest in the world already.... Who'd have guessed

Reply privately

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

okay.. didn't see the cut in corperation tax coming... could have tied that to business playing the living wage.. missed a trick!

Reply privately

over a year ago

I think there's some good parts to it that listen to where the economy is at. No budget pleases anyone, and those who understand economics appreciate its a tough climate. I'm not a Tory fan but they've been selected as leaders and labour didn't do great.

But child poverty isn't getting better, which is my biggest gripe when compared to some tax situations or spending on areas that aren't related to social value.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Limiting child tax credit

Something I agree on for once

Reply privately

By *iewMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Angus & Findhorn

"Limiting child tax credit

Something I agree "

Reply privately

By *isscheekychopsWoman
over a year ago

Have they limited it to two children?

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Have they limited it to two children? "
.Yeah

Reply privately

over a year ago

i actually think this budget is pretty good..

Reply privately

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

personal allowance going up 11,000 basic, higher going up to 43,000

Reply privately

By *iewMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Angus & Findhorn

I voted correctly

Reply privately

By *isscheekychopsWoman
over a year ago

"Have they limited it to two children? .Yeah"

I am in agreement with that also

Reply privately

By *iewMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Angus & Findhorn

"personal allowance going up 11,000 basic, higher going up to 43,000"

cheers

Reply privately

over a year ago

With quick maths were up

£3500 a year!

Should just about pay for the rise on my cigars.... Huzzah

Reply privately

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"Have they limited it to two children? "

only for those who have two children born after april 2017.... will not account for people having mulitple births

so people who already get it will keep it

Reply privately

By *iewMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Angus & Findhorn

"With quick maths were up

£3500 a year!

Should just about pay for the rise on my cigars.... Huzzah "

well done

Reply privately

over a year ago

Heeeerrrreese the cheer.... Drinks lady just came out

Reply privately

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

wow.... minimum wage basically going to close to living wage.... 7.20 starting next year

Reply privately

over a year ago

national living wage!! *big cheers*

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Have they limited it to two children?

only for those who have two children born after april 2017.... will not account for people having mulitple births

so people who already get it will keep it"

Seems fair

Reply privately

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 08/07/15 13:49:11]

Reply privately

over a year ago

"personal allowance going up 11,000 basic, higher going up to 43,000"

End of the day you can't please everyone. Overall it looks like a good budget.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Did he just say eien Reich eien chancellor eien volk

Reply privately

over a year ago

so people who already get it will keep it"

I guess it had to be done that way our else people would have plunged into poverty. It's terrible that people have been able to live by popping out children, this is a good change.

Reply privately

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

have to say... rather impressed with the juggling skills that have gone on

Reply privately

over a year ago

"have to say... rather impressed with the juggling skills that have gone on"

living wage! wooo hooooo

Reply privately

over a year ago

When will you people realise austerity is an ideological programme!

They use propaganda such as benefit street and illegal immigrants to make you think this is the area to cut when you look at figures for fraud and immigrants it makes up less than 1% of the benefits bill.

austerity is like a cloak a robber pulls over eyes to allow someone (conservatives) to rob another (poor).you seriously think this money 'saved' is going anywhere other than private pockets? Its about profit and believe it or not the department of work and pensions has to make profit just like any other public business...welcome to United Kingdom PLC

by the way greece said no to austerity remember greece is what started democracy so they know more inherently.Yes they owe money to the european banks but why should they? A bank is there to print money not to make profit!

Reply privately

over a year ago

An excellent budget

Reply privately

By *iewMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Angus & Findhorn

"An excellent budget "

Reply privately

over a year ago

I guess it had to be done that way our else people would have plunged into poverty. It's terrible that people have been able to live by popping out children, this is a good change."

so what about those that have worked all their adult life... Something happens ...They had 4 children and wham... They have to take a lower paid job... And only get tax credits for two.... Another thing If you sat on benefits having child after child x

Reply privately

over a year ago

Was there anything on climate change? Or are we just gonna fry and suffocate a bit richer than we would've done before

Reply privately

over a year ago

"When will you people realise austerity is an ideological programme!

