Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Borderline Personality Disorder or Bipolar

Jump to newest

By *innamon! OP   Woman
over a year ago

no matter

Do any people here suffer with either of these and do you manage yourself and your medications well or tend to feel ok and stop taking them just to plummet down to a low.

Just curious about how to handle the problem when it is a friend or family member that suffers. Does medication help ?

I know there was a lady here a year or so ago that was bipolar but not seen her in some time. Thanks ..

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *oxy_minxWoman
over a year ago

Scotland - Aberdeen

I have a brother with border line but because he is over 18 we can not get any medical advise obviously or whether he is on medication which I seriously doubt he is, we will never find out unless he tells us which is just not going to happen!

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Check out Mind or rethink and see if they have any good advice.

My sister has some mental illnesses, i feel that personally for her that mediation does help her but also having proper real life support and friends helps her even more.

over a year ago

My brother was diagnosed schizophrenic with borderline psychopathy when he was in his twenties. He spent a year in hospital having therapy after threatening to kill a load of coppers when he smashed his house up.

They tested me because one of my aunties also had mental problems. Before her death she had a habit of walking out of st.james hospital and into the sea.

I'm ok though, just a bit jekyll and hyde.

over a year ago

It's not the same but I have anxiety & depression issues. I've just started on a low dose of medication for it so I'm waiting for those to kick in.

over a year ago

"Check out Mind or rethink and see if they have any good advice.

My sister has some mental illnesses, i feel that personally for her that mediation does help her but also having proper real life support and friends helps her even more."

By *iamondjoeMan
over a year ago

Glastonbury

I think there is a significant problem with the classification of mental illness in this country and the US.

If you look at the creeping way in which different methods of thinking about and coping with the world have been steadily 'medicalised' (the telephone directory--sized DSMV for example)...

It's bollocks.

As I say, we all have a touch of mental health - it just depends on how in touch you are with it.

over a year ago

Yup I've got social anxiety n bipolar I'm on mood stabilizers and seds when needed n yea as long as i keep taking them im fine all though summer is my worst time too many people about x

By *LCCCouple
over a year ago

Cambridge

You might also want to look out for free Mental Health First Aid courses that are run in your area. It is a 2 day course that is very good and very informative.

By *iamondjoeMan
over a year ago

Glastonbury

And the doctors will just fill you full of pills.

I do genuinely wonder - from both professional and personal experience - whether the majority of difficulties experienced by people with mental health problems stem not from the individual but how society at large treats them.

over a year ago

"And the doctors will just fill you full of pills.

I do genuinely wonder - from both professional and personal experience - whether the majority of difficulties experienced by people with mental health problems stem not from the individual but how society at large treats them. "

What, in the way that mental health still has a stigma attached?

By *iamondjoeMan
over a year ago

Glastonbury

I do genuinely wonder - from both professional and personal experience - whether the majority of difficulties experienced by people with mental health problems stem not from the individual but how society at large treats them.

What, in the way that mental health still has a stigma attached?"

Amongst other things, yes

over a year ago

Amongst other things, yes"

Explain? I'm curious

over a year ago

I do genuinely wonder - from both professional and personal experience - whether the majority of difficulties experienced by people with mental health problems stem not from the individual but how society at large treats them. "

Mental health is big money for big pharmaceutical companies as well.

By *iamondjoeMan
over a year ago

Glastonbury

"Amongst other things, yes

Explain? I'm curious "

The problems that most people with mental health problem suffer are those concerned with:

* loneliness

* childhood trauma

* being unable to get a job

* being unable to relate to the people around you

* if you are treated by CMHTs you're another statistic who's probably just pumped full of drugs

Where is there a place for you to live in society, to be part of that society, to be accepted by it?

These are some of the reason why mental health deteriorates.

over a year ago

Amongst other things, yes

Explain? I'm curious "

Me too. Curious to know how an individuals mental health problems stems from the way society treats them?

My brother was apparantly "touched by the finger of insanity" from birth according to my mum and all the healthcare professionals. He was treated the same. He just saw things differently

over a year ago

"I think there is a significant problem with the classification of mental illness in this country and the US.

If you look at the creeping way in which different methods of thinking about and coping with the world have been steadily 'medicalised' (the telephone directory--sized DSMV for example)...