They use propaganda such as benefit street and illegal immigrants to make you think this is the area to cut when you look at figures for fraud and immigrants it makes up less than 1% of the benefits bill.

austerity is like a cloak a robber pulls over eyes to allow someone (conservatives) to rob another (poor).you seriously think this money 'saved' is going anywhere other than private pockets? Its about profit and believe it or not the department of work and pensions has to make profit just like any other public business...welcome to United Kingdom PLC

by the way greece said no to austerity remember greece is what started democracy so they know more inherently.Yes they owe money to the european banks but why should they? A bank is there to print money not to make profit! "

So we should all just queue up, let the bank print us anything we want and not have to worry about paying it back?

3 bedroom homes and a car in every garage for all, regardless of how hard they work?

Reply privately

over a year ago

I guess it had to be done that way our else people would have plunged into poverty. It's terrible that people have been able to live by popping out children, this is a good change. so what about those that have worked all their adult life... Something happens ...They had 4 children and wham... They have to take a lower paid job... And only get tax credits for two.... Another thing If you sat on benefits having child after child x"

IF a child is born after 2017 then you wont get any aditional help.. if you already have 4 children nothing will change..

Reply privately

over a year ago

by the way greece said no to austerity remember greece is what started democracy so they know more inherently.Yes they owe money to the european banks but why should they? A bank is there to print money not to make profit!

So we should all just queue up, let the bank print us anything we want and not have to worry about paying it back?

3 bedroom homes and a car in every garage for all, regardless of how hard they work?"

well thats how it used to be pre usury(interest) days...the government had the right to print money backed by gold...but now its the imf or european and world banks that lend money on interest to governments which obviously doesnt work

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Was there anything on climate change? Or are we just gonna fry and suffocate a bit richer than we would've done before "

Lol... No

Despite Dave's moccasins and green cycling.... He pretty much scrapped everything last term

Reply privately

over a year ago

I guess it had to be done that way our else people would have plunged into poverty. It's terrible that people have been able to live by popping out children, this is a good change. so what about those that have worked all their adult life... Something happens ...They had 4 children and wham... They have to take a lower paid job... And only get tax credits for two.... Another thing If you sat on benefits having child after child x"

I guess beyond 2017 people will need to calculate if they can in fact have 4 children. It's risk management such as when you take out a mortgage or other loan. If there's going to be a change in your circumstances, can you manage to survive on reduced income or single wage.

But then again I admit my _iewpoint is blurred as i think the concept of 4 children to be somewhat selfish and irresponsible when there is overpopulation in many countries of the world and resources are becoming pretty scarce.

Reply privately

By *oo hotCouple
over a year ago

North West

"An excellent budget "

If the Conservatives can follow that plan and pull this off, Labour can forget about being in government until 2025 at the earliest.

High wage, low tax, low welfare economy

Reply privately

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

2 interesting points.....

1) because they want inflation to be around the 2% mark... it means that the public sector workers, and work base benefits will suffer a real terms cut....

2) if the goal if the people working an average of 30hr per week in a "minium wage/living wage" job not to pay any tax.... and it is going to be £9 pound per week by 2020..... then the personal allowance would have to be £14,040....

the goal was for the personal allowance was 12,500 by 2020..... something isn't right?

Reply privately

By *eedelightsWoman
over a year ago

London

"1% limited payrise per year for public sector workers for the next 4 years"

Won't know just what to spend it all on

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Have they limited it to two children? .Yeah

I am in agreement with that also "

But who is willing to see, and tell a child to go hungry or go without shoes, because "we" don't want to help? They didn't ask to be born. It's chipping away at the welfare state, slowly in small steps, to get us used to the future where we won't have any welfare.

Reply privately

By *iewMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Angus & Findhorn

But who is willing to see, and tell a child to go hungry or go without shoes, because "we" don't want to help? They didn't ask to be born. It's chipping away at the welfare state, slowly in small steps, to get us used to the future where we won't have any welfare."

is it not new children

Reply privately

over a year ago

"1% limited payrise per year for public sector workers for the next 4 years

Won't know just what to spend it all on "

ive never had a payrise so enjoy your 1%

Reply privately

over a year ago

But who is willing to see, and tell a child to go hungry or go without shoes, because "we" don't want to help? They didn't ask to be born. It's chipping away at the welfare state, slowly in small steps, to get us used to the future where we won't have any welfare.

is it not new children"

All children born after 2017

Reply privately

By *iewMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Angus & Findhorn

is it not new children

All children born after 2017"

aye, that's what I thought... cheers

Reply privately

By *heBirminghamWeekendMan
over a year ago

here

"more devolved powers for greater manchester... talks with leeds, liverpool and sheffield, transfer of powers for west midlands... and minor devolution for cornwall..."

Was hoping for the North East to be governed from Holyrood

Reply privately

By *dwalu2Couple
over a year ago

Bristol

"An excellent budget

If the Conservatives can follow that plan and pull this off, Labour can forget about being in government until 2025 at the earliest.

High wage, low tax, low welfare economy "

Indeed! Now all the government will have to do is create the jobs where people can earn these high wages.

On that point, of course, they have nothing. So once again, welcome to UK 2015. Don't get ill, don't get young, don't get unemployed.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"2 interesting points.....

1) because they want inflation to be around the 2% mark... it means that the public sector workers, and work base benefits will suffer a real terms cut....

2) if the goal if the people working an average of 30hr per week in a "minium wage/living wage" job not to pay any tax.... and it is going to be £9 pound per week by 2020..... then the personal allowance would have to be £14,040....

the goal was for the personal allowance was 12,500 by 2020..... something isn't right?"

Are MPs public sector workers? Or does the 1% maximum rise not count if you work in a palace?

Reply privately

over a year ago

is it not new children

aye, that's what I thought... cheers"

I'd limit it at two whether your paying for them or not....

Reply privately

By *iewMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Angus & Findhorn

is it not new children

aye, that's what I thought... cheers.

I'd limit it at two whether your paying for them or not...."

me too

Reply privately

over a year ago

What was the projected inflation rate anyhow Fabio

Reply privately

over a year ago

I guess it had to be done that way our else people would have plunged into poverty. It's terrible that people have been able to live by popping out children, this is a good change. so what about those that have worked all their adult life... Something happens ...They had 4 children and wham... They have to take a lower paid job... And only get tax credits for two.... Another thing If you sat on benefits having child after child x

I guess beyond 2017 people will need to calculate if they can in fact have 4 children. It's risk management such as when you take out a mortgage or other loan. If there's going to be a change in your circumstances, can you manage to survive on reduced income or single wage.

But then again I admit my _iewpoint is blurred as i think the concept of 4 children to be somewhat selfish and irresponsible when there is overpopulation in many countries of the world and resources are becoming pretty scarce."

You should go and live in China then old boy and make more room for my 4 lovely daughters. Despite having to pay more on my dividends next year I will still be delighted to buy you a one way ticket!

Reply privately

over a year ago

I had four lovely foxs in my back garden but it was too much, so I shot two.... Unfortunately I shot both the females and now I'm deluged with gay foxs taunting me with their fluffy tales... Still it won't last!

Reply privately

over a year ago

is it not new children

me too "

So is it okay by you, if when little Johnny is telling his mum in 2020 that his feet hurt because his shoes are too tight, that she says "well its either shoes or good", and he asks why, that she say " there's a bloke on FAB who will explain it to you? Do you want to take food out of a kids mouth. Because that will be the outcome. The answer is simple. Means tested child benefit.

Reply privately

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"What was the projected inflation rate anyhow Fabio"

he didn't say... so i am assuming that the OBR Figures in this one to check.. otherwise i would assume its the same as it was in the last budget in march

Reply privately

over a year ago

Do people honestly think that someone shallow enough to bring a child into the world to gain a bit more state money, is really going to be affected by the cut in child benefit? Do you not think they will just scam the money from the state another way?

Reply privately

over a year ago

is it not new children

me too

So is it okay by you, if when little Johnny is telling his mum in 2020 that his feet hurt because his shoes are too tight, that she says "well its either shoes or good", and he asks why, that she say " there's a bloke on FAB who will explain it to you? Do you want to take food out of a kids mouth. Because that will be the outcome. The answer is simple. Means tested child benefit."

No I think the answer is education and then people who think having four kids Is good might think... Actually.... Were out of control, were like fucking rats, scurrying around nawwing away at the biosphere were stuck on.... Earth!