It's bollocks.

As I say, we all have a touch of mental health - it just depends on how in touch you are with it."

agree - I would like to know where all these 'mental health' problems were years ago. There have, of course, ALWAYS been some genuine cases but nowadays it has almost become the norm to say your kid has ADHD (because you haven't a clue how to bring them up) and the number of women that claim to be bipolar has gone off the scale. Feel sorry for genuine cases who do need the help - no sympathy whatsoever for those that try and claim mental health issues simply because they cannot cope with the ups and downs of life (and yes - I know several people with REAL issues).

By *iamondjoeMan
over a year ago

Glastonbury

"I think there is a significant problem with the classification of mental illness in this country and the US.

It's bollocks.

As I say, we all have a touch of mental health - it just depends on how in touch you are with it.

agree - I would like to know where all these 'mental health' problems were years ago. There have, of course, ALWAYS been some genuine cases but nowadays it has almost become the norm to say your kid has ADHD (because you haven't a clue how to bring them up) and the number of women that claim to be bipolar has gone off the scale. Feel sorry for genuine cases who do need the help - no sympathy whatsoever for those that try and claim mental health issues simply because they cannot cope with the ups and downs of life (and yes - I know several people with REAL issues)."

New categories in DSMV include:

* Wooley-thinking syndrome (ie yr a bit cloudy from time to time)

* Bereavement Exclusion (ie some people become depressed after the death of a loved one)

While retaining the ancient and unwieldy category of schizophrenia - which is sooo broad as to be almost meaningless.

over a year ago

It's bollocks.

As I say, we all have a touch of mental health - it just depends on how in touch you are with it."

over a year ago

Not sure how the way my sister is treated by society affected her ability to know if i was real or not?

There are definitely malfunctions in the brain that cause a difference in perception from the norm.

I do think a lot of depression is caused by saying people should act a certain way, or by people being told they are something bad or abnormal. But sometimes people just come to these conclusions themselves for no obvious reason.

By *inger SiMan
over a year ago

Cambridge

Quality of life can be vastly improved by the use of correct meds and getting that right ones can be a tough a bit of a lottery depending on which service has be accessed as gp's can only prescribe certain meds and others by psychiatrists.

over a year ago

Aren't we all a little bipolar, autistic, obsessive, disturbed or challenging?

I've yet to meet a 'normal' person.

xxxx

over a year ago

oh dear,,id not wish it on anyone,the most misunderstood illness ever.

my heart goes out to anyone that suffers it or has a loved one that suffers from it,very difficult

over a year ago

"Aren't we all a little bipolar, autistic, obsessive, disturbed or challenging?

xxxx"

no,thats not true,,be thankfull you are normal

By *irtyGirlWoman
over a year ago

Edinburgh

"oh dear,,id not wish it on anyone,the most misunderstood illness ever.

my heart goes out to anyone that suffers it or has a loved one that suffers from it,very difficult"

This. It's awful for the sufferer and for their loved ones.

By *inger SiMan
over a year ago

Cambridge

xxxx"

To a degree what us normally?

How ever borderline personality disorder and bi polar are serious and many other mental health issues are very serious and life changing. Xxx

By *inger SiMan
over a year ago

Cambridge

"oh dear,,id not wish it on anyone,the most misunderstood illness ever.

my heart goes out to anyone that suffers it or has a loved one that suffers from it,very difficult"

Well said mate.

over a year ago

xxxx

no,thats not true,,be thankfull you are normal"

Time for a PM, my darling.

over a year ago

xxxx

no,thats not true,,be thankfull you are normal

Time for a PM, my darling."

lol,,im fine dear,,but ive known folk that suffer from it,,makes me cry thinkin bout it,,makes me laugh how folk use throw away remarks like "im depressed",,,"im mad",,nah their not

anyway,,kisses to anyone feelin crap,xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

over a year ago

I know this posts a year old but its the only one I can see for this mental health disease.

I got wrongly diagnosed about 4 yrs ago with cyclothymia. People close to me are 100%positive I've BPD. I'm certain too. I've my hospital appointment shortly but i just wanted to see who else suffered and are there medications

I've read theres nothing official out there for this condition. Any advice be greatly appreciated x

Post new Message to Thread