Reply privately

over a year ago

Are Catholics exempt from the 2 child limit?

Reply privately

over a year ago

"What was the projected inflation rate anyhow Fabio

he didn't say... so i am assuming that the OBR Figures in this one to check.. otherwise i would assume its the same as it was in the last budget in march"

According to Carney, he expects it to rise sharply over the next two years!... He didn't clarify the sharply wording though in the inter_iew

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Are Catholics exempt from the 2 child limit?"

Fuck no they should be limited to none

Reply privately

over a year ago

I guess it had to be done that way our else people would have plunged into poverty. It's terrible that people have been able to live by popping out children, this is a good change. so what about those that have worked all their adult life... Something happens ...They had 4 children and wham... They have to take a lower paid job... And only get tax credits for two.... Another thing If you sat on benefits having child after child x

But then again I admit my _iewpoint is blurred as i think the concept of 4 children to be somewhat selfish and irresponsible when there is overpopulation in many countries of the world and resources are becoming pretty scarce.

You should go and live in China then old boy and make more room for my 4 lovely daughters. Despite having to pay more on my dividends next year I will still be delighted to buy you a one way ticket! "

Been to Hong Kong, looking to go to China in the next couple of years so if you'd like to pay half off that'd be great as I can fund my own way back

Reply privately

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"Are Catholics exempt from the 2 child limit?"

the flippant answer is only if the "1st birth" (triplets or more) or the "2nd birth" is a multiple birth (twins or more)....

but it might not be far from the truth

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Are Catholics exempt from the 2 child limit?.

Fuck no they should be limited to none"

Hark at Henry the VIII here!!!

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I hope the meek get something... "

Blessed art thou!

Reply privately

By *ouple in LancashireCouple
over a year ago

in Lancashire

"An excellent budget

High wage, low tax, low welfare economy "

so in this 'high wage' economy do we now see the end of the ridiculous situation whereby people in full time employment are so poorly paid that they can claim working tax credit?

Reply privately

By *eedelightsWoman
over a year ago

London

"1% limited payrise per year for public sector workers for the next 4 years

Won't know just what to spend it all on

ive never had a payrise so enjoy your 1% "

So much to do with it ,not sure where to start

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Are Catholics exempt from the 2 child limit?

the flippant answer is only if the "1st birth" (triplets or more) or the "2nd birth" is a multiple birth (twins or more)....

but it might not be far from the truth"

The holy trinity of child birth .. Still at least he only promised them aids and syphilus and not whole swathes of other people's countries!

I've got a real downer on humans since watching humans

Reply privately

over a year ago

Hark at Henry the VIII here!!! "

Was he the nut who thought six wives was a good idea

Reply privately

over a year ago

Just a thought, but the bill for housing benefit is pushed up by private landlords raising rents. Now, this is a bit off the wall but bare with me, what if all people on housing benefit were in state owned housing? Would that not bring an element of control to housing benefit costs? And the landlords of private accommodation would be free to set there prices at whatever level they liked, without worrying that the govt would step in to introduce rent caps. Don't we need work for brickies, plumbers, carpenters, leckies....or are they all working on private houses?

Reply privately

By *ouple in LancashireCouple
over a year ago

in Lancashire

"

Are MPs public sector workers? Or does the 1% maximum rise not count if you work in a palace? "

Now then we should all remember that they are a special type of employee paid by the state and they have their own 'independent body' who has just given them a 10% increase..

Reply privately

over a year ago

IF a child is born after 2017 then you wont get any aditional help.. if you already have 4 children nothing will change.. "

Yes I know that but what I am saying is how is that fair on those with larger families in the future. I think it should be limited to no more children added after the start...

I guess people even if they can afford it now will have to think twice about having more than one child. As tax credits doesn't give you much really for the child its meant for... Let alone trying to make it go further.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Just a thought, but the bill for housing benefit is pushed up by private landlords raising rents. Now, this is a bit off the wall but bare with me, what if all people on housing benefit were in state owned housing? Would that not bring an element of control to housing benefit costs? And the landlords of private accommodation would be free to set there prices at whatever level they liked, without worrying that the govt would step in to introduce rent caps. Don't we need work for brickies, plumbers, carpenters, leckies....or are they all working on private houses?"

Tories have never been good at housing policies.

Well they have but usually though shifting cheap rental state housing to high cost private housing... And then they moan at how much were spending on housing benefit... But to be fair they have made a start with lowering the tax on buy to let

Reply privately

over a year ago

I wonder if in 9 months time we will have a baby boom as people try to have a child that is Born before the cut off dates

Reply privately

By *reelove1969Couple
over a year ago

bristol

[Removed by poster at 08/07/15 14:55:38]

Reply privately

over a year ago

Hark at Henry the VIII here!!! ...

Was he the nut who thought six wives was a good idea "

Well they kept dieing on him. A man has needs!

Reply privately

over a year ago

I don't know about denying people benefits if they have more than two children... but I think there's a case to be made for taxing people if they have more than two lovers

Hmmm perhaps this is the wrong forum to whip up support for that policy

Reply privately

By *inkyHnSCouple
over a year ago

The Council of Elrond

S - Here after today it give me another reason to have a 2nd Scottish referendum since Scotland doesnt like the Tories and we never voted Tory the other reason would be EVEL the min it gets voted in its the end of the union.

Reply privately

over a year ago

People will find a way around the 2 child policy... And it will actually cost more.

Parents will live separately claiming benefits (in whatever form, working or not)in order to bypass the 2 child rule.... I've seen it before.

Reply privately

over a year ago

A lot of decent policies, but as a student I can see the removal of maintenance grants being a right kick in the teeth to potential Uni goers.

Fortunately I am about to start my final year & will therefore just miss having to take out -another- loan. First tuition fees tripled, now no grants? I feel super sorry for those younger than me (my brothers, for example).

I understand we'll be able to claim more in the loan, but the whole point of the grant is the fact it doesn't have to be paid back. I know so many people who would have been/will be affected by this :/

Reply privately

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"An excellent budget

High wage, low tax, low welfare economy

so in this 'high wage' economy do we now see the end of the ridiculous situation whereby people in full time employment are so poorly paid that they can claim working tax credit? "

for a single working person, no children, who does the average 35 hrs a week... the answer should be yes from what i am reading now....

a lot of the devil is going to be in the detail...

for example the "national living wage" is only going to be applicable to those over 25...., and is still below the "real living wage"

Reply privately

over a year ago

You can see the big companies now, already doing the calculations that employing those under 25 will save them a lot of money. Zero hour contracts will mean those under 25 getting more and those over getting Zero.

Profits up,wage bill down and everyone is over the moon about it.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"People will find a way around the 2 child policy... And it will actually cost more.

Parents will live separately claiming benefits (in whatever form, working or not)in order to bypass the 2 child rule.... I've seen it before."

Is it two per person or per couple!

Reply privately

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"A lot of decent policies, but as a student I can see the removal of maintenance grants being a right kick in the teeth to potential Uni goers.

Fortunately I am about to start my final year & will therefore just miss having to take out -another- loan. First tuition fees tripled, now no grants? I feel super sorry for those younger than me (my brothers, for example).

I understand we'll be able to claim more in the loan, but the whole point of the grant is the fact it doesn't have to be paid back. I know so many people who would have been/will be affected by this :/"

i don't it will as such.. because as with the tuition fees it doesn't start being paid back until someone reaches the average wage (so at the moment 21,000)

what it does do is put the devolved regions (scotland, wales and northern ireland) in a quandry as to whether they want to follow... or whether they want to keep it, but it will come out of the devolved budgets.....

Reply privately

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

He's probably talked of the same £8 billion a number of times, and will continue to do so, as if it's extra money, each and every time he mentions it.

Unless the public were to pore over the NHS budget, the actual numbers aren't that intelligible, and just sound like lots of cash.

Reply privately

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

It's a pretty pathological approach to shrinking the state, at the expense of the masses, while their means to exist in much but being close to poverty, are also pulled away from them.

Large family - tough: they're not caring about the well being of the average type of person here, who now may struggle more than ever to feed and clothe their kids.

And this rebranding of wages is just spin, polishing the turd, by the turds. Dismantling of our infrastructure, our well being, the safety nets for the masses, whilst the very rich are doing very nicely, thank you very much.

We're on a par with the US, in terms of a diminished state, far less than Germany - who seem to be very healthy economically. What we're getting here is ideologically driven pushes towards short termism, where the masses don't matter. However it's dressed and tarted up, most of the stuff is just smoke and mirrors to what the real ideology is that's at work.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"It's a pretty pathological approach to shrinking the state, at the expense of the masses, while their means to exist in much but being close to poverty, are also pulled away from them.

Large family - tough: they're not caring about the well being of the average type of person here, who now may struggle more than ever to feed and clothe their kids.

And this rebranding of wages is just spin, polishing the turd, by the turds. Dismantling of our infrastructure, our well being, the safety nets for the masses, whilst the very rich are doing very nicely, thank you very much.

We're on a par with the US, in terms of a diminished state, far less than Germany - who seem to be very healthy economically. What we're getting here is ideologically driven pushes towards short termism, where the masses don't matter. However it's dressed and tarted up, most of the stuff is just smoke and mirrors to what the real ideology is that's at work."

It is an ideology that won the last election and has helped to create a significant number of jobs in the private sector. Why should the state be any larger than it needs to be, the cost of which is supported by the masses??

Reply privately

By *rightonsteveMan
over a year ago

Brighton - even Hove!

"I think the BBC might show more re-runs and repeats and more cheap television shows.

The screws are certainly tightening more on those least able to afford and complain about it. "

It's all very well hoping the private sector will pay higher wages to take the place of reduced tax credits......but what if it doesn't? A moral and caring state would ensure the poor and vulnerable were protected - but they won't be.

Reply privately

over a year ago

here

"I think the BBC might show more re-runs and repeats and more cheap television shows.

The screws are certainly tightening more on those least able to afford and complain about it.

It's all very well hoping the private sector will pay higher wages to take the place of reduced tax credits......but what if it doesn't? A moral and caring state would ensure the poor and vulnerable were protected - but they won't be. "

Employer has to pay higher wage as minimum wage increasing - and personal allowance also increasing.

This has to make a difference ?

Reply privately

over a year ago

"The government have no concept on what it is like to live as a family on a low income who rely on top up credits or a disabled person who relies on disability payments to pay for extra help. People who have lost their jobs get into a mess financially because the bills don't go away if you lose your job, credit payments become debts and they still have to be paid. You can't just end contracts because you lose your job and payment protection plans only last so long. Schools demand money all the time as 'contributions' or trips and events can't take place. But the goverments are happy to throw £100billion to HS2 for a few fast trains that will only benefit 1-2% of the population. They need to change the corporate tax system as that is an area that should be bringing £billions into the country too. "

Sanity, thank you

Reply privately

over a year ago

"People will find a way around the 2 child policy... And it will actually cost more.

Parents will live separately claiming benefits (in whatever form, working or not)in order to bypass the 2 child rule.... I've seen it before..

Is it two per person or per couple!"

two per household.... That's when people have children ' living' at other adresses in order to claim for more kids....it will happen

Reply privately

over a year ago

It's the corperation tax lowering that pissed me off the most. We already had one of the lowest rates in the developed world!

There was even some dipstick on radio five on my way home being inter_iewed who said... Oh it's a great thing it gives me more money to invest back into my business?

Hey CT is a tax on profit not investment, I invested today in a new core drill and diamond core set, it doesn't come out of profit, profit is what's left after investing in my new drill!

It's what I take home, its my wage, in fact I'd be more likely to invest in more tools if they were going to up my CT because I wouldn't pay as much tax on the extra profit.

No wonder investment is on the slide in this country

Reply privately

over a year ago

"It's the corperation tax lowering that pissed me off the most. We already had one of the lowest rates in the developed world!

There was even some dipstick on radio five on my way home being inter_iewed who said... Oh it's a great thing it gives me more money to invest back into my business?

Hey CT is a tax on profit not investment, I invested today in a new core drill and diamond core set, it doesn't come out of profit, profit is what's left after investing in my new drill!

It's what I take home, its my wage, in fact I'd be more likely to invest in more tools if they were going to up my CT because I wouldn't pay as much tax on the extra profit.

No wonder investment is on the slide in this country"

The investment might not be made if cashflow is not there. A lower tax bill increases cash retained in the company and should therefore stimulate capital investment. Well that's the theory!

Reply privately

By *alandNitaCouple
over a year ago

Scunthorpe

I really liked the TagLine that was given to this budget. George apparently called it "The Country Deserves a Payrise" budget. Obviously, that is as long as you're not working for the public sector. No..... many of the Council employees are being told to take a 1% pay cut, plus a reduction in holiday and sick pay.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"It's the corperation tax lowering that pissed me off the most. We already had one of the lowest rates in the developed world!

The investment might not be made if cashflow is not there. A lower tax bill increases cash retained in the company and should therefore stimulate capital investment. Well that's the theory!"

Yeah if you were sensible!

I'm spending all mine on claret

Reply privately

over a year ago

here

The investment might not be made if cashflow is not there. A lower tax bill increases cash retained in the company and should therefore stimulate capital investment. Well that's the theory!.

Yeah if you were sensible!

I'm spending all mine on claret "

What's Corporation Tax??

Reply privately

over a year ago

"if they go ahead and cut tax credits they are going to put thousands of low paid housholds into poverty.does anyone remember the speech that camoron gave saying he would make work pay for everyone.so how is cutting tax credits going to help .them employers are not going to put up the wages of the low paid.utter madness from the tories"

I had someone working part-time for me, 24 hours. I offered them a promotion - an increase to 36 hours with double the salary. They turned it down because they would lose too many benefits and would be worse off!

Reply privately

over a year ago

here

"if they go ahead and cut tax credits they are going to put thousands of low paid housholds into poverty.does anyone remember the speech that camoron gave saying he would make work pay for everyone.so how is cutting tax credits going to help .them employers are not going to put up the wages of the low paid.utter madness from the tories

I had someone working part-time for me, 24 hours. I offered them a promotion - an increase to 36 hours with double the salary. They turned it down because they would lose too many benefits and would be worse off!"

This has to be an indication that there is something wrong with the current benefits system

Reply privately

over a year ago

Haven't heard much about the 1% social housing rental decreases, but that's about to fuck over local authority housing revenue account and social housing provider business cases big style.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Haven't heard much about the 1% social housing rental decreases, but that's about to fuck over local authority housing revenue account and social housing provider business cases big style. "

They're increasing rent though for those on higher incomes to market rent, which I guess will help a little. Social Housing will have to diversify, there was a sentence in the budget that they will be re_iewing lifetime tenancies.

I noticed it went quiet about expanding the Right to Acquire - I expected more on that today.

Something which I was pleasantly surprised by was the increase in annuities for those awarded the Victoria and George Cross paid by financial fines.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Haven't heard much about the 1% social housing rental decreases, but that's about to fuck over local authority housing revenue account and social housing provider business cases big style.

They're increasing rent though for those on higher incomes to market rent, which I guess will help a little. Social Housing will have to diversify, there was a sentence in the budget that they will be re_iewing lifetime tenancies.

I noticed it went quiet about expanding the Right to Acquire - I expected more on that today.

Something which I was pleasantly surprised by was the increase in annuities for those awarded the Victoria and George Cross paid by financial fines. "

The social housing tenants on higher incomes is mainly a London issue so I don't think it'll do much to offset the reductions in income streams for many areas.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"if they go ahead and cut tax credits they are going to put thousands of low paid housholds into poverty.does anyone remember the speech that camoron gave saying he would make work pay for everyone.so how is cutting tax credits going to help .them employers are not going to put up the wages of the low paid.utter madness from the tories

I had someone working part-time for me, 24 hours. I offered them a promotion - an increase to 36 hours with double the salary. They turned it down because they would lose too many benefits and would be worse off!"

Yes, that's often the case, and while you earn more which is great.... The cost of childcare becomes greater and due to your increased earnings and childcare help is reduce, which then eats into your promotion money and leaves you worse off....

Work should always make you better off... But it doesn't work like that, hasn't for years

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Haven't heard much about the 1% social housing rental decreases, but that's about to fuck over local authority housing revenue account and social housing provider business cases big style.

Something which I was pleasantly surprised by was the increase in annuities for those awarded the Victoria and George Cross paid by financial fines.

The social housing tenants on higher incomes is mainly a London issue so I don't think it'll do much to offset the reductions in income streams for many areas."

The social housing sector will end up becoming more like the private rented - affordable rents and short fixed term tenancies.

Reply privately

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

I haven't read through the thread yet.

It was a very clever, politically astute, budget. Of course there's lots in it I don't like but I have to admit that George pulled a blinder on this one.

Reply privately

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

That has always been on the pledge list. The NHS is still to making the expected £22bn saving though.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Apparently were £160 better off from this budget.......

Reply privately

By *icked weaselCouple
over a year ago

Near Edinburgh..

"Apparently were £160 better off from this budget......."

We 70 Quid a week Worse off..

Invest in ATOS Shares Folks..

Reply privately

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

"Apparently were £160 better off from this budget......."

A week, a month or a year?

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Apparently were £160 better off from this budget.......

"

Yearly I presume, if it was weekly I'd be doing cartwheels.

Just a quick "calculator" I did online that someone shared on Facebook

Hardly solid facts of how we're better or worse off

Reply privately

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

Additional funds for refuges welcome.

Calling the increase to the NMW a national living wage is deceptive - it is nowhere near the living wage amounts.

I liked the non-doms announcement. [All you doms who aren't very good at it need to watch out ]

Osborne talked about productivity a lot but does this budget actually do that?

Reply privately

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

Hardly solid facts of how we're better or worse off "

£13 a month - fish and chips as a treat?

Reply privately

over a year ago

Hardly solid facts of how we're better or worse off "

The BBC has a calculator as well, single income, no children full time job I'm supposedly better off by £80 per annum. I'll re invest into lottery tickets, the numbers have to come up one day!

Reply privately

By *icked weaselCouple
over a year ago

Near Edinburgh..

Buy Shares in whatever Company owns ATOS.. they making a Fair Wedge !!!

And Seems to be Guaranteed

Reply privately

By *at69driveMan
over a year ago

Hertford

austerity is like a cloak a robber pulls over eyes to allow someone (conservatives) to rob another (poor).you seriously think this money 'saved' is going anywhere other than private pockets? Its about profit and believe it or not the department of work and pensions has to make profit just like any. other public business...welcome to United Kingdom PLC

by the way greece said no to austerity remember greece is what started democracy so they know more inherently.Yes they owe money to the european banks but why should they? A bank is there to print money not to make profit! "

. How would printing money help?. It would just mean higher prices .

Reply privately

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

austerity is like a cloak a robber pulls over eyes to allow someone (conservatives) to rob another (poor).you seriously think this money 'saved' is going anywhere other than private pockets? Its about profit and believe it or not the department of work and pensions has to make profit just like any. other public business...welcome to United Kingdom PLC

by the way greece said no to austerity remember greece is what started democracy so they know more inherently.Yes they owe money to the european banks but why should they? A bank is there to print money not to make profit! . How would printing money help?. It would just mean higher prices . "

Erm, QE? It's what we did.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Make the MP's live on minimum wage for a year, see how quick it all changes

Reply privately

over a year ago

Was it a childcare cost issue that made it prohibitive for them?

Reply privately

By *nleashedCrakenMan
over a year ago

Widnes

"All I know if it is a Tory budget the poor will get poorer and guess what happens to the rich !!!! "

Maybe you should check your beliefs with the facts. The gab between the rich and the poor, historically, always seems to go up when Labour are in power and tends to fall when the Tories are. The biggest increase in the gap between rich poor was between 1998 and 2008. The actual gap between the rich and the poor fell from 2008 to 2014. In fact between 2010 and 2012 the poor actually got richer while rich got poorer.

Reply privately

By *nleashedCrakenMan
over a year ago

Widnes

"The Tories think cutting tax credit for the working poor will encourage the employers to increase wages !!!! Pigs might fly as well !! "

Or they could just increase the minimum wage to a living wage.

Oh, hold on they are!!!

Reply privately

By *nleashedCrakenMan
over a year ago

Widnes

I have no problem with that but the folj that really need it are being hammered as well."

Yea, increasing the minimum wage to £9 per hour is really going to hit the working poor.

Reply privately